April 26, 2024, 01:57:17 AM

Author Topic: V. Klitschko v Arreola  (Read 2917 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
V. Klitschko v Arreola
« on: August 11, 2009, 09:48:28 AM »
V. Klitschko to fight Arreola in L.A. on Sept. 26Associated Press
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Vitali Klitschko has agreed to defend his WBC heavyweight title against rising prospect Chris Arreola in Los Angeles on Sept. 26.

Arreola promoter Dan Goossen confirmed details of the much-rumored fight to The Associated Press on Wednesday.
The bout will be the 38-year-old Klitschko's third fight since returning from a layoff of nearly four years to beat Samuel Peter late last year. Klitschko (37-2, 36 KOs) hoped to fight England's David Haye in Germany on Sept. 12, but Haye backed out last month, choosing to fight Nikolai Valuev instead.

So Klitschko agreed to a major fight at Staples Center for the third time in his career. He'll take on Arreola (27-0, 24 KOs), who grew up east of Los Angeles.

Arreola is hoping to become the first Mexican-American fighter to win a major heavyweight title, and Goossen expects a large Southern California crowd supporting both boxers. Klitschko has lived in Los Angeles at times for the past several years.

"I just think it could go through the roof," Goossen said. "I think we're going to pack Staples."

Klitschko, whose brother Wladimir holds the IBF and WBO heavyweight titles, fought Lennox Lewis at Staples Center in June 2003, losing on cuts in the sixth round despite leading the fight on the judges' scorecards. Klitschko then won the WBC title in Los Angeles in 2004, stopping Corrie Sanders.

After one more defense, Klitschko retired and repeatedly scuttled comeback attempts because of injuries and two failed campaigns to become the mayor of Kiev, Ukraine. When he finally returned against Peter, Klitschko had little trouble stopping the champion, who quit on his stool after the eighth round in Germany.

The fight with Arreola came together quickly after Haye dropped out. Arreola had been anticipating a fight against Oleg Maskaev next month, but eagerly seized the chance to take on Klitschko instead.

Arreola informally broke news of the fight to several dozen fans at the Agua Caliente Resort near Palm Springs last weekend while watching Timothy Bradley's victory over Nate Campbell.

"It's going to be big," Arreola told a handful of cheering fans. "I'm going to get that (title), believe it."
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: V. Klitschko v Arreola
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 09:49:12 AM »
big big test fuh vitali.expect to go de distance.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 06:35:23 PM »
wit ah name like areola ...no wonder he take up boxing
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 08:33:06 AM »

Klit fighting Arreola... well yes...
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 02:17:12 PM »
Arreola an anomaly in anemic heavyweight ranks

Early on the morning of June 22, 2008, boxing promoter Lou DiBella ran into a fighter named Cristobal Arreola at a Beale Street bar in Memphis. Arreola, with beers the size of oil cans in either hand, looked to be having a good time.

He was certainly enjoying himself more than DiBella, whose fighter Arreola had just demolished, knocking him down twice in the third round. If you can't beat him, the promoter figured, drink with him.

As it happened, DiBella once had a chance to sign Arreola. "Wish I had," he says now. "He's not the most gifted heavyweight. But he's the most compelling character we have — a Mexican kid with balls. Also, he's a great guy to have a beer with."

In fact, Arreola is Mexican-American, from Riverside, Calif. I don't know if he has the skills. But he has the punch, not to mention the look, a memorable gang-banger's face that is by turns affable and menacing. Already, much has been made of the fact that he stands to become the first heavyweight champion of Mexican descent this Saturday night at Staples Center against Vitali Klitschko. Less mentioned — and nearly unthinkable in the not so distant past — is the idea that he could become America's first rightful heavyweight champ in more than a decade, since Evander Holyfield first fought Lennox Lewis in 1999.

Sorry, I refuse to regard the Hasim Rahmans and the John Ruiz's, the Chris Byrds and the James Toneys as anything other than accidental champions. In fact, their apparent and ephemeral success are symptoms of what ails both the division and the economic health of boxing. It may sound jingoistic, but it's the truth. It wouldn't hurt to have an American champ.

For baby boomers and their kid brothers, the phrase itself — American heavyweight champion — still feels redundant. I mean, what else would he be? Boys became men assured in the knowledge that the title was a star-spangled birthright.

