April 29, 2024, 01:24:09 AM

Author Topic: Violence erupts at London derby  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Violence erupts at London derby
« on: August 25, 2009, 03:00:52 PM »
Violence erupts at London derby

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8221451.stm

A man has been stabbed in the chest during violence involving "hundreds" of fans outside West Ham's Upton Park stadium during a game with Millwall.

Fights broke out at 1915 BST and were still raging more than an hour later. A 44-year-old man was stabbed in nearby Priory Road at about 2025 BST.

A fan told the BBC it was the worst hooliganism he had seen in 30 years.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "It looks like there has been some planned trouble from fans."

He added: "Hundreds of fans are estimated to be involved."

The stab victim is said to be in a stable condition.

Millwall fan
One pub reportedly had its windows broken by bricks during running battles across several streets up to half a mile from the stadium.

Five arrests have been confirmed, including one for affray and one for breaching a banning order.

British Transport Police said they heard reports of minor overcrowding at Upton Park Tube station.

BBC radio reporter Ben Jacobs, who is at the stadium, said he had heard a second person had been stabbed, although police said they had no confirmation of this.

Mr Jacobs also said Millwall fans will be kept inside the stadium for 30 minutes after the game.

Describing how the violence erupted, Mr Jacobs said: "The trouble broke out outside the Tube station about 600 yards from the ground.

"There were 500 to 1,000 riot police and Millwall fans managed to break through the divide.

"Bottles were thrown and bricks were as well."

He added: "There has been a bit of trouble inside the ground.

"There was a penalty shout and fans started gesturing and throwing small objects."

'Burly bald man'

Aaron Smith from Hemel Hempstead, who was at the game, said: "I saw one man cornered by at least a dozen Millwall fans before kick-off. Terrifying scenes."

Eyewitness Fergal O'Brien said: "I saw a West Ham fan getting punched in the face by a burly bald man who had a coin between his fists."

Another fan said: "I was in a throng walking up and a group of hooligans came for us.

"The police wanted to help but they were clearly afraid to use force. I am still shaking. I thought I was going to die."

Ben Newton, from Harrow, north London, said his father had been stretchered away after being hit with a dart to the head.

And a Millwall fan told the BBC: "It was like a war zone outside the stadium. There was fighting all round.

"I brought my kids with me tonight and they've seen some violence that is indescribable."

Offline iceberg

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Violence erupts at London derby
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 04:37:38 PM »
English Football Hooliganism at it's best. They take supporting their teams to a different level. Lawd!!
If your heart is not in the game then your not a true footballer!!!

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 04:59:29 PM »
No wonder the pro-league struggling. THe most fight I have seen in a pro-league game was two nuts man fighting. Both ah dem throw de man ah pack 'o' nuts and den start to fight for the money. TT-proleague hooliganism at its finest.

Apparently we need to lift the level of our hooliganism as it seems to directly have bearing on the success or failure of a league.

Next game ah walking with 2 egg. I will do my part. :devil: :devil:
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 02:21:17 AM »
English Football Hooliganism at it's best. They take supporting their teams to a different level. Lawd!!
Given the chance the British players are no different.

Offline onlikecorn

• Full Warrior
  • vibes it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 05:12:00 AM »
important to note that with all the violence that was happenin throughout the game . .the west ham player when he score the equaliser went to celebrate in front the millwall supporters before goin to he own supporters. . . kinda stir things up . .
allyuh should try this in de us, uk and canada. . .actually works. . . use it instead of google. . and get free ting. . i get real free ting already....

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 06:11:26 AM »
Sounds like a clip from the movie Green Street Hooligan.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 06:31:24 AM »
all this white on white crime must stop!

can't we all just get along?

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »
Sounds like a clip from the movie Green Street Hooligan.

Sounds like they were filming "Green Street Hooligans 3"

1]; } ?>