April 25, 2024, 11:01:28 PM

Author Topic: RIP Sir Bobby Robson  (Read 4247 times)

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
RIP Sir Bobby Robson
« on: July 31, 2009, 04:12:16 AM »
1933-2009

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 06:42:44 AM by boss »

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
Re: RIP Bobby Robson
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:53:14 AM »
sad news, the man was a true gentleman
probably my most favorite manager
was glad to see him make it out to the charity game last saturday

if allyuh ent know that ws the man that put Mourinho on the way to becoming a football manager.

Boss...put the 'Sir' in front the man name please  :beermug:
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 04:58:41 AM »
shoot a legend is lost.....
All American

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 06:05:48 AM »
Appeared to be very genuine.Wasn't he the one who took the chance on Yorke,from Tobago to Aston Villa?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 06:18:38 AM »
A real icon of the game. I was always amazed by his passion for the game. He had seen it all but the joy was still there. R.I.P. good Sir.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 06:44:12 AM »
Boss...put the 'Sir' in front the man name please  :beermug:

Done  :beermug:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 06:46:59 AM »
RIP
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Consultant

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Sir Bobby Robson
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 06:48:03 AM »
RIP Sir Bobby. A sad loss of a real gentleman.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 06:48:25 AM »
Sir Bobby...nuff respect.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 07:01:14 AM »
RIP Sir Bobby. A huge loss to football and to England.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 07:05:35 AM »
Appeared to be very genuine.Wasn't he the one who took the chance on Yorke,from Tobago to Aston Villa?

i think thats ron atkinson. but sad sad news to hear about sir bobby. i know latas probably hurting over d news. one of the better managers....both for players and the game itself. :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 07:25:59 AM »
de man was ah fighter.he battle cancer and all.RIP sir.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 07:27:13 AM »
Farewell Sir Bobby -salute- :beermug:

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 07:28:39 AM »
ONE OF THE GREATEST MANAGERS EVER!!

R.I.P.
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 07:31:44 AM »
A fine Coach indeed.

maradona had to use his hand to Beat Sir Bobby's side back in 1986.

Was the one who brought Latas up fron the second Div. in Portugal to play for FC Porto.
Latas win enough Cups under that man.

A legend.

RIP Sir Bobby.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 07:53:53 AM »
Bobby came to Trinidad and played against Trinidad twice and a North Trinidad side in 1955:

FA tourists beat North Trinidad 1-0
Date Published: 1955-05-27
Source: Jamaica Gleaner

BUT GOAL DISPUTED

PORT OF SPAIN, May 26:

THE ALL-CONQUERING English Football Association's players kept up their winning streak when they defeated North Trinidad XI one goal to Nil at historic Queen's Park Oval before a crowd of some 12,000 screaming soccer fans, today.

The Englishmen who humbled Bermuda and tore Jamaica's football structure to shreds, found in the Trinidadians a very tough and different type of opposition.

The tourists gave the locals an object lesson in perfect ball control, passing and distribution, but a well nigh impregnable third back formation spearheaded by 24-year-old Pat Gomez, who gave a classic exhibition in goal, thwarted several goal movements by the Englishmen.

Gomez was made a veritable shooting target throughout the match.

It was in the 85th minute of the 90-minute encounter that the English men scored their lone goal, which drew protests from Gomez himself as well as spectators.

Nutt had winged a lofty cross-pass which floated in the air over Trinidad's goal. As the ball descended, Jezzard tore in like a tornado and appeared to bulldoze the ball and Gomez into the goal with a vicious header.

After giving such a grand display it was a great pity that such a disputed goal should have been scored on Gomez.

First "Test" is scheduled on the same ground next Monday.

FA tourists swamp Trinidad 6-0
Date Published: 1955-05-31

'HOMESTERS OUTPLAYED IN EVERY DEPARTMENT'

PORT OF SPAIN, May 30:

THE ENGLISH Football Association eleven completely outplayed the cream of Trinidad football at historic Queen's Park Oval today, where 20,000 fans saw the visitors coast home to a decisive six goals to nil victory in the first soccer match.

The crowd, the biggest ever to watch a soccer match in the British West Indies, had not anticipated such humiliation for the picked Trinidad footballers, because less than a week ago a North Trinidad side put up a capital showing against the tourists, who had to be satisfied with a one nil win.

