April 25, 2024, 12:57:53 AM

Author Topic: Josh Johnson on trial at Macclesfield  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Josh Johnson on trial at Macclesfield
« on: July 15, 2009, 12:17:31 PM »
Silkmen claim first win at Buxton
By Bob Trafford (Wraggs to Riches)

After a long day of meetings in London, I hope that I can be forgiven for not jumping up and down with excitement at the prospect of travelling to Silverlands last night. This sense of apathy was exemplified when I heard that Macc were playing a mixture of youth team players and trialists but the trip to Buxton has become a regular feature over the last few years and so I felt compelled to go despite my aches and pains which told me otherwise.

When us Maxonians talk about our Derbyshire neighbours, the one thing which sooner or later is guaranteed to come up in to conversation is sheep. The Macc Lads classic "No Sheep Til Buxton" is not only a wonderfully crafted tune, it is also a remarkably perceptive insight in to the relationship between our two beloved towns. As we made our way through the twists and turns of the A537 one could not help notice the increasing number of our furry friends wandering aimlessly through the Derbyshire countryside. However it was not until we almost hit a deviant sheep wandering down the middle of the road that we realised that they may pose more of a threat than we had first thought. Credit must go to Mike Beresford for slamming on the breaks as I am unsure what we would have done if we had hit that sheep - as there was no farm house in sight for miles, would we have been ok to drive on? This is perhaps one for the Ipstone and his infinite knowledge.

To compound our eventful journey to Silverlands, we also managed to become lost in the town centre and had to ask a local farmer for directions. After removing the piece of straw from his mouth he did sort us out and for that we will be eternally grateful.

After handing over my five pound note to the turnstile operator, my field of vision became dominated by Big Jim enjoying a pie and peas supper. The food served up at the ground was, to be honest, first class and Macc would do well to take a few notes from Buxton in terms of match day snacks.

Buxton started the brighter and with barely sixty seconds on the clock, Mark Reed found himself in space but could only direct his header wide of David Blackmore's far post.

Macc then began to get in to their stride and Josh Johnson looked particularly dangerous with his darting runs and seemingly electric pace. It was from his trickery that Michael Thomas found space twenty five yards from goal but he was unable to direct his effort the right side of Scott Hartley's near post.

Three minutes later Kyle Collins broke away for the home team and seemed to have been impeded by Macc keeper Blackmore as he attempted to take the ball around him. Should the player have dropped to the floor, a penalty would surely have been give, but to his credit he stayed on his feet yet his pull back was easily cleared by the Silkmen rearguard.

On 14 minutes the hosts threatened again - this time Collins hit a powerful right foot drive from twenty yards out which Sean Brisley partially managed to block but Blackmore was still required to make a smart save to his right hand side.

Dangerman Collins had a further effort easily saved by the Macc keeper and on 22 minutes Steve Ridley was unlucky to see his free kick deflected just over Blackmore's goal.

Despite The Bucks having the best of the chances during the early exchanges, Macc were far from being second best. Kevin Hill was unlucky to see his thirty yard effort travel just wide on 24 minutes and Josh Johnson maybe should have done better a minute later when he shot wide from fifteen yards.

Just after the half hour mark the hosts could easily have taken the lead as Neil Stevens found himself in acres of space with David Blackmore's goal bearing down on him. Yet the Macc keeper made a good stop to deny the midfielder and somehow the ball was scrambled away to safety.

Five minutes Rikki Bains launched an intelligent ball down the right hand flank which saw Adam Roberts in space yet his pull back was placed well over the bar by Kevin Hill despite being well placed.

As the first half reached it's conclusion the football on show became more open with end to end opportunities to break the deadlock. Firstly Greg Moseley was unlucky to see his nonchalant effort sail just over David Blackmore's upright for the hosts and almost straight after Kevin Hill was inches away from converting Shaun Beverney's dangerous right wing cross.

All in all the first half was relatively even with The Silkmen edging the possession whilst Buxton probably created the better chances.

