March 28, 2024, 03:15:37 AM

Author Topic: Cole shrugs off racist abuse  (Read 1888 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cole shrugs off racist abuse
« on: August 26, 2009, 12:12:36 PM »
Cole shrugs off racist abuse
Skysports.com

Striker unfazed by chants from Lions fans

West Ham striker Carlton Cole has refused to let racist chants from Milwall fans get the better of him.

The Hammers needed extra-time to see off the League One side 3-1 in the Carling Cup second-round on Tuesday as crowd trouble marred the fixture after Police made 13 arrests.

Cole was the target of monkey chants from sections of the away crowd and appeared to gesture his own response when being substituted before the end of the derby game.

However, the England international has vowed not to dwell on the abuse and will continue to get on with his job as he did during the incident-packed game.

"I heard it but it's football," he said. "I don't care. I know I'm not a monkey. I might be as strong as a gorilla but I'm not a monkey.

"You've just got to carry on and get on with it and we got the result. That was the main point, the fans got what they deserved."

Inspiration
The former Chelsea striker has pointed to former team-mate Frank Lampard, who is a regular target for terrace fans up and down the country, as an example of how to deal with the situation.

"Being targeted is part and parcel of football," the 25-year-old said. "As you get bigger in football, you're going to get taunts.

"I take someone like Frank Lampard as an example. He gets abuse everywhere but he still gets his head down and carries on.

"That makes him a bigger and better person. He puts in performances week in, week out. I take people like that as examples to hopefully help me with my game.

"It's about mental toughness. You just have to carry on with your game and usually you come out good."

Statement
The Football Association plans to investigate the violence that took place both inside the ground and out and in the meantime, Millwall have released a statement condemning racism after the allegations.

A statement from the South East London club read: "Millwall FC condemns racist abuse by supporters of both sides on Tuesday night.

"There is no place for racism in society and both Millwall and West Ham work tirelessly in our respective communities to tackle this problem."

Allegations that Millwall striker Jason Price was also subject to racist taunts from West Ham fans has further dampened the Hammers' reputation as football comes to terms with fresh worries of hooliganism.

Cole admitted he was shocked at the general scenes of carnage during the game and admits that it is the first time he has experienced such chaos in his career.

"I've never been involved in such a turbulent game like that," Cole added.

"Passions were running high and it was a unique experience. I might not experience something like that in my career, so it was new to me to be a part of something like that."
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Re: Cole shrugs off racist abuse
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 09:11:46 PM »
No place for such base behavior in football, but there is no love between these two teams.  Milwall is West Ham's biggest rival.

Offline Trini/Aussie

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 10:07:06 PM »
There may be rivalry between the teams and fans but that is no reason to directly target players because of their colour...burn in hell idiots..nuff said.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »
Good man CC

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »
No place for such base behavior in football, but there is no love between these two teams.  Milwall is West Ham's biggest rival.

Millwall fans will always be racist. All Millwall fans are scum, simple as that, normal people would be embarrased to be associated wid dat club

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 01:18:40 AM »

Millwall fans will always be racist. All Millwall fans are scum, simple as that, normal people would be embarrased to be associated wid dat club
Them dirt sandwich eating broke pocket brits have the nerve tuh call ppl monkey when it have monkeys in the zoo who livin better than them. i used tuh think them brits were established and had quality until i started hanging out in their circles here in NY.

them ppl poor, uneducated, broke, rude, and have no class for the most part! now don't get me wrong, it have real upstanding brits and i've met quite ah few, but the majority are trifling! :puking:

i suggest they take ah hard look @ themselves and think ah million times before they condescend on anyone including lesser life forms.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 03:59:41 AM »
The monkeys are in the stands........ :devil:

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 08:28:11 AM »

Them dirt sandwich eating broke pocket brits have the nerve tuh call ppl monkey when it have monkeys in the zoo who livin better than them. i used tuh think them brits were established and had quality until i started hanging out in their circles here in NY.

them ppl poor, uneducated, broke, rude, and have no class for the most part! now don't get me wrong, it have real upstanding brits and i've met quite ah few, but the majority are trifling! :puking:

i suggest they take ah hard look @ themselves and think ah million times before they condescend on anyone including lesser life forms.

Yeah, good one.

Bash an entire country based on the antics of a few thousand Millwall fans.

Why don't you just hold your nose and fart, that way you'll be able to clear your mind.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 06:05:01 PM »

Yeah, good one.

Bash an entire country based on the antics of a few thousand Millwall fans.

Why don't you just hold your nose and fart, that way you'll be able to clear your mind.
I'll go one better, i'll stop up every hole in my body and fart in your duncy face, maybe that might clear your understanding and free up your ability to read and process information properly, BC it seem like you don't understand your own language! i said majority not all yuh numbskull!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 06:17:39 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>