From the happenings today, it is clear that the visitors took things easily then, but today they unleashed their full venom.

Trinidad employed the "third back" method, but these tactics looked puerile and replete with errors against the Englishmen, who also used their stopper half-back method, but with immeasurably more skill, accuracy and purpose.

The tourists were razor sharp and outplayed their opponents in every department of the game. The homesters were so hopelessly outclassed that at half-time sections of the crowd started ironically to shout that Trinidad should revert to their accustomed roving centre-half style.

At the half-way mark the Englishmen had scored four goals, coming in chronological order from the boots of Bradford, Robson, Bradford and right-winger Groves.

Robson made it five soon after lemon time, then Jezzard whose goal-scoring splurge in Bermuda and Jamaica made him a pre-match favourite with the spectators, put a scorcher past Pat Gomez for the Englishmen's half dozen.

Despite the heavy defeat, Gomez acquitted himself with distinction and could not have saved any of the goals.

The second Colony game is scheduled for Skinner Park, San Fernando, on Thursday.

FA Side Defeat Trinidad 8-1
Date Published: 1955-06-03

Bradford scores 3 again in 2nd game

THE ENGLISH Football Association touring side defeated Trinidad 8-1 in their second soccer match against the Colony at Skinner Park, San Fernando, Trinidad yesterday afternoon. A sell-out crowd watch the match.

Geoff "Hat-trick" Bradford scored the hat-trick, Robert Robson and Ron Heckman, two goals each, and Stan Pearson, one.

Trinidad's lone goal came from Delbert Charleau, who converted a penalty.

It was the second crushing defeat of the Trinidadians by the touring FA team. Three days earlier, on Monday, May 31, the home side was beaten 6-0.

In that match Bradford and Robson scored two goals each, and Vic Groves and Bedford Jezzard one each.

Yesterday's victory clinched the series for the visitors as they have only one Colony match left to play — in Port of Spain tomorrow.

The Englishmen beat a North Trinidad team 1-0 in their first match in Trinidad at Queen's Park Oval on Thursday, May 26.

They won all three matches against Jamaica and two against Bermuda.

From Trinidad they will leave for Curacao on the last leg of their tour.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 02:40:17 PM »
A genuinely nice man in a business with more than its fair share of arseholes.

A gentleman, RIP.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 04:16:55 PM »
RIP Sir Bobby!!!!

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 07:52:20 PM »
MANCHESTER UNITED MANAGER SIR ALEX FERGUSON

"I was never too big or proud to ask him for advice which he gave freely and unconditionally. And I'm sure I am speaking for a lot of people when I say that.

"In my 23 years working in England there is not a person I would put an inch above Bobby Robson. I mourn the passing of a great friend, a wonderful individual, a tremendous football man and somebody with passion and knowledge of the game that was unsurpassed.

FORMER ENGLAND CAPTAIN BRYAN ROBSON

He called me his Captain Marvel and it stuck for the rest of my playing career. It made me very proud but it was only typical of the respect he earned from myself and the rest of the dressing room.

"I have never come across anybody with such a passion for football. We had a tremendous personal relationship as manager and skipper.

"Any criticism he had of a player was kept very private and publicly he gave all of us his total backing.

INTER MILAN BOSS JOSE MOURINHO

"Bobby Robson is one of those people who never die, not so much for what he did in his career, for one victory more or less, but for what he knew to give to those who had, like me, the good fortune to know him and walk by his side," said Mourinho, who was Robson's assistant at Barcelona.

"My thoughts and embraces go to all his loved ones."

FORMER ENGLAND MANAGER SVEN-GORAN ERIKSSON

"First of all he was beyond football a great man, one of the kindest people I ever met.

"He helped me a great deal when I was a young coach and I visited him in Ipswich. He took me, an unknown coach from Sweden, down into the dug-out and explained the tactics.

"The year after Ipswich won the Uefa Cup, my team Gothenburg won it and he came and presented the trophy to me.

"When I became coach of England I called him many times and he was always generous with his advice and helpful.

"It seems he was as friendly to everybody as he was to me. In fact for me, he was the special one."

