March 28, 2024, 10:46:34 AM

Author Topic: Chelsea and Pirlo  (Read 4967 times)

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Chelsea and Pirlo
« on: August 04, 2009, 07:12:11 AM »
I know I am not Ancelotti... but I really have to question the desire to bring Pirlo to Chelsea. True, he is (arguably) the best deep lying playmaker in the world but I would think that a team with Lampard, Ballack, Essien and Jon Obi Mikel already, one of them could fulfil that role. All 4 of them are more Pirlo than a Gattuso or Kaka, so if he trying to duplicate the Milan style I would go for a more Kaka like player than a Pirlo like one.

I guess, based on his thinking, Lampard = Seedorf ; Essien = Gattuso; and right now it was Malouda, Joe Cole and Kalou for the Kaka role. Now that he selling Kalou, I guess Deco might get a bligh there (if he doh leave.) or the new 'winger' they buy.

But where does that leave Ballack? I think Ballack coulda done the Pirlo role unless he is just backup for Lampard.

The only way I see it is that maybe Mikel still being groomed so he figure Pirlo will be able to be the person to show him how to do it properly, since Mikel is definitely not a Makelele and have talent to be a more creative player.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: Chelsea and Pirlo
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 07:23:46 AM »
i too have real questions for this deal... central midfield is the last place that Chelsea need to bolster right now.

As good as Pirlo is, even if he comes he will still have to adapt to the pace of the EPL. Furthermore the move will stifle Obi Mikel's progress.. As far as I concerned, whatever Ancelotti trying to get out of Pirlo he could get right there from Deco.

right now the missing piece to the puzzle is a mobile, pacy striker to play off Drogba, because I still not convinced that Anelka is the answer as a strike partner. Somebody of an Aguero, Villa mould.

the squad right now real strong and i optimistic, but i also watching the scene and quietly skeptical. best case scenario is Chelsea steamroll all comers, worst case scenario is the system don't work properly in the EPL and its the Scolari effect all over again.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 07:39:52 AM »
Yeah i myself was even thinking Deco as the most qualified there pulling the strings, but without the shield that was Gattusso, it will be hard for a small man like Deco to do that there. And I know Ancelotti not giving Deco such a pivotal role after the summer transfer fiasco.

I feel Ballack is a good enough player to do it...even better than Pirlo probably. He have more vision than Lampard, although he like to make those runs into the box a lot as well.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 08:47:11 AM »
Yeah i myself was even thinking Deco as the most qualified there pulling the strings, but without the shield that was Gattusso, it will be hard for a small man like Deco to do that there. And I know Ancelotti not giving Deco such a pivotal role after the summer transfer fiasco.

I feel Ballack is a good enough player to do it...even better than Pirlo probably. He have more vision than Lampard, although he like to make those runs into the box a lot as well.

Pirlo vision and passing range is better than all presently at Chelsea. What it may allow is for the attacking players to play further forward. Pirlo also brings his dead ball skills, which I admire.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 08:50:59 AM »

Pirlo vision and passing range is better than all presently at Chelsea. What it may allow is for the attacking players to play further forward. Pirlo also brings his dead ball skills, which I admire.

Level tutu!!  Pirlo is great in those categories but Lampard, Deco and Ballack can all do the same things and with more pace.  All 3 are great dead ball kickers as well so I eh sure how you come up with the bolded.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 08:53:51 AM »
Chelsea cant come back with that no width brand again with no wingers, they done get burn with that with Scolari.. need to have wingers from the start, and with this diamond formation and the players that coming in, it looking like that is where it headed.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 09:24:32 AM »

Level tutu!!  Pirlo is great in those categories but Lampard, Deco and Ballack can all do the same things and with more pace.  All 3 are great dead ball kickers as well so I eh sure how you come up with the bolded.

