April 29, 2024, 07:25:29 AM

Author Topic: Giant TT flag a success.  (Read 29127 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Giant TT flag a success.
« on: August 18, 2009, 05:01:34 AM »
Giant TT flag a success.
T&T Newsday Reports.

The Giant Trinidad and Tobago flag, which was supplied by the Patriotic Flag Division of Fireone Fireworks for the re-opening of the Hasely Crawford Stadium and Jean Pierre Sports Complex in Mucurapo, flew proudly over the “sea of red” at the Stadium on August 12.

On that night, Trinidad and Tobago defeated El Salvador 1-0 in a 2010 FIFA World Cup CONCACAF Zone Final Round qualifier. Andre Abraham, Managing Director of Fireone, was in a jubilant mood after the match.

“It was amazing to see our national colours flying high over the Stadium when Cornell Glen scored that winning goal,” he said.

“Every TT supporter at the game must have felt as proud as we did by the success of our team.”

Abraham added that his group felt privileged to be chosen by the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT) to supply the flag and flag-pole installation for the Stadium’s recent upgrade, especially since the World Cup qualifier was staged a few weeks after the hoisting of the massive flag.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Giant TT flag a success.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 06:29:44 AM »
Any pictures?
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Trin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 07:13:42 AM »
yuh cud kinda make it out in the background here

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 07:20:11 AM »

Okay, not as big as the Warrior Nation T&T flag but inspiring all the same! 8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:18:35 AM »

was it there last game. or part of the missing thousands of spectators that didnt come out?

Offline Trin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 09:35:49 AM »
Nah the Warrior Nation flag was present

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 01:23:15 PM »

was it there last game. or part of the missing thousands of spectators that didnt come out?
Waggonist  :-[
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 02:25:40 PM »
u believe i never saw that flag. damn dont know how i missed that............... o right  right eye candy
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 02:28:16 PM »
u believe i never saw that flag. damn dont know how i missed that............... o right  right eye candy

ditto - and them Carib gyul wasn't even worth missing seeing the flag - dem gyul back long like indian movie. No bottom whatsoever.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 03:15:44 PM »
It big like d 1 up by Center of Excellence......... seriously a great sight tuh behold.......saw it few days b4 d game

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hunt: National flag at stadium priceless
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 04:50:49 AM »
Hunt: National flag at stadium priceless
T&T Express

Sport Minister Gary Hunt does not know how much the large flag at the Hasely Crawford Stadium cost the Government. But he believes that one cannot put a price on national pride.

Hunt was responding to a report that the flag cost $2 million during yesterday's post-Cabinet media conference at the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann's.

He said he was sure that the price (whatever it was) was "nothing out of the ordinary" when one considered international best practices and prices. He noted that the flag is 30 feet and took considerable engineering to plant at that height.

"There was a lot of work that had to be done at the foundation level," he said, adding that the Government was proud to erect such a symbol of national pride.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 05:18:32 AM »
Gary Hunt make my blood boil this morning and ah was in a good mood.....stop taking we for blasted fools and tell we the cost of the damn flag!!.... >:( >:(

All these blasted yes men/OJT ministers just insist on trying to BS people with they foolishness.  Hunt could detail the different technical aspects of how the flag was put up but cyar say what the final cost is??!!!....look, look why de the hell I come and read this story this early in the morning and rile me up....sssstttteeeuuuupppppssssss!!!....ah say it before and I'll say it again....Gary Hunt is damn a$$!!!!.... >:( >:( >:(
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 05:40:52 AM »
Isaac strikes again.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 09:12:40 AM »
Gary Hunt make my blood boil this morning and ah was in a good mood.....stop taking we for blasted fools and tell we the cost of the damn flag!!.... >:( >:(

All these blasted yes men/OJT ministers just insist on trying to BS people with they foolishness.  Hunt could detail the different technical aspects of how the flag was put up but cyar say what the final cost is??!!!....look, look why de the hell I come and read this story this early in the morning and rile me up....sssstttteeeuuuupppppssssss!!!....ah say it before and I'll say it again....Gary Hunt is damn a$$!!!!.... >:( >:( >:(

