April 23, 2024, 02:49:57 AM

Author Topic: The Caribbean is full of Usain Bolts  (Read 3521 times)

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Caribbean is full of Usain Bolts
« on: August 21, 2009, 06:59:20 AM »
As a child growing up in Trinidad and Tobago I was surrounded by athletic talent and potential.  There were footballers (guys and girls) who had mind blowing skills, a lot of fast runners and a lot of very fast runners.  What happened to these kids with great potential?  Different opportunities came knocking; some went on to illustrious careers, some went on to just becoming family men, some went abroad to study and put their athletic career on the back burner, some flat out just wasted it.  The Caribbean is full of Usain Bolts.  All credit has to be given to Usain for his accomplishments because he did it the right way.  Went down the right path that led him to success without major obstacles.  His success is based not only on his God-given talents, and his drive to succeed but also the foundation and building blocks that brought him to that point.  His family, the trainers from when he was a youngster to today, the right people around him are to be commended.  He is truly blessed to be where he is.
Those like Hasely, Don Quarrie, Ato, Merlene amongst others were superb athletes, who broke from the mold, and became successes in their true right.  They did it not only with talent but with drive and dedication.  But a success here and there is no longer acceptable in Caribbean Track and field.  In 2009, where the Caribbean is at the forefront, specifically Jamaica, the other islands are next.  Antigua, Grenada, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago and other islands all have Usain Bolts.  He is not an athletic freak, he is a foundation freak.  To have great talent is not uncommon, but to go down the right roads to reach the goal is.  All future Atos, Usains, Asafas, Richards, Frasers of the Caribbean, use this recent success to follow suit and win.  The Caribbean is full of them.  We as fans, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, family and friends let's properly support our athletes, and give them the proper building blocks.  When you see talent, nurture it, and set it on the right path.  Don't let it get caught up in guns, drugs, alcohol or just laziness.  Our time is coming.  As much as it is up to the athletes, it's up to those around him/her too.
whey boy!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Re: The Caribbean is full of Usain Bolts
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 08:25:46 AM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Jamaica has shown that a good program will dominate. Anyone, even the big USA.

The other islands show that without a program, it will be sporadic.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 10:47:28 AM »
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Jamaica has shown that a good program will dominate. Anyone, even the big USA.

The other islands show that without a program, it will be sporadic.

Dis was something i was going to ask in a new thread but might as well do it here.

What would need to be put in place to create a good program here? I know more likely than not..in the aftermath of the Olympics etc that you probably made suggestions. Are the current results due to some aspects of this..or jus fluke?

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 11:25:15 AM »
we need ah TnT Track Star to come back and start an Academy to groom track and field atheletes
without Government intervention atall atall.......raise private funding
something like that could work,

right Ato ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:27:29 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 12:38:55 PM »
we need ah TnT Track Star to come back and start an Academy to groom track and field atheletes
without Government intervention atall atall.......raise private funding
something like that could work,

right Ato ;)

Track is a part of Jamaica's culture.
Here is a clip from the annual boys champs held at the national stadium. I estimate about 30,000 fans in the stadium. Idont think you find this kind of support for high school athletes anywhere else in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voueiqYxDgk&feature=related

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:44:19 PM by reggae-fan »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 12:50:41 PM »
RF, that is a very good turn out for track
when i was in TnT track used to draw big crowds
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »
As a child growing up in Trinidad and Tobago I was surrounded by athletic talent and potential.  There were footballers (guys and girls) who had mind blowing skills, a lot of fast runners and a lot of very fast runners.  What happened to these kids with great potential?  Different opportunities came knocking; some went on to illustrious careers, some went on to just becoming family men, some went abroad to study and put their athletic career on the back burner, some flat out just wasted it.  The Caribbean is full of Usain Bolts.  All credit has to be given to Usain for his accomplishments because he did it the right way.  Went down the right path that led him to success without major obstacles.  His success is based not only on his God-given talents, and his drive to succeed but also the foundation and building blocks that brought him to that point.  His family, the trainers from when he was a youngster to today, the right people around him are to be commended.  He is truly blessed to be where he is.
Those like Hasely, Don Quarrie, Ato, Merlene amongst others were superb athletes, who broke from the mold, and became successes in their true right.  They did it not only with talent but with drive and dedication.  But a success here and there is no longer acceptable in Caribbean Track and field.  In 2009, where the Caribbean is at the forefront, specifically Jamaica, the other islands are next.  Antigua, Grenada, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago and other islands all have Usain Bolts.  He is not an athletic freak, he is a foundation freak.  To have great talent is not uncommon, but to go down the right roads to reach the goal is.  All future Atos, Usains, Asafas, Richards, Frasers of the Caribbean, use this recent success to follow suit and win.  The Caribbean is full of them.  We as fans, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, family and friends let's properly support our athletes, and give them the proper building blocks.  When you see talent, nurture it, and set it on the right path.  Don't let it get caught up in guns, drugs, alcohol or just laziness.  Our time is coming.  As much as it is up to the athletes, it's up to those around him/her too.

