April 27, 2024, 03:12:29 PM

Author Topic: Julius to join Avery at DC United.  (Read 4653 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Julius to join Avery at DC United.
« on: August 14, 2009, 08:22:28 AM »
Julius James to D.C. United.
The Washington Post.

The Insider has learned from two sources that DCU is in the process of finalizing a trade for Houston defender Julius James. United would likely relinquish a draft pick. An announcement is possible later today.

James, 25, is a central defender from Trinidad and Tobago via the University of Connecticut who was a first-round draft pick for Toronto in 2008. He was sent to Houston this past offseason as part of the Dwayne De Rosario trade. After making 10 starts last year, he has made five starts and eight appearances for the Dynamo and was on loan with Minnesota in USL1 for two games.

With two players on trial in United camp, expect more moves in the coming weeks as the club prepares for a grueling stretch of games in MLS and Champions League plus the U.S. Open Cup final.

The club confirmed the Insider's exclusive report that defender Julius James has been acquired from Houston, apparently for a draft pick. [UPDATE: a third-rounder in 2012] He will join United in Toronto and likely be eligible for Saturday afternoon's match at BMO Field (4 p.m., Comcast SportsNet, Telefutura). James is a needed defensive option as United prepares for 10 matches in 31 days.

"I don't think he has reached his potential, so we are excited to get him in and add some defensive depth," Coach Tom Soehn said. "Initially, our plan is that he will cover for us in the middle and on the flank if we need him."

More later.....
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:31:59 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Julius to join Avery at DC United.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 09:09:04 AM »
is julius a good player too many transfers and loan and less start time.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 09:13:50 AM »

If he so good why is he always on the move?

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 09:15:55 AM »
Like The man looking to break Cornell Glen MLS record

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 09:27:28 AM »
What's the MLS transfer policy during the season? Don't they have a open and close period for transfers like the european leagues? If not then this league is much more stupid than I thought.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 09:28:11 AM »
Hopefully Latas will take notice of him now... since you could see a lot of Dc games on Fox soccer channel.
Anybody have Latas address, since I go be at the home games ah go record JJ and send it to Latas... :beermug:

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 09:34:15 AM »
hope julius cud settle at one team...best of luck
Back in Trini...

Offline #8

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 09:55:05 AM »
What's the MLS transfer policy during the season? Don't they have a open and close period for transfers like the european leagues? If not then this league is much more stupid than I thought.

Transfer window closes tomorrow that said there is no real player representation so as a  mls(Major League Slave) player you can be on one roster today and on another the following day..only way around it is having a big resume/assured contract as the likes of Juan Pablo Angel, David Beckham etc. On the positive side DC are still in concacaf champions league so he may see more/regular football(depending on how far they make it) and DC's coach has had his eye on JJ/tried to acquire his services for a while now and asked for him specifically.

See Julius Live later on tonight/tomorrow as he speaks on his new move and more http://www.marcus-marshall.com/vid_01.html

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 10:50:28 AM »

that how the mls is the trade trade trade thing
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 04:18:35 PM »
He 10x better than Abu Bakr and he is 25...Latapy probably doesnt know he exists... Who job is it to let Latapy know we have a 25 year old CB in MLS?

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Julius and Avery together
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 05:39:39 AM »
I saw the DC United game last night. Julius and Avery played on the left of defence. Julius has some pace tracking back and shield defenders well. Maybe this combo is just what the doctor ordered for Honduras.
 The back four can look like this. Jlloyd Samuel/ lawrence/ James/ Avery.
 Or Carlos/ Lloyd Samuel/ James/ avery. Avery needs to run up the line a little more-maybe he was playing to instructions

Offline judge101

• Full Warrior
  • If it is to be, then it is up to me
    • View Profile
Re: Julius and Avery together
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 07:26:40 AM »
and where they will put bakr buy i think lawrence could rest a bit
wise men talke because they have something to say,fools talk because they have to say something

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Julius and Avery together
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 07:55:41 AM »
What was the final score in that game ??

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 08:41:30 AM »
James getting better reviews than Avery. The fans seem impressed with him so far.

