April 28, 2024, 03:39:59 PM

Author Topic: The SWonline forum as an outlet for social and personal commentary  (Read 2360 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Culturally, in our society,  there is this layer of commentary which we possess. Where did this come from? the  'Bard' of poetry, prior to our technological world was deem to be the social commentator in a society. When one relied on  the radio, the calypso was the art form that informed, instructed and entertained us. From political satire, to personal commentary we were versed on varied aspects of life: some heard the 'smut,' some the didactic lyrics some the humor. Our cultural life was fashioned also by  'throwing ole talk'  giving 'fatigue' and 'calling out other publicly'  We lived with it and so it was and still remains a way of life. Today given the advent of 'blogs' online chat forums we see evidence of our social interactions seeping through in the form of  fatigue,  teasing, taunting someone with a mixture of half-truths and imaginative fabrications, trying to up one, looking for the public sentiments, the  'cheap laugh'(ridicule),  giving insightful views, and at times being openly reflective  and opinionated with what we  consider to be solutions to a host of  issues.

Just how much of our cultural style of interaction is reflected on this forum? what impact does it have on today's generation? How much does this forum reflect  our cultural proclivities and  who we are as by-products of cultural mores and norms? Are online forums today's medium in as much as what we know the calypso to be?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:20:48 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The SWonline forum as an outlet for social and personal commentry
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 08:37:33 AM »
u relly feel anybody readin all ah dat?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 04:24:51 PM »

why not? :devil:...clause 7 sexy too bad
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 05:49:18 AM »
The thread shrank.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 06:03:08 AM »
Culturally, in our society,  there is this layer of commentary which we possess. Where did this come from? the  'Bard' of poetry, prior to our technological world was deem to be the social commentator in a society. When one lived of  the radio, the calypso was the art form that informed, instructed and entertained us. From political satire, to personal commentary we were versed on varied aspects of life: some heard the 'smut,' some the didactic lyrics some the humor. Our cultural life was fashioned also by  'throwing ole talk'  giving 'fatigue' and 'calling out other publicly'  We lived with it and so it was and still remains a way of life. Today given the advent of 'blogs' online chat forums we see evidence of our social interactions seeping through in the form of  fatigue,  teasing, taunting someone with a mixture of half-truths and imaginative fabrications, trying to up one, looking for the public sentiments, the  'cheap laugh'(ridicule),  giving insightful views, and at times being openly reflective  and opinionated with what we  consider to be solutions to a host of  issues.

Just how much of our cultural style of interaction is reflected on this forum? what impact does it have on today's generation? How much does this forum reflect  our cultural proclivities and  who we are as by-products of cultural mores and norms? Are online forums today's medium in as much as what we know the calypso to be?

All that to ask 1question?
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 07:41:05 AM »
Culturally, in our society,  there is this layer of commentary which we possess. Where did this come from? the  'Bard' of poetry, prior to our technological world was deem to be the social commentator in a society. When one lived of  the radio, the calypso was the art form that informed, instructed and entertained us. From political satire, to personal commentary we were versed on varied aspects of life: some heard the 'smut,' some the didactic lyrics some the humor. Our cultural life was fashioned also by  'throwing ole talk'  giving 'fatigue' and 'calling out other publicly'  We lived with it and so it was and still remains a way of life. Today given the advent of 'blogs' online chat forums we see evidence of our social interactions seeping through in the form of  fatigue,  teasing, taunting someone with a mixture of half-truths and imaginative fabrications, trying to up one, looking for the public sentiments, the  'cheap laugh'(ridicule),  giving insightful views, and at times being openly reflective  and opinionated with what we  consider to be solutions to a host of  issues.

Stop trying to get other people to write your thesis for you :devil:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 11:55:34 AM »

I read d title....he spelt commentary wrong

Offline TriniItalian

• Sr. Warrior
  • Never Wait to Procrastinate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 12:56:08 PM »

I read d title....he spelt commentary wrong

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Oh and stop the gayness too :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
A.W.A.T.T. INFORMANT

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: The SWonline forum as an outlet for social and personal commentary
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 05:14:14 PM »
Why cyar some people  respond in a constructive positive manner? If yuh have nothing 'good to say' as meh parents use to say, don't  respond. Simple. Lawd whey the positive vibes why the negative?

