April 29, 2024, 02:54:34 AM

Author Topic: CIC / St. Mary's 1972 Football Memories  (Read 11616 times)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CIC / St. Mary's 1972 Football Memories
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 08:28:57 AM »
Trevor all joke aside you were a boss keeper. It is a pity Tech. of that era was unstoppable. Who could forget the Tech. QRC game at the Oval. Dam! What an exhibition. St Mary's though had a nice balanced squad and could have been more competitive were it not for the ban.

rumour had it that at least of of the Tech players was over-aged ...

Lets be honest if you were to check every school in T&T in dem times you would have found an overage player. It may still be so.

doh worry wid he. Was licks from ah side when that south team pass through!  :angel:

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 08:32:30 AM »
Trevor all joke aside you were a boss keeper. It is a pity Tech. of that era was unstoppable. Who could forget the Tech. QRC game at the Oval. Dam! What an exhibition. St Mary's though had a nice balanced squad and could have been more competitive were it not for the ban.

rumour had it that at least of of the Tech players was over-aged ...

Lets be honest if you were to check every school in T&T in dem times you would have found an overage player. It may still be so.

doh worry wid he. Was licks from ah side when that south team pass through!  :angel:

Nah breds Tech get ban for years for having the overage players, the tech team used to read like the national team and had men 20yrs old . Ah think Monty Douglas was one of the overage players ah could be wrong.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 08:39:34 AM »
Many of the CIC players from 1970 and 1971 went on to do pretty well in life.  The following is a partial list of the guys and their life’s path.

•   Luciano Woodley – He became the owner of his insurance company.  He died last year of Lou
Garrick’s disease.  In his later years, he coached women’s soccer in Trinidad.
•   Keston Nancoo – He is presently a vice president of a major insurance company in Trinidad.  He was the interim chair of the T&T Carnival Committee in 2007-2008. 
•   Keith Lookloy – You probably know about his football involvements
•   Hannibal Najjar – You are aware of his story.  He now lives in St. Louis, MO.
•   Neil Williams – He went on a soccer scholarship to Howard University.  He earned an MBA, and is now a manager in T&TEC.
•   Frankie Stone – He is a bank manager in Trinidad.
•   Miguel Hospedales – I know he holds a pretty good job in Trinidad.  His family is the ones behind the Jahbloteh Club.
•   Dennis Philip – He holds a very good position in the T&T financial public sector.  He is an economist.  He is very much involved with Birdsong Steelband.
•   Murchison Pierre – I believe he is a surveyor in Trinidad.
•   Stephen Giddings – He went on a track scholarship to a university in Texas.  I never heard about him since his departure.
•   Wayne Callender – I think he became a surveyor.  He now lives in England.
•   Gary Almondoz – He holds a managerial position in Trinidad.
•   David Edgehill – He has done very well too.  I am not sure if he is in Trinidad presently.
•   Tony Jobes – He is an assistant manager with Neal and Massy Rentals.  I know he was very active with football in Central, Trinidad. 
•   Herman Demas – He died years ago from cancer.   
•   Trevor Leiba – I know the most about him.  He went to Howard University on a scholarship in 1974.  He has been living in the Washington, DC area since.
•   Alvin Corneal (Coach) - You know his bio.
•   Azlan Khan (Sports Master) – He migrated with Pecan and the rest of the family to Canada.  I believe he continued teaching and is now retired.

Trevor

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2009, 12:43:13 PM »
Boss thread  :beermug:

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2009, 01:34:02 PM »
Boss thread  :beermug:
True dat...thanks for the memories and updates, Pecan & Trevor

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 01:43:26 PM »
Thanks guys.  I am glad that I found the yearbook. Then it took me a couple a months to finally scan and post it.

Trevor . .thanks for the updates  :beermug: :beermug:

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 06:56:51 PM »
I think David Edgehill works with the TT foreign services. External Affairs?

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2009, 06:55:22 AM »
 Pecan, Trevor and Deeks , can you guys jog mih many years of alcohol reduced memory ?
Give me some names of the 1972 QRC team if you can.
I only seem to remember Michael Grayson, Curry (Ferdinand) maybe Dave Delandrox and the keeper name was Guy?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2009, 07:47:40 AM »
Fishs,
             I can't even remember all of them. We never used to take team pictures. Our sport program was at the lowest. We were a government school and we did not have tractor to cut and roll the grounds at one point. We had to borrow on from Geo V. I think is David Barrow, "goats" Allen,Steve Jacobs, Charles Wilson, Steve Williams, Wayne LaPierre, Ken Davis, Alsstrom??? Well of course, Mike Grayson.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2009, 07:57:09 AM »
Fishs,
             I can't even remember all of them. We never used to take team pictures. Our sport program was at the lowest. We were a government school and we did not have tractor to cut and roll the grounds at one point. We had to borrow on from Geo V. I think is David Barrow, "goats" Allen,Steve Jacobs, Charles Wilson, Steve Williams, Wayne LaPierre, Ken Davis, Alsstrom??? Well of course, Mike Grayson.

