May 23, 2024, 03:38:53 AM

Author Topic: Giant TT flag a success.  (Read 29361 times)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Giant TT flag a success.
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2009, 05:05:51 AM »

By my rough calculations.

Foundation : 300 K (this with a multiplier of 1.5)

Pole supplied and erected (which should not have been steel but ribbed aluminium) :  500K (a multiplier of 2)

Engineering and other services 10% of cost : 80K

Grand total say 900K

At least half the cost they paid, of course no TT contractor will come forward and question the price except maybe Elias because they all eat off the same table.

I have no race thing with the C**t .
How I can I ? I am of all races .
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What is the fuss? Sport Minister defends $2m flag...
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2009, 05:28:57 AM »
What is the fuss? Sport Minister defends $2m flag...
By Ria Taitt (T&T Express)

IN the face of apparent unrelenting condemnation over the $2 million cost of the ’legacy’ flag hoisted in the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Sports Minister Gary Hunt yesterday dismissed reports that the flag was having the opposite effect of what it was meant to achieve - which is national pride.

’I disagree. You just have to go on Facebook and you would see some of the arguments and support that is there. It has huge support online,’ he said.

Told that there were some adverse comment in the media, Hunt replied: ’I haven’t heard any. From my walkabouts, I have heard no such comments... I have just come from the walk from Hutton Road, Cascade, in my constituency and I have had no such comments.’

He was speaking at a news conference at the Sport Company, at which the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (Sportt) confirmed that the erection of the controversial flag cost $2 million.

The breakdown provided by Sportt Chairman Kenneth Charles is as follows: flag and fabric-$18,112,15; foundation and installation works-TT$940,000; design and supply of the ’monster flag pole’ TT$932,400.

In addition, the ministry acquired three additional flags at a cost of TT$54,336. The flag, which is out of composite nylon and covers 2,160 square feet, will have to be replaced every four to six months, dependent on the weather condition, on a permanent basis.

Hunt said the flag was a ’worthy investment, especially for young people ’who need to look inward at our heroes ..., instead of the Paris Hiltons’.

Told that this was the second facility named after a national icon which has encountered controversy (the first being Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba), Hunt said: ’It is my opinion that every day that the flag flies it would do the damage control (necessary to blunt criticism), because it would reflect itself as a symbol of national pride every time we look at it, and it should.’

The Minister was flanked by Charles and Sportt Executive Director, Darren Millien. Charles said the company was aware of the possible costs at the start of the project.

’We knew that the stadium is built on reclaimed land. There was an expectation that when you went to a certain depth that you would encounter water, hence the need to do all the soil testing before you started the project ... So it was an engineering project and therefore it had a certain cost,’ Charles said.

He said the engineering works which took place in the ’swampy soil conditions where the stadium is located’, included a soil analysis and geotechnical survey, design of the foundation, excavation to a depth of 20 feet x 20 ft x 15 feet, 400 tonnes of reinforced concrete, two tonnes of steel, reinforcements, blue stone and granular backfill, and contracting the use of heavy lifting equipment such as cranes to hold the flag in position for several days while the concrete set.

Charles said people had to keep in mind that the pole, which is 165 feet high (15 feet below ground and 150 above), weighs 15,650 pounds, can withstand winds of 130 miles without the flag, 90 miles with the flag and has an earthquake rating of zone 5, ’just like in California’.

Asked why it took almost a week of controversy before coming forward to confirm the figures, Charles said the company had the information and it was up to the Minister to provide the guidance and instruction. Hunt said the ministry had to do a due diligence to ensure that the information given to the press was accurate.

’A question was asked on the cost of the flag, we answered that ... ($18,112.15),’ Hunt said, referring to the ministry’s release on Monday.

’And today, we are able to provide the data surrounding the structures that would support the flag,’ he added.

Was this being less than forthright with the public, the Minister was asked.

