March 28, 2024, 08:19:52 AM

Author Topic: Serie A 09-10  (Read 11688 times)

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
Serie A 09-10
« on: August 23, 2009, 01:01:44 PM »
Serie A 09/10 Preview: Can anyone stop Inter?
Written by Chris Mann

Italian football has been blighted by a series of exposing scandals in recent years; Calciopoli in 2006, the Plusvalenze scandal and the murder of a Lazio fan by police in 2007 all degrading the once esteemed reputation of Serie A.

The 2008/09 season, however, did much to restore people’s faith in Italian football, a campaign free of corruption and legal accusation allowing fans to focus solely on the football on display. Followers of Serie A will be hoping that the league can consolidate the rebuilding of its respectability in 2009/10 in what is set to be one of the most interesting seasons in recent years.

Serie A for dummies
The highest level of Italian football, Serie A is home to some of the world’s most prestigious clubs including Internazionale, Juventus and AC Milan, giants of European football. The cliché goes that Italian football is sluggish and dominated by defensively-minded ideology but the reality is very different, Serie A is a veritable showcase of some of the finest, most tactically astute football the world has to offer. Indeed, a goals-per-game ratio of 2.44 is just 0.02 behind that of the Premier League, the division widely considered to be the most exciting in the world. What was that about boredom?

If Serie A were a footballer…
Paul Gascoigne. Troubled, misunderstood and beset by financial irregularities off the field; consistently beautiful to watch on it.

Last season in a Tweet
Mourinho arrives & Inter make it 4 consecutive titles. Juve & Milan 10 points off pace. Roma struggle. Torino, Reginna & Lecce all down.

Title contenders
Inter will again be favourites to claim the Scudetto, the Nerazzurri seeking their fifth title in as many years. Despite losing his maestro, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Jose Mourinho has strengthened the squad by bringing in Samuel Eto’o, Aliaksandr Hleb, Lucio, Diego Milito and Thiago Motta at knock-down prices, all shrewd signings, and looks set to mount yet another strong challenge for the Serie A title with one of Europe’s strongest squads at his disposal.

Juventus, last season’s runners-up, should also be in the hunt for the title. Despite experimenting with an untested manager in the shape of alumnus Ciro Ferrera, the Biaconeri have recruited Werder Bremen’s Diego and Fiorentina’s Felipe Melo to give the side an added quality. The Turin outfit look set to embark upon the 2009/10 campaign in the best shape they have been in for years and will push Inter all the way.

AC Milan also have their sights set on the title and, like Juventus, have employed an ex-player as manager for the forthcoming season. Leonardo, who is well capable of deposing Mourinho’s as the king of dugout chic, has been installed in his first managerial post and will be hoping to improve on his team’s disappointing 3rd place finish last time around. The consistency of key players like Andrea Pirlo, Alexandre Pato and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar will be central to determining the Rossoneri’s fortunes this season.

European hopefuls
Where the Premiership has it’s top four, Serie A has a distinct top three (Inter, Juve, Milan) who are usually pursued by a large group of clubs all hopeful of securing the fourth Champions League spot or a place in the Europa League. Last season it was Fiorentina who finished fourth, and they will again be in the mix for European qualification, but this season the race for European football is as much of a lottery as it has ever been.

After struggling to a disappointing 6th place last season, Roma will be keen to re-assert themselves as a Champions League force by climbing back into the top four, something of which they have so often been a part in recent years. Genoa, last season’s most improved side will also be looking to build on their 5th place finish and make the step up to the highest level of European football, as will Palermo and, particularly, Lazio, who struggled in the league last year despite winning the Coppa Italia.

Outside bet
Udinese are one of Serie A’s most improved teams of recent seasons and are always seemingly on the cusp of great things. A 7th place finish last season didn’t quite do justice to the level of football the Zebrette (little zebras) played and they’ll be looking to improve on that in the coming campaign. If Pasquale Marino’s side can improve their consistency of performance then there’s every chance they could challenge for a place in the top four and, perhaps, become a dark horse in the title race.

Relegation candidates
Bari, Parma and Livorno were all promoted from Serie B last season and all look set to struggle, Livorno perhaps being the most likely of the three to be sent straight back from whence they came. Bologna struggled last season and were only saved thanks to the superhuman efforts of Marco Di Vaio. Chievo and Catania also floundered in 2008/09 and will need to significantly improve if they’re to steer clear of another relegation scrap this season.

