April 25, 2024, 12:51:37 AM

Author Topic: Gerrard arrested in assault probe  (Read 3991 times)

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
Gerrard arrested in assault probe
« on: December 29, 2008, 06:02:10 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/7802932.stm

England and Liverpool footballer Steven Gerrard has been arrested following an alleged assault.

Police were called at about 0230 GMT following an incident at a pub in Southport, Merseyside. Six men were detained later in a nearby street.

The men, four from Huyton, one from Formby and one from Litherland, remain in police custody.

A 34-year-old man from Southport was taken to hospital with facial injuries, not thought to be life-threatening.

Club captain

The incident is alleged to have taken place at the Lounge Inn, on Bold Street.

Four men aged 33, 31, 29 and 19, all from Huyton, a 28-year-old from Formby and an 18-year-old from Litherland were arrested a short time later on nearby Lord Street.

Midfielder Gerrard, 28, is Liverpool captain and scored twice in his team's 5-1 victory over Newcastle on Sunday.

A police spokesman said: "Merseyside Police is investigating an assault that took place in the early hours of Monday December 29 on Bold Street in Southport.

"At around 2.30am this morning officers attended a disturbance at a licensed premises on Bold Street.

"Six men were arrested on suspicion of section 20 assault on Lord Street."

The spokesman added all currently remained in custody.

Gerrard was born and grew up on Huyton's Bluebell Estate.

He started his footballing life playing for Whiston Juniors, before being spotted by a Liverpool scout at the age of eight.

Last month the Premier League star was given the freedom of his home borough of Knowsley in recognition of his contribution to football.

Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Gerrard arrested in assault probe
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:31:24 AM »
Nothing good happens after midnight!  Stay home!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 07:59:33 AM »
you can take the scouser out of Liverpool but...

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 08:34:30 AM »
he lacks discipline off de field as well.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 10:09:37 AM »

So yuh insinuating that de man lacks discipline on the field?

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 10:21:37 AM »

i see you endorsed my message. :beermug:

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 10:44:28 AM »

Ah know what it is:  the message board is a  bit slow, so yuh looking to stir up some sort of discussion.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 11:00:55 AM »

Ah know what it is:  the message board is a  bit slow, so yuh looking to stir up some sort of discussion.
nah i eh like to talk about shit.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 11:15:12 AM »

nah i eh like to talk about shit.

lol

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 12:03:16 PM »
he will be released very quickly, and maybe get a slap on the wrist. 

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 12:05:29 PM »
We don't know the full details of the incident, so why are we making judgments?  For all you know, Gerrard's friends might have been the ones that gave the guy a beatdown.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 07:40:06 PM »
We don't know the full details of the incident, so why are we making judgments?  For all you know, Gerrard's friends might have been the ones that gave the guy a beatdown.

:beermug: Well said
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 02:11:09 AM »
Well he has been charged with Afray, Causing ABH.

Its unusual for a player to be held for 20 hours or so, given the solicitor would of been there in minutes I would of thought. 

No doubt it will turn out to be some ghastly mistake. ::)

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 05:17:18 AM »
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SPORT/football/12/30/liverpool.charge/index.html

Liverpool captain Gerrard will appear in court next month on the charges.

Gerrard, 28, and two other men were charged with assault occasioning bodily harm and affray, police said.

They are scheduled to appear in court next month.

Three other men, who were also arrested, were released without charge pending further inquiries.

Gerrard was arrested in the early hours of Monday morning and eventually charged after several hours of questioning.

The offenses with which Gerrard have been charged carry a maximum penalty of five years in prison.

His wife Alex Curran was seen near the police station where he was held but drove off without talking to reporters.

Gerrard had been celebrating his side's 5-1 win over Newcastle on Sunday when the alleged altercation occurred.

He had scored two goals in the victory at St James' Park which left Liverpool top of the English Premier League and on course for their first English title in 18 years.

He was released on bail to appear in court on January 23 next year, with John Doran, 29, and Ian Smith, 19, who were charged with the same offenses.

Gerrard, who has spent his entire career with Liverpool, is one of the most celebrated players in the club's history and renowned as a model professional.

