March 28, 2024, 05:42:42 AM

Author Topic: 2009 US Open.  (Read 16061 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
2009 US Open.
« on: July 29, 2009, 09:22:13 AM »
Sharapova has sights set on U.S. Open runby Richard Pagliaro, Tennis Week, FOXSports.com

Maria Sharapova returns to tournament tennis at next week's Bank Of The West Classic in Stanford aiming for ascension.

Sidelined for the first four months of the season as she continued her rehab from a moderate rotator cuff tendon tear she sustained in April 2008, the 61st-ranked Sharapova will try to accumulate enough ranking points to secure a seeded spot for the U.S. Open, which begins on August 31st.

For much of the past year, Sharapova's public appearances have been confined to her Canon commercials and magazine spreads. The player behind the brand says she's eager to resume her roll as a full-time tennis player and sees the U.S. Open Series as the platform to do just that.

"(I'm looking forward to) playing matches. Going out there, playing, performing. That's what I didn't do," Sharapova told the media in a press conference prior to her World TeamTennis appearance for the Newport Beach Breakers on Wednesday night.

Timing has always been a key component of Sharapova's style, which is a form of tennis larceny. At her best, Sharapova stands on top, or a few feet behind, the baseline firing fast, flat strokes that rob opponents of response time and steal away their offensive opportunities. Regaining her timing and responding to the ebbs and flows of match play will take time that can only come from the repeated repetition tournaments provide.

"I mean, listen, it's not that none of these tournaments are going to be tough," Sharapova said. "I feel like a lot of the upcoming matches are going to be tough. I'm still getting the rustiness kind of away from me."

Putting herself in a position to promote a rankings rise is a positive step for Sharapova, whose shoulder injury made her most problematic climb the one off the trainer's table. Sharapova insists her shoulder, which forced her out of last year's U.S. Open and prevented her from defending her Australian Open title in January, is completely healthy.

"I am 100 percent," Sharapova says.

In an effort to strengthen the shoulder — and prevent a recurrence of the injury — Sharapova has adopted a shortened service motion. She's replaced the traditional loop backswing on her serve with the abbreviated backswing, taking the racquet face straight up before dropping it down to launch into her serve in a shortened service motion used by Andy Roddick and Gael Monfils.

Sharapova says she spent time in Phoenix last month strengthening her shoulder and will continue the exercises throughout her career.

"(My shoulder) feels really good. After Wimbledon I went back to Phoenix and I kept working on it," Sharapova said. "It's not something that you just stop when it feels good. You have to keep working on it. You have to keep getting it stronger. For the rest of my career I'll be doing shoulder exercises."

Ultimately, the hope is the shortened service motion — combined with strengthening exercises — helps lengthen her career. Sharapova struggled with her serve at times in recent years and concedes mastering the motion is still a work in progress.

"After surgery I definitely had to shorten up my motion to make it easier on my arm. That's something that I'm still working on and still tuning up," Sharapova said.

A pectoral strain she sustained in 2005 curtailed Sharapova's schedule and she's missed tournament time in each of the past three years due to the shoulder strain. As she tunes up for her sixth career U.S. Open, it's sometimes easy to overlook the fact Sharapova is still only 22 years old.

Sharapova believes injuries are an occupational hazard for elite professional athletes, particularly for players who turn pro at an early age.

"I started when I was very young, I started playing professionally when I was 14 or 15 years old," Sharapova said. "At 22, you consider you've been playing on the Pro Tour that many years, (making a comeback) is definitely not a surprise."

Several talented young players are on the rise, with three members of the top 10 — No. 1 Dinara Safina, No. 8 Victoria Azarenka and the ninth-ranked Caroline Wozniacki — being younger than Sharapova.

"It is a little surprising to see so many girls kind of coming out of the woodwork and they're so many years younger than you," Sharapova said. "You're like, Where did the time go?"

The younger players are making their mark, but experience is still a major asset in majors. The three women who have combined to claim the last five Grand Slam titles — Venus Williams (2008 Wimbledon), Serena Williams (2008 U.S., 2009 Aussie and Wimbledon) and Svetlana Kuznetsova (2009 French) — have all been on the Tour for at least nine years.

Sharapova's tenacity was on display in Paris in just her second tournament of the season. Clay has never been her ideal comfort zone, but the crushed red brick surface brought out the gritty side of tennis' glamour girl during the French Open.