Joker in the pack
It has to be Sampdoria. One of the most inconsistent teams in Serie A, the Genoese side seem to be equally capable of getting relegated as they are of challenging at the top end of the table. Led by the brilliant, if mercurial, Antonio Cassano, Samp finished last season in 13th place, a disappointing return for a team who reached the top six in 2007/08. This term, as is often the case with the Blucerchiati, it is impossible to tell how they will fare.

Solid gold gaffer
Gian Piero Gasperini transformed the fortunes of Genoa last season and will be looking to build upon his side’s 5th placed finish and push on into the top four in 2009/10. After years languishing in the lower leagues and suffering from prolonged spells of mismanagement, Gasperini was appointed in 2006 and has masterminded Genoa’s return to the big time, establishing his team as one of the most consistent and attractive in Serie A.

Despite losing the substantial talents of Diego Milito and Thiago Motta (both of whom have joined Inter), Gasperini has intelligently replenished his squad with the likes of Hernan Crespo and Rodrigo Palacio as he attempts to keep Genoa challenging at the top end of the league.

The man with the golden boot
With last season’s top marksman, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, having moved on to Barcelona, the race for the golden boot is as open as it ever has been this season. Ibrahimovic’s replacement at Inter, Samuel Eto’o, will be amongst the favourites to end the season with the most goals to his name, as will his potential strike partner, Diego Milito, but there are plenty of other names in the picture.

AC Milan’s Brazilian prodigy Alexandre Pato will be looking to improve on his haul of 18 goals from last season, and his new team mate, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, will be out to justify his substantial transfer fee. Other contenders include the evergreen attacking talents of Marco Di Vaio, who scored 24 goals for struggling Bologna last season, and Juve’s Alessandro Del Piero whose eye for goal has not diminished with age. You never know, if Antonio Cassano can improve his consistency and discipline, then he might even be in the running too. Stranger things have happened.

Three to watch

Hernan Crespo (Genoa) – After being frozen out at the San Siro under Mourinho, Crespo has moved to Genoa in an attempt to revive his career. Genoa coach Gian Piero Gasperini has a reputation for transforming the careers of ageing stars, and it would seem that the Argentinean has found a club where he will once again have a chance to show the world what a talented forward he really is as he attempts to fire Genoa into the top four. This might just be Crespo’s season.

Diego (Juventus) – The highest-profile arrival in Serie A this summer, Diego will be hoping to impress the Delle Alpi faithful with performances similar to those that made him one of the Bundesliga’s finest players during his spell with Werder Bremen. If the Brazilian can find his best form and strike up an effective midfield partnership with compatriot Felipe Melo, Juventus might well be able to look forward to enjoying a successful season.

Simon Kjaer (Palermo) – Despite having only turned professional in 2007, Danish centre-back Simon Kjaer has already made quite a name for himself on the continent. After one season playing in his native Denmark for FC Midtjylland, 20 year-old Kjaer signed for Palermo this time last year and made an instant impact, drawing praise for his performances from all sections of the Italian football media. If he can continue his good form this season then a move to a bigger club may well be on the horizon.

It's only kinky the 1st time

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: Serie A 09-10
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 01:34:37 PM »
Milan looked creative yesterday, even though their back line soft.
Ronaldinho was not beating men with his moves but with his passing. Yesterday he had out his slide rule. And given space he was precision.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 08:44:12 AM »
Didn't even realise this Sunday was the Milan derby.

Forza Inter

Més que un club.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 08:47:17 AM »
Milan looked creative yesterday, even though their back line soft.
Ronaldinho was not beating men with his moves but with his passing. Yesterday he had out his slide rule. And given space he was precision.

They still look a step behind the pace.

Pato as usual will be poisonous up top, and he will pull them out of a bunch of games this season.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 08:52:02 AM »
Pato and Ronaldinho are not included in the Brasil squad for the Argentina away game.
Good performances in this game would go a long way to getting their names back on the sheet for the rest of the campaign.

Dunga doh cater for big club, he want to see big performance.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:11:10 AM »
Pato and Ronaldinho are not included in the Brasil squad for the Argentina away game.
Good performances in this game would go a long way to getting their names back on the sheet for the rest of the campaign.

Dunga doh cater for big club, he want to see big performance.

As yuh say dat, study my father call me this weekend to tell me he win ah all expense paid trip for 2 to go Argentina to see that game. He win it by using his Mastercard.

D chupid man go call me to ask me, "What I should do boy?"

Well I real cuss he up.

Més que un club.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 09:19:18 AM »

Well I real cuss he up.