Yeah Deeks that sounding like some of the team.
It was a shamefull thing until Earl Best came and took an interest.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »
Pecan,

Many people remind me about that save of me turning in mid year.  Maybe I should keep the myth alive that I did turn in mid year.  However, I must admit I did not turn in mid year; I was very much on the groundWhen I coach young keepers today, I tell them about that particular save and the importance of being on the ground, having good balance, and using deep knee bending in order to change direction quickly. 

What occurred – Leroy Spann struck a shot that deflected off Keith Lookloy.  I was moving to the left, and due to the deflection, I had to dive back right to make the save.

awww hawww so yuh make that save round November and not in June as the legend does go?

I read this thing a couple times before restoring FF's sanity, yes. ;D  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Anyhow ...

Trevor, I swear I see Shaka turn in mid-year air (in November  :)) ...

Serious thing doh!!! Howard v. Philadelphia Textile ... I cyah imagine either foot was grounded (and dahis how I've been telling the story ever since. lol). One of the finest saves I've seen.

Maybe you or tempo could correck meh.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »
Fishs,

Yeah Deeks that sounding like some of the team.

Ian "Nello" Nelson was the goalkeeper he now in Oklahoma a computer analyst I think.His brother Lem Nelson was a big player for QRC in the mid 80's.he now own a big garage in St James.

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »
Asylumseeker,

I cannot remember Howard playing Philadelphia Textile in Shaka's time.  Where was the game played?  If he did appear to twist in mid year, I am sure he moved from the ground.

Trevor

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 02:46:19 PM »
Asylumseeker,

I cannot remember Howard playing Philadelphia Textile in Shaka's time.  Where was the game played?  If he did appear to twist in mid year, I am sure he moved from the ground.

Trevor

Trev,
        Yes I think it was Philly Textile, alright.    I saw that game on campus. It was a nail-biter. We win on pks. Shaka was outstanding that game. Philly Textile is now Philly U, In the 70s they were a top team.

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 02:53:17 PM »
Deeks,

Did Shaka kick a penalty too? 

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2012, 03:09:29 PM »
Deeks,

Did Shaka kick a penalty too? 

I want to say yes, but I am not sure.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2012, 05:09:42 PM »
Pecan, Trevor and Deeks , can you guys jog mih many years of alcohol reduced memory ?
I only seem to remember Michael Grayson, Curry (Ferdinand) maybe Dave Delandrox and the keeper name was Guy?
Guy Beckles was my team '70 goalie ...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »

Guy was QRC gk in 72. We went to north inter-col final and lost 1-0 to Tranquil. Iconic free kick from MacIntyre. Guy saved well for us that season. That was my only intercol final. It was bitter sweet. Tried two other times and lost to Tranquil in the semis. He did get a scolarship to Dartmouth or Brown the next year. He was also a good hurdler. I saw him in NY panorama this year. Still the same Guy. Just a little greyer.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2012, 09:54:48 PM »
Asylumseeker,

Trevor

Trev,
        Yes I think it was Philly Textile, alright.    I saw that game on campus. It was a nail-biter. We win on pks. Shaka was outstanding that game. Philly Textile is now Philly U, In the 70s they were a top team.

Philly Textile without a doubt. BIG GAME!

The save I'm referring to was HUGE. Howard was defending the goal @ the Cramton End. right about then, there was a lot of lateral movement of the ball by PT, but no significant penetration. Then came a well-struck ball from distance. To meet the ball, Shaka was airborne and committed to his right ... and extended. 

The ball in flight seemed destined to end up on the side to which he had committed ... and, his reaction appropriate ... THEN, SUDDENLY, the ball deviated to the left ... top shelf, almost left V, but not quite.

Shaka contorted and propelled himself from being fully committed to his right ... to digging de ball out from his far left. Before he hit the ground, de cameramen were busy. Flash-flash-flash-flash. Prior to that, I din even know dem men was at de game.

Nail biter fuh sure.

I remember that game because it was the moment I knew Shaka was destined for a bigger stage. Good, good talk. It was phenomenal. Very emotional game (and dahis using a Yardman barometer).   
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:57:49 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 05:50:16 AM »
What d Jail iz tis....sadest just run he mouth dey.... ;D

St.Mary's iz ah bunch ah ferries

GO Q.R.C. GO
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2012, 05:53:48 AM »

Darkers....what become of Mr.Best..he still writing he news articles with Kwame??
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2012, 08:36:18 AM »
Asylumseeker,

If it is the same match I am thinking of, Shaka did have a fantastic game.  As Deeks said, the game came down to penalities, and Howard won on the kicks.  I am pretty sure Shaka scored a penalty.  By the way, Shaka was a deadly outside player too.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2012, 09:17:05 AM »