Then ranked 102nd, Sharapova saved two break points at 2-4 in the final set then roared back to edge 11th-seeded Nadia Petrova, 6-1, 1-6, 8-6, to reach the Roland Garros third round for the sixth straight year. Sharapova went on to reach the quarters where the quick-footed Dominika Cibulkova crushed her 6-0, 6-2.

After a trip to the Birmingham semifinals on grass, Sharapova was bounced out of Wimbledon in the second round by Gisela Dulko, another quick counter-puncher who mixed up the pace on her shots and stretched Sharapova into awkward positions on the court.

"I had my chances," Sharapova said of her Wimbledon experience. "I played against a tough opponent on a tough day, and it just didn't go my way. I certainly had my opportunities."

There are top 10 players who are quicker, more versatile and possess more consistent serves, but Sharapova's experience, her affinity for the game's greatest stages and her competitiveness are qualities that make her a threat at every major, particularly the fast track of the U.S. Open where her flat strokes play well. The next five weeks will serve as preparation for her return to Flushing Meadows, where she won three years ago.

"I never lost faith because I knew the things I had already accomplished were way beyond what I ever dreamed of in my life," Sharapova said. "... Obviously just getting to be able to play tennis again is an achievement in itself. Now it's about preparing myself, forgetting about what I went through, just preparing my game, getting back into the form where I was, and even better."

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 US Open.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 09:24:49 AM »
with just over a month hope meh gyul could pull it off,but ah will put money on de winners of wimbledon both men and women to take it.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 01:20:13 PM »
Roddick loses to Del Potro in Legg Mason finalAssociated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - Top-seeded Andy Roddick lost to Juan Martin del Potro in the Legg Mason Tennis Classic final on Sunday, falling 3-6, 7-5, 7-6 (6) to the defending champion.

The winning shot came on a crosscourt forehand. The replay system on Roddick's challenge confirmed the ball hit the outer portion of the sideline, and del Potro raised both arms above his head in celebration.

It was the first loss for Roddick in four Washington finals. Roddick won the tournament in 2001, 2005 and 2007.

This was Roddick's first tournament since losing an epic Wimbledon final to Roger Federer on July 5. Roddick had taken a monthlong break to recover from a right hip flexor he injured in that match.

Del Potro double-faulted on all three break points he faced — one in each set — but he had no problems serving at the end. The second-seeded Argentine had five of his 19 aces in the tiebreaker, including one on a second serve.

Del Potro lost serve for the third time in the match in the third game of the final set. With the score 30-all, he attempted to smash a high lob and missed, hitting it long. On the ensuing break point, he double-faulted and gave Roddick a 2-1 lead.
Roddick gave the advantage back with his own double-fault on break point to even the set 3-all. Roddick's service loss was part of a run of 11 consecutive points won by del Potro.

That was the last break either player faced, with both holding serve until the tiebreaker.

Del Potro lost his only break point in the first set, when Roddick challenged a second serve. The replay showed it was wide, giving Roddick a 4-2 lead.

Roddick needed three tries at set point, finally closing it out with the fifth of his 21 aces.

Roddick lost serve for the first time in the match to go down 5-3 in the second set. Del Potro didn't take advantage, again losing his serve on a double-fault the next game.

Errors again hurt Roddick when he was serving down 6-5 in the second set. He hit a backhand long to give del Potro the break-point chance, and on the next point he hit into the net to even the match.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:17:09 PM »
Federer wins Cincy Masters title over DjokovicAssociated Press

MASON, Ohio (AP) - Changing diapers doesn't seem to bother Papa Federer's game.

With a dominant first set on Sunday, Roger Federer showed that he's in top-of-the-world form after his time off to become a father. A 6-1, 7-5 victory over Novak Djokovic brought him the Cincinnati Masters title, his first championship since his twin girls were born last month.

Roger Federer was dominant in his run to the Cincy title. (Al Behrman / Associated Press)

"That's the special part, especially winning for the first time as a dad," Federer said. "It gets me going emotionally a little bit, because I know it's been a wonderful summer."

His stellar season can get even better beginning next week at the U.S. Open. The Swiss star has won the last five titles there, and his performance on Sunday suggested he's fully capable of another. Djokovic hadn't lost a set all week, but was never in the title match.