U should apologise to him, then. A son cussing he father, what kinda example u setting for Small Mag? :devil:.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 09:20:50 AM »

As yuh say dat, study my father call me this weekend to tell me he win ah all expense paid trip for 2 to go Argentina to see that game. He win it by using his Mastercard.

Well I real cuss he up.

yuh cuss him up and is ah all expenses paid trip for 2..

you eh give him the favorite son speech yet?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:26:43 AM »

Well I real cuss he up.

nah boy, he brace meh from jump street and tell meh he carrying he wife

Més que un club.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:42:03 AM »

Well I real cuss he up.

nah boy, he brace meh from jump street and tell meh he carrying he wife

So if he done sayin dat den wey de f**k he axin yuh bout wha to do?!!  Daiz ah tief head he try deh aought  :rotfl:

giggsy11

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 08:47:41 AM »
MILAN (AP) - Italy's top flight Serie A clubs confirmed they will split from the second division Serie B sides in an attempt to make up ground on England's Premier League and Spain's La Liga.

The move is based on the English clubs' 1992 breakaway which transformed the sport and made the Premier League the richest in the world.

The leagues will split from the start of the 2010-11 season, meaning the Serie A clubs will no longer have to pay any money to their Serie B counterparts.

There is also the possibility that the clubs, as with England, will negotiate a collective television rights deal. Currently they negotiate individually, resulting in the larger clubs, such as AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus, taking the bulk of the money and leaving little for the rest.

Over the summer there was great embarrassment in Italy when two of its biggest stars - Milan's Kaka and Inter's Zlatan Ibrahimovic - moved to clubs in Spain, seen as further indication of the dwindling power of the once mighty Italian league.

The split was approved in July but was ratified on Tuesday after a meeting of club presidents. Maurizio Beretta was elected president for the two divisions, but they will operate as separate entities.

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 12:27:34 PM »
aye!!! too much football to watch...ah up at 7:30 only get up to pee and eat so far. this was d league to watch in d 90s this yr they have alot of work to do to get ppl back watchin this needs to b a good game. juve all d way though

giggsy11

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 01:03:13 PM »
Damn Dinho ah think you missed the water!

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 01:10:49 PM »
game settle down now...nesta reall getting on...the man is class boy, real elegant...every game i see inter play tho, 2 men who seemingly dont put a foot wrong is zanetti and maicon...walter samuel playing today i hope ronaldinho or pato dont turn him up and injure he knee the way kaka did last year

Offline TriniItalian

• Sr. Warrior
  • Never Wait to Procrastinate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 11:04:38 PM »
game settle down now...nesta reall getting on...the man is class boy, real elegant...every game i see inter play tho, 2 men who seemingly dont put a foot wrong is zanetti and maicon...walter samuel playing today i hope ronaldinho or pato dont turn him up and injure he knee the way kaka did last year

no need to worry about that! they hardly make it into the box lol
A.W.A.T.T. INFORMANT

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 10:54:34 AM »
wat appen?!! dey doh play ball in italy too? stewps...Roma-Juve..it hot it hot!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 11:34:01 AM »
Diego in fantastic form. I think we may see him in the Brazil vs Argentina clash, which would mean Robinho on the bench.

Juv vs Roma looks a very even game, not to mention the quality. Excellent game.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 12:08:52 PM »
Yesterday I said AC vs Inter needs to be an advertisement for Serie A and we saw how terrible that turned out. Who knew we'd get the advertisement today, what a game!

Juve Juve Juve!!! Diego have a lot to prove and what a way he started...all d top teams in Italy playin that 4-3-1-2 this year and is big players in d role of the '1' such as Sneijder, Diego, Ronaldinho. I think once he has a better season than those 2 Juve will have d title, I know football not as simple as that but those d guys gonna make those teams tick.

Anyway I watched like 8 games this weeken let me try to do something on d Sunday evening...bless

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 09:59:57 AM »
Man AC lost that game because of 3 people:
1. Jankulovski. Geez I haven't seen a wing back play that bad since Akilie Edwards. All the goals came down his side.
2. Pirlo. He has to hang it up or get fit. The man work rate was worse than Ronaldinho's. He has looked dreadful the last 2 years.
3. Leonardo. He needs to pick a better starting 11 man. Why didn't Hunt start? Gattuso looks like he has one foot in the footballing grave and he starts ahead of Ambrosini? Where are Seedorf and Abate? Flamini can play at wingback, we need his workrate back there.