In 2005 he lifted the European Cup -- Liverpool's fifth -- after a thrilling penalty shooting victory over AC Milan and turned down the advances of cash-rich Chelsea to stay with his local club.

The midfielder has also made 70 appearances for England, captaining his country on four occasions.

He was made an Member of the British Empire (MBE) last year and received an honorary fellowship from Liverpool's John Moores University.

Liverpool's next match is against Preston in the English FA Cup on Saturday, a game Gerrard was due to sit out because of suspension
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 03:33:26 PM »
They released CCTV footage of the incident...

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 03:45:54 PM »

ooo wee - GSP in MMA doesn't even get this entertaining ... 

Pacquiao vs. Cotto
or
Gerrard vs. Cantona
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 04:36:29 PM »

ooo wee - GSP in MMA doesn't even get this entertaining ... 

Pacquiao vs. Cotto
or
Gerrard vs. Cantona

Ah know fantasy managers paying close attention to this recent development.  :devil:
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 07:29:09 PM »
Gerrard 'threw barrage of punches in row'

Helen Carter
guardian.co.uk
News Wed 22 Jul 2009 16:27 BST

Alleged victim of attack in Southport nightclub tells court Liverpool captain hit him two or three times
A man allegedly attacked by Steven Gerrard told a court todayhow he "faced a barrage of punches" from the Liverpool captain, who swore at him when he refused to hand over control of a CD player.
Marcus McGee, 34, said he disliked the footballer's attitude when requesting a card that controlled the stereo. "I would describe it as bad and rude. He was bad-mannered straight away. I acted in proportion to what his attitude was.
"When you see a famous person like that you do not think you are going to have a fight or trouble with them."
He told Liverpool crown court that Gerrard, 29, said "something to the effect of, 'Here you are, lad, give me that.' "
He refused: "It was my job, so I didn't hand it over." McGee said the manager of the Lounge Inn in Southport had asked him to be in charge of the music as he wanted to get everyone dancing.
He told the court that Gerrard made a move to try to grab the card off him to take it away and recalls it slipping on to the floor. The footballer walked away.
Gerrard, who was in the bar with friends celebrating Liverpool's 5-1 win over Newcastle United, is shown on CCTV walking away before later returning to confront McGee.
Seven minutes later McGee was sat on a bar stool at the bar when Gerrard approached and said: "What the f**k is your problem?" McGee stood up as he felt threatened and vulnerable sitting down and looking up at the footballer and they had a brief conversation.
He told the court: "I remember a barrage of punches coming in at my face but at that point I don't know who has done what. Having watched the CCTV it was quite obvious Steven Gerrard hit me a couple of times, maybe three times but I couldn't honestly say on the night."
Gerrard, a married father of two, denies affray. Six co-defendants, including two Accrington Stanley players, have admitted charges of affray or threatening behaviour before their trial was due to begin.
Under cross-examination by John Kelsey-Fryer, Gerrard's barrister, McGee strongly rebutted a suggestion that he swore at the footballer.
McGee said he was innocent, saying: "I didn't throw any punches, I wasn't acting aggressively, I didn't hit anyone at all."
His girlfriend, Gina Lond, told the court: "I saw an elbow going into Marcus's face. At that time I thought it was Steven's. Marcus was just getting punched and kicked by several people. He had blood on his face and he had a cut on his forehead."
Bar worker Nathaniel Lockie, who saw the start of the fight, told the court that he saw Gerrard pull McGee's jumper over his head with his left hand, pulling him forward "so that he was off balance" before punching him.
Lockie ran round to the other side of the bar to try to stop the fight. Earlier in the evening, he said, Gerrard had approached the bar staff for help changing the music "but none was given". He saw Gerrard walking back to the restaurant area "in a huff" after his music request was refused.
Later, he saw Gerrard and McGee speaking to each other across the bar. "Marcus looked puzzled at first," Lockie said. "There was an argument or an exchange of words."
He said John Doran, whom he assumed was Gerrard's minder, struck McGee with an elbow and the fight began from there. McGee lost a front tooth crown in the attack, received a cut to the forehead and had hospital treatment following the incident in the early hours of 29 December last year.
Gerrard is expected to give evidence tomorrow.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 08:44:59 AM »
Most British footballers are un-educated yobbos and had they not got into the game and made good, they would have been around "ducking and diving doing this an that"; hope yuh get my meaning.I really hope that Gerrard is jailed for 3 to 6 months solid,a fine means nothing to him.People like Gerrard and Boyer who almost killed a young man in Leeds,with the help of friends can get away with it.When I lived in Manchester I always heard of violent behaviour by these yobbish cult figures.Most leave school without any qualifications and were disruptive characters from very earlyin life.As the saying goes "you can take a man out of the gutter but you cant take the gutter out of him".