"The closest I was going to get to the first-place trophy is now," the world's fourth-ranked player said, standing 5 feet away from the crystal bowl that goes to the winner of the $3 million Western & Southern Financial Group Masters.

Federer's glass-enclosed trophy case in Switzerland has gotten a lot of precious additions lately. The 28-year-old star won his first French Open championship, then outlasted Andy Roddick in an epic five-set Wimbledon match that brought him a record 15th Grand Slam title.

He shuttled between hospital and practice court for three weeks after his wife, Mirka, gave birth to twins in July. His goal in Cincinnati was to work off the rust and get ready for the Open.

What rust?

"I felt like my game was already pretty well in place in practice, so knew coming over here it was not just to show up," he said. "That it paid off so quickly, I'm a little bit surprised, you know?"

He took control right away, breaking Djokovic's serve in a second game that lasted 13 minutes and 22 points overall. The 22-year-old Serb kept up better in the second set, but knew he was headed for his fourth runner-up finish in a Masters tournament this year.

Djokovic is looking forward to the U.S. Open, where he had one of his worst moments last year. He got into a verbal squabble with crowd-favorite Andy Roddick, who made a flippant remark about the Serb's numerous injuries during the tournament.

When Djokovic took exception to the remarks after a match at Arthur Ashe Stadium, the crowd booed. Djokovic later apologized.

"It was unfortunate for me that it happened in one of the four biggest events in the world, and it happened in the city and tournament where I've always felt great, felt at home," he said Sunday. "But, you know, it's the past. I forgot about it. I really look forward to playing there, and hopefully the fans will accept me in a good way."

Federer knows what kind of reception he'll get, from street corners to center court. They love him in NY.

Last year, he was struggling when he showed up in Cincinnati and took an early loss, which opened the way for Rafael Nadal to end his four-year run as the world's No. 1-ranked player. A disappointing showing at the Olympics in China made Federer feel worse. Some commentators suggested he'd lost his ability to dominate the big moments.

He landed in New York and everything changed.

"I was lucky enough that when I got to New York, the fans were really there trying to push me back to No. 1 right away," he said. "They were great, you know. All the cab drivers and everybody was stopping to wish me luck. It was something that I've never really experienced before in New York. I think that really helped turn it around for me."

Feeding off the energy, he beat Djokovic in the semifinals and Andy Murray for the title. When Nadal had to take two months off after the French Open to let his sore knees heal, Federer took advantage of the opening and moved back to No. 1.

Federer will be trying to win a sixth straight U.S. Open title, something no one has accomplished since Bill Tilden did it from 1920-25.

"The fans for me really turned it around, and that's why this year I'm so excited going back there," Federer said. "I've had even better results, so I hope I can again show them what I can do on a tennis court."

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:17:47 PM »
good tune up towards no. 15

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 08:34:27 PM »
His only competition for the Open would be Djokovic or Murray. Also a fit Roddick could spring a surprise. Nadal would not be a contender probably untill the Aussie Open or after. Murray may spring some serious venom this Open.

I hopefully will be there for a few days the first week and one or two the second. Will be checking out some nice ting on the court. It really is the only time I pay attention to Women's Tennis. Tv cyar compete with the naked eye. ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:38:46 PM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 06:19:14 AM »
For anyone interested. The Open Qualies going on from today and is free. Anyone can go without having to fork out any cash untill Friday. Going to the Qualies help anyone understand how difficult the sport is and gain a true appreciation for what takes place out there on the Pro Tour.
I have went on a couple occasions and was totally blown away, every time, by the commitment necessary to participate on the Tour. One year I see a fella (I can't remember he name) run through the field, went into the main draw only to be anihilated in the first round.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 07:20:03 AM »
could definitly take een some qualifiers.flushin meadows is only 5 mins from me.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 08:21:17 AM »
could definitly take een some qualifiers.flushin meadows is only 5 mins from me.

Leh we organize ah seen to see Serena nah?  Wha yuh sey?  You and me culd go and gape or we culd make it a family seen eider way, actually meh wife doh like tennis  ;D
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:08:06 AM »

Leh we organize ah seen to see Serena nah?  Wha yuh sey?  You and me culd go and gape or we culd make it a family seen eider way, actually meh wife doh like tennis  ;D
i want to get ah gape ah sharapova.we go leave de wives home,we could hit wiggles on queens blvd. after. ;D

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 09:42:21 AM »

i want to get ah gape ah sharapova.we go leave de wives home,we could hit wiggles on queens blvd. after. ;D

Dais ah seen, ah guh link yuh to conduct it  :beermug:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
Federer, Safina top U.S. Open seeds; Murray No. 2by FOXSports.com

NEW YORK (AP) - For the first time in nearly four years, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal won't be the top two seeds at a Grand Slam.

