April 27, 2024, 01:38:37 PM

Author Topic: Why is the Caribbean So Strong in Sprint Events?  (Read 5488 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why is the Caribbean So Strong in Sprint Events?
« on: August 19, 2009, 07:59:24 AM »
look at the olympics and the world track championships going on? much of them final fields comprise of caribbean runners.

i have yankee asking me how we so good now that their USA scrunting. but i eh have no answer.

what programs we have that is foster these world class sprinters in the not-so-wealthy caribbean? all i know is we is run from small and sometimes join up with local track club from bout 7. then we run some meets and for sports day in school.

or is the genetics and yam?

Offline Texastrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why is the Caribbean So Strong in Sprint Events?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 08:22:18 AM »
Yam ... weed ..... coo coo .... curry goat .... dumpling ...callaloo and crab .... fete .... walking around barefoot

As plenty ppl outside the caribbean think, we does walk around barefoot in shorts by the beach whole day.  But just maybe our ppl have only really begun to make use of the talent that we have ...

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:44:16 AM »
So what Caribbean countries are you taking credit to "be strong" ??....My country still has alot more work to do , to be considered "strong" ..

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 09:16:46 AM »
It appears to go in cycles. At one point, the Cubans were the one who use to give the US competition in the sprints. JA was always there, Mostly the men. TT use to push in theyselves once in a while. Now JA rules. Cuban scrunting for now. TT still pushing theyselve once in a while. What makes the Cuban and now JA so exceptional are their women who are almost on par with the men. But aye aye, I forget to mention the Bahamas who has surpassed TT in TF. For a small populated country Bahamas has been very good. TT underachieving. Our women has yet to capture an Olympic medal.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 10:00:57 AM »
Jamaica has been great since 1948 when we entered the olys.

We went thru a lean patch in the 1960s and early 1970s. Up till 1979, it was all male in terms of medals. From then on, the Ottey era, the ladies have dominated...right up till Athens, when the men started to emerge again and equaalize.

Jamaica sprinting has almost always been stronger than Cuba's. Cuba had Juantereno in the 400m/800m and Silvio Leonard in the short sprints (Anna Quirot and Calatayud in the middle distance). We have had far more sprinters over the years, while Cuba has been great in boxing and field events/hurdles.

Jamaica is the catalyst for the Caribbean resurgence and the foundation is CHAMPS, as Ato has told you all. Building on Champs, we now have PRO outfits in Jamaica that coach Jakans, Trinis, Antguans, Kittitians and Bajans. On top of that Carifta has created much needed internal rivalries and have given opportunities to talent in other Caribbean islands to be recruited to US colleges. Virtuous circle.

Of all the islands though, Jamaica and Bahamas have the most T&F passion!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 04:25:05 PM by willi »

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 11:41:51 AM »
You could also ask why are other countries so weak...

The top athletes in Europe do not pursue a career in athletics, they play football. Similarly in the US - american football and basketball.

Offline panjazz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 03:11:13 PM »
Genetics and diet

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »

CRIME!  :devil:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline panjazz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 03:17:17 PM »

:rotfl:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 05:38:21 PM »

:rotfl:

Is this why T&T is suddenly producing more & more top class sprinters? :mackdaddy:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 05:49:58 PM »
TT don't even know why or how they producing the few quality athletes. I don't know of any national program to harness the talent. All I know is the individual clubs does try their damnest to harnest the talent. And to be honest we should be thanking the clubs for bringing out the talented few. Also some of the school. QRC, my alma mater comes to mind.

When it comes to TF,  is totally hit and/or miss.  we must take note that TT does not use the entire population to get talent. Only the Afro-Trinis are involved in TF. Why? Central has a stadium for more than 10 years. Where are the clubs and talent from central?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 05:53:05 PM »
Once ah english man asked me this same question with some interesting implications to it.... my response:
' well we tried skiing and  figure skating, ice hockey and biathlon but we cyar make ....
so I wonder why these European countries so good in those sports?

Offline panjazz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 06:40:57 PM »
TT don't even know why or how they producing the few quality athletes. I don't know of any national program to harness the talent. All I know is the individual clubs does try their damnest to harnest the talent. And to be honest we should be thanking the clubs for bringing out the talented few. Also some of the school. QRC, my alma mater comes to mind.

When it comes to TF,  is totally hit and/or miss.  we must take note that TT does not use the entire population to get talent. Only the Afro-Trinis are involved in TF. Why? Central has a stadium for more than 10 years. Where are the clubs and talent from central?

U live in TT?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 07:02:48 PM »
No I in foreign and is a real ball jumbie. Does talk to people back home to keep abreast.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 09:11:44 PM »
Two reasons.

WEST AFRICA.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 09:56:02 PM »
we must take note that TT does not use the entire population to get talent. Only the Afro-Trinis are involved in TF. Why? Central has a stadium for more than 10 years. Where are the clubs and talent from central?

So you want to know where are the Indo-Trini T&F athletes?