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 07:55:17 PM »
RIP, big loss to the football fraternity.
Never think the day would come when legends like this pass on.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline royalian

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 09:21:06 PM »
Sir Bobby Robson, English Soccer Legend, Dies at 76

NY Times
By ROB HUGHES
Published: July 31, 2009

LONDON — No matter where in the world you mention the name Bobby Robson, the response is the same: a man of soccer. A man who lived his 50 adult years for the game and through the game.

A man, above all else, whose passion never tired and was never defeated by culture, language or ultimately by the insidious impact of money on the sport.

Sir Bobby Robson died in the early hours of Friday in his native Durham, in northern England. He was 76, he fought five different cancers from 1991, and even last weekend, even in a wheelchair, he was on a soccer pitch in Newcastle.

Some of the great players, his players, formed a guard of honor as he was wheeled on. They thrilled him by reenacting the 1990 World Cup semifinal, which the England side he managed lost on penalty kicks to the West German team of Franz Beckenbauer.

Each of the players still able to kick a ball played last Saturday for as long as they were able. The match was to raise yet more money for Robson’s last great venture, his foundation for a cancer research center to trial new drugs on patients in his home city.

To that end, his life’s full circle had turned from playing the game as a coal miner’s son to managing world renowned players in England, the Netherlands, Portugal, Canada, Spain.

He was raised in a terraced coal miner’s cottage and left school at 15. Until soccer intervened, he was destined to follow his father down the local pit, as an electrician. “My father Philip,” he would say on introducing his parent to anybody he met. “A wonderful man, he only ever missed one shift in 51 years down the pit.” And Philip would settle into the background as people either fawned upon his son, or in his time as England team manager from 1982 to 1990, would seek to tear down his authority.

It was ever thus. From Fulham, the London club where Bobby Robson started as a professional player in 1950, to Ipswich, then Eindhoven, Lisbon, Porto, Barcelona and finally to take over Newcastle, the team his father loved, Robson was single minded, combative, dedicated.

“I saw Frank Sinatra sing when he was nearly 80,” Robson once said. “And I thought it was the best thing I witnessed in my life. It depends who you are and where you are.” His treatment of players is legion. He took the Brazilians Romario and Ronaldo when they were in their teens and far from their culture, in Eindhoven and Barcelona. He dealt with boys and men, with turbulent personalities and meek players.

Often he could barely pronounce, or remember, their names. He often mispronounced Josep Guardiola, now a successor of his as coach to Barcelona, as Gladioli.

But the guiding ethics of his life were hard work and love of the game.

I still have the original text he wrote for a speech at a coaches’ conference in 1977. He was then the team manager at Ipswich Town, a small club he raised to a bigger one in England.

His subject was “The period of Apprenticeship and selection of Professional Material.”

“What do I look for in a young player?” he wrote. “The same things that I look for in a player who might set me back more than one hundred thousand pounds in the transfer market.

“He must have pace, control, understanding and dash. He must be enthusiastic, brave, courageous and dedicated. He must have a certain amount of technique, although that can be added as he matures. If these raw materials are evident, you have something to work from and you have a good chance of producing a professional player.” The script then cautioned: “The qualities are developed during the apprenticeship years by sheer hard graft.” He was to spend the rest of his days nurturing boys from varying walks of life, and from different nationalities, though homesickness and alienation into developing the most precious thing they possess: talent.

I recall a day in Poland where his father had gone along to see an England game, and Bobby asked his guest to take the old man out of the hall, buy him a beer, make sure he does not see the bear baiting of the England manager by the English press.

I recall another day, when Robson was coach to a World XI chosen to play for a Unicef match against the then world champion Germany in Munich. Players arrived by the hour from the far corners of the world. He couldn’t pronounce or remember their names, but he knew their faces, and their talents.

Within one training session he had somehow gelled those disparate players into a team that played a coherent 4-4-2 formation. Each of them called him “Mister,” all played a charity match as if it were the World Cup final. And each of them to this day can remember that training session, that communication, that fun day.

Underlying it was the cause, and underlying Robson’s last cause, his cancer charity was what brought the German and English players of 1990 back to Robson’s boyhood stamping ground, Newcastle United. He had worked through his recurrent bouts of cancer — in the mouth, the lungs, the brain — with humor and fortitude and, his single most evident trait, sheer determination.

