March 29, 2024, 03:00:22 AM

Author Topic: Marathon overcomes San Juan Jabloteh  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Marathon overcomes San Juan Jabloteh
« on: August 27, 2009, 04:47:21 AM »
Marathon overcomes San Juan Jabloteh
concacafchampions.com

Marathon scored twice in the last 14 minutes to overcome San Juan Jabloteh, 3-1, in a CONCACAF Champions League Group B game Wednesday night at Estadio Olimpico Metropolitano.

Mauricio Sabillon broke a 1-1 tie in the 86th minute, when he crashed in a cross from Walter Martinez after the 27-year-old did all the hard work on the left side of the box.

With its 3-1 win over D.C. United last week, the Honduran side has maximum points from its opening two group games, both played at home. Jabloteh, which will consider itself unlucky in failing to get a point from this game, has lost two straight.

The Green Monster took a 10th minute lead, when Mario Berrios scored off a Jerry Palacios backheel inside the penalty area. The ball took a deflection before beating Jabloteh goalkeeper Cleon John. It was Berrios' second Champions League goal in two games.

The visitors could have drawn level six minutes later, but Marvin Oliver's finishing let him down after being played in by Dennis Lawrence with only goalkeeper Juan Obelar to beat.

Marathon and Jabloteh continued to apply offensive pressure as the game flowed freely. John was forced to make a series of saves with varying difficulty as the half's midway point approached. In the 23rd minute, Obelar did well to punch away a chance created by Joel Russell and Jason Marcano.

Jabloteh was offered a lifeline near the end of the opening half, when referee Paul Delgadillo whistled Marathon defender Erick Norales for a handball in the area. Noel Williams sent Obelar the wrong way to convert confidently.

Delgadillo called a handball on Jabloteh's Kevaughn Connell in the 80th minute, giving the home side a chance to regain the lead from the penalty spot. Palacios' shot, though, was saved by John as he dove to the right.

Minutes later, Sabillon would score the game winner, followed by Martinez in stoppage time.

Next up for Marathon in the Champions League is a trip to Toluca for a September 17 top of the table clash. On September 15, San Juan Jabloteh hosts D.C. United in a game of two teams still searching for their first points.

CLICK HERE for video highlights

Line-Ups

San Juan Jabloteh: - 22.Cleon John, 23.Dennis Lawrence, 5. Anton Hutchinson, 6.Noel Williams, 4.Karlon Murray (Yellow 70), 29.Joel Russell, 10.Marvin Oliver (capt) (7.Elijah Manners 67th), 30.Lester Peltier (Yellow 90), 21.Ataullah Guerra (16.Kevaughn Connell 57th), 15. Travis Mulraine, 13.Jason Marcano (32.Jerrel Britto 82nd).

Coach: Earl Jean

CD Marathón: - 27. Juan Obelar, 23. Mauricio Sabillon, 6. Juan García, 5. Erick Norales (Yellow 44) (20.Mario Beata 46th), 4.Maximo Lucas, 19.Mario Berrios (8.Fernando Castillo 63rd), 17.Arnold Solorzano (9.Elvis Scott 87th), 15.Walter Martínez, 22.Glen Brown, 7.Carlos Mejía (Yellow 71, Red 90), 10.Jerry Palacios.

Coach: Manuel Keosseian

Officials

Referee: Paul Delgadillo (MEX).
Assistants: Marcos Quintero (MEX), Salvador Rodriguez (MEX).
Fourth official: Ricardo Zelaya (HON).

GP  W  D  L  F  A  D PTS
CD Marathón             2    2   0  0  6  2  +4   6
CD Toluca                  2    2   0  0  4  1  +3   6
San Juan Jabloteh     2    0   0  2  1  4  -3    0
DC United                  2    0   0  2  2  6  -4    0

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:27:13 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Marathon overcomes San Juan Jabloteh
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 06:47:14 AM »
I feeling sorry for Fenwick.Last time he had to leave Jabloteh he left them after a 5-0 win over Chicago and was looking good in the region. This time when he hadda leave, the side in the Champions League.

I have no doubt he woulda have them getting better results and he woulda finally get some international attention in his homeland to help erase the reputation he gained at Northampton, if he had led Jabloteh over these 2 sides so far(who were both beatable).
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 07:32:05 AM »
I feeling sorry for Fenwick.Last time he had to leave Jabloteh he left them after a 5-0 win over Chicago and was looking good in the region. This time when he hadda leave, the side in the Champions League.

It was Ricky Hill who led San Juan Jabloteh to a 5-2 win over Chicago in POS, only to lost the return leg 4-0 at Chicago Fire and crashed out of the CCL. Terry Fenwick was quickly recalled.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 08:11:58 AM »

It was Ricky Hill who led San Juan Jabloteh to a 5-2 win over Chicago in POS, only to lost the return leg 4-0 at Chicago Fire and crashed out of the CCL. Terry Fenwick was quickly recalled.

Nah Fenwick was there at the start of the season...Ricky Hill undo the work
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 08:22:55 AM »
Ricky didn't undo anything he won the League with SJC but left for 'personal reasons.'

I really thought TF was there when they cut Chicago Fire ass. But Wikipedia say is RH.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 08:34:04 AM »

Nah Fenwick was there at the start of the season...Ricky Hill undo the work

That wasn't the reason why I post my correction.

Terry Fenwick was not there when Jabloteh beat Chicago and the score line was 5-2, not 5-0 as u first stated. Ricky Hill was the coach then and yes we all know Fenwick was there in the earlies.

See quote below...

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 08:35:37 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jabloteh’s confidence still brewing
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 05:46:28 PM »
Jabloteh’s confidence still brewing
By Randy Bando (ttproleague.com)

San Juan Jabloteh may have lost its two opening CONCACAF Champions’ League Group B matches against CD Toluca and CD Marathon but confidence to do better is high says Coach Earl Jean.

“I predict good things in our upcoming matches,” said Jean. We have seen DC United, experienced Toluca and Marathon and I believe we can have better results.”

“Our only problem might be Toluca in Mexico, but other than that I am confident we can do better.”

Jabloteh were edged 1-0 in their opening match against Toluca at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium last week and on Wednesday night in Honduras suffered a 3-1 defeat against Marathon after conceding two late goals.

“The guys played well. I wasn’t disappointed. I don’t think they(Marathon) are three goals better than us. We had three or four good chances which we didn’t score. They were clearly tired in the dying stages of the matches but their substitutions won the game for them,” explained the St Lucian.

Jean continues to highlight that his team is suffering in their finishing department.

“I’m disappointed in our finishing. We should have done better coming away with a draw at least. We wanted a win and had to take risks. I even used Dennis Lawrence up front close to the end. We are lacking quality players up front and are continuously trying to find players.”

Jean’s sight is set on a few players regionally to boost his under par offence but prefers to leave their names anonymous as he is still in negotiations to have those players available.

Jabloteh will host MLS club DC United on Tuesday 15 September with both teams still searching for their CONCACAF Champions’ League group win.

“We have a tight scheduled and that’s putting a lot on the guys with injuries and no rest. But we will take it one game at a time aim for better results.”

Jabloteh will be in Digicel Pro League action on Tuesday 01 September when the tackle Defence Force from 7pm in a rescheduled Round Two Match Day Nine clash.

The San Juan based club is seated fourth on their domestic standings with 32 points behind Ma Pau SC(33 points), Caledonia AIA of Morvant Laventille(34 points) and leaders Bmobile Joe Public(34 points).
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>