April 23, 2024, 07:19:06 PM

Author Topic: Respect the Man  (Read 5076 times)

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Respect the Man
« on: August 16, 2009, 07:59:20 AM »
I decided to copy this onto a new topic.

I have been looking on with great interest as to the motivation of some people on the Athletics forum for a couple years and I'm flabagasted as to the reasoning (for some of you) to fight a point with AB as to your belief on the sport. Ato has and for a good part of his life committed himself to this sport professionally and have raced with the best of his era in Athletics for something like 10yrs or more. It baffles me as to what right each of you have as to continually fight and bicker with Ato over his sentiments or knowledgable insight into the sport. We should all be honoured that this guy takes the time to answer us here and educate(not all) some of us.

He sees the sport differently to most of us here as he sees the bigger picture, we see the narrow view(only Trinidad and Tobago's athletes). Please let's give him the respect that is deserved, if only for the fact that he has lifted the T&T flag for many a year on the world stage. Lets remember the joy this son of Trinidad brought to us all when he stepped on the medal podium to receive his Gold aand Bronze medals.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:02:42 AM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Re: Respect the Man
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 08:04:50 AM »
I disagree with starting a new topic for this, but I agree with the sentiment. I think Ato knows how much true track fans appreciate him. And I suspect he puts a lot more into T&T track and field than we know. I think he understands that we know how difficult it is to even break into the broadcasting business, MUCH LESS to excel in it. Keep up the good work Ato!  :beermug:

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 08:35:30 AM »

I have been looking on with great interest as to the motivation of some people on the Athletics forum for a couple years and I'm flabagasted as to the reasoning (for some of you) to fight a point with AB as to your belief on the sport. Ato has and for a good part of his life committed himself to this sport professionally and have raced with the best of his era in Athletics for something like 10yrs or more. It baffles me as to what right each of you have as to continually fight and bicker with Ato over his sentiments or knowledgable insight into the sport. We should all be honoured that this guy takes the time to answer us here and educate(not all) some of us.

He sees the sport differently to most of us here as he sees the bigger picture, we see the narrow view(only Trinidad and Tobago's athletes). Please let's give him the respect that is deserved, if only for the fact that he has lifted the T&T flag for many a year on the world stage. Lets remember the joy this son of Trinidad brought to us all when he stepped on the medal podium to receive his Gold aand Bronze medals.

:applause: :applause: :applause:
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 08:57:23 AM »

i don't condone disrespect..

but if at the same time you think people should wholeheartedly accept his contributions because of his experience, without an opportunity to engage in constructive debate, then that should be done in a blog.. not a discussion forum.

Offline keelz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 09:22:44 AM »
hmmnn....that is a very, good point,ido agree with your point,i just think bikkering on an ''online discussion forum'' shows everyone else ''internationaly'' how weak we r. :-[

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 10:03:30 AM »
hmmnn....that is a very, good point,ido agree with your point,i just think bikkering on an ''online discussion forum'' shows everyone else ''internationaly'' how weak we r. :-[

having a difference of opinion within a population is not a sign of weakness.

the underlying problem, if there is one, is that some people can't form a coherent argument and as such the debate cannot possibly be constructive.  As a third-party, the whole point of following a discussion is to start with the assumption that either position can conceivably be held by a reasonable person.  Once one or more of the combatants proves that they fail to meet the criteria then I just reading the thread for entertainment value.

For example, a man is explicitly accusing Ato of presenting false information but after much back and forth is yet to provide a single specific example.

but that have nothing to do with Ato.  Or Trinis for that matter.  In any case, it is not much of a problem as it doesn't take more than a few posts for the "audience" to sort out who they going to take seriously.  Being incoherent is not a moral failing.

I doh go on any other forums but I would guess that there aren't that many places where you could watch an expert on tv and then within minutes/hours engage in a debate with that individual.  This, I think, is a plus.

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 10:12:34 AM »
Wow it amazes me that people are the opinion that since I disagree with Ato on some of his point of view that I hate him and don't respect him , They also believe that since he is a olympic medalist that I should not question or argue with his point of view , The hard  part of this these same people who are arguing that i am doing this are the same one that at some point of time disagree with the prime minister or at other times disagree with the tactics and approaches of our National Coach but on the same time critisize me  :(. At no point in time I was disrespectful to Ato I give my claims and I said things that a lot of other people view the same .