Five-time defending champion Federer received the No. 1 seed for the U.S. Open, but Andy Murray — who recently attained the world's No. 2 ranking — is the next in line. Nadal, coming off a long layoff, is the No. 3 seed after slipping to that same spot in the rankings.

Dinara Safina is seeded No. 1 on the women's side. The U.S. Tennis Association announced the tournament seedings Tuesday.

The USTA followed the ATP and WTA rankings, meaning Safina leads the women's field ahead of second-ranked Serena Williams. Safina is 0-3 in Grand Slam tournament finals, while Williams is the defending champion at Flushing Meadows and has won 11 major championships.

Two-time U.S. Open winner Venus Williams is seeded No. 3, followed by Elena Dementieva and Jelena Jankovic.

2006 champion Maria Sharapova is seeded 29th.

Novak Djokovic and 2003 champion Andy Roddick round out the top five for the men.

The 2006 Australian Open was the last time Federer and Nadal were not seeded No. 1 and No. 2 in some order. Nadal missed that tournament because of an injury. The Spaniard also did not play in this year's Wimbledon but was still seeded No. 1 before withdrawing due to the injured knee that kept him off the court for over two months.

Murray reached the U.S. Open final last year, losing to Federer in straight sets. Federer will be seeking his 16th Grand Slam title while Murray is still chasing his first. Nadal needs only a title in Flushing Meadows to complete a Career Slam.

The draw is Thursday. Play begins Monday.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 08:52:36 PM »
Aye fellas the Qualies wouldn't have Sharapova or Serena in there. Mostly unknowns you may have never heard of. Sometimes you do get a known face or so though.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 08:55:51 PM »
Aye fellas the Qualies wouldn't have Sharapova or Serena in there. Mostly unknowns you may have never heard of. Sometimes you do get a known face or so though.
we cyar find them on ah court stretchin or sumting.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 06:32:09 AM »
You may. They have practice courts where the big boys and them practice on the South side of the grounds. It has been known they practice there during the day at the Qualies as many others. You will have to keep a watch at the practice courts all day to see them. ;D
I have a pardnah(Trini) who go be there hanging out with them  I sure. He use to practice and train them in the early years. After Serena win the final last year she big up he and ah next friend of mine for being there to inspire her win.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:36:32 AM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 06:52:51 AM »
The talk this year for the women is that it may be another Serena win. We got to know by now that these ladies Serena and Venus are major tournament players. They don't win the lower tier tournaments but they have been showing up lately at the majors in fairly good form. I got to give the sisters their props for committing to the game again, it seems for the moment.
 I have been very dissappointed in their committment over the years gone by but it seems they are making a last shot for the game again. I have seen them move from awesome players to almost pathetic. These inconsistent patterns did become the norm for them over the years and no one ever really knew which player would show up. This is probably the reason they've had so many injury problems.
Someone like Serena can't afford to not practice and just run into a tournament without sufficient preparation because her weight is the biggest of her problems. She's a big girl so she definitely have to keep training or spend a long time strengthening her body to withstand the rigors of the tour.
For the time being though the Tennis World waits with abated breath for the emergence of Federer to see which player would become the 'David' of The US Open.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:55:37 AM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 03:23:20 PM »
Last 2 years ah went to de open and was lucky enough to see Serena, Capo, we guh organize de seen, we guh be wiggling even before we geh to wiggles  :rotfl:

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 06:44:58 PM »
NEW YORK (AP) - Roger Federer and Serena Williams began their U.S. Open title defenses Monday with easy wins in matches that will probably stick only in the memories of the players they beat.

Federer defeated NCAA champion Devin Britton 6-1, 6-3, 7-5, and Williams rolled over wild card Alexa Glatch 6-4, 6-1 to fashion a predictable start to the last major championship of 2009.

"My goal was to not get crushed," Britton conceded, "and make it interesting for a little while."