He was impossibly famous and wealthy. He was the baddest man on the planet. But now you wonder: whatever happened to the American heavyweight?

"He's playing tight end or wide receiver," says DiBella. "Or he's a power forward, a small forward, or any kind of forward."

The reason is irrefutable, economic determinism. Says DiBella: "The way things are, if a kid's a good athlete, he's well advised to do something else."

Boxing, said the boxing guy, "is a bad economic choice."

"It used to be the highest paid athletes were star fighters," said promoter Dan Goosen, who had the foresight to sign Arreola. "It wasn't a basketball player or a football player or a baseball player. It was always a fighter."

"When Muhammad Ali was fighting in the '60s, a lineman in pro football was making six grand a year. He had to have a second and a third job," says Bob Arum.

It's worth noting that Arum decided almost three decades ago to concentrate on the lower weight classes. The intervening years may have seen boxing lose a lot of cachet in the U.S. But America still produces good and great fighters in all but the heavyweight division.

A list of the pound-for-pound best would include Bernard Hopkins and Chad Dawson, both fighting at 175 pounds, Floyd Mayweather and Shane Mosley at 147, Paul Williams and Kelly Pavlik, who will meet at 160. They're all Americans, but the biggest of them couldn't play wideout, much less tight end. Most of them are too small for baseball. As Arum puts it, "When was the last time you saw a major leaguer the size of Mayweather?"

You can point to mixed martial arts, if you must. But America's pool of heavyweight talent started shrinking long before anyone heard of the UFC. By the way, boxing isn't something to which one returns, or begins late. You don't fight just because you've failed or been injured in another sport. Being a good athlete doesn't make you a fighter. The examples of doomed heavyweights who thought they could get by on mere physical gifts are legion, from Ed "Too Tall" Jones to Michael Grant.

Fighters are born, then arduously developed. Consider what longtime boxing publicist Bill Caplan calls "the Golden Age of Heavyweights" — an era that runs, roughly, from Muhammad Ali through Larry Holmes. The supporting cast of that era — guys like Earnie Shavers, Ron Lyle, Jerry Quarry, and yes, even Gerry Cooney — would've been champions today.

Arum cites a couple of compelling examples. Larry Johnson was a great amateur in Houston, before signing with UNLV, and later, with the Charlotte Hornets, who would give him a then-unheard of $84 million to go with his Converse deal.

Then there's Giants running back Brandon Jacobs, who was "a terrific amateur" in Louisiana. Jacobs still loves the fight game, but apparently not enough to have passed up a scholarship to Southern Illinois.

"Talented big guys have so many opportunities in football and basketball," says Arum, "that they're not particularly interested spending their days and nights in a smelly gym."

Put it this way: You can have the painful and monastic life of an apprentice fighter. Or you can have boosters and coeds, training table and team doctors. Not much of a choice, is it?

"They're all part-time boxers today," says Bruce Silverglade, owner of the renowned Gleason's Gym in Brooklyn. "They have to work for a living.

"Let's say an up-and-coming kid gets four four-rounders in a year. If he's getting top dollar, he's getting a thousand a fight. His trainer takes between 10 and 20 percent. A manager, if he's got one, can get up to a third. Then there's the cutman, $125 for medical, urine and blood tests. The kid's real lucky if he walks away with $650.

"But he's still got to tell his girlfriend why he's all busted up."

Which brings me back to Cris Arreola. I don't see him having much more than a puncher's chance against Vitali Klitschko (personally, I think he'd do better against Vitali's more talented, but not as tough kid brother, Wladimir). But he's resolutely old school, which is to say that, win or lose, he'll have earned those double-fisted refreshments.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 03:58:53 AM »
Nice read. Would like to know who the source.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 05:04:06 PM »

Klit fighting Arreola... well yes...

So a test to see who sucks? :devil:
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 10:30:01 AM »
Arreola didn't punch enough to beat Klitschko
by Mark Kriegel
Mark Kriegel is the national columnist for FOXSports.com. He is the author of two New York Times best sellers,
LOS ANGELES - As endings go, this wasn't a good one. I refer not to an apparently premature stoppage — the corner throwing in the towel after ten rounds in a heavyweight championship fight — but to the sight of Cristobal Arreola sobbing in the ring.