’You see people were associating the physical flag with a cost (of TT$ 2 million). And I think that it was only fair that the public know that the actual fact was $18,000 ...That is a different issue (from) - what it takes to erect the flag,’ he said.

Asked whether he believed he was damaged by this issue and that people would henceforth refer to him as the $2 million man, Hunt said: ’You can’t put a price on a person’s personality. I am who I am ... carrying out a mandate for the people of Trinidad and Tobago as Minister of Sport, which I am proud to do... I think in time people would understand the value of what we have done.’

Charles said the contract was the result of competitive tender from three suppliers-Phabha Sports International; Fire One Fire Works and Excellent Technologies. The successful bidder was Fire One Fire Works, which had installed the only other legacy flag in the country-the one at Macoya.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2009, 05:29:09 AM »
Gary opened his mouth yesterday and again confirmed why he should seriously consider changing he name to Isaac.....what a colossal kaka hole!!.... >:( >:(
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2009, 06:02:44 AM »
Gary opened his mouth yesterday and again confirmed why he should seriously consider changing he name to Isaac.....what a colossal kaka hole!!.... >:( >:(

gyul, and there i thought roger boynes was d worst min. of sport.

not anymore nah. isaac take over
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2009, 07:31:04 AM »
If I am not mistaken, they take that flag down everyday right ?

Cause a man could easily thief it and sell it back to Gary Hunt for 3 million.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2009, 09:40:56 AM »
If they including costs of the surveying and engineering behind the flag then I could understand why the price high.  That said the near $1M to "design" seems high... and why they had to hold the flag erect so it could set in the concrete??  they couldn't set the concreted and bolt the flag pole into the ground?  Or the pole to tall and heavy fuh dat (eh fishs)?

truetrini

« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2009, 10:19:11 AM »
Someone at the Guardian did some research  look at what the blogger said;

https://www.usflag.com/monster-flagpoles.html

The US Flag & Flag Pole Company states that a 150 ft flagpole (unflagged windload 130mph) for a flag 30 by 60 feet cost USD 21,450!

The US Flag & Flagpole website also states that: -

Engineering: All Monster Flagpoles are engineered to meet ANSI/NAAMM FP-1001-97 Guide Specifications for Design Loads of Metal Flagpoles. Monster Flagpoles are the only flagpoles 100' and above that are designed and manufactured to meet all local wind code & ice loading requirements across the United States. Based on information provided by the customer, U.S. Flag can provide engineering as well as budgetary cost information for any custom flagpole and or flagpole foundation at an additional cost.

Flagpole Construction: Each flagpole is constructed of A-36 Carbon Steel, which offers a 36,000 PSI Yield Point. Each section is joined utilizing seamless steel concentric reducers, which provides a uniform taper-like appearance. In addition to matching touch-up paint, each flagpole will come with a standard size corrugated steel foundation sleeve with a steel base place and lightning spike arrestor.

Hardware: Each flagpole will come with an Internal Stainless Steel Winch System, which includes the following: Heavy Duty Revolving Truck Ball Assembly with 1.25" Stainless Steel Spindle, 1/8" Stainless Steel Aircraft Cable, Locking Stainnless Steel Internal Winch w/ Removable Handle, Beaded Retainer Rings, Counterweight, 2" Stainless Steel Snap Hooks, 3/8" Q-Links, and Flag Arrangement. Electric Winch can be substituted in lieu of manual winch for flagpoles over 130'. Additional charges will apply.

Paint: Monster Flagpoles are first sand-blasted to prepare the entire surface of the flagpole to receive primer. Then, they are coated with a hig performance, two-component chemically cured epoxy semi-gloss primer in preparation for painting. Finally, the finish is completed with a aliphatic urethane gloss enamel, which is specifically designed for maximum gloss & color retention.

So I guess (I'm not bright) that the flagpole cost included some extras, right?