Offline noize

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 08:42:52 AM »
Score was 3-1 ...DC loss

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 08:53:58 AM »

that how the mls is the trade trade trade thing

Dat is ass talk fella.  No team in American sports does trade a very promising first round pick unless they gettin a quality veteran and or picks with that player.  Add, most teams give a bright young prospect more than a year to blossom.  So if he is as good as people here make him out to be he wouln't be on the move so much and certainly wouldn't be loaned out to a lower division.  I not saying he's no good or wont be in the future but the way people hollering for him you'd swear he is a Maldini clone. 

JJ will become better but he has moments of distraction on the field and does do crap at times.  He is strong, fast and very good in the air but he isn't all there yet (but he seems eager to learn which is great).  Is he better than Duff currently? IMO yeah, but Duff gettin the exposure to the international scene in big games that count.  JJ hasn't gotten that yet and unless the coach have great confidence in him and will encourage him when he makes miscues he is better off not playing on the NT (right now).  Latas don't seem to have him on the radar, so I would hate for him to come (make a mistake or two) and be a one off.  Give him time people, he will not be ignored forever.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:56:14 AM by Flickin Killa a/k/a Mad Scorpion »

Offline noize

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 09:13:47 AM »
If anybody wants to see the game again to make yuh own judgement...it's available here http://forum.rojadirecta.com/viewtopic.php?t=73240  ::) for download in english or here in spanish online stream http://www.justin.tv/clip/bb4d38b0b26c5685
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:16:10 AM by noize »

Online Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 09:20:11 AM »
JJ will become better but he has moments of distraction on the field and does do crap at times. 

You could say this about every single one of our current defenders.

He is strong, fast and very good in the air but he isn't all there yet (but he seems eager to learn which is great). 

None of our defenders strikes me as being fast.

He playin in MLS, he's a decent defender, he is good enough to make our team.
Right now it look like JJ have to do more than others to prove himself.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
JJ will become better but he has moments of distraction on the field and does do crap at times. 

He is strong, fast and very good in the air but he isn't all there yet (but he seems eager to learn which is great). 

No question all of our defenders does do shit at times, but since he not on Latas radar is better he eh come fuh one match and never heard of again.  If Latas excluding men who score since he takeover and seem to play their position better that the 1st choices, what you think will happen if JJ don't do so well?

Online Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 09:35:09 AM »

No question all of our defenders does do shit at times, but since he not on Latas radar is better he eh come fuh one match and never heard of again.  If Latas excluding men who score since he takeover and seem to play their position better that the 1st choices, what you think will happen if JJ don't do so well?

Yeh you're right, there's no telling what Latas will do with JJ.
Latas need to wake up from that stupor he in.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 10:33:17 AM »
Dat is ass talk fella.  No team in American sports does trade a very promising first round pick unless they gettin a quality veteran and or picks with that player.  Add, most teams give a bright young prospect more than a year to blossom.  So if he is as good as people here make him out to be he wouln't be on the move so much and certainly wouldn't be loaned out to a lower division.  I not saying he's no good or wont be in the future but the way people hollering for him you'd swear he is a Maldini clone. 

JJ will become better but he has moments of distraction on the field and does do crap at times.  He is strong, fast and very good in the air but he isn't all there yet (but he seems eager to learn which is great).  Is he better than Duff currently? IMO yeah, but Duff gettin the exposure to the international scene in big games that count.  JJ hasn't gotten that yet and unless the coach have great confidence in him and will encourage him when he makes miscues he is better off not playing on the NT (right now).  Latas don't seem to have him on the radar, so I would hate for him to come (make a mistake or two) and be a one off.  Give him time people, he will not be ignored forever.

Agree and disagree.

Me ent no expert but from what I see and what I read JJ still makes some pretty naive mistakes, not the least of which being inopportune fouling and getting caught ball-watching at times on crosses into the box.  So on his lack of readiness we'll agree.

However I'm not sure your point on the MLS "trade trade" thing being "ass talk" is correct.  MLS teams have a history of trading even productive players, in part because many teams are stuck in a win now mode.  In the case of Houston they had more seasoned defenders such as Cochrane, Cameron and Boswell, so given the opportunity to get a high draft pick (look at where DC stood at the time of trade... and where they still stand now) to them was a good deal.

