April 18, 2024, 08:07:10 PM

Author Topic: Football as school policy is folly  (Read 2207 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Football as school policy is folly
« on: August 25, 2009, 10:46:21 PM »
By Steven Khan (T&T Express)

Part I

THE figure of $300,000 is what the propaganda, sorry, e-mail, from my Past Students' Association suggests as an estimate of the cost to finance the school's football campaign for the upcoming season. Indeed at my alma mater, and former place of employment, where the principal's vision is "to be recognised as the Best Catholic Boys' School by 2010" through deployment of strategies aimed at "raising the public profile of the school in all spheres," success at football has been named explicitly as being integral to realising his vision in the administrative policy framework.

Let me be clear at the outset that I see football, competitive sport, and physical activity in general, as being important elements of curricula for maintaining healthy individual and social lives, in and out of school, and at the national level. This fact should not blind us to the negative educational consequences that follow from flawed decision-making processes that lie behind the neurotic, almost monomaniac pursuit of football as policy, or indeed any goal which does not have at its heart the support and improvement of learning.

Every year when exam results are released an alarm is raised about the performance of boys in general and boys' schools in particular. One explanation given short shrift in analyses is the carnival mentality of "half days" and "whole days" off to attend football matches in the important first term in some schools. As much as one-third of class time can be lost in the first term with the unreasonable expectation that all teachers can and must somehow manufacture more time for their students.

Many of the non-competitive, occasionally athletic, students make up such deficits by seeking out extra lessons. The top girls' secondary schools are not so encumbered. Some of the under-performance of boys in examinations is perhaps attributable to this lost face-to-face class time and not to some inherent deficiency on their part or to poor teaching.

The necessity of winning, demonstrating dominance and increasing recognition no matter the cost, perhaps at almost any cost, is fiscally irresponsible. The girls' schools, by not engaging in such massive single expenditures, perhaps have more resources to draw on for funding the no-less-visible or important academic and co-curricular pursuits.

The winner-take-all mentality, the obsession with being the best at any cost marks, masks, and makes the bodies of our young talented footballers into economic commodities-semi-professionals.

Individual skill is traded up for the educational capital in our society of having worn the uniform of a prestige school and access to those networks of power and privilege. Coaches scout and poach talent everywhere. Like other flesh-peddlers they make promises, play on fears and dreams and take advantage of ignorance.

One of the follies of football as policy is that it treats individuals as a means to an end - with little concern for what happens after the season and any vain glories celebrated are over.

Football as policy also serves to undermine teacher professionalism and systems of meritocracy upon which a sustainable culture of academic excellence can be built. Government-assisted secondary schools have final discretion in who they allow into sixth form. What many are unaware of is that the process of selecting the sixth form intake has already begun. With the e-mail sent long before CSEC results have been released the machine has been turned on.

Teachers are not part of that process. Even when they are part of the process to enact a completely meritocratic selection based on past performance (academic and behavioural) they are too often thwarted by principals, coaches or the board. Many schools are businesses masquerading as intellectual enterprises. Indeed, "busy-men", not patient thoughtful teachers or educators, dominate educational decision-making.

Once a student is selected for a non-academic reason, with sub-par grades, either the minimum requirements or not even that, anyone with grades as good as or better who has applied, but fails to be admitted, has a valid case for being admitted also under a system which proclaims that admission policies are fair, just and based on principle.

Fear of litigation perhaps leads to the excessive intake of students such that class numbers are sometimes double the recommended number in some schools. Teachers must shut up and suck it up as their professional autonomy is undermined. Again these are elements of a genre that perhaps contributes to the continued underperformance of Catholic boys' schools relative to their female and Presbyterian counterparts.

Denominational schools however are partially protected from litigation arising from academic discrimination by not having to make their decision-making public, in much the same way they don't have to justify who they take on the 20 per cent for the SEA.

Government and the people of T&T may not think that they pay to subsidise students coming into a sixth form to play football in order to increase the prestige brand's recognition. If they think about it at all, they might believe that they are paying for the all-round development of the individual-for whom football and other curricular activities are appropriately balanced. How naive of them!

