March 28, 2024, 01:33:06 PM

Author Topic: Darrent Bent hails Kenwyne Jones  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Darrent Bent hails Kenwyne Jones
« on: August 17, 2009, 06:06:16 AM »
SAFC striker Bent hails perfect striking partner
By Luke Edwards (The Journal)

DARREN Bent is not just happy to be at a club where he feels wanted, he is also thrilled to be playing alongside a striker who can bring out the best in him.

Bent’s blossoming with Kenwyne Jones was one of a number of positives for Sunderland manager Steve Bruce in the encouraging 1-0 win over Bolton Wanderers.

The pair, who have only trained together for two weeks, have quickly built up an understanding on the pitch which suggests their relationship will be a prolific one for the Black Cats.

And, having ended a miserable two years at Tottenham Hotspur to move to Sunderland, Bent made no attempt to hide his excitement about what the future holds for him at Stadium of Light.

“The understanding with Kenwyne feels promising,” said Bent, whose debut goal was warmly received by his new teammates.

“He’s a fantastic striker. He took such a big weight off my shoulders.

“Last season, playing with either (Robbie) Keane or (Jermain) Defoe, I was mainly acting as the big man, but with Kenwyne it allows me to play a different role and one I prefer.

“He’s big and strong, he holds up the ball well and hopefully we can get a great partnership going. I think there’s far more to him than just taking a battering. He’s got a good first touch, he’s tough, he can finish with both feet, he can head the ball. Hopefully we can get many, many goals between us. My natural game is playing off the last defender.

“Probably people didn’t see the best of me when I was at Tottenham for that reason, because I was playing as a target man which isn’t really me. Hopefully I can kick on at Sunderland.” That will suit Bruce who is already proving to be a better manager for Bent than Harry Redknapp was at Spurs. Indeed, it was Redknapp’s lack of faith and support which forced Bent out of Tottenham. He said: “Maybe I’m the type of player who needs an arm around the shoulder sometimes, but every player, no matter who they are, needs the support of their manager at the end of the day.

“At times last season I felt I was left hung out there to dry, regardless of how I played or how many goals I scored, but since I’ve been at Sunderland it’s been fantastic. I love being around the place. The manager has made a point of talking to me every day, encouraging me, telling me what he thinks of me, what he knows I can do. That makes me believe in myself and hopefully I can repay him for that.”

Much has been made this summer of Sunderland’s geographical disadvantage, particularly when Peter Crouch rejected a move to Wearside because it was too far north.

But Bent is more interested in football than geography and the Londoner is genuinely in awe of what he has seen so far from the club’s supporters. He added: “To get five thousand fans at an away game is just amazing. I’ve never experienced anything like that before in my life. It is scary, to be honest.

“We’ve repaid them with a win and hopefully they’re happy with that. But it shows what this club is all about and what it can be, the potential that’s there.

“I’d heard that the people in the North East were passionate, but until I saw it today... Lads like Kieran (Richardson) and Anton (Ferdinand) told me that I wouldn’t quite believe it until you play in front of them.

“Now I’ve seen it for myself. It was fantastic. I can’t wait to play in front of the home supporters on Tuesday night.

“It definitely feels as though I’ve come to a club which is about to enter a new era in its history. This is a club going forward.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Darrent Bent hails Kenwyne Jones
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 06:30:01 AM »
“He’s big and strong, he holds up the ball well and hopefully we can get a great partnership going. I think there’s far more to him than just taking a battering. He’s got a good first touch, he’s tough, he can finish with both feet, he can head the ball. Hopefully we can get many, many goals between us. My natural game is playing off the last defender.“

Why Bent lying....KJ and good first touch shouldn't even be in the same sentence... please...LOL

Still, big up to KJ and Sunderland though.....
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 06:34:38 AM by Tallman »
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 06:40:07 AM »
“He’s big and strong, he holds up the ball well and hopefully we can get a great partnership going. I think there’s far more to him than just taking a battering. He’s got a good first touch, he’s tough, he can finish with both feet, he can head the ball. Hopefully we can get many, many goals between us. My natural game is playing off the last defender.“

Why Bent lying....KJ and good first touch shouldn't even be in the same sentence... please...LOL

Still, big up to KJ and Sunderland though.....

:rotfl:  :rotfl: Bent juss want Jones prime parking spot and locker.

would be nice to seem them form a partnership and give the sunderland fans something celebrate other than when they get discounted beer.

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:57:09 AM »
where Kev? :devil:

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 08:13:05 AM »
where Kev? :devil:

Here ;)

Sorry I was busy on Saturday, but there were no links anyway, I will be on the ball for the Chelsea match tomorrow.

As for the match on Saturday they actually looked quite friendly, as against a rather strained relationship with Cisse last season. 