With all due respect. There is only one Usain Bolt. His kind does not grow on trees anywhere!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 01:31:41 PM »

With all due respect. There is only one Usain Bolt. His kind does not grow on trees anywhere!

Maybe the title of this thread would better read "The Caribbean is full of potential Usain Bolts"
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 01:40:37 PM »

Maybe the title of this thread would better read "The Caribbean is full of potential Usain Bolts"

Ur right, definitely only one Usain Bolt, but the talent and potential of Usain Bolt exists in all the islands...Jamaica included may have 4 other Usain-level talents but they may not have gone down the same path he did.  The cards are simply dealt differently, but track and field talent is plentiful in the Caribbean.  Harbouring that talent now...
whey boy!

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 03:57:09 PM »
Plentiful yes, but dont fool yourself. Talent like UB comes along once every 100 years or so.

Jamaica lucked out.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 06:45:55 PM »
Plentiful yes, but dont fool yourself. Talent like UB comes along once every 100 years or so.

Jamaica lucked out.
Once every one hundred years plezzzzzz ,it never  came around  ever .lol one of a kind. :notworthy

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 03:06:44 AM »

Jamaica lucked out.
Once every one hundred years plezzzzzz ,it never  came around  ever .lol one of a kind. :notworthy

I was being conservative.

Yuh correct!

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 08:18:54 AM »
Not 30,000 for a high school meet though. I remember Carl Lewis coming to run in a meet at the HCS in his heyday 83-84 and the stadium was not full. Far less for Secondary school championships. The place was practically empty except for the participants.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 11:36:30 AM »
I don't know about it having endless Usain Bolts because the Athletics World (100m) has probably never seen that exceptional talent anywhere. JAmaica will continue to produce as long as they have a continuous programme in place. Programmes are just to facilitate talent. If the hard work is there Talent will prevail. But what I have seen is that many Talented individuals have fallen away due to unwillingness to work for success.

In my Sport which I have spent considerable years working with many a person, the greater talent normally don't push on because it all came easy , the ones with not much keep pushing because they knew how to persevere.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 02:53:40 PM »
people forgetting that hasley did it before any jamaican runner, of course there are very talented athletes all around the caribbean and trinidad most likely has one or will produce one of usains ability because we have always produced runners. The problem with tt is our government are jokers and with no program you cant do anything, its amazing we are still 2nd in the world with almost zero support, unlike jamaica.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 03:22:52 PM »
What support you think MVP athletes get in Jamaica?

Jamaica was 2nd in a foto-finish in the 100m in 1948 or 1952. Herb McKenley.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 03:36:25 PM »
The program is there but someone has to have the balls to implement it, even if it will mean stepping on old toes.

I doh give a shit bout nobody foot, only performance
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »
The program is there but someone has to have the balls to implement it, even if it will mean stepping on old toes.

I doh give a shit bout nobody foot, only performance

well said bro :beermug: but its harder to get rid of the ole boys club sometimes, which is needed for progression

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 09:09:01 PM »
What support you think MVP athletes get in Jamaica?

Jamaica was 2nd in a foto-finish in the 100m in 1948 or 1952. Herb McKenley.

2nd is not gold, so come again sah... hasley is and will always be the first, T&T was there before and will be there afterwards, God willing

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 10:36:55 PM »
people forgetting that hasley did it before any jamaican runner, of course there are very talented athletes all around the caribbean and trinidad most likely has one or will produce one of usains ability because we have always produced runners. The problem with tt is our government are jokers and with no program you cant do anything, its amazing we are still 2nd in the world with almost zero support, unlike jamaica.

We need local organizations and parents that are committed to success and not politics.  And we have to stop blaming government for everything and take responsibility.  What role did the government have in the promising Tobagonians that making it - Lucas, Baptiste, Quow.  For a little island that is a promising development.  All T&T should be proud.  Local coaching, parents instilling drive and making the effort to take the kids to track meets and track clubs.  Coaches that value success in the athletes and not showmanship.  That is where success begins.  Government can't do that.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 03:21:40 AM »

Yeah I know a couple Usain Bolts. On is a stevedore from Grenada and another is a saga boy from dong south.  ;)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 08:45:15 AM »
Not 30,000 for a high school meet though. I remember Carl Lewis coming to run in a meet at the HCS in his heyday 83-84 and the stadium was not full. Far less for Secondary school championships. The place was practically empty except for the participants.

Precisely.

A host of elite runners came to the island then. Names like Sydney Maree and Joaquim Cruz, and several cream of the crop hurdlers and sprinters. The only event that probably didn't have any traction was the steeplechase. I venture to say the water jump never had any water in it unless it rained. It's almost criminal to think about the lack of guidance, infrastructure, and support that existed.

For athletes there were some positives, but there should have been many, many more.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 08:50:11 AM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>