AND THEN CHECK THESE WEBSITES TOO: -

http://www.newsday.com/upstate-village-claims-tallest-flagpole-in-ny-1.1...
http://www.cubany.org/html/flagpole.htm

In short, the Allegany Chamber of Commerce (Cuba N.Y.) in the US, organinzed a project to install a 150ft flagpole and flag. The estimate for the project was USD 40,000.00. The stadium flagpole is 15ft higher!

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2009, 11:40:33 AM »
If they including costs of the surveying and engineering behind the flag then I could understand why the price high.  That said the near $1M to "design" seems high... and why they had to hold the flag erect so it could set in the concrete??  they couldn't set the concreted and bolt the flag pole into the ground?  Or the pole to tall and heavy fuh dat (eh fishs)?
i
1m for the engineering and design is BS.
Soil information exists, they could even get it from BHP, Marriot or Movietowne designs that would be lodged with MOW.
Typically E&D is 10% of overall costs.
15 yrs ago we put up the lights in the hockey facility for 400k . This was complete installed towers , lights, local equipment room and commission the thing, so lets say 1 cost 100k and say just the tower and foundation cost 50k. That means in 15 yrs later to do similar is 40 times more?

This have big bobol in it. Check TC investigation.

My estimate with everything and a 2times contingency is 900k which is 150k us
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2009, 11:56:20 AM »
Listen Gary is not the sharpest tool in the shed...

Leave him nah let him sink himself....facebook and hutton road eh  :rotfl:

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2009, 11:59:06 AM »
Listen Gary is not the sharpest tool in the shed...

Leave him nah let him sink himself....facebook and hutton road eh  :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:   his suits sharper than he....
Thanks Touches....yuh make mih laugh in spite of the topic.... :rotfl:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2009, 05:25:24 PM »

A flag can stay up after dusk once it has floodlights on it.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2009, 09:16:32 PM »

A flag can stay up after dusk once it has floodlights on it.

Aye, aye...where yuh been??  Ah eh see yuh around for a while.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2009, 11:31:56 PM »
 :rotfl:
Trinis should start beating ministers with some sibblejack who waste the tax money

http://www.newsday.co.tt/day/1,35560.html#foto

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2009, 11:49:39 AM »
Saw this on someone else's FB :rotfl:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2009, 12:03:51 PM »
Saw this on someone else's FB :rotfl:

Thxs it just went viral
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2009, 10:12:46 PM »
oui........
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Symbol of waste and corruption
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2009, 01:19:53 PM »
Symbol of waste and corruption
By Gail Alexander (T&T Guardian)

Government’s $2 million flag at the Hasely Crawford Stadium should be flown at half-mast as it is a symbol of waste and corruption, UNC MP Roodal Moonilal said yesterday.

Moonilal made the point in the Lower House yesterday during debate on the Metrology Bill which specifies new unit for measurements of items in the public domain. Striking out against Government on the issue of competency, Moonilal stated there was no funding for an education campaign for the public to learn about the new measurements. Yet, he said Government could spend $2million on the flag. Moonilal said spending $2million on the flag was simply obscene when there was no money to provide water to consumers and other amenities. He said the flagpole may turn out—for the Government—to be like the “straw that broke the camel’s back.”

Noting that the Manning administration had been in office two years this week, Moonilal said the flag is “ample testimony of the 24 months.” Taking further issue with Government, Moonilal said there was incompetence in implementing things. He said there was a pattern of this. Commenting on the deaths of three people at Macoya’s Bailey bridge, Moonilal said the Works Minister Colm Imbert had the “audacity and insensitivity” to say the people, who were dead, should pay for damage to the bridge. Noting the issues of the $2million flag, the $10million outdoor stage being built at the Prime Minister’s official residence in St Ann’s, crime and the raid of a Saudi Arabian official’s hotel room, Moonilal said Government was straining the elasticity of the people. He noted that PNM councillor St Servius Pamphile had recently been shot in Laventille while conducting his work as a meter reader with T&TEC.