Hoss yuh talkin' mess... Lampard and Ballack doh conduct traffic like Pirlo...Totally different players...Lampard and Ballack are more high impact players who throw their weight around more and are more direct in attack around the 18, but when yuh talkin' vision, and controlling the pace of a game with ball distribution and movement, dem fellas doh come close to Pirlo hoss...Take a look at the role that Pirlo plays for Italy/Milan- it's night and day to what Lampard and Ballack do for their respective teams.

Deco is a closer type of player to Pirlo- similar style and attributes, but Pirlo plays deeper role.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »

Hoss yuh talkin' mess... Lampard and Ballack doh conduct traffic like Pirlo...Totally different players...Lampard and Ballack are more high impact players who throw their weight around more and are more direct in attack around the 18, but when yuh talkin' vision, and controlling the pace of a game with ball distribution and movement, dem fellas doh come close around Pirlo hoss...Take a look at the role that Pirlo plays for Italy/Milan- it's night and day to what Lampard and Ballack do for their respective teams.

Deco is a closer type of player to Pirlo- similar style and attributes, but Pirlo plays deeper role.

You need to comprehend what you reading better then respond "Pirlo is great in those categories but Lampard, Deco and Ballack can (did you notice that word?) all do the same things and with more pace."  In Previous years at Bayern and even for Germany in the 06 campaign Ballack played very much the same role except for the fact the he attacked more than Pirlo does.  Lampard as well can play that role if charged with such duty.  Not because he isn't called upon to do it means he cannot.  They are both bigger than Pirlo and more physically determined in their movements so I understand the natural instinct to point to their physical play.  Keep in mind though, they play in the EPL whre size and speed are necessary attributes for a quality player more often than not.  Deco througout his career has more often played a similar role so he is easily noticable as potentially fitting that same role.  His dimunitive stature ensures that he cannot play the same physical style as MB and FL.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 09:50:03 AM »

Hoss yuh talkin' mess... Lampard and Ballack doh conduct traffic like Pirlo...Totally different players...Lampard and Ballack are more high impact players who throw their weight around more and are more direct in attack around the 18, but when yuh talkin' vision, and controlling the pace of a game with ball distribution and movement, dem fellas doh come close to Pirlo hoss...Take a look at the role that Pirlo plays for Italy/Milan- it's night and day to what Lampard and Ballack do for their respective teams.

Madness, let Pirlo come to the EPL and see how much time and space he getting to do that. Lampard and Ballack is just as good, if not better.

Omar.. I feel you will see a lot of 1-4-4-1 or 2-4-4 or 4-2-4 type formation pushing forward and presing high, hence the reason, Drogba/Anelka will be enough up front and Essien and Pirlo playing side and side with Essien being more defensive. With Bosingwa and his attributes and now having J. Cole, A.Cole, Malouda and Zhirkov the wing game will give opponents a torrid time. The diamond will come from Pirlo/Esien the two central mids and the Forward possibly. He never really specified how he playing the diamond so I am only guessing.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 09:55:37 AM »

In Previous years at Bayern and even for Germany in the 06 campaign Ballack played very much the same role except for the fact the he attacked more than Pirlo does. 

No he didn't.  

Neither Ballack nor Lampard spray passes around and connect the dots like Pirlo.  So when you say that Ballack & Lampard can do the same things I disagree...We can speculate on what they can or can't do, and as pro players at the highest level of course it's reasonable to assume that they can (like you speculate).  But if in their careers they've never exhibited the style/manner of play that we're talking about, I disagree that it's within their repertoire to do so...Not a knock on them of course- they're world class players...but when it comes to vision, distribution, range of passing and quality of ball movement they are a notch below Pirlo in my opinion.

Same position- arguable  

Same role? no.

Same style/manner? (which is what is implied most by Observer when he talks about vision and passing range)- again no.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 10:00:11 AM »

Madness, let Pirlo come to the EPL and see how much time and space he getting to do that. Lampard and Ballack is just as good, if not better.