Half Time Buxton 0 v 0 Macclesfield Town

The second half started in direct contrast to how the first had ended with the ball not really progressing from a midfield stalemate. Both sides looked to create opportunities yet were finding it had to find that killer ball or moment of magic.

The half sprung in to life on 65 minutes however when Neil Stevens beat two Macc players before being hacked down by Sean Brisley just outside the area. Although the resulting free kick was deflected over the bar, what the incident did do was wake up the crowd. From this moment on, Silverlands was filled with the level of chanting only really experienced during league encounters. The one distinguishing voice was that of Andy Worth - the prodigal son had returned home and his legion of disciples were only too happy to welcome him back to the fold.

On 76 minutes Kyle Collins found himself in a one on one situation with David Blackmore yet Matthew Lowe launched a brilliant last gasp tackle to deny the striker a clear shot on goal.

Six minutes later, the deadlock was broken. Josh Johnson's free kick from the left hand side of the box was met by the head of Vinny Mukendi and although his effort was saved by Scott Hartley, the resulting scramble cleared the way for Tom France to tap home from two yards out.

Macc finished the game in the ascendancy and could have added to their lead through Mukendi and Johnson, yet Buxton's threat had been diluted and the first win of pre season was secure.

Final Score Buxton 0 v 1 Macclesfield Town

Keith's Comments

Speaking to the OS, Big Keith commented -

"It's always good to get a result and it's nice to see one or two getting 90 minutes under their belt. It's also always useful to see how the younger lads do against bigger stronger players than they might be used to facing. Playing games like this is exactly what they need, because some of them may well be involved in the senior side this season.

"I was impressed by Michael Thomas again and Adam Roberts. Tom France played well, but they all did really. It was a good finish from Tom after a good header from Vinny"

Summary

A good run out for the youngsters and Keith will have a better idea with regard to the ability of some of the trialists on show. For me, a big plus was the performance of Rikki Bains who put in his second commanding stint this week. Josh Johnson also looked a dangerous winger with plenty of place and should raise Keith's eyebrows also.

On Monday night, a similar Accrington side really did get slaughtered at Leek Town - after witnessing this at first hand our lads really did not play that badly at all.

Macclesfield Town: Blackmore, Askey, Lowe, Roberts, Brisley (Jukes), Baines, Johnson, Thomas (Lonsdale), Beverney (Backer-Rowley), Hill (Mukendi), Bellett (France)
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Josh Johnson on trial at Macclesfield
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 12:53:30 PM »
Hope he makes it

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 01:52:15 PM »
Keith Alexander seems to be a fan of Caribbean players (seeing as he was a Saint Lucia international himself I guess its not surprising).  He signed Neil Harvey (Barbados) last year from a tier 8 team and he made 5 appearances and Patrece Liburd (Saint Kitts and Nevis) from a tier 6 team and he made only 1 (though he's only 21 or so).  Lets hope Johnson can get a contract and do better.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 01:55:56 PM by theworm2345 »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 02:56:23 PM »
Josh is now on trial at Welsh Premier League club Cefn Druids.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 03:35:14 AM »

oh geez...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 03:53:46 AM »

oh geez...

What an dispearing response. Care to share your concerns with us ???
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 04:45:25 AM »

oh geez...

I really didn't expect him to go back to the WPL after the way it ended with Rhyl. I know that these fellas have family to feed and sometimes you have to accept below (or at?) your level when the opportunity presents itself, but I thought Macclesfield was a step in the right direction...they're in league 2 I think?
Is like seeing Spann in conference...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 06:00:31 AM »

oh geez...

I really didn't expect him to go back to the WPL after the way it ended with Rhyl. I know that these fellas have family to feed and sometimes you have to accept below (or at?) your level when the opportunity presents itself, but I thought Macclesfield was a step in the right direction...they're in league 2 I think?
Is like seeing Spann in conference...

maybe that is his level the welsh league
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 06:04:14 AM »
Them men should come home to the PFL. PFL going places, especially with the Concacaf Champions Cup now on offer and the national coach here to see you first hand.

Foreign is not always better.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

1]; } ?>