Both of them missed chance/s to put the game to bed and both should of passed to the other on at least one occasion.  I don't know how it will work out but maybe it will spur Kenwyne on a bit, he looked better on Saturday than he has for a season and a half tbh.  It was also the 1st time I had seen Campbell a couple of nice touches, is quick and works hard, could easily see him playing instead of either Bent or Kenwyne in some matches.

The team in general looked what it is a few strangers in key positions Cana is not fully match fit and needs to settle.  Defence is a worry looked disjointed even against a toothless Bolton.  Still think we need at least 1 more creative midfielder and a couple of defenders.  The club are just tying up a year long loan for Mensah either today or tomorrow, I haven't seen him play so can't really comment.  Da Silva has just had his visa stamped so only got in the country at the weekend so hopefully these 2 may improve the defence, again I can't make a comment because I haven't seen him play either.  They will both need time to settle into the EPL anyway.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bruce: Duo will test any defence
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 09:07:50 AM »
Bruce: Duo will test any defence
By Damian Spellman (Press Association Sport)

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce has warned England captain John Terry he will have his hands full with Darren Bent and Kenwyne Jones on Tuesday night.

The 48-year-old sent out his new-look strike-force for the first time at Bolton on Saturday and reaped an early reward for his £10million investment in Bent as the 25-year-old marked his competitive debut for the Black Cats with the winning goal.

But perhaps even more satisfying was the way the former Tottenham man linked up with Jones, who clearly relished his team-mate's contribution after enduring a difficult last campaign alongside Frenchman Djibril Cisse.

Bruce, an accomplished centre-half during his own distinguished playing days, admitted he would not have liked to play against the pair, and promised Terry and his defensive colleagues a difficult visit to the Stadium of Light.

He said: "I don't think they were ever that big when I played - they seem to get bigger now.

"They didn't breed them like that when I was playing, thankfully. Potentially, they have got the makings of a very, very good pair.

"When they are at it, the pair of them, I wouldn't like to play against them. They are a handful for anybody, that's for sure, so I hope that continues."

Jones has borne much of the burden of scoring the goals to keep Sunderland in the Premier League in the two seasons since his £6million arrival from Southampton, and the pressure has told at times.

However, Bruce is confident the smile on his face is bad news for defenders.

He said: "He looked to me as if he was enjoying himself and enjoying playing with Darren, maybe a new partner who suits him a little bit.

"But it's not just Kenwyne, I want all of them to come and play as if they are enjoying it."

Bruce will hope for more of the same from his team, which included two more debutants as well as Bent at the Reebok Stadium.

The manager was delighted with the contribution of Lorik Cana, but it was Lee Cattermole who perhaps stole the headlines with the kind of performance which persuaded the former Wigan boss to go back to his old club with a cheque for £6million.

Bruce said: "I have always liked the kid since I saw him first at 18. He's got this huge appetite and a big heart, and he's also a decent footballer.

"People respond to him. He drives the team forward - he was certainly instrumental in Wigan having a really great season last year, even though he was only 20 years old.

"That's why we have pursued him over a few weeks. He and Lorik have given us that little bit of steel I do believe you need in the Premier League.

"If we hadn't had that steel on Saturday in the second half in particular, they would have blown us away, Bolton.

"You do need that physical element to compete in this division."

Bruce has major worries over Steed Malbranque, who twisted an ankle at Bolton, and Kieran Richardson, who suffered a dead leg, but it is in defence that his focus lies off the pitch.

He confirmed on Monday that he hopes to tie up a season-long loan deal for Lyon defender John Mensah inside the next 48 hours, and has admitted an interest in Australia international Lucas Neill.

Bruce said: "I showed an interest in him - I was intrigued to see what he was up to and what he is at.

"It's one area we were looking at, but we have just had a conversation. We have two, three, four irons in the fire a
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 09:28:49 AM »
With Malbranque and Richardson looking shaky, I hope carlos get the chance to embarass Ashley Cole like we know he can. if he do it to him Tuesday, it could be no coming back for Steed. Hopefully...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 10:03:56 AM »
it have any other footballer does get more praise than kenwyne?
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 10:34:11 AM »

perhaps but noone who fails to back it up with their performances like he does

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:44:30 AM »

I think with the amount of lambaste he does get here it even out.  Big managers and players rate him and "we" hate him go figure ???

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 10:52:42 AM »
Nobody here hates KJ.
We just want him to score, or set up some goals for the NT.
That shouldn't be too much to ask.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 11:04:33 AM »
Nobody here hates KJ.
We just want him to score, or set up some goals for the NT.
That shouldn't be too much to ask.

If most of the forumites who actively post had their way he probably wouldn't even be picked it seems.  Man callin for Zamora who does score even less than KJ and certainly not as big and strong.  Not sure how that makes sense, but I sure most could justify it somehow even if it sound like 100% undiluted, unadulterated f**kry!