He did, even breaking Federer's serve in the second and third sets, though he was unable to follow either by winning his own serve in the next game. With his coach from Ole Miss in the stands at Arthur Ashe Stadium, Britton lost three straight games at love after going up 3-1 in the second.

"I was thinking, 'I'm up a break. This is awesome,"' Britton said. "Then it only lasted about 30 seconds."

Glatch was in the same boat, pushing the second-seeded Williams in the first set before losing quickly in the second. One of America's top juniors earlier in the decade, Glatch received a wild card for the U.S. Open, only to find she was playing one of the best Grand Slam players in history.

Williams, who has won the Australian Open and Wimbledon this year, is going for her second straight and fourth U.S. Open title.

"You just try not to think about the occasion," Glatch said. "You try to pretend it's any other court and you're playing against any other opponent. But it's very hard to do, especially when it's your first time out there in the biggest stadium there is."

Other winners in the first round included eighth-seeded Victoria Azarenka, 12th-seeded Agnieszka Radwanska, 17th-seeded Amelie Mauresmo and 26th-seeded Francesca Schiavone. Paul-Henri Mathieu, No. 26 on the men's side, was the first seeded player to lose, beaten by Mikhail Youzhny 2-6, 7-5, 6-0, 6-2.

American John Isner won a 16-14 second-set tiebreaker, the highlight of a 6-1, 7-6 (14), 7-6 (5) upset over 28th-seeded Victor Hanescu. Isner has missed a good part of the year with mononucleosis.

"It might have been a blessing in disguise," Isner said. "I've felt fresh ever since I started playing in the States."

Opening the day in Ashe Stadium was 2005 champion Kim Clijsters, who returned to competitive tennis this summer after taking two years off to start a family. She had a baby girl in May 2008.

Clijsters defeated Viktoriya Kutuzova 6-1, 6-1 and didn't show much rust.

"Now it's a matter of trying to keep this going," the Belgian said.

She won the first seven and last 11 points of the match and grinded through her few hiccups, including three double-faults in the third game of the opening set, which extended to seven deuces before she pulled it out.

The win guaranteed she'll be ranked at least 148th after the Open, when she'll have played the three required tournaments she needs to return to the list.

"I still feel like I can improve," she said. "But I'm definitely comfortable where I am right now."

As is Federer, who overcame a "slump" last year when he lost to Rafael Nadal in the French and Wimbledon finals, and has returned back to the top of his game. He won both those titles this year, holds the record with 15 Grand Slam championships and isn't showing signs of tiring.

He is looking for his sixth straight U.S. Open title. Win or lose, the paycheck guaranteed by the opening-round victory made him the first player in tennis history to reach $50 million in prize money.

"I know tennis is not everything, so it's not a problem," said Federer, the father of 5-week-old twin girls. "But if I enjoy playing tennis, why should I stop just because I've beaten the all-time Grand Slam record? That's not what tennis is all about."

Easy for him to say.

While he moves on, Britton plans to hang around and see if he can pull one of the wild-card invites for the mixed doubles. He's signed up with the women's NCAA champion, Mallory Cecil, and is hoping the pairing of two college champions will interest the tournament organizers.

Either way, he's had about as good a U.S. Open experience as a young player can get.

"It was so exciting to be out there," Britton said. "Hopefully I get the chance to be out there again."

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 06:28:38 AM »
I was at the Open yesterday. IT has been a couple years since being there. Was in the Ashe Stadium whole day. See Clijster, Federer and Serena one after the other and it was ah nice scene. Later I  move to the Louis Armstrong Stadium and check out James Blake. After Blake match Hantuchova came on I watch that untill about half way in the second set and then left for the night around 8:15pm.

Britton play a few good games in the second set but that was all he had in the tank vs Federer. The crowd tried they best to get him going and maybe take a set but experience won in the end.

I must say mih eyes eh fully fail me yet, as all dem line challenge dem I was spot on with the calls. Except for one challenge in the Daniela Hantuchova match. Dem lines men and them in the Open some ah dem eh good at all. 