These peeps like water on a duck back once a politician on meh tv switch d channel dat is what I do. I eh want 2 hear none ah dem.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 08:07:34 AM »

haha, d cost start at $2m., let's see how the story begins to change...
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 08:19:18 AM »
Why this flag cost 2 million TT. What type of material is used to make flags. IS the material different from standard flags, hence the cost. There is no design change. The flag design is the same as it was formulated in 1962. Was it made locally or some foreign company. If foreign was it shipped by sea or air. If air, fedex, UPS, etc. Special delivery with insurances. It hard to believe we can't make a flag locally. By the way I like the flag.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 08:25:02 AM »
Why this flag cost 2 million TT. What type of material is used to make flags. IS the material different from standard flags, hence the cost. There is no design change. The flag design is the same as it was formulated in 1962. Was it made locally or some foreign company. If foreign was it shipped by sea or air. If air, fedex, UPS, etc. Special delivery with insurances. It hard to believe we can't make a flag locally. By the way I like the flag.

Deeks yeh is Amstrong I was talking bout in the other thread.

The flag itself would have a cost, but total this up.

Design of foundation.
Design of pole.
This must be done by licensed engineers. Take into consideration overturning moment and wind loads.
Normally 3% of overall costs.
Then the actual construction and fabrication of the thing.

My guess is that it should have cost maximum  200K ttd and that is with kickbacks and paying Calder Hart to stay away.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 08:32:36 AM »
Aye fishs,
                 Even when the gov't try to do something good, they find a way to too-too on themselves.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 08:44:42 AM »
Aye fishs,
                 Even when the gov't try to do something good, they find a way to too-too on themselves.

I can't believe that they spent 2mil to put it up, I'm sure Isaac did not know what it actually cost and he had to reply from the hip thus the inane answer.
If it really cost 2mil , then somebody have to make a jail.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 08:57:46 AM »
fishs,
        there must be some accountability. But to be honest, I ain't see nobody  being  placed under house arrest or given ankle bracelet, far less jail time for an overpriced flag. This TT not US or Canada.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 10:16:32 AM »
Trinidad Guardian

In the hunt for new Sports Minister

By Martin George
Published: 1 Nov 2009

Martin George

The sports Minister should either get a publicist or a PR firm to guide and advise him, or he should just learn to say “No comment.” Each time he opens his mouth to speak, he tends to rub a lot of people the wrong way. The latest imbroglio in his string of ministerial gaffes is the oversized and over-priced national flag erected at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, at a reputed price of around $2,000,000, and still he could not confirm the exact final price. This is from a minister who at first spurned the idea of the government financing the national cricket team in the recent twenty/20 series in India. He said it was a tournament organised by private sector companies, so therefore the private sector had a responsibility to come forward with sponsorship. He then shifted blame to the organisers of the tournament, saying that they had a responsibility for some of the expenses.

logoThen, when the team kept on winning and the lack of official government sponsorship became even more embarrassing, he began to cast about for scapegoats and became even more creative in his excuses. On reaching the final and losing to New South Wales, he is reported to have had the insensitivity and lack of tact, when pressed as to how the government might consider rewarding the team for their performance, by responding: “Well, you know they did not win.” Once again, the goodly minister has missed the point and missed the boat. Of course, we all know they did not win; it does not take Einstein to discover that fact. The idea was that these lads had provided a morale boost and lift for the entire nation by their inspired performances during the tournament. It is such petty, puerile responses which always get this minister in trouble with public opinion all the time.

Being a minister of government saddles you with a greater responsibility to always look at the bigger picture and to act as the bigger person. Of course, the minister must have realised the thinking behind the query, so if it is that at a government level they had not yet discussed it, all he had to do was to offer heartiest congratulations to the team; thank them for their efforts on behalf of the nation, and say that the issue of a reward had not been looked into yet, but he could seek to discuss it. End of story.
Instead, he responds like a mischievous schoolboy, to say: Well, you know they did not win. This minister has had his run-ins with Chaguanas West MP Jack Warner, and has come out on the losing end of most of these bruising battles with Jack. In the embarrassment with the excessive requests for free football tickets and with so many other issues, the goodly Minister of Sports has displayed to the nation a lack of maturity, statesmanship and aplomb, when dealing with national issues.

