April 28, 2024, 04:00:02 PM

Author Topic: Does a player have to score to be effective?  (Read 4277 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Does a player have to score to be effective?
« on: August 15, 2009, 01:43:16 PM »
As the football gurus continue to debate the merits of which players  ought to be considered for selection on the national  team, it begs the question as to what role and what are the intangibles of each player.

Looking at  players performance and selection today in the EPL, I ask the question : if KJ could play all 90 minutes, is there a role that he is performing other than scoring that is valuable to the team's success?

Potentially , every player ought to be a 'scoring threat' some are more so given their position. However, judging by most fans reaction, why is it that we tend to place  such blame and so much credence on certain players?

In looking out for success of our team, I  think a shift in perspective ought to happen  , in that we  develop more of a team concept for success rather than 'putting all our eggs in one basket' depending /relying too much on the 'big boys' to deliver. All players who step on that field should be a SCORING THREAT! IMHO

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Does a player have to score to be effective?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »
No. Clayton Ince is quite effective and hasnt scored a lick in his last 2 games.  :devil: :devil: :devil:
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 02:15:55 PM »
I don't think a player has to score to be effective but in answer to why credence is placed on certain players it's because everybody has favourites,when they look at a game it's all about those players,others are blamed for all the problems the team has and you will always find these players always have good games,take for instance T&T loose a game and peeps here rate it the best game we played in a long time we come now and win a game with a bunch of locals (non favourites)got 3 pts and peeps gone nuts by the amount of shyt the team played,i like what Latas is doing,as far as i'm concerned SA is over we are preparing for 2014.  

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 02:21:02 PM »
I don't think a player has to score to be effective but in answer to why credence is placed on certain players it's because everybody has favourites,when they look at a game it's all about those players,others are blamed for all the problems the team has and you will always find these players always have good games,take for instance T&T loose a game and peeps here rate it the best game we played in a long time we come now and win a game with a bunch of locals (non favourites)got 3 pts and peeps gone nuts by the amount of shyt the team played,i like what Latas is doing,as far as i'm concerned SA is over we are preparing for 2014.  

He eh go tell yuh that doh ... 

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 02:22:07 PM »
As the football gurus continue to debate the merits of which players  ought to be considered for selection on the national  team, it begs the question as to what role and what are the intangibles of each player.

Looking at  players performance and selection today in the EPL, I ask the question : if KJ could play all 90 minutes, is there a role that he is performing other than scoring that is valuable to the team's success?

Potentially , every player ought to be a 'scoring threat' some are more so given their position. However, judging by most fans reaction, why is it that we tend to place  such blame and so much credence on certain players?

In looking out for success of our team, I  think a shift in perspective ought to happen  , in that we  develop more of a team concept for success rather than 'putting all our eggs in one basket' depending /relying too much on the 'big boys' to deliver. All players who step on that field should be a SCORING THREAT! IMHO

KJ hadda score ... what else is he effective at doing?  ... Can of worms opened.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 03:12:15 PM »
Title of the thread should be changed to "Does a striker have to score to be effective?" as it seems to be strikers yuh focusing on!

If that is the case then the answer is a resounding yes as that is a striker’s job.

It’s like asking “Does a defender need to mark strikers out the game to be effect?”  Yes because that's their job!

It’s like asking “Does a central midfielder have to control the pace of the game and distribute balls to the forwards (strikers) so that they can take as many shots on goal as possible?” The answer to that is of course yes!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 03:14:02 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 03:29:28 PM »
If a striker is not scoring goals then he's not performing his role as a striker.

If he's still adding alot of value without scoring goals, then maybe he ought to be played in a different position from which he can still contribute in a non-scoring way. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 06:34:11 PM »
Socapro , yuh know what we really need in this TNT team? we need ah frank lampard and ah micheal essien!

i like noel hyland and tinto of all the midfielders, i think carlos should remain in the right back position and could be the overlapping option we need in the defensive position, plus he has great recovery speed if caught out of position unlike spann.   
                                       carlos    julius  sancho/lwarence   JLLoyd 

hyland
i could see ah midfield like this,    tinto                       noel         roberts   
                                                           jones 

glenn
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 07:30:18 PM »
I already see where this thread going...

the thread should be called, 'KJ not scoring but he starting and playing 90 mins'

Yes a striker's job is to score goals .... KJ is not the type of striker to take on 4 defenders but he puts pressure on opposing defenders by his sheer physicality. KJ  can be used to compliment a strike partner who has a different set of skills.

The problem here is that this thread, just by the subject matter,  overlooks the role of the midfield ..... to a large degree, a striker can only be effective if the midfield is effective. ...So let the ole talk continue.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 07:48:43 PM »

the thread should be called, 'KJ not scoring but he starting and playing 90 mins'

Yes a striker's job is to score goals .... KJ is not the type of striker to take on 4 defenders but he puts pressure on opposing defenders by his sheer physicality. KJ  can be used to compliment a strike partner who has a different set of skills.