I will be there on Wednesday again and then Friday
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 10:06:25 AM »
blake had it tough with he opponent.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »
Yeah he get a little rough up but nothing drastic. The crowd was next door watching Hewitt but when they hearing all the excitement in the Armstrong if you see rush een to see Blake. Ah white ting, when Blake hit a big shot hear she,' He is so excitting to look at'. Me and mih padna only laughing. If you hear dem woman bawl in dey for Blake. I eh lie doh, the fella he play give Blake a little run and we geh ah little ah we money's worth.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 10:32:26 AM »
Yeah he get a little rough up but nothing drastic. The crowd was next door watching Hewitt but when they hearing all the excitement in the Armstrong if you see rush een to see Blake. Ah white ting, when Blake hit a big shot hear she,' He is so excitting to look at'. Me and mih padna only laughing. If you hear dem woman bawl in dey for Blake. I eh lie doh, the fella he play give Blake a little run and we geh ah little ah we money's worth.
:rotfl:she want him to ruffle she feathers.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 10:39:20 AM »
:rotfl:she want him to ruffle she feathers.

lol . He brother in de corner under the low. He brother look like he does geh real ting.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 11:05:25 AM »
Kuznetsova, Tsonga cruise to first-round winsby FOXSports.com

NEW YORK - Two-time Grand Slam champion Svetlana Kuznetsova advanced to the second round of the U.S. Open, beating Julia Goerges of Germany 6-3, 6-2 Tuesday.

Kuznetsova, the 2004 champion at Flushing Meadows and this year's French Open champion, won nine of 11 games at 3-3 in the first set.

The Russian played the opening match Tuesday at Arthur Ashe Stadium.

No. 9 Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark also won without difficulty, dispatching Kazakhstan's Galina Voskoboeva 6-4, 6-0. No. 24 Sorana Cirstea of Romania — a surprise quarterfinalist at this year's French Open — routed Japan's Ayumi Morita 6-1, 6-3.

Belgium's Yanina Wickmayer upset No. 16 Virginie Razzano of France 6-4, 6-3.

No. 1 Dinara Safina was slated to play next on Arthur Ashe. No. 5 Jelena Jankovic and No. 11 Ana Ivanovic were also scheduled on day two, with No. 29 Maria Sharapova highlighting the night session.

On the men's side, No. 7 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga made quick work of American teenager Chase Buchanan, winning 6-0, 6-2, 6-1.

Tsonga was the runner-up at the 2008 Australian Open. The U.S. Open is the only Grand Slam tournament at which he's never reached at least the fourth round.

Tsonga played cleanly Tuesday, making only 12 unforced errors, 24 fewer than Buchanan, who was the youngest man in the field. Buchanan was awarded a wild card by the U.S. Tennis Association as the 2009 USTA boys' 18s champion.

No. 4 Novak Djokovic — who defeated Tsonga in that Melbourne final — was due up later at Arthur Ashe Stadium. No. 2 Andy Murray, seeking his first ever Grand Slam title, caps the night session.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 02:02:48 PM »
Venus rolls; Safin, Mauresmo ousted at U.S. Openby FOXSports.com

NEW YORK - Venus Williams moved on and Marat Safin said goodbye at the U.S. Open on Wednesday.

Her left knee heavily wrapped, the third-seeded Williams defeated Bethanie Mattek-Sands 6-4, 6-2, in a much easier match than she had two nights before when she fell behind a set before rallying against Vera Dushevina.

While Williams advances to the third round, Safin's Grand Slam career is over.

Planning to retire at season's end, the former world No. 1 fell 1-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-4 to Jurgen Melzer. Safin's career will end with two Grand Slam titles, a smaller number than many experts thought possible when he broke through by beating Pete Sampras in the 2000 U.S. Open final.

But a lot of good memories, too. He was a fiery, emotional player in a sport that doesn't have many, a player who estimated he's broken more than 300 rackets in his career and also got fined for pulling his pants down once during a French Open match.

The 29-year-old Safin also won the 2005 Australian Open and reached No. 1 in the ATP rankings — a spot his younger sister, Dinara Safina, currently holds in the WTA rankings.

He came into the U.S. Open ranked 58th and with a 12-17 win-loss record this season. Safin also lost in the first round at Wimbledon in June.

Playing in the afternoon in Arthur Ashe Stadium was Rafael Nadal, making his Grand Slam return after skipping Wimbledon with a knee injury. His match was against Frenchman Richard Gasquet, who is coming back from a 2 1/2-month suspension after testing positive for cocaine.

Defending champions Serena Williams and Roger Federer were scheduled for night matches.

Earlier, another two-time Slam champion — Amelie Mauresmo — lost in the second round of the women's draw, falling to Aleksandra Wozniak of Canada 6-4, 6-0.