India and Pakistan doh make a note in T&F.
Probably for the same reasons.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 10:00:11 PM »
My opinion is based on Trinidad, can't really comment on Jamaica.  The talent was always there but a lot of athletes lost foucs for many reasons.  The success of Ato gave track a big boost and people who would have given up or play another sport (i.e. Richard Thompson) stuck with the sport.  Also more athletes are training in the US now, back in my days a lot of talented athletes (i.e. successful in Carifta Games) could not get scholarhsips for reasons such as very low SAT scores or lack of opportunities.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 10:19:47 PM »
Two reasons:
1. Good organization encourages success.
2. Success breeds success

We are going to have a lot of young kids wanting to be Ato Boldon, Renny Quow, Josanne Lucas, and Jehue Gordon in the near future
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 12:43:08 AM »
we must take note that TT does not use the entire population to get talent. Only the Afro-Trinis are involved in TF. Why? Central has a stadium for more than 10 years. Where are the clubs and talent from central?

So you want to know where are the Indo-Trini T&F athletes?

India and Pakistan doh make a note in T&F.
Probably for the same reasons.

True..but you said "T&F" ( so am assuming Track and Field)...more white athletes are succesful at field events than black athletes..so what would make a talented indo/white/chiness trini so different from them?.. so Deeks have a point we should use our entire population to be more succesful at Track and Field..we must get away from the mentality that Track is the only focus..

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 02:21:12 AM »
You guys are avoiding the elephant in the room...regional rivalry!

TnT, Bah, B'dos and Jamaica like to rival each other. You guys dont see that the rise of Jamaica on the world scene gave inspiration to all? You dont see that Carifta getting just a bit more competive, as nations find their niches? B'dos with their hurdlers. Grenada with 400m runners, TnT overall, Bah and SKN with sprinters, etc....

It's all good and the internal rivalry is having the desired effect for all the region. Jam success is due to the transition of Champs passion to the Pro era. Those coaches in Jamaica are training more than just Jakan runners...just as Mike Oliverre from St. Lucia used to coach in Jamaica. Cross fertilization going on.

Ato and his generation inspired us all (Oba), in that we had TANGIBLE evidence that it could be done by OUR people. He in turn, saw Hasely, DQ and Ottey...plus the diaspora in the form of Christie and Bailey.

Finally, the prerequisite to all this is the possession of the talent in the first place. But talent does not explain why all the success now and not before. Is not like the gene pool has changed in the last decade.

For the record we used to have damn good sprinters in Jamaica with significant Indian, Chinese and White heritage as well.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 09:09:18 AM by willi »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 05:22:58 AM »
Two reasons.

WEST AFRICA.

what is the second reason?
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline keelz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 05:45:54 AM »
bleadman/morain/dillon all under d simplex flag,i think thats a club from south!

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 12:38:27 PM »
The Caribbean? Which Championships have you been watching? You mean Jamaica.

I think that Jamaica's success is due to their organization/infrastructure, youth track and field programs, PASSION/CULTURE and of course Jamaican "Pride".

No I am not a yardie, but lets give Jamaica the credit they deserve. Sure it is an accomplishment for the Caribbean but it is an accomplishment for Jamaica first. Trinis dont hate.

But if this championship is a sign of anything it is that Trinidad T&F is coming up. Trinidad is where Jamaica was in the 1990s.

Oh Sh1t Bolt jus break his 200m - 19.19

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 12:41:11 PM »
Big Up Josanne Lucas !!!!..Now its Renny "Status" Quow turn to bring home a medal !  :beermug:

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 10:09:20 PM »
Two reasons:
1. Good organization encourages success.
2. Success breeds success

We are going to have a lot of young kids wanting to be Ato Boldon, Renny Quow, Josanne Lucas, and Jehue Gordon in the near future

You cant use the words organization, track and Trinidad in the same sentence.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 02:51:37 AM »
When a Trini woman for the first time, and a Bajan male hurdler are on the podium, one at the top, it's the Caribbean. Jamaican anthem playing here like a dub plate though  :rotfl:
BORN TO DO IT

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 05:24:32 AM »
When a Trini woman for the first time, and a Bajan male hurdler are on the podium, one at the top, it's the Caribbean. Jamaican anthem playing here like a dub plate though  :rotfl:

LoL

Dub plate.

Hilarious.

Debbie soon give the Bah something to cheer about. Ronnie will give more silverware to TnT and mabe a medal in the realys as well for Rip Thompson and crew.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 12:00:43 PM »
Two reasons.

WEST AFRICA.

But how come West Africans doh be burning up the tracks in Sprints and when Africans medal in Track it tends to be the athletes from East Africa.....something got infused into us on the trip or wha??.... ??? :-\
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 12:22:31 PM »
Two reasons.

WEST AFRICA.

But how come West Africans doh be burning up the tracks in Sprints and when Africans medal in Track it tends to be the athletes from East Africa.....something got infused into us on the trip or wha??.... ??? :-\

Yeah, the tribes started to inter-breed plus we was always trying to run as fast as could to escape from the slave master!  8)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 12:24:04 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 12:28:27 PM »
Two reasons.

WEST AFRICA.

Yeah, the tribes started to inter-breed plus we was always trying to run as fast as could to escape from the slave master!  8)

Chupsss... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>