March 28, 2024, 10:52:17 AM

Author Topic: Need to buy a car.  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Need to buy a car.
« on: August 25, 2009, 07:46:30 PM »
I need to buy a car.

My question is, what should I buy, I cant afford a new one but a pretty newish one with good milage and low maintenance cost.

My choices so far.

1. BMW 530 xi or which model is best or decent.
2. Infinity M35x
3. Lexus
4. Maybe a Benz if the price is close to the ones about.

I am getting an Infinity M35x for $25,000. Is this a good price, 24k miles.

Can you pros post some pros and cons on some cars.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:00:30 AM by Sando »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:09:37 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Need to buy a car.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 09:46:32 PM »
as per your criteria, NONE ah dem car yuh call dey have low maintenance cost
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 11:08:05 PM »
In June I bought a 2006 Lexus IS250 and I am very satisfied with it and Lexus. It's a nice ride but a bit slow and the backseat is tight. I like my cars small and the backseat is not an issue as I not riding there and only my 4 year old sitting back there regularly. I got the maintenance schedule from the dealer when I bought it and the prices were pretty similar to what my wife pays for her Honda Accord. I've been to Lexus dealers in 3 different states and have absolutely no complaints about the experience.

Before the Lexus, I came really close to buying a 2006 BMW 330, negotiated price, got approved for the 1.9% financing but turned out the car was not CPO. I told the fella I not buying no BMW without the extended CPO warranty. To be honest, the BMW really was an excellent driver's car (6 speed manual) compared to the Lexus but both cars were same year and similar mileage but the BMW interior did not wear well, even the CPO ones. On some of them there were broken interior bits, missing pixels on the radio and peeling fixtures. One thing that surprised me was the automatic BMW 3 series move fast but the manual ones languish and the dealer was willing to negotiate on them. So if yuh could drive stick, yuh could find some deals.

Bottom line is German cars are nice but get an extended warranty because they can be expensive to maintain. Check out the online forums to get an idea of what to look for when buying specific used cars. Use ebay motors to give yuh an idea of where used car values fall and keep an eye out for special financing deals on used models.

www.clublexus.com
www.mbworld.org
www.m3post.com
www.bimmerforums.com
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:10:23 PM by grimm01 »

Offline TriniItalian

• Sr. Warrior
  • Never Wait to Procrastinate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 11:16:50 PM »
well i looking for a twin cab 4*4 pickup beween 40gs-50gs TTD PM mih people i will come to visit i in POS
A.W.A.T.T. INFORMANT

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 03:54:45 AM »

Agreed for the most part.

Just curious though... why say that you can't afford a new car if you prepared to spend $35,000?

Lot's of new cars out there for much less than that. Of those posted I would go for the Lexus, because I like Toyota or the Inifinti.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 05:17:36 AM »

Just curious though... why say that you can't afford a new car if you prepared to spend $35,000?

ah was goin an aks dat....but ah know trinbago people too good, so I eh bodder
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 07:04:30 AM »

De man want a nice ride man.

Anything German go be  expensive when coming to maintenence. Had Mercedes Benz and that was pretty pricey when coming to the mechanic. Only thing though. If you willing to spend for these cars you will have to be prepared for the pricier maintenance cost.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 07:32:21 AM »
In June I bought a 2006 Lexus IS250 and I am very satisfied with it and Lexus. It's a nice ride but a bit slow and the backseat is tight. I like my cars small and the backseat is not an issue as I not riding there and only my 4 year old sitting back there regularly. I got the maintenance schedule from the dealer when I bought it and the prices were pretty similar to what my wife pays for her Honda Accord. I've been to Lexus dealers in 3 different states and have absolutely no complaints about the experience.

Before the Lexus, I came really close to buying a 2006 BMW 330, negotiated price, got approved for the 1.9% financing but turned out the car was not CPO. I told the fella I not buying no BMW without the extended CPO warranty. To be honest, the BMW really was an excellent driver's car (6 speed manual) compared to the Lexus but both cars were same year and similar mileage but the BMW interior did not wear well, even the CPO ones. On some of them there were broken interior bits, missing pixels on the radio and peeling fixtures. One thing that surprised me was the automatic BMW 3 series move fast but the manual ones languish and the dealer was willing to negotiate on them. So if yuh could drive stick, yuh could find some deals.

Bottom line is German cars are nice but get an extended warranty because they can be expensive to maintain. Check out the online forums to get an idea of what to look for when buying specific used cars. Use ebay motors to give yuh an idea of where used car values fall and keep an eye out for special financing deals on used models.

www.clublexus.com
www.mbworld.org
www.m3post.com
www.bimmerforums.com

I also own a iS 250 AWD, I am very satisfied with it. I tend to drive the speed limit so I have no problems with it, had it up to 90 and it handle quite well plus in sport/power mode you get a more aggressive take off. The OEM tires are very quite but the wear quickly, I replace them with Michelin Sport plus which are bit louder but you can barely tell the difference with the window up. Marginal decrease in MPG. 

If the excessive brake dust irks you, there is a TS bulletin where you can have them replaced for free. Took mine in to dealer for service and drove a 2009 loaner for the day. Did not like the black wood grain look of the 2009 but other than the shark fin there is no difference in body style ( you can always buy a dummy fin off ebay). The standard HID light were a nice improvement, keeping going back and forth on if i should install the after market since it still under the warrantly. 

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:52:34 AM by trinindian »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 03:38:45 PM »

De man want a nice ride man.

nobody cyah vex wit de man for dat....life too short oui

Offline Consultant

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 02:18:39 AM »
I'd say BMW all the way having owned 4, an X3 2d, 318M Sport Convertible, 335iSE, and a 335MSport (current). The BMW is a drivers car, and yes, it is expensive to own and maintain, however the engineering behind them is superb. If the car is <2years old the BMW warranty is for 3 years, and besides, these things are built like tanks, the only things that need changing are tyres, wipers etc.

As I say, they are built to last whereas I find that the Jap cars, though well spec'd as standard feel cheap. BMW / Merc are prestige cars, but I find Mercs don't handle very well.

Hence I vote for the 530.

My 2 cents.  :beermug:

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 07:10:44 AM »

www.clublexus.com
www.mbworld.org
www.m3post.com
www.bimmerforums.com

I also own a iS 250 AWD, I am very satisfied with it. I tend to drive the speed limit so I have no problems with it, had it up to 90 and it handle quite well plus in sport/power mode you get a more aggressive take off. The OEM tires are very quite but the wear quickly, I replace them with Michelin Sport plus which are bit louder but you can barely tell the difference with the window up. Marginal decrease in MPG. 

If the excessive brake dust irks you, there is a TS bulletin where you can have them replaced for free. Took mine in to dealer for service and drove a 2009 loaner for the day. Did not like the black wood grain look of the 2009 but other than the shark fin there is no difference in body style ( you can always buy a dummy fin off ebay). The standard HID light were a nice improvement, keeping going back and forth on if i should install the after market since it still under the warrantly. 

I want to be big jus like you when I grow up  :beermug: :devil:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 08:25:57 AM »

I want to be big jus like you when I grow up  :beermug: :devil:

;D you know the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 09:00:15 AM »

Agreed for the most part.

Lot's of new cars out there for much less than that. Of those posted I would go for the Lexus, because I like Toyota or the Inifinti.

Sorry, that should have been 25,000K not 35k....

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 10:49:50 AM »
Sorry, that should have been 25,000K not 35k....

For 25,000k you could get a fleet of Veyrons. :)

For 25k you will have to settle for a certified Bimma or something.

1]; } ?>