March 28, 2024, 03:11:01 PM

Author Topic: football philosophy: death of possession football?  (Read 3613 times)

Offline bakeandshark

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
football philosophy: death of possession football?
« on: July 13, 2009, 12:03:45 PM »
Eddie Hart grounds, a youth man blaze pass 3 defenders and square a beautiful ball in front the goal. The small man getting cuss.  “Why yuh eh pass the ball back to the midfield?” a old fella say.
I was introduced to the concept of possession football a while back (1990ish ) and at 11yrs it made some sense. If you have possession they can’t score, they run and get tired and when something open up you go score.
Today that doh make no sense.  The team that score the most goals win and when you attack you score.
I’m curious as to what the football philosophy is and some justification.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: football philosophy: death of possession football?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 12:11:11 PM »

Yuh giving de original ah bad name.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 12:12:07 PM »
the truth is... no one can put it down to one thing
or else we wont be following this game
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 12:25:20 PM »
The old man made a correct but out of context statement.  There needs to be a purpose for possession. What does the team on the field intend to get out of their holding the ball?

The primary purpose of possession is to move the ball and players into good attacking positions to get behind the defense and score.  The value derived here can be measured in goals.  A 3 pass possession resulting in a goal = A 15 pass possession resulting in a goal

The secondary purpose of possession is to keep the ball away from the opponent so they have less opportunities to score. The value derived here is indirect or psychological at best but important.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:11:11 PM by Lightning »
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 12:29:47 PM »

Good post
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 01:22:12 PM »
That is our problem ,we give away the ball in midfield. Dont talk about the defence they pass it to the opposition. Herein lies the problem. It is either boom kick or straight to the opponent

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »
Eddie Hart grounds, a youth man blaze pass 3 defenders and square a beautiful ball in front the goal. The small man getting cuss.  “Why yuh eh pass the ball back to the midfield?” a old fella say.
I was introduced to the concept of possession football a while back (1990ish ) and at 11yrs it made some sense. If you have possession they can’t score, they run and get tired and when something open up you go score.
Today that doh make no sense.  The team that score the most goals win and when you attack you score.
I’m curious as to what the football philosophy is and some justification.

It have to do with your plan of execution and your players.  If the youth man could do that all day with good success then let him.  If you have Kaka and Zidane in your middle, then it obvious what you need to do.
I read on the board something that goes like this.  "The ball is like a magnet, passing it around builds up the energy to attract goals."  except in the case os USA and Spain.  So I guess i with BM.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 03:11:53 PM »
A 30 yards pass from a defender to a forward resulting in a goal is just as exciting as a 10 touch possession which results in a goal. The essence of good football is to know when and how to use your skills to your advantage. With all the great ball possession Brazil, Arg, Paraguay, Uraguay does play, they play lots of long ball when the see fit. I would want our able to be able to play both possession and long ball, but at a faster pace.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 03:59:54 PM »
Is this the original B&S?
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 04:20:32 PM »

you see any cussing and bitterness?
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 05:00:27 PM »

Well i had tuh ask BC i know for ah fact that two members can't have the said exact name, and this was the case with reggae fan who had tuh reregister, and came back as a new member under the same name, so i was thinking maybe it's the same scenario.

i also think TI had the same problem.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

giggsy11

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 05:37:54 PM »

Probably did a 60days in St. Anns, some shock therapy or somebody finally caught up with him bitch slapped some manners into him!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 05:56:43 PM »

Probably did a 60days in St. Anns, some shock therapy or somebody finally caught up with him bitch slapped some manners into him!
:o
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 10:45:53 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: giggsy allyuh eh easy nah, you go ahead wid Mr. B & S, yuh know he lying low and will eventually come back for yuh! ;)
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 11:03:51 AM »
and thats the beautiful truth
different styles just like kung fu and karate. Who is to say which aspect of the art is better.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline bakeandshark

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 06:51:43 PM »
1st I didn't know that there was a user  named bake and shark before i choose a name. i am NOT the original.

2nd My original idea for the topic was not to say you have to play the game one way or another but to find out the general ideas and the approach to the game the members have.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 07:00:17 PM »
1st I didn't know that there was a user  named bake and shark before i choose a name. i am NOT the original.

2nd My original idea for the topic was not to say you have to play the game one way or another but to find out the general ideas and the approach to the game the members have.

Sorry dude very few threads remain pure.  :)
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 09:23:24 AM »
Ah lot of crazy events have occurred in the name of mistaken identity ... I would wheel and come again.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 03:37:32 PM »
BTW, where the original sharks boy, he got eightysixed or what ?

Offline bakeandshark

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 07:13:58 AM »
The old man made a correct but out of context statement.  There needs to be a purpose for possession. What does the team on the field intend to get out of their holding the ball?

The primary purpose of possession is to move the ball and players into good attacking positions to get behind the defense and score.  The value derived here can be measured in goals.  A 3 pass possession resulting in a goal = A 15 pass possession resulting in a goal

The secondary purpose of possession is to keep the ball away from the opponent so they have less opportunities to score. The value derived here is indirect or psychological at best but important.

I hear yuh, and the key is attack = goals.
but i feel like trinidadians have a lot of skill and creativity it's coached OUT of players.
how often yuh go to a game and hear some jeers when somebody do something creative, somebody take on a defender and at the same time get applauded for attempting a bad pass?
it's like the mentality and philosophy in tt is to never attack.

1]; } ?>