The 17th-seeded Mauresmo made 31 unforced errors and hit only nine winners. The 2006 Wimbledon and Australian Open champion joined Ana Ivanovic as the second Grand Slam tournament winner to be eliminated in the first week.

Wozniak, making her third appearance at the U.S. Open, advanced to a third-round match against 10th-seeded Flavia Pennetta, who beat Sania Mirza 6-0, 6-0.

No. 20 Anabel Medina Garrigues was also upset on the women's side, falling to Kirsten Flipkens 6-1, 6-3.

Other early women's winners: No. 7 Vera Zvonareva, No. 18 Na Li, No. 31 Elena Vesnina and unseeded Magdalena Rybarikova. No. 13 Gael Monfils also won on the men's side, beating fellow Frenchman Jeremy Chard 6-1, 6-4, 6-3.

The third day at Flushing Meadows features action across both the first and second rounds. The men still have first-round matches to finish and are scheduled to start the second round as well.

Other notable matches Wednesday include: No. 14 Marion Bartoli taking on Kim Clijsters, No. 6 Juan Martin del Potro against Juan Monaco and No. 31 Lleyton Hewitt kicking off the men's second round against Juan Ignacio Chela.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 07:20:41 AM »
saw fed easily dispose of de german greul in 3 sets.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2009, 07:23:24 AM »
What injury? Nadal looks ready for Open run

NEW YORK - Rafael Nadal has never looked happier at the U.S. Open and perhaps its because, after five years of substantial grinding, he was forced to take off some time off.

Rafael Nadal looked solid in his first Grand Slam match since his French Open loss. ( Julian Finney / Getty Images)
Normally spent by this point on the calendar, Nadal missed six weeks over the summer because of tendinitis in his knees and actually got to enjoy some time on the beaches of his beloved island of Mallorca.

Maybe that's why the six-time Grand Slam winner is a bigger threat than some seem to think he is at this tournament. And while he didn't have to bring out all his weaponry in his 6-2, 6-2, 6-3 win over the poorly conditioned Richard Gasquet in the first round on Wednesday, he was extremely solid.

He said he's fully healthy and most importantly, enjoying every single moment on court.

"I am more fresh, fresher than ever in this tournament," he said. "But I don't know if this kind of fresh is good."

What Nadal means is that in prior years, when he went on his incredible rolls, he had numerous matches under his belt and never panicked when closing out contests. In 2008 alone, when he put together his incredible summer, which included the French Open and Wimbledon titles and the Olympic gold medal, he was playing week in and week out, and throwing in more than a few hard-core practices too.

Last year, when he arrived in New York he had played 34 matches from Roland Garros on (winning 33 of them and five titles). By the time he reached his semifinal against Andy Murray, he was less than spry.

"No excuses about being very tired (this year)," Nadal said. "Only last year a little bit because I arrived totally destroyed in semifinals. But for the rest of the years, I didn't play well because I didn't play well. But every year I play a little bit better."

In his eighth year on tour, Nadal isn't exactly a young 23, not when he's already contested 469 matches with a very physical style. He believes that when he's been at his best, he's been tuned up and in great rhythm with plenty of matches under his belt. The flip side is that towards the end of the season, he can be too tapped to tussle.

"I always played well when I have few tournaments in a row, the experience tells me that," he said. "This year not. I started very well in Australia. But the past years I started playing very well in Indian Wells, Miami, and later the clay season. When you get more experience, with less you can play easier."

Nadal was downright miserable in England when he was forced to pull out of Wimbledon without even a small hope at defending his title. He wasn't too thrilled that his aching knees didn't allow him to move as quickly in Paris either, when Robin Soderling took him down in the fourth round — his first ever loss at the French Open.

But for the first time in his young life, he got a breather — and apparently it was sorely needed. While he says it took him two weeks to get his spirits back up, the mental vacation did him a world of good.

"I had few weeks outside of the world," he said. "This was a very positive thing for me. I missed the competition, but I was for the last five years playing every week at 100 percent."

There are a number of things that the Spaniard needs to do in order to win the tournament. He has to stay healthy. He has to serve as hard, with as much spin and with as much fine location as he did against Gasquet. He has to defend as well as he always has, take chances and dictate with his heavy forehand, make sure that his crosscourt backhand is sharply angled and not just push his returns back into play.