Unfortunately, not selecting the best students that one can, undermining teacher autonomy and professionalism, over-subscribing courses of study in enacting the football as policy folly has consequences for teacher morale, health, absenteeism, good-will, school spirit and student achievement.
By Steven Khan (T&T Express)

Part II

Steven Khan concludes his discussion on what he sees as a worrying trend among certain schools. Part I was carried in the Saturday Express.

Again, one does not have to go much further than the culture of some schools, that ought to be doing much better, and their policy framework that somehow imagines that excellent results can come before excellent motivated teachers, with football strategically serving up recognition somewhere in the midfield, to explain and understand the continued mediocrity of their academic achievements.

This logic runs contrary to every successful academic institution that I am aware of. It makes perfect sense in business however. But like politics, business has a morality of its own.

Indeed, in business, the expression "you've got to spend money to make money" is not unheard of. Spending $300,000 on football to "experience even greater success in the upcoming season" than last year is really small change chasing the big money, millions of dollars, in alumni and business contributions to make up government shortfalls in advancing other developmental agendas. I wonder, though, how reasonable and sustainable the budget is in these belt-tightening times and how the cost to manage a school football season could skyrocket by 375 per cent from $80,000 a mere three years ago to $300,000 at present. I can't begin to imagine how much money will circulate during this season when you consider the schools involved if this is what one school is willing to spend. I shudder at the thought of the potential for corruption.

Barring sponsorship and donations where would $300,000 to cover $1000 per game laundry bills, $800 boots, meals and transportation costs have normally come from? The answer is these costs would have been invisibly borne, as in the recent past, by being distributed among the community, parents and well-wishers.

My first point here is to highlight the type and value of resources that one usually takes for granted in a community and to draw attention to the fact that while other school communities may not be able to raise the same kinds of funds their respective communities nevertheless contribute directly to their representatives. In such cases the team indeed comes to represent the community from which the players come.

My second point is that competitive football in schools, unlike most other after-school curricular activities is far from a free activity. As in other areas of life where market values predominate, those who can pay can play. I am sure others blanch at these costs for a single activity in a school. As the email wisely suggests at one point, a washing machine and dryer would be a better investment for the school community than $30,000 in laundry bills! In helping football to find a sustainable place in the school's curriculum, more of that sort of reasoning is necessary.

Those who have been reading between the lines will see my thinly veiled allusions to events at the national level-where football cannot escape politics and politics is treated like a football by those who are ruining our society and institutions. Many of whom, having passed through the same types of schools enacting this pedagogy have learnt the lessons of football as policy on and off the field.

Indeed part of my moral outrage and reason for this lengthy response are the similarities and grim resonances I find between the email request by the past students association, statements by the principal and our PM and his companions. I find intolerable those pecuniary truths which exaggerate accomplishment, defy evidence, confuse correlations with causation and seek justification for personal ambition and monomaniacal monument at the expense of individual lives, sustainability and security. School is often championed as being a microcosm of society. Our national culture nests in schools and the similarities between the current climates in school and in political life at the national level ought to trouble us greatly.

I implore educators of all schools now, not just Catholic colleges, to consider my previous advice to work ceaselessly to, "create schools and curricula that are of the community, not merely in the community, or worse, that live on and off, and contribute only waste for life in the community; and to compete to outdo each other in responsibility, goodness, imagination, virtue and generosity to one another."

Football as school policy as historically and currently enacted is not the route. Indeed, there has been for far too long an unholy alliance among greed, ungraciousness, irresponsibility, aconsequentality, and a false sense of entitlement surrounding success at the expense of others which I do not believe would find favour with serious educational philosophies including those of the religious Founders of many of these institutions.

I wish my college team any and all deserved successes. However, if my alma mater should happen to win this year I wonder what they will find it necessary to spend to keep on winning. How much will they ask for in next year's email or the year after that? Half-a-million dollars - When will it be too much? What will be the cost? I like meh school and I like meh football but this nonsense have to stop!

