March 29, 2024, 06:28:59 AM

Author Topic: Jones still has lot to prove to Bruce  (Read 6401 times)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jones still has lot to prove to Bruce
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2009, 09:18:37 AM »
Jones irked by speculation

Black Cats ace happy at Sunderland
Sky Sports

Kenwyne Jones has admitted his frustration at on-going speculation over his long-term Sunderland future.

Fresh question marks have been raised over Jones' future with Darren Bent due to join in a record-breaking deal.

The striker is expected to have a medical with the Stadium of Light outfit on Wednesday after Spurs wrapped up Peter Crouch's signature.

Bent's impending arrival has coincided with talk that Jones could leave, with Spurs previously being interested in his services.

Committed
However, the 24-year-old insists he is fully committed to the four-year contract he signed earlier this year.

"If I wasn't committed to Sunderland I don't think I would have just been away on pre-season for 10 or 11 days," said Jones.

"I signed a four-year contract in January and I'm committed to staying for that length of time, maybe more - you never know.

"I do get sick and tired of constantly hearing about this team and that team and me."

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009, 09:59:03 AM »
But Kenwyne is scoring goals. There's nothing to prove. You're confusing your national team frustration with his club performance.

I swear I was wondering if is only me seeing how retarded these arguments are about whether KJ good or not compared to who's been sought.  To this point they have not mentioned a single striker that scored more than 1 or maybe 2 goals more than KJ last season when he came of injury with the season in progress.  Man watchin what he do in we national team and I can admit he eh do heself no favors there, but club ball the man has shown himself to be a good striker.  Look at the list of strikers below and their output last season.  Some on the list are easily better players than KJ without question, but yet none have scored more than 2 goals extra.  Could it be that because he hasn't met our overzealous expectations of him as a national team player that we so blinded and unable to see his value?  Bet if yuh look and see who these players scored against you'd realize that KJ manage to score on the best teams Sunderland had to compete with while many on that short list hardly scored against top competition.

Rooney 12
Bent 12
Agbonlahor 11
Van Persie 11
Defoe 11
Jone 10
Adebayor 10
Berbatov 9

KJ dan just know that some of us have sense and see things for what they are.  We behind yuh (ah kno yuh does browse lol) so go out and do yuh thing!!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:01:55 AM by Flickin Killa a/k/a Mad Scorpion »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 10:01:24 AM »
bent and jones to start. campbell 2nd rate to them.

btw, whoever want sunderland 08/09 umbro kits, they on sale for $19.99 US with free shipping. i eh like them that much but for the price...

check this link - http://digg.com/soccer/Umbro_Kits_for_19_99_and_24_99_World_Soccer_Shop

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 11:28:11 AM »
Sky News thing is just a shortened version of ALS (A Love Supreme - Sunderland Fanzine) quotes.

The full version is:-

Kenwyne Jones has reiterated that he’s determined to stay at Sunderland, despite rumours suggesting otherwise. It’s all getting a bit boring really. However, now that Spurs have signed Peter Crouch hopefully the gossip will stop.

Jones said: “If I wasn’t committed to Sunderland I don’t think I would have just been away on a pre-season trip for 10 or 11 days. I signed a four-year contract in January and I’m committed to staying here for that length of time, maybe more, you never know. I wouldn’t have signed that contract if I was looking to leave would I?

I do get sick and tired of constantly hearing about this team and that team and me. I get tired of being told I’m leaving, it seems like it is every day sometimes. But that’s life, it’s paper talk, or whatever else you want to call it and I just ignore it. I’m not going anywhere. Whoever is to come in will come in regardless. The more bodies and talent we have, it’s only going to be good news for the team as a whole. I’ll have a new strike partner, but it isn’t up to me who that person is. I’ll find out when everybody else does.”

end

I don't know why he is that surprised by speculation given the Crouch offer and what he said a couple of days before the last game against Chelsea last season.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 12:23:11 PM »
I’ll have a new strike partner, but it isn’t up to me who that person is.

He very assumptious. How he know he getting a strike partner and not a replacement?

Campbell and Bent to start. Let Jones start to show his potential now and stop believing the hype.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009, 12:53:25 PM »

He very assumptious. How he know he getting a strike partner and not a replacement?

