April 28, 2024, 01:19:54 AM

Author Topic: Zurich GL 2009( Biggest meet on the circuit)  (Read 13844 times)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Zurich GL 2009( Biggest meet on the circuit)
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2009, 11:55:50 AM »
so we concentrating on the 200 till they turn 20 from now on?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2009, 02:56:57 PM »

Vex/cuss this post if you want, but as someone who has been there, it's the honest, brutal truth.

Alison Felix and VC
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 05:01:28 PM by Trini _2010 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline panjazz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2009, 06:38:59 PM »
The 200 or 400 is NOT the 100 (not even close in terms of body stresses)....wheel and come again.....Bolt started at 200 and 400, and ran 19.93 at 17 to win Carifta, not 15!

Name the male 100m prodigy who has become a senior star....

???

you  ???

Offline keelz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2009, 07:43:30 AM »
sorry it was 20.61, my bad  :-[,but on da real i still think that 20.61 is really quick for a 15year old.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2009, 08:42:20 PM »
ato,
u know panjazz going to cuss yuh.

Now why would I cuss a balanced and educated observation? Come on. What I cuss at, is the nonsensical and emotional diatribe spewed by individuals that don't have a clue.

Hey Panjazz, it's quite reassuring to know that you does sometimes cuss and reprimand yourself!  ;)

Great news! 8)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:03:19 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2009, 09:02:45 PM »
Darrel's body has had enough, and that is the grim reality. 

I said it a few years ago and I was 90% sure. I am 100% sure now. How do I know? Toward my OWN end, I found that the body simply can't deal with the stresses a 100m dash brings. Now, I was 30, but consider this - I started my career at 16, and my international career at 18! Do the math on how long Darrel's career has been and it should make sense.

I see the same thing in him now. 100m running looks easy, but each one you run is one closer to the end of your career, and that is the reality of every sprinter. We used to joke about rolling out of bed and running sub ten - until we couldn't roll out of bed and break 10.2!

Worse for Darrel and many others, the game has changed, where 10.00 gets you last place in a final now.  In Sydney in 2000 it would have gotten you bronze, in Atlanta? 4th.

Marc Burns has made the finals in '05 '07 '08 and '09 (which few have noticed makes him the only one to have done that of all the current crop) but because he is close to 10.00 consistently his best finish is 5th - in 05. 5th this year by Richard Thompson was 9.93! As was 4th!

Those WR's at those age groups as a teen have depleted the tank. He can still contribute greatly but I do not think in the way some are thinking 100m wise.

The camp he is in, MVP, is arguably the best camp on earth.  Everyone there is succeeding.  Everyone.

When he was with Rolle, Rolle got blamed, but he has led our own Lucas and Jamrock's Kerron Stewart to success recently, so that might not have been accurate...

My documentary 'PRODIGY' will go in depth on this topic in 2010...

Vex/cuss this post if you want, but as someone who has been there, it's the honest, brutal truth.

Many thanks for this post Ato, I for one appreciate it!
As someone who has been there and done that you can draw parallel with what you have been thru and I believe your analysis of DB's situation could be quite accurate.

Considering the stresses of running the 100m as you pointed out, it could now be that DB's body can no longer cope with that event and he may have to either consider moving up to the 200m or 400m or be happy to just be a member of our 4x100m relay squad as he was in Berlin (and only if he is fit and quick enough to not let down the team).

Then again the 200m may also be too stressful for DB as well as apparently running the curve can aggravate or damage his back so he may not be looking forward to regularly running the 200m.

If Bolt can consider running the 400m again and also doing the long jump in addition to running the 100 & 200m then DB should not see it impossible to concentrate on the 200 and 400m if they could be less stressful to him than concentrating only on the 100m.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:07:02 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2009, 09:09:31 PM »
Doesn't work quite that way.

1st, Brown has never been a world class 200m runner, and 2 when the tank is empty u can't do anything without getting hurt, so moving to anything other than retired will yield more of what we have seen since 2001

Injury after injury and they continue to linger more and more.

Just prepare for it so that you don't frustrate yourself every single year.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2009, 09:13:51 PM »

1st, Brown has never been a world class 200m runner, and 2 when the tank is empty u can't do anything without getting hurt, so moving to anything other than retired will yield more of what we have seen since 2001

Injury after injury and they continue to linger more and more.

Okay, I understand and unlike some I am not going to get myself frustrated over it, well at least not anymore.

I hope DB has some book sense or some trade outside of athletics to fall back on, if not it will be wise of him to start preparing himself from now!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:18:22 PM by Socapro »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2009, 09:52:09 PM »
I wasn't a prodigy. Not even close. I only started at 16!
BORN TO DO IT

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2009, 07:14:45 AM »
I am trying to follow the talk about DB- so the suggestion is that he should retire? is there no other option for him? I wish him all the best and hope he can have someone give him some good advice and support to make the best decision for his future. he has flown our flag and deserves our support
 ;D

Offline TriniItalian

• Sr. Warrior
  • Never Wait to Procrastinate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2009, 11:20:46 AM »
Ok. Well the point is that he came back and he was not a write off. He might not have been who he was before the injuries. But he came back and was still able to produce something. I remember critics saying that Ronaldo is going to retire in 2000. He came back and was still a force to be reckoned with.  Here are Ronaldos numbers Trinitalian.