“We hope that the party of which Mr Pamphile is a member will do more to protect him... Government cannot even protect workers and keep ordinary people safe daily,” Moonilal added. Moonilal called on Government to apologise to the Muslim community and the Saudi Arabian Government for the police raid at the Saudi Arabian official’s hotel room. He said the UNC Government had arranged, in its tenure, to have Saudia Arabian officials come to T&T to issue visas when nationals needed visas to attend Haj. Previously, he said, citizens had to go to Venezuela to get visas. Moonilal also called for an investigation of cost-overruns of Petrotrin projects. However he said the State company had refused to pay cricket captain Daren Ganga, a Petrotrin employee, six weeks’ salary. “But they (Ministers) will go to President’s House tomorrow night (today) and eat and drink whiskey and shake hands with team members—it is shameful and disgraceful,” Moonilal added.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
TT$2 million Flag
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2009, 08:40:54 PM »

What A Thing  TT$2 million Flag ??

'Men are more moral than they think and far more immoral than they can imagine. '
    -Sigmund Freud

Submitted by Henry Castillo on 5 November 2009 - 8:27am.
ATTENTION MR.GARY HUNT!
PLEASE CHECK THIS WEBSITE: -
https://www.usflag.com/monster-flagpoles.html
The US Flag & Flag Pole Company states that a 150 ft flagpole (unflagged windload 130mph) for a flag 30 by 60 feet cost USD 21,450!
The US Flag & Flagpole website also states that: -
Engineering: All Monster Flagpoles are engineered to meet ANSI/NAAMM FP-1001-97 Guide Specifications for Design Loads of Metal Flagpoles. Monster Flagpoles are the only flagpoles 100' and above that are designed and manufactured to meet all local wind code & ice loading requirements across the United States. Based on information provided by the customer, U.S. Flag can provide engineering as well as budgetary cost information for any custom flagpole and or flagpole foundation at an additional cost.
Flagpole Construction: Each flagpole is constructed of A-36 Carbon Steel, which offers a 36,000 PSI Yield Point. Each section is joined utilizing seamless steel concentric reducers, which provides a uniform taper-like appearance. In addition to matching touch-up paint, each flagpole will come with a standard size corrugated steel foundation sleeve with a steel base place and lightning spike arrestor.
Hardware: Each flagpole will come with an Internal Stainless Steel Winch System, which includes the following: Heavy Duty Revolving Truck Ball Assembly with 1.25" Stainless Steel Spindle, 1/8" Stainless Steel Aircraft Cable, Locking Stainnless Steel Internal Winch w/ Removable Handle, Beaded Retainer Rings, Counterweight, 2" Stainless Steel Snap Hooks, 3/8" Q-Links, and Flag Arrangement. Electric Winch can be substituted in lieu of manual winch for flagpoles over 130'. Additional charges will apply.
Paint: Monster Flagpoles are first sand-blasted to prepare the entire surface of the flagpole to receive primer. Then, they are coated with a hig performance, two-component chemically cured epoxy semi-gloss primer in preparation for painting. Finally, the finish is completed with a aliphatic urethane gloss enamel, which is specifically designed for maximum gloss & color retention.
So I guess (I'm not bright) that the flagpole cost included some extras, right?
AND THEN CHECK THESE WEBSITES TOO: -
http://www.newsday.com/upstate-village-claims-tallest-flagpole-in-ny-1.1...
http://www.cubany.org/html/flagpole.htm
In short, the Allegany Chamber of Commerce (Cuba N.Y.) in the US, organinzed a project to install a 150ft flagpole and flag. The estimate for the project was USD 40,000.00. The stadium flagpole is 15ft higher!
SO IN ALL CONSCIENCE, HOW DID THIS BILL ADD UP TO TTD 2,000,000.00 OR USD 320,000.00?

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2009, 08:33:29 PM »
Two facebook groups have sprung up over the issue....