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 11:21:15 AM »
Big player carries Big Expectation. Most of us just want to see him score. especially in Concacaf. Jones should be the top sc orer in Concacaf this hex. He not producing and that is why we are on his case.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 12:39:30 PM »
Big player carries Big Expectation. Most of us just want to see him score. especially in Concacaf. Jones should be the top sc orer in Concacaf this hex. He not producing and that is why we are on his case.

Yep!! Very simple.  We are fans and we want all "marque" players to perform.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 12:45:50 PM »
KJ and all wish he was scorin for us!
Doh even play yuh doh realise that.

Offline Trin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 01:11:44 PM »
KJ and all wish he was scorin for us!
Doh even play yuh doh realise that.

I get the impression he really disappointing and frustrated that he cah score more regularly for us even though most ppl saying he look like he doh care.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 01:28:16 PM »
And even while he not scoring, he bringing something to the team.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 03:10:20 PM »

last place in de Hex!

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 03:14:33 PM »

last place in de Hex!
:o You blaming jones for our place in the Hex? team game arrow...

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 03:56:18 PM »

last place in de Hex!
:o You blaming jones for our place in the Hex? team game arrow...

you know is arrow you just answer right? Just thought you should know eh...

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 04:07:44 PM »
I couln't say it better my self! KJ supposed tuh have more goals than altidor and donovan combined, instead he's 0 for 6 and only kicking ball wide over bars and @ the keeper.

i was saying it all along , but everyone thought that i was petitioning for roberts and glenn, and look, bent says the same thing, but that is what was needed all along, ah strike partener like glenn or roberts, fellas who does run and play the passing game.

this is another reason i vex with the coaching staff, we doing real bolony, playing fellas out of position and using ah set of inexperienced players for two yrs now.

KJ is ah big weapon, but the coaches not playing to his strenghts, imagine yuh pairing KJ up wid stern and scotty , and all of them have the same game, ssttteeeuupppsss!

i feel we need ah good foreign coach like ah rijkard, BC the last two coaches we had doh know fack all about picking ah team, let alone organizing one. let latas coach the under 20, BC it seem like he rather work with the locals more than the foreign based.

PS: ah see they breakin their necks tuh bring zamora on board  and we have better striker than zamora who they not calling up. scot sealy and darryl, IMO far better and more effective than bobby Z. BZ real underarchieving right now.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 05:54:13 PM »
Match Of the Day pundits love KJ...they always singing his praises
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 06:07:53 PM »
Match Of the Day pundits love KJ...they always singing his praises
But he doh score. Dey doh know football or wha?

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 06:08:41 PM »
and yuh ent see how long Heskey playing for England ?
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 06:29:40 PM »
For KJ to be reallly effective for us,we must make sure he has a steady diet of balls in the box,thats where he is truely worth his weight in goal and quite frankly that has not happened in the hex

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 06:31:59 PM »
darren you must've been bent when you utter those words...............i got one thing to say to you..............shut tuh........

viva la revoluccion.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 07:15:28 PM »

Yes, we want him to score, but if he can't get service like he would in the EPL how in heaven's name he go score?  We have no effective midfielders; we always giving away the ball and defending for 80% of the time and everybody want to blame KJ.  How much scoring did Yorke do for Tt hen he was scorching the EPL?  We need to learn to hold the ball, possess the ball and build up plays to give our forwards a chance.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 08:18:45 PM »
since when football have "should" and "suppose"...FIFA change some rule ???

Bent hail Kenywne ??..like "Wham now Kenwyne??..".. cause i also hail Kenwyne a few times

play yuh fitball big man
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 08:25:23 PM »
since when football have "should" and "suppose"...FIFA change some rule ???

Bent hail Kenywne ??..like "Wham now Kenwyne??..".. cause i also hail Kenwyne a few times

play yuh fitball big man

nah, KJ does pull bull after practice back to the hotel.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 02:42:48 AM »

Yes, we want him to score, but if he can't get service like he would in the EPL how in heaven's name he go score?  We have no effective midfielders; we always giving away the ball and defending for 80% of the time and everybody want to blame KJ.  How much scoring did Yorke do for Tt hen he was scorching the EPL?  We need to learn to hold the ball, possess the ball and build up plays to give our forwards a chance.
Right you are homes!! as you say, how do you expect ah fella tuh score if the midfield can't hold on to the ball for 10 seconds?

TNT midfield is filled with ah bunch ah labourers, how yuh expect tuh score when fellas cyar dribble pass or create space for the forwards ? is only ah set ah killa pass or boom kick yuh seeing, or they losing the ball as soon as the opponents apply ah little pressure. ssstttuueeepppssss!

i want tuh see man hold on to the ball and distribute inteligently to the forwards and attacking mids, is only ah set ah long ball tuh nobody and is back on the defence again, so is more pressure and energy burning for the midfielders and defenders tuh tackle and win back the ball.

yuh right bro, ah couldn't say it any better, but it seem like our previous and present coach like the labouring midfielders bro.                                              positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>