See how allyuh puttin' words in my mouth.  I never said that Pirlo could play his same game in the EPL- I agree the style of play may not suit his game.  I'm responding to Observer's statement that his passing range and vision is better than Lampard & Ballack...and Killa's disagreement with that.

Is Pirlo suited to the EPL? I dunno...maybe not- not my point.

Can Ballack & Lampard replicate Pirlo's game in terms of vision & distribution (even if they went to Serie A)?- I don't think so.

Could they (Lamps & Ballack) be great players in Serie A? - sure...but not in the same manner as Pirlo- different players in my opinion.  That's all I'm saying

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 10:01:24 AM »

In Previous years at Bayern and even for Germany in the 06 campaign Ballack played very much the same role except for the fact the he attacked more than Pirlo does. 

No he didn't.  

Neither Ballack nor Lampard spray passes around and connect the dots like Pirlo.  So when you say that Ballack & Lampard can do the same things I disagree...We can speculate on what they can or can't do, and as pro players at the highest level of course it's reasonable to assume that they can (like you speculate).  But if in their careers they've never exhibited the style/manner of play that we're talking about, I disagree that it's within their repertoire to do so...Not a knock on them of course- they're world class players...but when it comes to vision, distribution, range of passing and quality of ball movement they are a notch below Pirlo in my opinion.

Same position- arguable  

Same role? no.

Same style/manner? (which is what is implied most by Observer when he talks about vision and passing range)- again no.

Because they are not really required to. They play within a system that requires them more than anything to stop penetration through the middle and win the ball back as quickly as possible. Not doing it regualryly does not = not being able to do it.

The role also cannot equalize players, ability to perform A role may quicker do this.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 10:02:40 AM »

See how allyuh puttin' words in my mouth.  I never said that Pirlo could play his same game in the EPL- I agree the style of play may not suit his game.  I'm responding to Observer's statement that his passing range and vision is better than Lampard & Ballack...and Killa's disagreement with that.

Is Pirlo suited to the EPL? I dunno...maybe not- not my point.

Can Ballack & Lampard replicate Pirlo's game in terms of vision & distribution (even if they went to Serie A)?- I don't think so.

Yes, they both have the technical ability and awareness to to this. With the increase space and time they will be able to find they will be able to move the ball around the field.
Could they (Lamps & Ballack) be great players in Serie A? - sure...but not in the same manner as Pirlo- different players in my opinion.  That's all I'm saying

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 10:05:22 AM »

No he didn't.  

Same position- arguable  

Same role? no.

I am convinced you does watch football high, cause you eh watchin de same game.  To say Ballack didn't play a similar role in the last WC campaign for Germany only confirms it.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 10:12:04 AM »

No he didn't.  

Same position- arguable  

Same role? no.

Because they are not really required to. They play within a system that requires them more than anything to stop penetration through the middle and win the ball back as quickly as possible. Not doing it regualryly does not = not being able to do it.

The role also cannot equalize players, ability to perform A role may quicker do this.

I disagree... I think even at the highest level, different players have different attributes, skill sets and abilities- especially where creativity and vision are concerned...By speculating that Ballack and Lampard can do what Pirlo does, even though they've never exhibited in their careers, and attributing that to the fact that they're never called upon to do so, you're making it out to be as if high quality central midfielders are homogenous, and that Pirlo's qualities of vision and ball movement/distribution are replicable by quality central midfielder playing at the highest level once called upon to do so.  

I disagree.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 10:23:05 AM »

I am convinced you does watch football high, cause you eh watchin de same game.  To say Ballack didn't play a similar role in the last WC campaign for Germany only confirms it.

I like how very much the same role, now gets diluted to a similar role...

Go back and watch Germany v Italy in the S-final...Ballack did not play the same deep lying role as Pirlo- he just didn't.  Look at where Ballack generally collected the ball in that game, and look at what he did with it when he got it...and compare it to Pirlo...

I think they generally occupy a similar position (in a static chalkboard line up), but because of the differences in their attributes, and as such the differences in how they generally go about their business on the field, they effectively play different roles for their respective teams. 