- Steven Khan is a PhD student at the University of British Columbia in Education.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 04:26:34 AM by Tallman »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Football as school policy is folly
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 04:07:55 AM »
Nerds allowed to speak when they leave school, i guess...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 05:40:48 AM »

Wonderful analysis Holmes :rolleyes:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 06:19:38 AM »

It was elementary, my dear Watson

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 06:43:25 AM »
The man write two very good articles.

He is even trying to protect the students and showing how politics and the money spending that is wastage that could go towards other things.

One of the follies of football as policy is that it treats individuals as a means to an end - with little concern for what happens after the season and any vain glories celebrated are over.

Also too I surprised this is true.

I wonder, though, how reasonable and sustainable the budget is in these belt-tightening times and how the cost to manage a school football season could skyrocket by 375 per cent from $80,000 a mere three years ago to $300,000 at present. I can't begin to imagine how much money will circulate during this season when you consider the schools involved if this is what one school is willing to spend. I shudder at the thought of the potential for corruption.

Barring sponsorship and donations where would $300,000 to cover $1000 per game laundry bills, $800 boots, meals and transportation costs have normally come from? The answer is these costs would have been invisibly borne, as in the recent past, by being distributed among the community, parents and well-wishers.

$300,000...ent sponsors does help pay for the uniform, ent some schools sell extra jerseys to old boys, ent they does charge to pay matches...last time I pay 10$ to watch my school.

Old Boys does help out in purchasing of uniforms, tracksuit, bag and ting.

I mean I know now men getting gatorade and ting, when we used to have to drink rusty water from the standpipe...but the lil metallic aftertaste is what giving yuh the zess on the field  ;D

$1000 per game laundry bill  ???....plenty of them men not even getting they uniform dirty as they ent seeing no playing time. So whappen to washing yuh own uniform and drying it in time for the next match.
Maybe they factoring washing bibs in training too...but somebody getting a good raise.

I think the writer has valid points.

Also when you consider the % of who make it big playing football as opposed to who fail, it is hard to justify from a cost benefit analysis point of view.A school not collecting a transfer fee. Schools football is for pips only.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 07:05:15 AM »
I received the said email that the writer received, and wouldn't mind replicating on this site, but I will not post it because I believe it's school business - which can also easily be acquired by anyone else.

To tell you the truth, at first I was a bit alarmed at the cost of sponsorship and overall cost of day to day activity that we often take for granted - but putting it in perspective, the cost seemed minimal compared to some of the club setups in the US where parents pay thousands of dollars to have their kids compete with a team for a season.

The one part that Steven omits is the passion that comes from the SSFL and Intercol. Prestige schools gain their reputation not only from academic proficiency, but also from the constant turnover of allround students

In every prestige school there will be those that value academia above all - most times at the demands of their parents - BUT, there will be those that will be able to strike a balance between a healthy extra-curricular timetable, as well as maintain solid academic standing. The interaction of these two types of students and the product they display when representing their school in uniform is what makes the school prestigious.

I was fortunate to attend that said school when scholarly students won The President's Medal and numerous Open Scholarships. This was at a time when scholarships were at a premium and not handed out like water these days. The pride amongst the student body was everything and more that tradition said it should be. At that time, there was no other school that had won more scholarships that us in their collective history. How's that for academic standing? It was something we could boast of to anyone who dared question the standard of education.

I was also at the school when the football team was at it's peak and numerous stars of the SSFL attended school there. There was no better feeling of anticipation than going to assembly at 8am to celebrate a victory, and hear 830+ voices cheer every word, sing the alma mater song lustily with pomp and grandeur, and collectively stamp our feet on the wooden floor and demand a "halfday" only to get the whole day off instead.

I distinctly remember the events following a huge win where the usual assembly was turned into a J'ouvert atmosphere. There was a rhythm section, countless whistles piercing the air and the singing and dancing to every and any song that you could remember the refrain to. There was a level of joy and pride that could not be replicated for any other results, of any other achievements at any other time. You had to appreciate how unique the moment was, and embrace it. If you didn't you probably missed out on one of the greatest days in your school life. That was what our fabled school spirit was all about. It was about the commeradery, the coming together of students from all corners and walks of life and unity in the student body.