There is something especially disconcerting about a big man weeping. It's even worse when that man is a likable sort. Finally, and most disturbing of all, was the sight of his 6-year-old daughter, Danae, crying at ringside.

Heavy handed Photos: How Cris Arreola didn't fall after some of Vitali Klitschko's big punches is a mystery. Check them out for yourself. 
"I'm sorry guys," said Arreola, his face swollen but uncut from the beating he suffered at the hands of Vitali Klitschko.

I was sorry, too. I like Arreola. I like the idea of Arreola, with his good humor and his inky, tatted torso, and yes, his talent. The 28-year-old from Riverside, Calif., had a chance to become the first heavyweight champion of Mexican descent at Staples Center on Saturday night. But for all the affection directed toward him, I couldn't help but thinking: It's a little late for apologies.

Yes, as it turned out, Arreola had a puncher's chance. But not if he didn't punch. Vitali Klitschko is a tough, long, experienced champion. But he's also mechanical (that sweeping, bent-arm uppercut looks like he's bowling) and vulnerable, especially with his right hand dangling at his side. From where I was sitting, Arreola would have shed fewer tears if only he'd thrown more left hands with the title on the line.

He had a little success with the jab, and more when he doubled it. I gave him the fourth round; two of the three the judges gave him the eighth. But he was outjabbed, according to CompuBox, 519 to 224. The guy who wanted turn the fight into a brawl threw just 107 power shots, easily less than half of those hooks. In fact, the punch I'll remember as indicative of the fight came at the very end, with the seconds dwindling in the 10th, and what would prove final, round. The fighters were near the ropes when Arreola began to throw a hook — and then didn't. He pulled it back.

This much is due Cris Arreola: he can take a better punch than anyone knew. "A great, great chin," said Klitschko. "He took a couple of very hard punches to the head, but he still stood. ... I was shocked."

The magnanimous victor didn't end there, either. "Cris Arreola has all the skill to be a world champion."

That much is also true. Arreola's first loss in 28 fights is not explained merely by his manboobs. He has a chin. He has talent. But just the same, he cannot say he left everything in that ring Saturday night, not when he was pulling back those left hands.

Early in the fight — figure the fourth round — Arreola returned to his corner with the thought that he could jab with Klitschko, maybe even outjab him. "I was reaching him," he said. "I felt good. But then the next round he started moving laterally. When he did that, I started reaching, and he started catching me with a sneak right hand and I just looked like a dummy. ... It was basically his lateral movement and his legs. He moved his legs real good."

Arreola was outclassed. He lacked, among other things, Klitschko's experience. Still, he seemed to be fighting as if he were happy enough just to have a title shot. Look, maybe there was no way for him to turn the fight into the brawl he needed it to be. But he should've tried. Maybe he couldn't hit Klitschko (38-2, 37 KOs) with those left hands. Just the same, he should've thrown them. He was only fighting for the heavyweight championship of the world.

"I don't have the heart in me to lose," Arreola said later. "That's why I was crying. It really hurts. ...

"No more Coronas. I'm going to work my ass off. I'm not going to let this fight break me."

The burden of proof, like the talent, is now his. As it happened, Klitschko won every round but the eighth on the judges' cards. By then, Klitschko had bloodied his opponent's nose. Arreola's prominent cranium was already swollen. But the fans were still calling for the hook that never came.

By the ninth, a pro-Arreola crowd — a little more than 16,000, 14,556 of whom had paid Staples Center for tickets — was booing. It was all he could do to keep coming forward. And he kept coming, if not throwing.

That was the problem. He only had that puncher's chance. At least until the 10th round. "I was surprised that he didn't come out," said Klitschko.

Of his decision to stop the fight, Arreola's trainer and friend, Henry Ramirez, said: "He was taking too much punishment. When I stopped it, he was irate. This was not an easy thing to do."

Before they had gone into the ring Arreola had warned Ramirez: "I'll kick your ------- ass if you stop this fight."

But at the end of 10, the trainer felt he had no choice. "It was my job to protect Cris from himself. He was just taking too much punches to the head, and I didn't really see the possibility of turning the tide. I just decided it was time. I felt justified."

Next thing you knew, a likeable, talented heavyweight was sobbing in the ring. It hurt, no doubt. But there are different kinds of pain. And even then you had to wonder, what afflicted Arreola more?

Was it losing?

Not doing more to win?

Or not knowing how?

1]; } ?>