Before that he was traded from Toronto to Houston for Dwayne DeRosario.  So in response to your statement that "No team in American sports does trade a very promising first round pick unless they gettin a quality veteran and or picks with that player."  Here we see that he was traded for a proven veteran, who to this day continues to pay dividends (TFC clearly got the better of that trade)... and then traded a second time for what will be a high draft pick.  MLS doesn't have enough rounds for teams to stockpile and trade multiple draft picks, so the fact that he was traded for only one pick isn't necessarily a knock on his value, just a reflection of current marketplace realities.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:35:00 AM by Bake n Shark »

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 12:08:52 PM »
Agree and disagree.

Me ent no expert but from what I see and what I read JJ still makes some pretty naive mistakes, not the least of which being inopportune fouling and getting caught ball-watching at times on crosses into the box.  So on his lack of readiness we'll agree.

However I'm not sure your point on the MLS "trade trade" thing being "ass talk" is correct.  MLS teams have a history of trading even productive players, in part because many teams are stuck in a win now mode.  In the case of Houston they had more seasoned defenders such as Cochrane, Cameron and Boswell, so given the opportunity to get a high draft pick (look at where DC stood at the time of trade... and where they still stand now) to them was a good deal.

Before that he was traded from Toronto to Houston for Dwayne DeRosario.  So in response to your statement that "No team in American sports does trade a very promising first round pick unless they gettin a quality veteran and or picks with that player."  Here we see that he was traded for a proven veteran, who to this day continues to pay dividends (TFC clearly got the better of that trade)... and then traded a second time for what will be a high draft pick.  MLS doesn't have enough rounds for teams to stockpile and trade multiple draft picks, so the fact that he was traded for only one pick isn't necessarily a knock on his value, just a reflection of current marketplace realities.

Cochrane have 1 Start JJ had 5.  Don't know if he is or was injured but JJ was of more valuable during the current campaign that Cochrane for sure.  I understand why they trade and how their system works but I still say he can't be as good as advertised.  Either that or his coaches just didn't see the potential to be much better.  Toronto made a good trade but at least they kept him for a year.  Houston Traded for him, then loaned him, then called him back, then traded him.  They couldn't possibly see much value in him and simply elected to make what seem like a smart trade by getting that pick for him.  Not sure of DC's needs but I sure hope he gets an opportunity and can settle.  From all indications he seem like ah humble yute so I wish him luck.  If he had CG kinda (past) attitude in the locker room then it would be easy to understand.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 01:51:12 PM »
Eh killa , yuh talking outa timin! the bottom line is latas doh know what the fack he doing, he talking bout bleeding players in the heat of the hex when we need points, what kinda sh!t is that ??!!

we had ah whole 15 months of that horse sh!t with the columbian, that's why he's gone , BC we doh have no mo time tuh bleed shyte, now it's time for ah steady core of players, and so far i only seeing ah bunch ah laboureres every time ah game comes around.

now i watch julius james last night together with avery, seemed like they played in a horizontal defensive line with avery playing deep on the left side going forward and over lapping quite often with james as cover.

james played in central defence , but moreso cover for the fullbacks, and mind you DC woulda concede more goal had it not been for his contributions, even the broadcasters were commenting on his pace and sense of positioning.that boy have a lot of pace which is laking right now in our defence.

i doh know what you talking bout when yuh said give him time he not ready yet!! so he not ready and abu bakar is ?? i watch bakar and lawrence, and tuh tell yuh the truth, julius is far better than the both of them for the little i see.

latapy's rain will be soon over if he continues with this dotish trend! if he knows what's good for him then he would settle on ah solid core of players and stop with the experimentation, BC yuh doh see cappello and dunga bringing in ah new face every match, and they have the talent pool tuh do so.

the man blantantly ignoring damn good players and using ah set ah forkin sh!t snakes, and talking bout fellas have tuh pick theyself and all kinda nanyh@le talk!

so when did clyde leon pick himself?? when did spann, since he does only play once in ah blue, and when did lawrence pick himself since he doh have ah club, him and his palywal dwight  ssstttuueeepppsss!! the bottom line!! latas gone mad son!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:59:18 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 12:29:59 PM »
DC making James feel welcome.
By: Charles Boehm (MLSnet.com).

Well-traveled Trinidadian defender relishing fresh start at United

WASHINGTON -- In the lead-up to D.C. United's home match against the Los Angeles Galaxy last week, someone asked Julius James about the memories of his professional debut, a May 31, 2008 contest against the Galaxy that saw James score the game-winning goal for his team at the time, Toronto FC.