At school - prestigious or not - academics MUST be the first priority, but it must not be lost amongst the school body, because that is not the only factor that contributes to an education. An education must be all round, and it must teach you about the practical matters outside of textbooks and outside of the classroom. These are the extra-curricular activities that turn boys into men, and make them positively contributing members of society.

These are just a few excerpts from the college hymn, and it gives a statement of the men that the school intends to graduate and have graduated.

That college days may be of worth,
While we our time abide on earth,
And trials face each day....

We pledge to ever be,
Brave soldiers in the bitter strife,
For self-assertion in this life,
And men of dignity....

It matters little where we roam
In the years that lie ahead,
The knowledge that we here acquire,
Shall help our nation to aspire,
For we are men sincere.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:21:31 AM by acb »
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 07:15:23 AM »
I wonder, though, how reasonable and sustainable the budget is in these belt-tightening times and how the cost to manage a school football season could skyrocket by 375 per cent from $80,000 a mere three years ago to $300,000 at present. I can't begin to imagine how much money will circulate during this season when you consider the schools involved if this is what one school is willing to spend. I shudder at the thought of the potential for corruption.

$300,000...ent sponsors does help pay for the uniform, ent some schools sell extra jerseys to old boys, ent they does charge to pay matches...last time I pay 10$ to watch my school.

Old Boys does help out in purchasing of uniforms, tracksuit, bag and ting.

I mean I know now men getting gatorade and ting, when we used to have to drink rusty water from the standpipe...but the lil metallic aftertaste is what giving yuh the zess on the field  ;D

$1000 per game laundry bill  ???....plenty of them men not even getting they uniform dirty as they ent seeing no playing time. So whappen to washing yuh own uniform and drying it in time for the next match.
Maybe they factoring washing bibs in training too...but somebody getting a good raise.

I think the writer has valid points.

Also when you consider the % of who make it big playing football as opposed to who fail, it is hard to justify from a cost benefit analysis point of view.A school not collecting a transfer fee. Schools football is for pips only.

Yes, the email sought out corporate sponsors, and also allowed sponsors to team up on certain sponsorship packages. The $300k being sought should not (I hope) be a problem, given the network of alumni.

Over the weekend I was speaking to my cousin who is part of the setup of my alma mater's fiercest rivals. He was giving me some insight as to the work and scouting that has gone on since O'Level and A'Level results came out - and how they seek to mesh the vacancies on the football team left by those who have completed school, or who will be allowed to repeat exams - in order to maintain the standard at their football team. They then look to see what voids need to be filled, and then turn to their scouts to see who are the prospective students. They then need to evaluate their academic standing before proceeding with seeking transfers, etc. - and that is just the frontroom dealings. Nothing discussed about proximity from student to school travel, allowances, etc.

SSFL is more than a big business, otherwise sponsors would not be falling head over heels to sponsor the tournaments.

I don't think schools' football is for pips only. The image that it helps a school portray helps in its level of prestige, which in turn rallies the alumni to help and do more for the school to maintain that standing. As much as the level of contribution from current students is important, the level of support from an alumni standing is just as important - if not more important.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:19:03 AM by acb »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 11:12:53 AM »
The article has good points but the States battling that for years with their football teams so it eh going and change. It is the nature of the teenage years and high school/secondary school that the thing that garners popularity going to get the money...and children education fall by the wayside after school done or an injury.

When u was in school, the girls used to run down the scholarship winner or the big star?
It is the nature of things and I not saying to accept it, but it not going to change anytime soon. And even if it does change you are affecting a vital component of the college days experience and life experiences.

To some schools, the reputation through sport is vital to the reputation of the school itself.
For example, Hillview is a good school which has its share of academic achievements but (no offence to Hillview Alumni) is there the nationwide appreciation for Hillview as there is for the town schools or the major south schools?