Guy was QRC gk in 72. We went to north inter-col final and lost 1-0 to Tranquil. Iconic free kick from MacIntyre. Guy saved well for us that season. That was my only intercol final. It was bitter sweet. Tried two other times and lost to Tranquil in the semis. He did get a scolarship to Dartmouth or Brown the next year. He was also a good hurdler. I saw him in NY panorama this year. Still the same Guy. Just a little greyer.
Story time:
  I only played 2nd 11..Mr Best saw it fit to punish me for disrespect in Spanish class, by not running me out 1st 11, even though I was top scorer in 2nd 11. That year, the 2 strikers for us was myself and Gray.
actually ah lie, he put me on a 1st 11 match against Tranquil, and the ref kicked me off, cause Earl forgot to put my name on subs list. The entire supporters crowd(including whole ah Belmont) found it quite funny, especially as I was the only player with the old washout uniform.. :laugh:
I didn't let it stop me..the final straw was against Belmont Inter. Semi,in the Oval. I was told to warm-up, game was close...whole 1st half I streching, sprinting, then at the half, he subbed in Gray, and somebody else...was it u Deeks ? and told me to continue warming up..Meanwhile all meh partners heckling(including Watap and Andre, Trev)...well I broke down then...I went up in the stands...and that was the end of my football in TT. We lost on pks to belmont..Jap, LaForests, Wayne Lewis etc..our Team was the Barrow brothers, Butcher brothers, Thompson brothers, (there is a game with brothers), Jumba, Gray...that's all I remember..I didn't have the skill of most players then, came later, i was just fast

add about punishment: In Spanish class, he was benching man for unruly behaviour, I had a headache and put my head down on desk...He say situp straight, but me an meh fass mouth, say " This ain't no army papa"...He say "Take the bench" - meaning get up on the bench...I say " Take it, and put it where, sargeant"...ah get cane from Garcia for that..and it was downhill for me after that, especially when he became 1st 11 coach...get cane 4 x & suspended 2, that last year..I was young and foolish, but had fell into a culture at the then QRC of free period, and just not caring...another reason why my parents off me to this Cold-ass country, where I discovered how good I could have been in TT...and decided then it was not to late to wake up. Spent the next 35 yrs trying to get back, but alas now, not feasible

No regrets how things turned out doh....definately was for the BEST ...lol...nuf respect still...he was one of my hero ballers along with Sheppy, Sheldon Gomes, Rolf Clarke, Mac, Springer brothers..Guy & myself competed in High Jump..found him to be super cool and very encouraging, mature beyond his years....don't mean to highjack Saints thread..Glad to see my Saints friends in pics and story still.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:19:39 AM by maxg »

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2012, 09:52:52 AM »
why dem QRC fellas hijack ah saints thread.....guess de jealousy still exists...

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2012, 10:01:18 AM »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2012, 11:57:19 PM »
why dem QRC fellas hijack ah saints thread.....guess de jealousy still exists...
Nah, that not jealousy , just respect...we all know who used to rule the roost, or do we ? Watch here come dem Benedict's man dem now. ::)

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2012, 07:16:01 AM »
Maxg,

I am sorry you never played on a first-eleven game.  Ah know you were a track man.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »
Maxg,

I am sorry you never played on a first-eleven game.  Ah know you were a track man.
nah, I was just fast, I just had a talent, but wasn't a good athlete..I actually discovered I was a better footballer, just to late for TT.

It took a race against Crawfie, Harvey Glance & Steve Riddick to really show me, Track wasn't for me...Although, deeks could attest Grayson gave me an early warning...I knew I could never do what it took to be that fast.
I turned to football fulltime then....anyway, I admired all you guys(my stars, cause I knew you) back home..especially the Boulevard crew.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2012, 04:46:42 PM »
Maxg,

nah, I was just fast, I just had a talent, but wasn't a good athlete..I actually discovered I was a better footballer, just to late for TT.

It took a race against Crawfie, Harvey Glance & Steve Riddick to really show me, Track wasn't for me...Although, deeks could attest Grayson gave me an early warning...I knew I could never do what it took to be that fast.
I turned to football fulltime then....anyway, I admired all you guys(my stars, cause I knew you) back home..especially the Boulevard crew.

I remember Maxg, he was 2 yrs above me. We did play 2nd XI together. I always remember the freak goal (a la Roberto Carlos) he scored on Gregory Gomez in an encounter at our grounds. Max running down a ball down the left side. We taught it going out. But with speed he catch it close by the corner flag and swing the left foot. It was a hard cross and a bit high and Gregory misjudged,  all of us misjudged thinking it going over bars. But the ball ride the cross bar and ended up in the net. We won 1-0.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »
Judging from this thread Tranquil had a boss side back in the day.

What ever happened to them to be a non factor for the last 30 plus years.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>