"The thread shrank." / "u relly feel anybody readin all ah dat?"
Yes I decided to separate the issues and it might have been too much for one thread.

"All that to ask 1question?" I was setting the context for the question.

"Oh and stop the gayness too"  I am not sure what the  connotation of your statement  means but then I should consider the source and age of the author of this comment and simply move on.

"I read d title....he spelt commentary wrong" I stand corrected.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 08:36:35 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 09:17:49 AM »
Culturally, in our society,  there is this layer of commentary which we possess. Where did this come from? the  'Bard' of poetry, prior to our technological world was deem to be the social commentator in a society. When one lived of  the radio, the calypso was the art form that informed, instructed and entertained us. From political satire, to personal commentary we were versed on varied aspects of life: some heard the 'smut,' some the didactic lyrics some the humor. Our cultural life was fashioned also by  'throwing ole talk'  giving 'fatigue' and 'calling out other publicly'  We lived with it and so it was and still remains a way of life. Today given the advent of 'blogs' online chat forums we see evidence of our social interactions seeping through in the form of  fatigue,  teasing, taunting someone with a mixture of half-truths and imaginative fabrications, trying to up one, looking for the public sentiments, the  'cheap laugh'(ridicule),  giving insightful views, and at times being openly reflective  and opinionated with what we  consider to be solutions to a host of  issues.

Interesting questions; I think it would depend on the average age of posters on this forum. I do not have access to the complete statistics, so I can't say for sure. However, I do think that many of the posts are quintessentially trinbagonian, especially on threads about serious incidents such as someone being injured or maimed.

This thread comes to mind: http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=45116.0

Any foreigner reading this thread would probably be appalled at our apparent mirth at such a serious incident. However, as one who has grown up in T&T, I understand that there is a certain degree of gallows humour and facetiousness there.

I have had to explain this cultural trait to many of my American friends, especially when I tended to exhibit it at times.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 09:25:59 AM by kaliman2006 »

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 08:50:52 PM »
You wrote this ,...so why are you getting upset .

"Our cultural life was fashioned also by  'throwing ole talk'  giving 'fatigue' and 'calling out other publicly'  We lived with it and so it was and still remains a way of life."

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 06:06:26 AM »
The very same thing he speaks about is exactly what is happening here in this thread. So he should have expected it. It is the Trini way of communication.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 05:55:10 AM »
You wrote this ,...so why are you getting upset .

"Our cultural life was fashioned also by  'throwing ole talk'  giving 'fatigue' and 'calling out other publicly'  We lived with it and so it was and still remains a way of life."

AB. I'm surprised you opened yourself up for the picong by putting this part in. I'm not sure what else you expected.

It may not answer your question, but when you consider how small the other forums are to the main football one, I think this is more a community of common interest than anything else. It has its own unique flavour because of the people who tend to flock there (regardless of the occasional welcome and unwelcome foreign visitor)

Also this is much more democratic than the calypso ever was. Calypso was always an art. Everybody could say what they want, but not all man could sing a calypso, even it its simpler form at the beginnings. In calypso, if you make the mistake and stink up de stage is slow hand clap and level toilet paper in your tail.
The calypso was a conversation between one man and an audience. Granted he often held up a mirror of the same things the audience were discussing in the rumshop, but at the end of the day, is one man exposing his take on it. You only find he good if you agree with what he saying from before, and you know you can't say it as artfully.
The forum is just the rumshop. It have plenty man like you sit down in a corner mumbling to yourself drinking orange juice, men like Touches who on they third carib and have the main table in stiches, men like Sam does be sharing whisky and telling x rated jokes, men like Berris who downing heavy scotch and cussing anybody who doh agree with him, and men who does show up just to cuss out with other men with the loser having to pay off the other tab.

And some of us does just hover around watching what going on until the barman threaten to throw us out for not buying nothing.

Doh overanalyse it too much eh...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>