Compared with some previous Ministers of Sport, he seems to be cut from a different cloth, and appears to be a radical departure from the norms of accepted ministerial diplomacy and sensitivity. He has tried to dredge and shore up his faltering credibility within the national community by scaring up figures to say that the Government provided $650,000 to the T&T cricket team for the tournament, and that the TDC also gave them $100,000, only for him to be discredited by Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board. Chief executive officer Forbes Persaud said no money was given to the team for the Airtel Twenty/20 Championships, and instead, that at the start of the fiscal year, the Government allocated this $650,000 generally to them for development programmes and for all championships throughout the year. Furthermore, he said the promised $100,000 from TDC had not even materialised yet.

How embarrassing; how disingenuous of the minister? Why go through all these devises, ruses and shenanigans in an attempt to hoodwink the public? $650,000 to pay for preparation for all championship tournaments for the year, plus development programmes, yet the same minister seems to have no qualms about trying to justify the erection of a single flag at the National Stadium at a reported cost of almost $2,000,000 dollars! How does one justify that? The explanations he has given make even less sense, as he suggests that this one flag at the stadium is supposed to lift spirits and spark national pride—at a cost of $2,000,000? Is this flag being planted on the moon, or on Mars or Venus? If that were the case, then by all means we could stand with pride and feel this was an expenditure well-justified, but this is not the case. The only thing we may now be recognised for is if we make it into the Guinness Book of Records for having the world’s most expensive flag.

This $2,000,000 is more than three times the $650,000 they boast of having given the cricketers, yet the cricketers have stamped our image, name and brand on so many quarters of the world by their recent performances. They have won the hearts of billions of fans the world over; they have sparked pride in the hearts of nationals in every corner of the globe, in every city, town, village or metropolis where a Trinbagonian heart is beating. They filled us with joy, pride and a sense of achievement, yet all our Minister of Sports could say of them is that they did not win, and could not give a commitment to rewarding them? Yet, he feels justified in rewarding some contractor or service provider with a $2,000,000-contract to erect a flag. If he keeps this up, then when the infamous Johnson poll of ministers’ performance comes around again, we shall definitely be in the hunt for a new Minister of Sports.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 10:21:44 AM »
I can't believe that they spent 2mil to put it up, I'm sure Isaac did not know what it actually cost and he had to reply from the hip thus the inane answer. If it really cost 2mil , then somebody have to make a jail.

Deeks come nah man...surely yuh realise d 2 million is allocated towards the maintainance of the flag and flagpole over the next 20 years...  If yuh look at d specs yuh could see at d bottom of page 5 sub section 3....*warranty-flag shall be serviced for 20 years beginning 2009....

Yuh must read d fine print before yuh start to jail people ....
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 10:24:27 AM »
Aye fishs,

I can't believe that they spent 2mil to put it up, I'm sure Isaac did not know what it actually cost and he had to reply from the hip thus the inane answer.
If it really cost 2mil , then somebody have to make a jail.

If you hear the actual audio clip of him giving his response, he made a freudian slip and said "yes the flag cost $2M".  He then hastily and clumsily corrected himself and said "if" the flag cost $2M.....national pride....yada, yada, yada.....look let me leave this thread eh....mih pressure going up again.... >:( >:(
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 01:53:16 PM by Brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 11:51:18 AM »

Deeks come nah man...surely yuh realise d 2 million is allocated towards the maintainance of the flag and flagpole over the next 20 years...  If yuh look at d specs yuh could see at d bottom of page 5 sub section 3....*warranty-flag shall be serviced for 20 years beginning 2009....

Yuh must read d fine print before yuh start to jail people ....

true true  ;D
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 01:50:05 PM »
GARY KHUNT IS A DOTISH FELLA.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 05:14:08 PM »
Is only poor people going to jail inT&T.
2 mil for a dam flag and it coming wid out ah flag woman.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 05:51:38 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 08:33:35 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 11:24:40 PM »
Trinidad Guardian

In the hunt for new Sports Minister

By Martin George
Published: 1 Nov 2009

Martin George.

^^^ shit article.

No need to even get into specifics.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 11:53:47 PM »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

1]; } ?>