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 10:42:09 AM »
last season, the most telling injury Chelsea had was Joe Cole missing most of the season. Deco and Ballack were also injured for most parts of the season at crucial times.

While Pirlo is way too talented to be used as an insurance policy, I think Ancelotti will be rotating the players to keep them fresh, healthy and competitive as Chelsea will seek to win all the competitions they're part of, and will have a strong and deep midfield available at all times. Ancelotti's trademark in his 2 CL triumphs has always been a deep, talented and versatile midfield.

From pre-season games, Ancelotti seemed to be experimenting alot with a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond.
The 1-2-1 midfield will most likely figure Lampard and Essien as the top/ bottom of the diamond, but then check the depth in the middle. On any day any of these players could start on any EPL team, but it will only have place for two.

-----------Lampard------------
Deco -- Obi Mikel -- Ballack -- Pirlo -- J. Cole -- Malouda -- Beletti
------------Essien-------------
throw parties, not grenades.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 10:44:03 AM »

I like how very much the same role, now gets diluted to a similar role...

Go back and watch Germany v Italy in the S-final...Ballack did not play the same deep lying role as Pirlo- he just didn't.  Look at where Ballack generally collected the ball in that game, and look at what he did with it when he got it...and compare it to Pirlo...

I think they generally occupy a similar position (in a static chalkboard line up), but because of the differences in their attributes, and as such the differences in how they generally go about their business on the field, they effectively play different roles for their respective teams. 

Is that the only game on which your assertion is based.  I said throughout the campaign which if yuh eh realize inlcludes qualifiers and group stage.  It have no diluting of nothing fella, cause you eh really watch Germany play much of that campaign if you still stuck on that argument.  In the world cup itself Frings asserted himself more than usual which allowed Klinsmann to push Ballack further up the pitch to control the game from the opponent side of the field.  Lahm also played a key role in why Ballack was able to be so much more forward throughout the world cup final games.  If you saw the qualifiers and any friendlies in the build up you would see where Ballack played essentially the same role.  As for vision and passing, you really can't be serious in thinking Ballack can't execute on the same level when called upon to do so.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:45:38 AM by Flickin Killa a/k/a Mad Scorpion »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 10:49:48 AM »
Is that the only game on which your assertion is based.  

Nah watched other games as well (including one or two of their qualifying games)...Just thought the Italy game was the best example as they were both on the field at the same time... but wateva, I eh no expert, don't really care that much and this is a stupid conversation.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:52:58 AM by kicker »

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 10:54:34 AM »
Is that the only game on which your assertion is based.  

Nah watched other games as well... but wateva, this is a stupid conversation.

It only stupid because yuh cyah prove what yuh claimin :devil:  If yuh had a few cheerleaders and a few other games to point to, to illustrate Ballack's inability (as you would have us believe) to play a similar style, I'm sure it would be worthwhile.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 11:26:24 AM »
right now the missing piece to the puzzle is a mobile, pacy striker to play off Drogba, because I still not convinced that Anelka is the answer as a strike partner. Somebody of an Aguero, Villa mould.

LOL
Which part of leading the EPL in goals made you think he isn't the answer?
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 11:42:04 AM »
Ballack is way more equipped to handle a playmaking role than Lampard. Lampard's vision, passing and kicking technique are highly suspect. His best attributes are his workrate and his positional play. He's a predator in and around the area, that's why he scores so many goals.

Somehow I feel real men on this site doh even watch plenty football

Pirlo is a hound in my opinion anyway, and I will be glad to see him leave AC. I'm just speculating but I feel he'll 2-2 down himself in the EPL. Too slow, too old.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 11:47:11 AM »
Ballack is way more equipped to handle a playmaking role than Lampard. Lampard's vision, passing and kicking technique are highly suspect. His best attributes are his workrate and his positional play. He's a predator in and around the area, that's why he scores so many goals.