Campbell and Bent to start. Let Jones start to show his potential now and stop believing the hype.

based on f#ckin what jedd?!!  De way allyuh does talk down KJ yuh would swear is Eto'o and Ibra Sunderland land oui!!  Wha he supposed to say, we'll have to wait and see who coach elects to start?  He's the strarter and been that, once he start saying anything else it come like he already conceeding his position.  He damn right to say wha he say, cause until Bruce tell him different he is the only starting striker

truetrini

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2009, 01:01:07 PM »

As a Trinity old boy, I need yuh to explain what is assumptious? 

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »

Eh Eh that's you jackmanday! long time.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2009, 01:25:48 PM »

Is when you end up looking like an ass by being presumptuous  :devil:

:beermug:

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2009, 01:31:01 PM »

based on f#ckin what jedd?!!  De way allyuh does talk down KJ yuh would swear is Eto'o and Ibra Sunderland land oui!!  Wha he supposed to say, we'll have to wait and see who coach elects to start?  He's the strarter and been that, once he start saying anything else it come like he already conceeding his position.  He damn right to say wha he say, cause until Bruce tell him different he is the only starting striker

Sorry there Killa, I meant it in a positive way. I am of the impression, mistaken or not, that Kenwyne figure he reach and he is number 1. That is a good attitude to have in the argument u put forward as strikers need confidence in their ability, but I just want him to prove it with his feet.

If he approach this situation as two new men coming in to take his place, he will have to score the goals to put them in their place which is good news for us (and sunderland).

However, if he approach it as "I am top dog, they here to partner me" he have nothing to prove and thus no motivation to pick up on whatever it is he doing now. Kenwyne is much better than he showing us currently and if you are a true fan of him, u must recognise that.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2009, 02:43:30 PM »

Sorry there Killa, I meant it in a positive way. I am of the impression, mistaken or not, that Kenwyne figure he reach and he is number 1. That is a good attitude to have in the argument u put forward as strikers need confidence in their ability, but I just want him to prove it with his feet.

If he approach this situation as two new men coming in to take his place, he will have to score the goals to put them in their place which is good news for us (and sunderland).

However, if he approach it as "I am top dog, they here to partner me" he have nothing to prove and thus no motivation to pick up on whatever it is he doing now. Kenwyne is much better than he showing us currently and if you are a true fan of him, u must recognise that.

No argument on that sentiment.  However I want to see him have an injury free season and see what he does.  In his limited duty and without the benefit of preseason tuneup, he scored just as many goals as much higher profiled players (give or take 1/2 goals).  So I am confident that he will rise to his potential.  I know Kev is a diehard so I feel it have some tinge of emotion in his indifference to KJ staying or being shipped off, but for me I expecting to see him step up this season and prove to everyone why he is worthy of the attention that some defenders and managers give him.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2009, 04:09:40 PM »

No argument on that sentiment.  However I want to see him have an injury free season and see what he does.  In his limited duty and without the benefit of preseason tuneup, he scored just as many goals as much higher profiled players (give or take 1/2 goals).  So I am confident that he will rise to his potential.  I know Kev is a diehard so I feel it have some tinge of emotion in his indifference to KJ staying or being shipped off, but for me I expecting to see him step up this season and prove to everyone why he is worthy of the attention that some defenders and managers give him.

Not emotion more like boredom tbh just got fed up of telling how I saw it and having differing views from those with Rose Tinted T & T glasses, which seem to have come off very quickly with just a couple of indifferent national appearances. 

The truth is we have not seen Kenwyne for a season and a third, he never really showed the last 3rd of the season in his 1st year.  A large part of last year was down to injury, but even towards the end of the season he just looked like he couldn't be arsed.  ( I think if you check the Sunderland Chelsea thread even one of your own made the same observation when he attended the match).

Fans on here are no different to the smb very fickle, hype players to death and very quick to hang the same players.  Kenwyne has enourmous potential but the truth is I think it will be left unfilled because its up to himself to fulfil it.  Kenwyne is a great athlete when he wants to be, he is unplayable when he wants to be, the question is does he want to be like that often enough to warrant a big money move to a top 4 club, at the minute its highly debatable.

I know nothing of Campbell haven't really seen him, but he is an U21 international and 3/4 years Kenwyne's junior so we will have to wait to see if he can fulfil his potential. 