So if a Malick or Gustine main claim for fame or recognition is on the field thus there focus going to be there. As a result, the teams hoping to xc compete with them must also make the same investnment to keep up.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 11:22:22 AM »
acb, spine-tingling contribution in yuh first post.

According to Steven Khan:
I wish my college team any and all deserved successes. However, if my alma mater should happen to win this year I wonder what they will find it necessary to spend to keep on winning. How much will they ask for in next year's email or the year after that? Half-a-million dollars - When will it be too much? What will be the cost? I like meh school and I like meh football but this nonsense have to stop!

Fuh now I'll reserve comment on the subject of Khan's commentary, and its presentation in the public domain, because I am unfamiliar with the trajectory that brought his comments there. However, literally today, one of my waking thoughts centered on the said email ... seemingly annual in its appearance and circulation ... and I wondered about the funding model specifically, rather than about the role of football per se in the scheme of things. In all honesty, I've been surprised by the prioritisation of football on the agenda. I'm a football person, but there's no doubt Khan's comments ought not be ignored as a unit.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 04:01:59 PM »
Steve Khan makes some real valid points in his article. And yes it reminds us of the same situation in the US when it comes to American high school football. Texas in particular. I don't see that changing. There is prestige and money involved. The schools are not going to turn away the sponsors, when they may offer to help renovate the science lab. The main issue for me is maintaining a balance as pertain to the student. The school and PARENTS must insist on the student focus on his education. He must know when to put the ball down and pick up the book. The SSFL season is so short but intense, the student can't focus on all his courses in all the excitement. I know. I have been thru that. And when I reincarnate, I want to do it again.  But in the cricket season the student must put all the emphasis on his studies. He has to play catch-up for what he missed in the football season. Well if he plays cricket, then that is another issue. I don't know. But I glad Steve submitted this article. It is something all of us must stay focus on.

Is this Steve Khan the one  that played on the Haiti WC team.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 04:23:53 PM »
no this is a steven khan who went pres went away on schol and did a bio degree then came back to teach. Was de WUSS bio teacher i ever had. Also was not a fan of any of the footballers...man could not stand us.
I agree he has some valid points, but i also have a personal bias against him ;D So shit he!
Back in Trini...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 06:30:51 AM »
Who stupid enough to have a $1000 laundry bill per game. That is utter :bs: . Either yuh wash yuh own kit or somebody carry that home and wash it.

I think they should stop all competitive sports in schools only have PE.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 06:49:26 AM »
But in the cricket season the student must put all the emphasis on his studies. He has to play catch-up for what he missed in the football season. Well if he plays cricket, then that is another issue. I don't know.

Cricket season is even worse on studies, and requires more discipline. I played on a National Championship Team and the level of dedication to just attend training and games forces you to miss more classtime than any other sport.

1. You miss an entire 1-2 days per week based on what level you're playing.
2. You miss games in 2nd/ 3rd terms - which IMO is more important than the 1st term, esp. when you have cumulative finals in the 3rd term.
3. You play less games, but travel further distances as per the zonal setup.
4. Full practices are ridiculously difficult to  co-ordinate. Key players go missing to attend extra-lessons classes to make up for time lost in the classroom due to being on the field all day.
5. Make-up games due to inclement weather further take away from classroom time.

You don't get feted and celebrated as much as the footballing equivalent, but the personal satisfaction from that accomplishment is on par with any other accomplishment.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 06:53:06 AM »
Who stupid enough to have a $1000 laundry bill per game. That is utter :bs: . Either yuh wash yuh own kit or somebody carry that home and wash it.

I think they should stop all competitive sports in schools only have PE.

So because he say is 1000 it is true. My pastor wash Malick clothes 4 yrs. Ms. Norma was Stern/ince and Jack own. Plus now it have washing machine in dem snr comp. So who payin dat 1000.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Mackie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 07:12:51 AM »

It was elementary, my dear Watson

wnet to school with him so i can corroborate , he never kick ah ball in pres ... serious student ..cool guy though...

1]; } ?>