The million pounds raised by his charity in its first few months astounded him. It should not have.

People responded to the man he was, the enthusiasm he imparted. “Its difficult to compare achievements, and this is different to football,” he said of the cancer trust in February. “We are talking about saving lives, not winning matches.

“But this is up there with anything I have achieved in the game. Football makes a huge difference to people, but what the people here at this research center are doing is more important.

“Soccer is about beating your opponent, this is about beating death. I have met unforgettable people, and this has been a great year.”

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 02:02:24 AM »
Latapy adds to Robson tributes
Saturday, August 1st 2009

Trinidad and Tobago head coach Russell Latapy yesterday paid tribute to former England manager Sir Bobby Robson following his passing after a long battle with cancer at the age of 76.

Latapy played under Robson at FC Porto in Portugal during the 1996-1998 period

Robson had been in Trinidad in 2000 with Newcastle United and subsequently invited defender Dennis Lawrence for a trial at the Premiership club. Robson also played in Trinidad in May, 1955 when he was part of a visiting England Football Association team. Some of the local players who lined up against him in the three games at the Queen's Park Oval in Port of Spain and Skinner Park, San Fernando included Pat Gomez and Delbert Charleau

"I learned a whole lot from Sir Bobby that helped me to develop even further during my career as a player. In my opinion, he was one of the top coaches in the world and certainly the best that I've ever played under. My condolences go out to his family, " Latapy told TTFF Media yesterday.

"He had massive influence on my career and is a true legend. He had a mind and an eye for the game that you don't get too often today," said Latapy. He added that his experience with the former England manager at Porto would have undoubtedly played some part in his turning towards coaching.

Robson had predicted that Latapy would be a hit the Scottish Premier League with Hibernian back in 1999.

At Porto, Robson had a host of international stars including goalkeeper Vitor Baia, midfielder Joao Pinto and defender Carlos Secretario who were all part of Portugal 's Euro '96 squad and Brazilian ace Emerson who later moved to Middlesbrough.

Robson said back then:"We had a very good team at Porto, quite a large squad and Russell had to fight for his place but I used him quite considerably in the first team. He was a terrific player, very skilful, a good passer of the ball who can use both feet as well as packing a bit of a shot - but I'll bet the Hibs supporters know that already."

He added: "Russell would be a good role model for any young player, he loved training and never gave me a moment's trouble."

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2009, 05:49:40 AM »

Nah Royal that was Graham Taylor.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2009, 09:12:47 AM »

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2009, 12:15:53 PM »
one of my favorites..........

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2009, 06:50:14 PM »
Sir Bobby Robson..respect

VB...to my knowledge...Tomislav Ivic signed latas for Porto...then left before the season started and Robson came in.... i remember the story going like when Robson walked into the first day of training to meet the players...he asked who is that small man.... like to the tune of "he too small to play here kinda ting"...
and it took the voice of the Porto president to tell Robson...thats a player we were after for 2 seasons..we just got him...and he stays

maybe de cyber detectives could find de article
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2009, 07:35:45 PM »
Sir Bobby Robson..respect

VB...to my knowledge...Tomislav Ivic signed latas for Porto...then left before the season started and Robson came in.... i remember the story going like when Robson walked into the first day of training to meet the players...he asked who is that small man.... like to the tune of "he too small to play here kinda ting"...
and it took the voice of the Porto president to tell Robson...thats a player we were after for 2 seasons..we just got him...and he stays

maybe de cyber detectives could find de article

Dat story ringin a bell.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2009, 08:00:53 PM »
He signed my copy of 'Shoot' magazine when I was ten years old.

A pure football man, always had time for the so-called 'little people' (the fans).

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2009, 11:58:49 AM »
I read this somewhere else, and I think it says it all about the esteem that he is held in, by supporters of all clubs  :beermug:

To the Sunderland fans that came up to Celtic Park for the friendly,you have been fantastic in honouring Sir Bobby. The minutes' applause was observed and hats off for starting 'There's only one Bobby Robson' chant. I truly commend your lot. Rest in Peace Sir Bob, a true Knight of the realm.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 11:24:56 AM »

RIP Sir Bobby a real legend.

Més que un club.

1]; } ?>