March 28, 2024, 04:38:34 PM

Author Topic: Mr. Warner taxes  (Read 2834 times)

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mr. Warner taxes
« on: August 23, 2009, 03:54:30 AM »
Jack Warner: I have nothing to answer.
By: Sasha Mohammed (T&T Express).

Chaguanas West MPJack Warner has declined to reveal whether he has paid tax to the Trinidad and Tobago finance authorities on the millions of dollars profits his family and their companies have made from his activities as a FIFA vice-president.

The questions have been raised by internationlly acclaimed investigative journalist Andrew Jennings who has been involved in an investigation into the powerful World football body that has spanned over two decades, several continents and resulted in major BBC documentaries and a 2006 expose novel, titled Foul.

Jennings, a British-based journalist who was in Trinidad last week conducting an investigative journalism course for regional reporters, gave an exclusive interview to the Sunday Express on the matter.

He said the Trinidad public needs to know whether Warner has paid taxes on these earnings over the past three years.

"Mr Warner and the Board of Inland Revenue should disclose this information in the public interest, because these deals bring shame on Trinidad and Tobago's international reputation and more importantly, they are of public interest to the people of this country since he is a major politician," Jennings said.

He also called for tax disclosure on another Warner-controlled company - LOC Germany 2006 Ltd - and run by Daryan Warner, allegedly set up to harvest the earnings of the 2006 Soca Warriors and took in millions of dollars from qualifying round ticket sales, TV rights and from sponsors. Most of the squad have still not been paid the money promised in their contracts.

Jennings noted that the Warners have said that the LOC is is a non-profit company but noted:

"That's odd because it has made money and not handed it over to the intendended beneficaries - the Warriors."

He also pointed out that Jack Warner also earns more than TT$600,000 a year from FIFA simply for being a member of the Executive Committee, and according to FIFA rules, it is up to individual members to chose whether they wish to reveal these earnings to their tax authorities back home. Jennings said his investigations have also revealed that Warner earns an estimated TT$600,000 a year from the TT$3,000 a day FIFA pays him when he is travelling on FIFA business. Jennings, who has shown documentation for all his allegations, also pointed out that many FIFA officials are known to leave the money in accounts in Zurich - or repatriate it in cash.

Minutes of a Fifa executive meeting in March 2007 has also shown that Warner, and his son Daryan Warner, were "fined" for secret dealings in ticket sales for the 2006 World Cup. News of the ticket dealings was first disclosed in an Express investigation in 2005.

As Warner is an MP, he is duty bound to declare this money to the Integrity Commission in T&T but the embattled leader of the dissident Ramjack-G faction of the United National Congress refused to answer questions contacted by telephone on Friday morning.

He was specifically asked if he has paid taxes on the profits the Edward Street-based travel agency, Simpaul Travel, made from the 2006 World Cup ticket sales; whether taxes have been paid on the monies owed to the Soca Warriors and if he has paid taxes on his FIFA earnings, as well as declared them to the Integrity Commission.

Warner said:

"Sasha Mohammed, I am not well. I don't know you but you are doing Mr Jennings work. Let Mr Jennings ask those questions, don't do Jennings work. Let Jennings ask me and I will answer. And you can put this in your story. I have nothing to answer."

He then hung up the telephone.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 05:07:20 AM by Flex »
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Mr. Warner taxes
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 03:57:05 AM »
Post your source. Article will be deleted...
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 04:56:12 AM »
Post your source. Article will be deleted...
Flex , the article is in today's express. look here.    http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161521666
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 05:32:13 AM »
Warner must be feel he is Robin Hood.Is just that his motto is ... it is better to receive than to give.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:13:31 AM »
Leave de man alone and let im do what he likes,he has done nuff work for we football,personally if he and his family gain from his work then so be it.I think he is responsible for getting our football to the heights of where we are to-day,he is not responsible for how the players perform.The man even trying to sort out dem rabble-rousers in the UNC. ;D ;D ;D

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 12:36:05 PM »
Leave de man alone and let im do what he likes,he has done nuff work for we football,personally if he and his family gain from his work then so be it.I think he is responsible for getting our football to the heights of where we are to-day,he is not responsible for how the players perform.The man even trying to sort out dem rabble-rousers in the UNC. ;D ;D ;D

What heights is that?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 12:39:50 PM »

If JW were to walk away from football we will be just fine. The TTFF will have no choice but to fall in line with all other sporting bodies in the country who recieve monies from the sport company.

Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »
Quote from: frico on Today at 09:13:31 AM
Leave de man alone and let im do what he likes,he has done nuff work for we football,personally if he and his family gain from his work then so be it.I think he is responsible for getting our football to the heights of where we are to-day,he is not responsible for how the players perform.The man even trying to sort out dem rabble-rousers in the UNC.   

What heights is that?

Must mean depths of the abyss...from which we still trying to recover

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 05:38:52 PM »
No matter how bad things look now,we must remember that we all but made it to Italy in 90,we made Germany in 2006 and we still in the Hex,that is not bad for a little island with 1.3 million people.How many times have we been champions of the Caribbean,how many of our players are playing abroad,come on fellas we are not doing too bad,obviously we should have been doing better and maybe sitting on 10 points now and almost there but our players should take the blame for that. 8) 8) 8)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 05:41:49 PM »
He should run away from we football and we go gr8
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 11:20:11 PM »

Agreed... is high time we make dis man Prime Minister arready.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 11:32:59 PM »

Agreed... is high time we make dis man Prime Minister arready.

And Prime Minister for life no less.

*SEND MORE JACK*   TMBig Mag
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 06:06:54 AM »
Prime Minister for life?We have one already. ;D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 06:35:19 AM »

Leader of d Opposition 4 Life as well so we covered.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 07:19:29 AM »

and we couldnt do no worse than what we have "my dear brothers and sisters". We go lash dem in de north, in de south... blah blah blah.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 11:43:09 AM »

and we couldnt do no worse than what we have "my dear brothers and sisters". We go lash dem in de north, in de south... blah blah blah.
Nah badder wid dat kindah chat mate caz me live inna Hingland,doh tink no way bout wat ah say.Ah mean it ...Prime Minister fuh life,yuh nah see,for betta or fuh wuss. ;D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 01:31:43 PM »
Cyah be grudge d man tax free income is d best kind.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 05:30:37 PM »
No matter how bad things look now,we must remember that we all but made it to Italy in 90,we made Germany in 2006 and we still in the Hex,that is not bad for a little island with 1.3 million people.How many times have we been champions of the Caribbean,how many of our players are playing abroad,come on fellas we are not doing too bad,obviously we should have been doing better and maybe sitting on 10 points now and almost there but our players should take the blame for that. 8) 8) 8)

Yuh know I wish somebody did tell me we only capable of reaching the heights of football every 16 years or so....steups...I could have saved mih self a couple $$ in this WC campaign.... ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 07:01:27 PM »

Yuh know I wish somebody did tell me we only capable of reaching the heights of football every 16 years or so....steups...I could have saved mih self a couple $$ in this WC campaign.... ::)

Cosign dey Brown

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 08:15:44 AM »
So Andrew Jennings was in Trinidad teaching reporters how to do investigative reporting.
While he's done some good to open up the eyes of the public on some of the backroom dealings of FIFA Execs, I think he can find some lucrative and rewarding full-time work in sweet T&T with that $2 BILLION being spent on helicopters, as well as the man that bigger, badder and worse that Jack - the one and only Calder Hart.

Jennings could be a legend in Trinidad.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline scooby

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 05:35:17 PM »
To does that think that Jack Warner is really about helping TnT football you are sadly mistaken that man is all about himself the standard of football in trinidad and tobago has not improved in the last 10yrs maybe more what system have he put in place to assist in the development of the game none that i can see, Eddie Hart in my opinion has done more for football than jack, now he wants to play politician nothing wrong with ambition but at who expense john public and the idiots who are easily bought

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 06:52:08 PM »

So wait! brown sugar you for real , or yuh joshing? i thought all the signs were apperant that TNT wasn't going nowhere near South africa in 2010!

like yuh eh see what goin on ah what, no prep games , the best players getting blanked and latapy experimenting like pancho. doh be suprised if we fail tuh make brazil 2014, or any other WC for that matter.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>