If Kenwyne goes it would be with my thanks as without a doubt we wouldn't be in the premiership without him, if he stays and finds his form ala 1st season I will be equally happy.  As I have said before I am done with the Kenwyne arguments in my eyes he is what he is, what he could be or some others opinions of what he is, is a totally different ballgame.

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Bruce thrilled by the new challenge ahead
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2009, 04:05:57 AM »

Bruce thrilled by the new challenge ahead

9:05am Saturday 15th August 2009

Photograph of the Author By Paul Fraser »

FOURTEEN years after feeling new season nerves of expectation as a Manchester United player for the last time, Steve Bruce senses a similar excitement in the air ahead of his first campaign as Sunderland boss.

Despite managerial spells in charge of Sheffield United, Huddersfield Town, Wigan, Crystal Palace and Birmingham City, this time already feels different for Bruce – and he is the first to admit it.

When Sunderland open their Premier League campaign under the 48-year-old at Bolton this afternoon, it will represent the start of an examination of his credentials after a summer of spending.

In acquiring five new players since his installation in June, Bruce has invested an initial £24.5m, which could rise, depending on add-ons, to £40m.

And with an intention to sign at least one, probably two, new defenders before the end of the month, Bruce’s spending in his first few months is likely to eclipse what Roy Keane paid out during his two summers as a topflight boss. :o

Having been given substantial financial backing from the club’s American owner Ellis Short, who has texted his manager to say “congratulations”

after deals have been sealed, Bruce can’t wait for the campaign to start.

“The last time I felt this way before the start of the season was when I was a player. It was when I was at Man U and we had to go out and win the league. There was always a tingle,” said Bruce.

“I’ve just been told that there’s 5,500 supporters going to Bolton. That’s one of the reasons why I came here. That explains a lot.

“When you think about the recession, people being on holiday, being out of work, and we’re taking that amount of people away with us.

“It shows the expectation.

Now I just have to put a team together.

“But I genuinely haven’t been as excited about anything for a long, long time.

“I have never spent so much money in management.

“It shows the intention of where the owner wants to take us and what he wants to achieve.

“It’s there for everybody to see what I’ve tried to do.

“I’ve tried to give us a bit of strength through the middle of the park, through the spine.

“It’s cost a few quid, but I do believe we’ve got decent value for money.”

Of his five signings, Lee Cattermole and Darren Bent are certain to start, with Fraizer Campbell and Lorik Cana also in with a chance of making their Premier League debuts for the club.

Bruce, unlikely to call on centre-back Paulo Da Silva, who only arrived in the country yesterday after having his visa stamped, has been weighing up whether to play with one or two strikers at the Reebok Stadium.

And he will not make up his mind until later this morning, when he has carried out further assessments on Kenwyne Jones.

Jones, along with Carlos Edwards, only returned from international duty yesterday lunchtime and Bruce is not convinced the Trinidad and Tobago international will be fresh after playing 90 minutes against El Salvador on Wednesday.

“The biggest thing in my mind at the moment is how is Kenwyne Jones,” said Bruce.

“No matter whether they have been on holiday to the West Indies, never mind played a game, you have to assess what state they’re in,” said Bruce, knowing Cana played 45 minutes in Albania’s 6-1 win over Cyprus in midweek.

“I’m sure he’ll want to play but I’ll have to assess it. Kenwyne played the 90 minutes, that’s why I didn’t play him at Hearts last week. I knew that.”

Ideally Bruce would not have had such distractions, but it is with situations like that in mind that he wants to formulate a squad of 23 players which he can dip in and out of without worry.

And that is why he will be looking to move numerous players on before the end of the month, with Anthony Stokes to Hibernian and Daryl Murphy to Ipswich the deals most likely to happen.

“It’s inevitable there will be players going out, because it wouldn’t be fair to them to keep them here,” he said. “There will be more going out than coming in.”

One player Bruce is not considering offloading is Grant Leadbitter. Leadbitter, who was the subject of an offer from Bruce last January when he was at Wigan, had been linked with a move following the arrivals of Cattermole and Cana.

Bruce said: “I was very close to signing Grant. I’m a big admirer of his and he won’t be going anywhere. He is not for sale.”

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/sunderland/4548017.Bruce_thrilled_by_the_new_challenge_ahead/
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 04:12:00 AM by takenoprisoners »

1]; } ?>