Pirlo is a hound in my opinion anyway, and I will be glad to see him leave AC. I'm just speculating but I feel he'll 2-2 down himself in the EPL. Too slow, too old.

All ah dat fella?  Is ah hong yuh call de man yuh kno :rotfl:

Well yuh did say IMO so hey.  Me eh think he is ah hound but I don't see him as possessing some extraordinary vision and passing range that Ballack, Lampard and Deco don't

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 11:58:55 AM »

LOL
Which part of leading the EPL in goals made you think he isn't the answer?

The part where he rack up goals against the EPL shit teams, and where he went missing in the big league clashes and Champs League games.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 11:59:41 AM »

Lampard's kicking technique suspect??

thats one of the hallmarks of his game and it is why he score so many goals from outside the box.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 12:03:45 PM »
The part where he rack up goals against the EPL shit teams, and where he went missing in the big league clashes and Champs League games.

I think only Chelsea fans for the most part understand this and don't just look at the #s.  Scoring against shit teams eh de half doh, wha bout dem goals weh he slide eeh front ah nex man to poke home and all dem clumsy finishes that look like he had no idea wey de ball was.  He ha to do it again to make me a believer cause I eh sold at all.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 01:17:26 PM »

From pre-season games, Ancelotti seemed to be experimenting alot with a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond.
The 1-2-1 midfield will most likely figure Lampard and Essien as the top/ bottom of the diamond, but then check the depth in the middle. On any day any of these players could start on any EPL team, but it will only have place for two.

Ancellotti say that Lampard playin on the left of the diamond, that is why I liken him to the Seedorf role. Pirlo is usually at the bottom of the diamond for Ac Milan with Gattusso protecting him by doing the hustling on the right of that midfield. I see Essien as the only man who could do that at Chelsea, with Obi Mikel a hopeful substitute.

Somebody else was talking about the no wing play didn't work in the past for Chelsea. Well, regarding the wing play, Milan wing play came from the wingbacks (even Becks was more of a wingback at Milan than a midfielder). Malouda also said in an interview that he gettig to play more in the middle now so he have to adapt and make an impact, so doh expect no wing play from the midfield.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 01:23:13 PM »
Ancellotti say that Lampard playin on the left of the diamond, that is why I liken him to the Seedorf role. Pirlo is usually at the bottom of the diamond for Ac Milan with Gattusso protecting him by doing the hustling on the right of that midfield. I see Essien as the only man who could do that at Chelsea, with Obi Mikel a hopeful substitute.

Somebody else was talking about the no wing play didn't work in the past for Chelsea. Well, regarding the wing play, Milan wing play came from the wingbacks (even Becks was more of a wingback at Milan than a midfielder). Malouda also said in an interview that he gettig to play more in the middle now so he have to adapt and make an impact, so doh expect no wing play from the midfield.

Not much different when yuh have Bosingwa and Cole taking turns going up the wings.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 01:27:54 PM »

But thats not far off what Scolari was doing when he was there with Bosingwa and Cole supposedly there to provide width and Deco pulling the strings.. The problem with that system is that when the wingbacks push up, you liable to get burn on the counter.. and also when another side pressing you hard and the wingbacks get pegged back in their half then there is not much to offer going forward.

To me that was what was laid bare in the game Man Utd beat them 3-0 last season. That system might work well in Italy where sides dont break at that kinda pace, but in the EPL I am not so sure. Plenty of the EPL is about counter-attacking with pace as opposed to patient, constructive build up.

The way it panning out, the midfield diamond going and look like this (without considering Pirlo yet):

Essien
            Ballack              Malouda/Zhirkov
                      Lampard

.. with the flexibility to bench Anelka, bring in Obi Mikel and play 5 in the middle.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 02:27:59 PM »

Lampard's kicking technique suspect??

thats one of the hallmarks of his game and it is why he score so many goals from outside the box.

Horse if you count the number of shots he has misfired/miskicked you'll be amazed

1]; } ?>