Why oh why didn't we sign Cissoko? Since when is a dental problem cause to end a transfer?

This game had me real depressed.

And that Juve game was bossss. Exciting as any EPL game. Diego looked classy
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 10:14:06 AM »
Diego's goal was a beauty.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 11:58:15 AM »
Trezeguet to leave Juventus at end of season
ROME, Sept 3 (Reuters) - David Trezeguet plans to leave Serie A club Juventus at the end of the season, the former France striker said on Thursday.

“I’ve decided to end my adventure at Juventus in June,” the 31-year-old, who grew up in Argentina, told reporters.

“I spoke about it first to my family and we decided to return home. I don’t know (whether to France or Argentina). After 10 years here at Juventus I think it’s the right time to leave.”

The striker, part of France’s victorious 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000 campaigns, joined Juve from Monaco in 2000.

He won the 2002 and 2003 Serie A titles in Turin and his goals helped the club back into the top flight after they were relegated and stripped of two league crowns in 2006 for their part in Italy’s match-fixing scandal.

Trezeguet was linked to AC Milan in the close season after falling down the pecking order under former coach Claudio Ranieri last term but he said he could not betray Juve by moving to their Serie A rivals.

New boss Ciro Ferrara did not field him in Juve’s victories in their first two league games this season but the Frenchman remained upbeat.

“I haven’t played much up to now, but my time will come,” he said. “The bench is a stimulant for me to train and give my all. I’m going to enjoy this season. I don’t feel cast aside.”

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 02:56:21 PM »
another win for Juve, though without d excitement of d Roman win. 2 wins in Rome for d season will show we have d credentials for titles this yr though. Milan draw..tsk tsk thats all i'll say about that team.
Goal for Trez and debuts for Grosso and Caceres...Champions league this week

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 08:34:13 AM »
Inter 1-0 up on Parma, Eto"o notches his second, golasso from outside the box.  Inter not looking too good though, chose one has some work to do
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 08:58:28 AM »
Inter 1-0 up on Parma, Eto"o notches his second, golasso from outside the box.  Inter not looking too good though, chose one has some work to do

Best do that work quick then cuz Barca comin in a few days. D strikers scorin though, that front line will trouble ppl with Eto'o, Milito, Sneidjer, Balotelli etc...i saw Suazo on d bench today didnt realise he still on tha side all kinda ting.

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 11:36:52 AM »
D juve train keep rollin along (is that y all d AC and Inter ppl quiet?).
Buffon didnt look like himself when he came back from injury last yr...but now he looks like d boss I know. 

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
Buffon didnt look like himself when he came back from injury last yr...but now he looks like d boss I know. 

Buffon was amazing! As a matter of fact he kept Juv. in the game.
Yes Juv. got the result but they did not look convincing, they basically
scored on their only chances. Losing Diego probably did not help.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 11:53:59 AM »

Juve will do well to make it to the 2nd round of CL.

Dey eh winnin Il Scudetto dis season.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 12:28:32 PM »
Italian chief wants games halted for racist chants

ROME (AFP) - Italian Footballers Association (AIC) president Sergio Campana on Monday called for referees to apply the rules and suspend a game if fans hurl racial abuse at players.

Inter Milan strikers Samuel Eto'o, a Cameroonian, and Mario Balotelli, an Italian of Ghanaian origin, were abused by home fans during Sunday's 2-1 victory at Cagliari and Campana said if the referee had done his job, he should have stopped the game.

"Faced with this type of behaviour, referees should suspend the match, something which did not happen in Cagliari," he said.

"In these cases the rules are very clear. Suspension of matches are part of the rules and rules have to be respected."

Following Campana's comments the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) clarified that a game can only be suspended for such an incident on the orders of the officer in charge of public order within the ground, whose role it is to inform the referee via one of his assistants or the fourth official that the game should be halted.

It is not the first time that Balotelli has been the target of such terrace chants in Italy. Last year Juventus were hit with a penalty forcing them to play a game behind closed doors after their fans dished out abuse to the young striker.

Eto'o was also the focus of repeated racist abuse during his time in Spain, once threatening to walk off the pitch in a match against Real Zaragoza until team-mates, opponents and the referee alike convinced him to play on.

"I believe such a gesture (suspending a match) would be very constructive on the referee's part and would set an important precedent," added Campana.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 12:35:02 PM »

Lo Scudetto  ;) :beermug:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 04:57:13 PM »

Lo Scudetto  ;) :beermug:

Thanx fuh de correction breds... :beermug:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

1]; } ?>