• I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
Re: Wow!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 09:25:47 PM »
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 01:46:50 PM »
what was he throwing away?

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 01:49:58 PM »
vegetable.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 07:00:27 AM »

Probably some weed or other contraband that he shoulda just leave home.

Very stupid fella to be walking around with something that makes yuh feel compelled to run from the police.

Sad result though.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 07:02:52 AM by JDB »
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 12:36:59 PM »

Very stupid fella to be walking around with something that makes yuh feel compelled to run from the police.

Sad result though.

Still facked up though... running gives rise to pc for arrest, not fuh ah man ending up in a coma.  Facked up thing is that back in the station house man eh go see nutten wrong with the tackle and probably give him all kinda high five even after finding out pardner was laid up in de hospital in traction.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 07:12:55 AM »

Sad result though.

Still facked up though... running gives rise to pc for arrest, not fuh ah man ending up in a coma.  Facked up thing is that back in the station house man eh go see nutten wrong with the tackle and probably give him all kinda high five even after finding out pardner was laid up in de hospital in traction.

I agree but it is hard for cops though because they never know what they dealing with.

It is very likely that the cop didn’t forsee him falling into the wall, which in this case may be reckless, but I wouldn’t say it was an unreasonable use of force. He was probably just trying to take him down as quickly as possible, not knowing whether he was armed or not.

I think police often have to act decisively, or not at all, but with very little opportunity for half-measures. They have a tiered course of action and once they have cause to step it up a level they tend to go all out on that particularly level of engagement. If trying to apprehend a suspect, take him down fast. If a suspect draws a weapon and threatens, shoot to kill.

It is like when people ask why a police officer didn’t just shoot somebody “in the leg, or arm”.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:14:34 AM »
The man should not have run. Running is the action of someone who is guilty. It is too bad that the body check apparently resulted in the man being in a coma and brain damaged, but that is why he should not have run.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 11:39:55 PM »
I agree but it is hard for cops though because they never know what they dealing with.

It is very likely that the cop didn’t forsee him falling into the wall, which in this case may be reckless, but I wouldn’t say it was an unreasonable use of force. He was probably just trying to take him down as quickly as possible, not knowing whether he was armed or not.

I think police often have to act decisively, or not at all, but with very little opportunity for half-measures. They have a tiered course of action and once they have cause to step it up a level they tend to go all out on that particularly level of engagement. If trying to apprehend a suspect, take him down fast. If a suspect draws a weapon and threatens, shoot to kill.

It is like when people ask why a police officer didn’t just shoot somebody “in the leg, or arm”.

They are trained to tell suspects to stop... if the suspect then doesn't comply then the use of force might be deemed reasonable.  He tackled a man who clearly was in the act of stopping.  If he was fearful that the suspect would be armed proper procedure is to instruct him to show his hands and approach him cautiously with the weapon drawn (would be my guess).  You certainly don't throw caution to the wind and run right up on him empty-handed.  The fact that he rushed him empty-handed betrays his mindset that he wasn't in any danger from the suspect.

There are many good cops, but too many cops are also bullies... I don't know why we continue to make excuses for these kind of behavior when it only serves to compromise the integity of the force and tarnish the reputations of the good cops out there.  Hard to rest all blame on the individuals though, much of the fault lies in outdated and/or heavy-handed training methods.

Even if he couldn't foresee that the guy would have ended up in a coma from being slammed to the ground in that manner, he should have at least been aware of that risk... which makes his actions "reckless" indeed, it doesn't have to be knowing or intentional for it to be illegal.

---------------

Kaliman, to say that "he should not have run" is like saying Gates should not have mouthed off at Crowley.  True... but besides the point.  Poor judgment by a civilian should not be an excuse for police abuse.  It's not against the law to run from the cops.... believe it or not.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 11:46:27 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 06:17:18 AM »
It does look like the guy was stopping but we only see a snapshot of the chase. He may have slowed down similarly at other points during the chase to change direction or evade the cop.

I not disagreeing with yuh on what he could have done in the situation, I just think that is plenty to process, especially while doing a physically exerted. My view is that the cop had been chasing this guy for a while and was near his wits end at that point and made a choice that was expedient and in the final analysis not well-thought out.

It is a double edged sword on judging this circumstances because while you don’t want to protect abusive cops you don’t want to demonize those who make a genuine mistake such that all we are eventually left with is bad cops.

1]; } ?>