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=169502526861&ref=mf

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=166853783524&ref=mf

and I created an online petition which is on both facebook pages....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2009, 12:34:12 PM »

Hello...Petition gyal   ;)

One of your other petitioners on the $2M flag showing off WE flag on their petition website.

Wuz dah one?  lol  Can you fix your fellow petitioner?  It better not be you!!  And look which stadium it in to boot!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/gary-hunt-must-go

CITIZENS AGAINST THE $2M FLAG
Target:The Hon. Minister of Sports Mr. Gary Hunt
Sponsored by: Patricia Smart
We, the citizens of Trinidad and Tobago have had enough with the wasteful spending of OUR money. 

Let's show Minister Gary Hunt, The Excecutive Chairman of the SPORTT Company Mr. Kenneth Charles and Executive Director Darren Millien that we must be accounted to and are not to be treated as fools.

Enough is Enough!!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2009, 12:35:05 PM »
waittttttttt!!!!
I now seeing the name    :rotfl:

Hello...Petition gyal   ;)

One of your other petitioners on the $2M flag showing off WE flag on their petition website.

Wuz dah one?  lol  Can you fix your fellow petitioner?  It better not be you!!  And look which stadium it in to boot!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/gary-hunt-must-go

CITIZENS AGAINST THE $2M FLAG
Target:The Hon. Minister of Sports Mr. Gary Hunt
Sponsored by: Patricia Smart
We, the citizens of Trinidad and Tobago have had enough with the wasteful spending of OUR money. 

Let's show Minister Gary Hunt, The Excecutive Chairman of the SPORTT Company Mr. Kenneth Charles and Executive Director Darren Millien that we must be accounted to and are not to be treated as fools.

Enough is Enough!!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2009, 01:07:30 PM »
I know this is not relating to the topic but is just that i'm seeing adds for WN membership proping up on the forum,are we having problems for members?members are not renewing their membership,some still oweing for 07/08 and we are in 09,who controls this group?what's their function/purpose/contribution?what happen to that huge flag we came to symbolise with T&T Football?would we ever see it again?

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2009, 01:31:04 PM »
@dcs...
Boy.....ah couldn't find another appropriate pic in mih files.....if yuh have one of Gary Hunt organise mih nah...

Other than that....what are my copyright infringement fees??.... ;D ;D

But seriously, I did have some reservations about using the pic so I'll reconsider using it and try to find another pic.... :beermug:

But where you been hiding??...yuh scarce these days boy....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2009, 01:40:50 PM »
Boy.....ah couldn't find another appropriate pic in mih files.....if yuh have one of Gary Hunt organise mih nah...

http://www.triniview.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=413135

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2009, 02:01:58 PM »
Dais what ah wanted, the infamous flag itself....ah goh change it Tallman and dcs... :beermug:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

truetrini

« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2009, 03:47:08 PM »
@dcs...

Other than that....what are my copyright infringement fees??.... ;D ;D

But seriously, I did have some reservations about using the pic so I'll reconsider using it and try to find another pic.... :beermug:

But where you been hiding??...yuh scarce these days boy....

anytime yuh want dcs to show up jes say COrPse or PNM......

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »

Been around...just reading.

Cross...it have no point talking about Trini politics...it defies logic.

I applaud people who are making an effort like Petition gyal but I not seeing any indication more people in the country serious bout the things they complain about.
After Manning's PNM there will be Rowley's PNM....a brilliant handoff strategy that may not have been planned but will work all the same.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2009, 10:41:19 PM »

Been around...just reading.

Cross...it have no point talking about Trini politics...it defies logic.

I applaud people who are making an effort like Petition gyal but I not seeing any indication more people in the country serious bout the things they complain about.
After Manning's PNM there will be Rowley's PNM....a brilliant handoff strategy that may not have been planned but will work all the same.

Many tings in TNT defy logic so just roll wit d punches
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The truth about the $2m flag
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2009, 03:36:54 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oQ1axnYIyjE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oQ1axnYIyjE</a>

1]; } ?>