Essentially, he has to rediscover the same ferocious attitude that brought him to his first major hard-court crown back in January at the 2009 Australian Open. He has to face down the elite and make sure that they know that one more heavily top-spinned ball is going to come back and shake their rackets.

Nadal will face German Nicolas Kiefer in the next round, who knows how to mix it up and attack. He could face the steady and sometimes spectacular Gael Monfils in the fourth round, or seventh seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga — the same free-swinging guy who took him out of the 2008 Australian Open — in the quarterfinals. And then there might be the matter of Andy Murray and Roger Federer, the world's top two ranked players whom many think will meet in the final again.

Without a doubt, Nadal is capable of winning the event, but his knees must hold up before his let his racket do the talking.

"I know I am in the right way, so I think if I have the chance to win a few more matches and I get the confidence, we will see what happens later," he said.

Notes

Three long-time veterans played their last Grand Slam on Wednesday when 2002 U.S. Open champion Marat Safin, France's "magician" Fabrice Santoro and Romanian warrior Andrei Pavel all lost. This quote from the enigmatic Safin, who has had an atrocious year, says it all: "I don't care about losses anymore." When asked the difference between he and Safin, Santoro said, "Where I'm different is like, I'm still enjoying to be on the court and to play tennis."

After Flavia Pennetta crushed her 6-0, 6-0, India's Sania Mirza — a former top 30 player who has struggled mightily this year — offered this statement about the 10th seeded Italian's chances: "If she plays like that, she's going to win the Open."

Serena Williams — who routed Melinda Czink in Wednesday's nightcap — will face the same woman she accused of cheating against her at the French Open, Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez, in the third round.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 01:42:51 PM »
Serena in fourth round, Tsonga wins at U.S. OpenAssociated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - Defending champion Serena Williams reached the fourth round at the U.S. Open with another straight-set victory.

The No. 2-seeded Williams, seeking her fourth title at Flushing Meadows and 12th Grand Slam singles championship, beat 43rd-ranked Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez 6-3, 7-5 Friday.

They also played in the third round at the French Open, where Williams was pushed to three sets before winning. In that match, Williams hit a ball she was sure went off Martinez Sanchez's arm, then said the Spaniard cheated by not acknowledging it. There was no sign of animosity Friday.

Williams now faces No. 22 Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia, who beat Vania King of the United States 6-2, 6-2.

Flavia Pennetta also advanced to the fourth round, beating Aleksandra Wozniak of Canada 6-1, 6-1 Friday.

The 10th-seeded Italian next plays either Vera Zvonareva and Elena Vesnina.

Pennetta was in control throughout against Wozniak, finishing with 13 winners to three for the Canadian.

Pennetta has lost just six games while sweeping six sets through three rounds at Flushing Meadows. She had her best Grand Slam result in New York last year, losing in the quarterfinals.

On the men's side, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga advanced to the third round with a 7-5, 6-3, 6-4 victory over Jarkko Nieminen of Finland.

The seventh-seeded Frenchman had 45 winners on Friday and converted all three of his break-point chances to improve his win-loss record to 38-14 this year.

Tsonga has reached the third round at Flushing Meadows in three consecutive years but has yet to advance past this point. The 2008 Australian Open finalist lost to Tommy Robredo last year and Rafael Nadal in his U.S. Open debut in 2007.

The 24-year-old Tsonga will play countryman Julien Benneteau in his next match. Benneteau advanced with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, 6-0 victory over 30th-seeded Viktor Troicki of Serbia.

American Jesse Levine fell short in his upset bid, blowing a two-set lead in losing to Croatia's Marin Cilic in the second round.

Cilic rallied for a 4-6, 2-6, 6-0, 6-3, 6-0 victory. Levine advanced to third round at Wimbledon this year. He is from Boca Raton, Fla., and played at the University of Florida.

An unseeded American has beaten a top-40 player eight times in the first four days of the tournament, but Levine couldn't add to the total. He was hurt by 46 unforced errors.

Levine had been awarded a wild card for the third consecutive year and beat Teimuraz Gabashvili in the first round for his first victory at Flushing Meadows.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 09:23:50 PM »
Roddick and Sharapova out. I saw Safina was down a set at 2-2 in the 2nd.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2009, 10:29:15 PM »
safina has such a weird shape  :-X
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

1]; } ?>