March 28, 2024, 10:34:30 AM

Author Topic: Steve Bruce backs Kenwyne Jones to be Sunderland's Didier Drogba  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Steve Bruce backs Kenwyne Jones to be Sunderland's Didier Drogba
By Simon Bird (Mirror Football)

Steve Bruce is convinced Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones can see off Didier Drogba in the battle of the big men tonight.

The Sunderland boss reckons Trinidad and Tobago star Jones has all it takes to become one of the most feared strikers in the Premiership in the Drogba mould.

Bruce threw Jones into win at Bolton at the weekend despite a marathon week of cross Atlantic flights on international duty and he produced a dominant display.

And pitted against the Chelsea man at the Stadium of Light tonight, Bruce says Jones can reach a new level after his performances last season tailed off.

Bruce said: “The kid’s got a bit of Drogba about him, hasn’t he? If you catch him on his day then because of his physical presence, pace and power, he’s unplayable.

“There’s not many people physically as big as the boy.

“What happened towards the end of last season I’m not really interested in. It’s how I can get the best out of him. Certainly I think Benty and Fraizer Campbell will help because their work-rate is phenomenal.

“I think the big thing against him last year was he missed the first three or four months of the season recovering from his knee injury. Players who are always playing catch-up struggle.

“He’s come back and missed the first week with a bit of a groin (strain) but after that he’s been absolutely excellent.

“I can’t think of anybody better in the air not just because of his size but he can jump as well. All the ingredients are there with Kenwyne, it’s how we get the best out of him, how he gets the best out of himself. We’ll see how far he goes in his career.

“Kenwyne will have to do it because if he doesn’t do it for me, he doesn’t play. It’s as simple as that. I don’t stand on ceremony, they have to go and give everything they’ve got. He certainly did that on Saturday - at the end he couldn’t move, he’d hit a standstill!“

Sunderland is full of optimism following a solid pre-season and Darren Bent’s winner at the Reebok. But his reshaped squad have to overcome a psychological barrier if they are to push into the top ten.

Last season the Black Cats lost ten games at the Stadium of Light, with only Hull having a worse record. Bruce now wants stronger characters to stand up to the pressures of 40,000-plus attendances.

He added: “You have to have a certain player to play in front of a big crowd, an expectant crowd. You have to have big personalities. That’s what we need to improve on.

“That’s the reason why I’m here. I hope we can go and produce a performance like we did on Saturday and the 5,000 who went really appreciated it. You could see from the response at the end they could see the team had given everything they’d got.

“I believe the North East is a particularly working-class area and they want to see their team have a go and make sure there are no prima-donnas and there’s no pet lips. They want to be able to associate with their team and I’m convinced we can show them we’re better prepared.”

Bruce added: “We have one of the giants of Europe coming here and we have to be at our best. Is it a good time to be playing Chelsea? We don’t know.

“It may have taken them to the last minute to beat Hull but I have seen the stats and they had 26 shots on goal which you know when you are playing one of the top teams, they have people who can hurt you. And Chelsea always go to the wire and it is something that makes them a great team.

“Chelsea have that quality with Drogba, Anelka, Lampard. They can all win a game and that is why they are top players and why they play for Chelsea. It is in bred in them - top players go to the wire.”.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
Re: Steve Bruce backs Kenwyne Jones to be Sunderland's Didier Drogba
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »
yuh joking - yes
yuh smoking - yes
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 06:45:59 PM »
 ::)
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 06:55:28 AM »
well he getting his chance versus the real deal tonight vs Chelsea.

Funny how he went from being acclaimed as The next Didier Drogba to The Didier Drogba of Sunderland ... waiting to hear that Bent is the Rooney of Sunderland and that Carlos is the Fabergas of Sunderland
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 06:58:46 AM »
Jones cant ever tie Didier Drogba shoe lace.

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 07:15:13 AM »
you go KJ!! defy all the naysayers and pundits...
 ;D

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 07:48:46 AM »
KJ i say buss all de net yuh could bredda.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 08:42:51 AM »
“Kenwyne will have to do it because if he doesn’t do it for me, he doesn’t play. It’s as simple as that. I don’t stand on ceremony, they have to go and give everything they’ve got. He certainly did that on Saturday - at the end he couldn’t move, he’d hit a standstill!“

This is the most important part of this article.........

ah love it!!

GO CHELSEA.......lol

Chelsea 5 (Lampard 3, Drogba, Terry) ; Sunderland 2 (edwards, Jones)

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 10:19:15 AM »
KJ scorin 2 tonight!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 10:25:53 AM »

ah love it!!

GO CHELSEA.......lol

This is de best part here.... satisfying both yuh fantasy football side and yuh patriotic side  :rotfl:
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 10:53:07 AM »

ah love it!!

GO CHELSEA.......lol

Soundin like somebody have Lampard as his fantasy captain  :devil:
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 02:42:32 PM »
Jones cant ever tie Didier Drogba shoe lace.

Drogba was playing lower division ball when he was Jones age, eh, so doh put down the man just because he born in a small island.

Like everybody who ever coach kenwyne say is just a question of " how much he want it!"
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 07:08:29 AM »
Spidey, people does always forget that!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline christiano

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 07:20:04 AM »
Kenwyn Jones is the next Kenwyn Jones !!
He is young enough and has abilities that can carve a new identity for himself in the football world.

Whether or not he can or cant tie Drogba shoelace is insignificant.
Was Drogba today, Drogba at 22 years old?

KJ is our best offer to the international scene at this time.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 11:22:57 AM »
Kenwyn Jones is the next Kenwyn Jones !!
He is young enough and has abilities that can carve a new identity for himself in the football world.

Whether or not he can or cant tie Drogba shoelace is insignificant.
Was Drogba today, Drogba at 22 years old?

KJ is our best offer to the international scene at this time.

very nice!!! ppl always say how somebody is the next dis and next dat. Read on Daily Mail website that Aguero is the next, next Maradona after Messi. THAT MAKES NO SENSE. Let everyone create their own image. Anybody ever heard of the next Yorke or next Latapy?? Who is the next, next Kenwyne after Kenwyne???  ::) ??? ::)

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 12:06:02 PM »
Like everybody who ever coach kenwyne say is just a question of " how much he want it!"
The first time I even really start paying attention to Kenwyne was when I hear Beenhakker say that KJ will be as good as he wants to be.

1]; } ?>