"That was ages ago, seems like," sighed the young Trinidadian with a smile.

James has lived a fairly nomadic existence since that promising start to his pro career, having been traded twice in the ensuing 15 months largely due to factors beyond his control.

Drafted by TFC with the ninth overall selection of the 2008 SuperDraft, the former University of Connecticut standout was seen as one of the more gifted defenders in that year's crop and he logged 899 minutes for the Reds as a rookie. But when Toronto's long-standing desire to bring Canadian international Dwayne De Rosario back to play for his hometown club finally edged towards fruition in the offseason, James became a makeweight in the trade that brought "DeRo" north from Houston.

Despite Dynamo's enviable array of backline options, James was working his way into significant playing time when he was suddenly told that he'd been shipped to D.C. United in exchange for a 2012 draft pick on August 14. He didn't even get to set eyes on his new home city before making his first United appearance, as he flew directly from Texas to Toronto for a league match with TFC the following day.

The levelheaded 25-year-old admits to being weary of the upheaval, but recognizes it as part and parcel of his profession.

"This is MLS, you know? You get thrown around, you have to leave the next day and pack up -- thank God I don't have a wife and kids, I'd have to pack up my whole house and everything," said James last week. "It could be a hit to my confidence -- I could either pack it in and feel low in confidence, or just go out and express myself and be passionate about the sport, and just think about football."

James would earn his first start for the Black-and-Red on the second leg of that same road trip, playing 90 minutes at center back in a CONCACAF Champions League match against CD Marathon in San Pedro Sula, Honduras.

It was a difficult situation for the young defender: United coach Tom Soehn elected to re-arrange his side into a more conservative formation given the draining travel and hostile environment, and had just one brief training session to do so. But the D.C. boss gave his new arrival a welcome vote of confidence on the eve of the match.

"He made me feel really comfortable," said James. "Before my first game in Honduras, he came to me and was like, 'Julius, I know you've been to other teams and this is a fresh start. You go out there and be vocal, show us what you can do.' ... They believe in me and that feels really good."

The 3-1 loss to Marathon was a bitter pill for United, although their four-man back line performed surprisingly well as a unit, especially considering that James and right back David Habarugira were newcomers to the first XI. Avery John was also a member of the D.C. defense that evening and the well-traveled left back saw plenty of promise in James' display.

"He still has a lot to learn -- you can still get a lot from him," said John of his younger countryman. The two have also trained together on the Trinidad and Tobago national team.

"I'm expecting to see a lot from Julius. This is his third team in two years and he really needs to settle down. I hope the opportunity comes for him where he can just be with one team and play regularly, constantly. It will help him developing and I think it would be a great benefit for the team."

James must battle for playing time in United's 3-5-2 system, where the back line spots typically feature incumbents Bryan Namoff and Marc Burch along with talented Canadian international Dejan Jakovic. The club's intense international schedule has already required squad rotation, however, and Soehn's well-established desire for competition on the training ground should open doors if he can maintain a high level of play.

Of course, there's also the pressing matter of D.C.'s indifferent string of results this summer. Changes will be inevitable if the team doesn't arrest its recent winless slump.

"I know I'll become a better player here. I just would very much welcome the opportunity to play," said James. "I like the pressure situations, and right now the team is under a lot of pressure, so we're just all trying to stick together and come out with some results."

Julius James made five starts for the Houston Dynamo before joining D.C. United. (R. Mar/Getty)

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 02:52:44 PM »
Like that bald spot in de from of he head.

Niceness. Do yuh ting James, do yuh ting
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 03:19:49 PM »

Leh we increase de comess quotient a bit......ent dat does happen to stern?  :-X
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 03:40:15 PM »

Leh we increase de comess quotient a bit......ent dat does happen to stern?  :-X

oh f**k man bourbon, yuh had to do dat eh?!! :rotfl:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 04:34:21 PM »
3 teams in 2 years.

For an average player....worrying trend.

Work hard, listen to yuh coaches, practice discipline in all areas, believe in yuhself and de ress will take care of itself.

Good luck Julius.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »
can a player get a no trade clause in his contract in the MLS?
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 04:45:29 PM »
can a player get a no trade clause in his contract in the MLS?

Teams don't trade players.

MLS does.

I think
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

1]; } ?>