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 06:51:07 AM »
He get off...and all he partners who admit to affray get charge. See why u must ever admit you wrong and leave that for the court to decide? He get catch on camera beating de man to a pulp with his padnas holding him back, and he still get off.

Spending big money on a lawyer is really work yes, the law can be twisted accordingly once you skilled enough.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 07:34:55 AM »
He get off...and all he partners who admit to affray get charge. See why u must ever admit you wrong and leave that for the court to decide? He get catch on camera beating de man to a pulp with his padnas holding him back, and he still get off.

Spending big money on a lawyer is really work yes, the law can be twisted accordingly once you skilled enough.

I wondeer if the CCTV recordings were entered as evidence in the court? Interesting to know that if it was he was still released. ???
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 08:10:16 AM »

I wondeer if the CCTV recordings were entered as evidence in the court? Interesting to know that if it was he was still released. ???

to paraphrase the US demi-God ... I don't know all the facts of the case, but I would say that Steven Gerrard acted stupidly ... and he is damn lucky because the cctv footage was pretty damning evidence

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 08:41:24 AM »

to paraphrase the US demi-God . ???..  ::)I don't know all the facts of the case, but I would say that Steven Gerrard acted stupidly[/i] ... and he is damn lucky because the cctv footage was pretty damning evidence
???
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 08:54:06 AM »

to paraphrase the US demi-God . ???..  ::)I don't know all the facts of the case, but I would say that Steven Gerrard acted stupidly[/i] ... and he is damn lucky because the cctv footage was pretty damning evidence
???

current affairs wrt US President's ill-construed comments on Boston Police and Harvard professor Dr. Gates situation.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 09:38:01 AM »

Gerrard get off BECAUSE his pardners take the fall.

His friends clearly love him and decide to take a bid so he wouldn't have to.

Gerrard's excuse was that he "didn't see the fight start, but defended himself upon seeing the victim's reaction". Now in "defending himself" from this potential attack he land 3 blows on the dude without reply, all while his pardners was sharing lash too. Add the fact that they actually pick up themselves to go and find the man and that Gerrard is the one who had teh original altercation and it hard to believe that Gerrard has no culpability.

But the way the law set up if the pardners say they do it and Gerrard didn't know anything it hard for him to lose the case.

I hope the judge show them no mercy though. Give them whatever is teh maximum. They want to take the fall for somebody make sure they pay a heavy price.

edited to add.

I just watch the video on another site and it is clear that Gerrard see the man get hit by his pardner and then jump in right away.

Also based on the first second of the video Omar link to Gerrad have zero rhythm. Requesting music is the last thing he should be doing.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:44:23 AM by JDB »
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 09:51:56 AM »
Gerrard got off because he "thought" the guy was going to hit him first.

I wonder if someone would get off if he said he "thought" the girl was going to ask for unprotected sex in a back alley

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 10:26:44 AM »
lol... well yes.

self defence they say and he cuff up the man without reply because he thought. they shoulda ask him if he know what thought make ah man do and send he ass to jail..

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 10:48:15 AM »
I watch it and it look to me like Gerrard was arguing with the man,one of the padnas lash d man, Gerrard do most of the beating and then the rest of them kinda break it up. But, they admit the charge before the trial...that is why they get hold, while Gerrard, who share the most licks, get off. I doh think it was a case of "we did it, not him".
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

1]; } ?>