Aps      goals

1993–1994 Cruzeiro     14        (12)
1994–1996 PSV          45         (42)
1996–1997 Barcelona   37        (34)
1997–2002 Internazionale 69    (56)
2002–2007 Real Madrid 127      (83)
2007–2008 Milan          20        (9)
2009– Corinthians          9        (6)

127 Aps and 83 goals? SO you mean to tell me that after the first year of Ronaldo playing in the Spanish league, all the coaches continued to use a less aggressive and slow defence against him for the next four years? It sounds as if you probably had your heart broken when Ronaldo left Inter.  :'(

Ok I will give you that one, maybe it might not be a good comparison with track and football. But calling DB a write off is a bit premature at this stage. Considering the amount of athletes who went through similar obstacles. If he was 30 I would agree. No one really knows what lies ahead. At this point its just about DB overcoming adversity before he packs it in. Again I am just trying to be optimistic.

umm..
1. We talking about the recovery of an athlete that needs to be in peak condition so a comparison of a 87% strike rate prior to injury to a 63% after means that he left the harder more physical defenses of Italy (and yes i toting he leave inter we coulda woulda shoulda have 3 UCL trophies, damn you R9! >:( :devil:) to play in Spain where ref does blow whistle for everything, used his technical skill not speed skill to survive, tried to jump back in Italy with the same hard-ass defenses, maybe he was vex for giving up before trying in the first place and running Spain to hide.
When the man came back from the first injury he bawl out that Italy to technical for him, like he never see that in the 6 seasons at inter and more importantly it stop him from scoring.
In AC he get injured again and had to return to the far less tactical and defenseless league of his homeland where technical skill is what counts and we know he has that.
So even with less of a challenge he scored less and he getting older so he losing speed yearly.

Yes R9 is not a write off but to make this point apply to DB he runs relay he's not a write off too, but he's not our main contender anymore but like R9 everybody only talking about him and WHAT IFing and youtubing the past glory.

2. The only comparison between the two is speed. R9's real talent was being able to run as fast or faster with the ball close on his feet, as the defender without it. We see clearly that his lack of speed recovery accounts for a 20% drop in performance... so my point, using R9 as an example, is: ANY drop in speed is detrimental to DB! the man wasn't running 9.5 before and drop to 9.8 the man was running 9.99 a 5% drop in output is 10.49 the man still hadda train impossibly hard to improve another 10% to be in that 9.8 region AND he not getting younger AND unless you on the upward curve like a RT 9.8 don't even FRIGGING COUNT ANYMORE that's 4th in a race with three 9.7 men!.

But we could hope that the human element pulls through and he runs with all his heart and soul and magically appears in a Finals and in that race works every sinew and numbers start flying up in front of him as he runs out of the matrix... either way it have to be fantasy for him to even be competitive... but there is one option, get a surgery in Venezuela and run for South Africa lol.
A.W.A.T.T. INFORMANT

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2009, 01:20:47 PM »
I don't think the suggestion was retirement anywhere in this thread.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline REC

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2009, 10:10:49 PM »

1st, Brown has never been a world class 200m runner, and 2 when the tank is empty u can't do anything without getting hurt, so moving to anything other than retired will yield more of what we have seen since 2001Injury after injury and they continue to linger more and more.

Hey Ato, I believe that is where the insinuation of retirement arose!!? ???

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2009, 10:27:31 PM »
I can see how that can be misconstrued....what I am saying is if you continue to hold the bar at 9.80 or olympic / worlds medalist, etc, as has been the case since 2001, it will lead to frustration.  If you make it that injuries can be held to a minimum, I think it will stop some of the cussing and frustration here on the part of many of his biggest fans.

Notice how happy Asafa's fans were with 3rd this year? Lowered bar!

BORN TO DO IT

Offline REC

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2009, 10:46:22 PM »
I hear u boss!! Saw Fazeer interview Jehue and Ian Hypolite this am. He made reference to your displeasure with his article and stated that he will interview you by tel later on this week. Interview was a decent one though with Ian explaining to him what you were trying to get across re: Jehue achievement at WC....

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2009, 02:51:05 AM »
I can see how that can be misconstrued....what I am saying is if you continue to hold the bar at 9.80 or olympic / worlds medalist, etc, as has been the case since 2001, it will lead to frustration.  If you make it that injuries can be held to a minimum, I think it will stop some of the cussing and frustration here on the part of many of his biggest fans.

Notice how happy Asafa's fans were with 3rd this year? Lowered bar!

Not that happy. It was a close silver I was looking for, but given the groin niggle in the SF and the fact that he was doubtful for the finals, I will take bronze. Notice he got a slow start in the finals, as he could not push off as normal.

Offline panjazz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2009, 06:56:47 AM »

How much years after were you junior world champ?

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2009, 07:26:27 AM »

How much years after were you junior world champ?
double champ man ;)
"Boldon returned to the junior circuit, winning the 100 m and 200 m titles at the IAAF World Junior Championships in Athletics in Seoul, South Korea to become the first double sprint champion in World Junior Championships history."
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »
I already got a call from Fazeer and agreed to be on the show soon.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2009, 07:30:45 PM »
I already got a call from Fazeer and agreed to be on the show soon.

Give him hell  :devil:

1]; } ?>