Offline Paceman123

• Full Warrior
  • The talent to be a great runner is a gift from Go
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 10:30:59 AM »

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 10:52:17 AM »
Wow it amazes me that people are the opinion that since I disagree with Ato on some of his point of view that I hate him and don't respect him , They also believe that since he is a olympic medalist that I should not question or argue with his point of view , The hard  part of this these same people who are arguing that i am doing this are the same one that at some point of time disagree with the prime minister or at other times disagree with the tactics and approaches of our National Coach but on the same time critisize me  :(. At no point in time I was disrespectful to Ato I give my claims and I said things that a lot of other people view the same .

JB, i dont think anybody mind d debate between u an ato. in my view, i think u shud bring your facts to support your argument  :-\
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 01:51:10 PM »
Fellas stop this allyuh trying to kill we joy or what nothing wrong with people with different opinions going at each other  . The fun thing about it is that Ato is a cocky confident one so he gives as much as he gets ....
I don't think anyone looking to disrespect him ...we have too much appreciation for what hes done for the sport.
The fun of forums is conflict the agreement to disagree as long as we not disrespectful and cussing each other out I think debate is healthy ...Ato big enough to take all the ole talk with a pinch of salt ....like i said long a we all respect each other nothing wrong with disagreeing with each other.... besides if we all agreed about everything where is the fun in that?

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 04:52:50 PM »
I been online since 1995 - the first ever track message board was a board on AOL that I took over and got my own spot on and it set records - at one time every pro that mattered was on there.

I doh take anything online too seriously, and it keeps me sharp because it makes me think. Even when I don't agree.

Congrats to Marc and Richard, and trust me when I say I apologize for getting Jehue's age wrong today but I am going to praise him to the high heavens in 2 days - I have already explained why it's necessary to the brass.

Trinis have a right to celebrate tonight in my opinion. 3 women into the 100m semis for the first time ever, a 17 year old in the 400H final in the greatest year maybe for that event in a long time, and yours truly calling 9.5 brave and getting it lol - and it's only day 2!

I would appreciate all info anyone can send on JEHUE because the NBC research dept has zero on him, and is not a strong event for me knowledge wise, I admit.

Trinis argue hard, it is who we are. I take no offense and hope to not give any either...

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 05:46:33 PM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 06:58:28 PM »
I been online since 1995 - the first ever track message board was a board on AOL that I took over and got my own spot on and it set records - at one time every pro that mattered was on there.

I doh take anything online too seriously, and it keeps me sharp because it makes me think. Even when I don't agree.

Congrats to Marc and Richard, and trust me when I say I apologize for getting Jehue's age wrong today but I am going to praise him to the high heavens in 2 days - I have already explained why it's necessary to the brass.

Trinis have a right to celebrate tonight in my opinion. 3 women into the 100m semis for the first time ever, a 17 year old in the 400H final in the greatest year maybe for that event in a long time, and yours truly calling 9.5 brave and getting it lol - and it's only day 2!

I would appreciate all info anyone can send on JEHUE because the NBC research dept has zero on him, and is not a strong event for me knowledge wise, I admit.

Trinis argue hard, it is who we are. I take no offense and hope to not give any either...

Well said Ato big respect and congrats to meh Trinis ..... a special apology to Richard Thompson .... I have to admit that I doubted him based on his form but I realise he is a big game performer ... Marc I always felt in the back of my head that he would sneak into the final but Richard I doubted despite the fact that he won the silver last year ... I won't doubt him again

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 07:05:21 PM »

Ato talk to Doc Hypolite who is with the team ...he can give you more than you need ...Jehue runs with  memphis pioneers in Trinidad.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 03:20:37 AM »

Jehue won the mile relay singlehandledly for TnT this year at Carifta,m when the pundits focussed on Jamaica vs Grenada.
Tocoslim1 at Caribs knows all the info you could want about Jehue. Go there and search the archive for his comments dating back to Carifta.

Offline panjazz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 09:37:09 AM »
what ah kiss up  :rotfl:

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 10:15:52 AM »
I must say that Ato is one of my favorite sportman anybody who knows me can say that , but at the same time I believe in speaking my mind. Some people bashed me when I told Ato stop lying , a lot of people question my know how of the sport or my credentials and begged that I show evidence . firstly I said Ato was lying when he said that RT anchoring time in the olympics was 8.98 which was the fastest by any Trinidaian. The time Trinidad ran in the olympics was 38.06 seconds, As Ato said Richard ran 8.98 so that means at 29.08 his split would of started . Watch the video and judge for yourself . Secondly all serches on split time can be done on the internet and no split time will be found for Trinidad for the beijing Olympics , When I asked about fastest split times for Trinidad athletes I did so on the knowledge that none was available , You see this argument of anchor position had been going on for a while so I email the IAAf requesting that information as to prove Darrel would be the best anchor , I was told that there is no statistics available on split times for Trinidad athletes , You see no one thought to ask ATO to verify his information they just took his word for it , yeah I know he has all the credentials , I am jut a fanatic that knows nothing about the sport.