The problem here is that this thread, just by the subject matter,  overlooks the role of the midfield ..... to a large degree, a striker can only be effective if the midfield is effective. ...So let the ole talk continue.
KJ is ah forkin weakling, i notice in every game we play, them little spanish man does be bouncing KJ off the ball easy easy, i saw it in bago, in azteca and against El salvador.

to me he big for nothing.  even on the SMB some ppl has called him on the fact that for ah big imposing striker he gets pushed around and bumped off the ball too easy. to me stern is far more of ah physically imposing figur than KJ.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 08:16:41 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 07:59:01 PM »

KJ is ah forkin weakling, i notice in every game we play, them little spanish man does be bouncing KJ off the ball easy easy, i saw it in bago, in azteca and against El salvador.

to me he big for nothing.  even on the SMB some ppl has called him on the fact that, for ah big imposing striker he gets pushed around and bumped off the ball too easy. to me stern is far more of ah physically imposing figur than KJ.

ok

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 08:17:41 PM »

to me he big for nothing.  even on the SMB some ppl has called him on the fact that, for ah big imposing striker he gets pushed around and bumped off the ball too easy. to me stern is far more of ah physically imposing figur than KJ.

ok
Gyul attitude.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 10:00:02 PM »
Does a striker have to score to be effective? I guess it depends on how you define striker - but I don't think so. You could not score but be effective in creating goals for your strike partner. Or you could be good at holding up the ball to keep possession and bring other teammates into the attack. You expect that a striker would score sometimes but at the same time I don't think a striker who doesn't score as often is any less effective (than a more prolific striker) if he's performing another primary role (besides scoring) that is ultimately helping his team to win. And I think in modern football, especially, strikers have to be more all round and be more than goal scorers. Would you say that Arsenal's strikers were ineffective today because neither v.Persie, Arshavin nor Bendtner scored?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:55:52 PM by dwn »

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 10:16:33 PM »
I want all the peeps who complaining about KJ to watch the game again and see the amout of space he create for Glen.  Now not to completely free him from stick, I do feel like he could work a little bit harder in pressuring defenders when they have the ball.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 12:11:52 AM »

ok
Gyul attitude.

ok.....man

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 01:13:53 AM »
big thread....this forum lives on this topic..sadly
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 04:45:33 AM »

ok
Gyul attitude.

ok.....man
No sweat girl friend.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 05:09:26 AM »
All yuh tell meh, Why Tinto did not play?

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 05:34:42 AM »
All yuh tell meh, Why Tinto did not play?
Breds , i believe russell latapy was the best players that ever came out of our twin island republic AFTER  dwight the smiling assasin yorke!! who happen's to be the best footballer ever in the caribbean up till now! 

maybe russell is not ah good judge of natruel talent! i wish i had an answer for yuh deeks but i to am confused as all scmekle tuh tell yuh the truth.

it could be that tinto was not needed for this match MAYBE BC they was saving him for honduras, and they didn't want him to be scouted.

football just like basket ball, is ah very intricate game , and some times ah coach does save his secret weapons for the most crucial moments. JMT, i could be well wrong!

i expect tuh see him back in action on the 5th and carlos back in the right wing defensive position. i also expect tuh see sancho and  julius, roberts and jaggy so far is long shots, never the less, real assets to the team if latas only knew!

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 06:27:02 AM »
In looking out for success of our team, I  think a shift in perspective ought to happen  , in that we  develop more of a team concept
Lots of people overlook this. Doh appreciate that what happening off the ball carries equal importance. If you can't individually make magic, dey don't appreciate what you contribute to other teammates' success. Or consider how other teammates could contribute to yours.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 07:24:48 AM »
it could be that tinto was not needed for this match MAYBE BC they was saving him for honduras, and they didn't want him to be scouted.

The coudn't have scouted him from the previous two matches he played in the Hex  ???

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 07:35:51 AM »
as jus curious. how "effective" was rooney last year? what if i am creating most of the goals then am i not efefective? Its not as black and white as some of us want 2 paint it. you dont have to score to be effective, once yuh team winning.
when your team stops winning however ,every1 pulls out their magnifying glass.
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 08:24:09 AM »
look at zamora last season. the man hardly score but he continues to be a starter for fulham (who qualified for uefa cup). obviously the fulham coach thinks he's effective.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 09:04:05 AM »
Carlos Valderama was one of the most effective players for Colombia, but never a scorer. His creativity brought Colombia's football to another level. Playmaker extraordinaire
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 09:25:22 AM »
Have to ask this question, since it relates a bit.

When does a manager make the call to pull a striker off who's had several chances that he didn't put away?

I was watching Spurs play that small team yesterday and Keane was on the end of a number of chances that he should/could have put into the onion bag (I miss tommy smith). He was finally replaced, but I have to ask... if a player is getting the looks, but not finishing do you pull him out and risk sending in another player who may not get those same chances?

Do you give that player an extended chance or do you do the norm and pull him off?

Wait.. this sounds like Stern?

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 09:27:07 AM »
Title of the thread should be changed to "Does a striker have to score to be effective?" as it seems to be strikers yuh focusing on!

If that is the case then the answer is a resounding yes as that is a striker’s job.

It’s like asking “Does a defender need to mark strikers out the game to be effect?”  Yes because that's their job!

It’s like asking “Does a central midfielder have to control the pace of the game and distribute balls to the forwards (strikers) so that they can take as many shots on goal as possible?” The answer to that is of course yes!

Funny dis is your outlook yet yuh jumpin up an dong fuh f#ckin Zamora to come to TnT.  Allyuh eh bet allyuh is hypocrites nah!!!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 11:40:23 AM »
NO

ya ever see ah Keeper play :devil:

sorry in advance :D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 07:26:12 PM »
see iniesta and xavi...............
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 09:42:06 PM »

Funny dis is your outlook yet yuh jumpin up an dong fuh f#ckin Zamora to come to TnT.  Allyuh eh bet allyuh is hypocrites nah!!!

Just go back and read the numerous posts I made on the topic and use your brain cells for a few minutes nah man?!

I am not going to repeat myself on that topic again as I already write you off as real slow, a lost cause or an attention seeking time waster!  8)

De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 11:37:29 PM »
 if he is a forward...yea oui!!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

1]; } ?>