Offline panjazz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 11:36:49 AM »
I must say that Ato is one of my favorite sportman anybody who knows me can say that , but at the same time I believe in speaking my mind. Some people bashed me when I told Ato stop lying , a lot of people question my know how of the sport or my credentials and begged that I show evidence . firstly I said Ato was lying when he said that RT anchoring time in the olympics was 8.98 which was the fastest by any Trinidaian. The time Trinidad ran in the olympics was 38.06 seconds, As Ato said Richard ran 8.98 so that means at 29.08 his split would of started . Watch the video and judge for yourself . Secondly all serches on split time can be done on the internet and no split time will be found for Trinidad for the beijing Olympics , When I asked about fastest split times for Trinidad athletes I did so on the knowledge that none was available , You see this argument of anchor position had been going on for a while so I email the IAAf requesting that information as to prove Darrel would be the best anchor , I was told that there is no statistics available on split times for Trinidad athletes , You see no one thought to ask ATO to verify his information they just took his word for it , yeah I know he has all the credentials , I am jut a fanatic that knows nothing about the sport.

I concur, and like you I AM a big fan of Ato and dat eh go change, but Ato is human just like all of us. I despise de arselicking that does go on here.

Offline keelz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 08:46:43 PM »
thanx 4 clearing that up, once we keep the debates clean. ;D

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 12:20:45 AM »
I also must say that whenever I see Ato on TV working I feel proud of him...even doh he ent hit meh back on facebook...but is okay. Nuff respect to you AB. You've done tnt proud!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 02:21:52 PM »
From Sports Illustrated  :beermug::

Ato Boldon, track analyst, NBC Sports and Versus: Following his exemplary work last year in Beijing, Boldon provided engaging commentary at the 2009 world track and field championships in Berlin, carefully explaining to viewers why Usain Bolt ("The best thing to happen to track and field in my lifetime," Boldon said) is so ahead of his peers. Best of all was Boldon's genuine expression of disbelief (U.S. TV viewers heard him scream into his microphone, "Oh ... my ... God!") when Bolt broke the 200-meter world record.

"I was in the Michael Johnson race when he ran the 19.32 [at the 1996 Summer Games] so I naturally have a lot of respect for that time," said Boldon, a four-time Olympic medalist. "We have a running joke at NBC. When Michael set the 19.32 record, [then-announcer] Craig Masback started to talk all over [the call of announcer] Tom Hammond, which is a big no-no. He was screaming, 'He set a world record, he set a world record.' So there's a joke about not doing that because it ruins the call for history. My screaming was purely unintentional on my part. I'd been warned, 'Don't talk over Tom,' but it literally was what I was thinking at the time. I just happened to have a mic on. Since NBC used it in their promos, I didn't get a scolding!"

Asked if he was signed through the 2012 Olympics, Boldon ran away from the question diplomatically: "I'm not positive but I love where I am and they seem to enjoy my work." Let's lock up this dude, Ebersol.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 03:27:18 PM »
AY AY AY doh be posting my business in public 

If I am to be 'locked up' I doh want people to be knowing. Also note that I reiterate that I am 'NOT POSITIVE' for any substance...

Please respect my privacy at this time...

:rotfl:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 03:37:15 PM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 07:28:47 PM »

If I am to be 'locked up' I doh want people to be knowing. Also note that I reiterate that I am 'NOT POSITIVE' for any substance...

Nice use of the language...
 ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 08:07:38 PM »

Not even Boldenone? ;D
(BTW to the casual reader... this is a joke)
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 08:48:53 PM »
Leo, wha ya tryin to say
Ato used to run at Santa Rosa :devil:
sorry Ato, could not resist ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 09:05:26 PM »
The casual reader has NO CLUE what Boldenone is  :devil:
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 05:55:17 AM »

...saving you from the Newsday front page :beermug:
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2009, 11:27:38 PM »

West Coast is not a casual reader. :devil: So far he's showed unusual restraint in terms of clarification. :devil:

:beermug: [Cheers, pardnah].
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 01:52:24 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 07:36:08 AM »

West Coast is not a casual reader. :devil: So far he's showed unusual restraint in terms of clarification. :devil:

:beermug: [Cheers, pardnah].
::)
the thing is
You are the only one ketchin kicks :devil: :devil:
I feel ya have something in ya craw  :thinking: :thinking:............spit it out man.......honestly, is ah few threads now ::) ::)
BUT seriously.......................is rhetorical................soooo.......carry on ;D ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>