March 28, 2024, 07:20:15 AM

Author Topic: Guerra denies Connection three points in Couva-Clásico.  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Guerra denies Connection three points in Couva-Clásico.
« on: October 29, 2014, 06:47:34 AM »
Guerra denies Connection three points in Couva-Clásico.
ttproleague.com.

Ataullah Guerra appeared off the bench on Tuesday night to earn league leaders Central FC a late 1-1 draw against Couva-rivals W Connection in a rescheduled 2014-2015 Digicel Pro League Round One Match Day Two fixture, in which both goals were produced following penalty decisions.

Connection took a 1-0 lead in the 40th minute when full-back Kurt Frederick buried a penalty rebound past former “Savonnetta Boys”’ goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams, who initially produced a low save to his right to keep out forward Hashim Arcia’s hit from the spot.

Connection, who edged the “Couva Sharks” 1-0 on September 20 to win a third consecutive Digicel Charity Shield, won the penalty a minute earlier when referee Neal Brizan blew his whistle and pointed to the spot after Surinamese forward Dimitrie Apai went to ground just inside the area in contest with Central’s 39-year-old veteran midfielder-turned-defender Marvin Oliver.

However the defending league champions weren’t happy in the 83rd minute when Brizan pointed to the spot again, this time awarding Central a penalty following defender Alvin Jones’ follow-through on his Trinidad and Tobago Senior Team teammate Guerra, who went to ground near the same area as Apai.

“It was a good match but I feel we deserved the three points,” W Connection captain and midfielder Gerard Williams told ttproleague.com following the match. “We created many chances but only scored one and then later in the game Brizan gave them a penalty.”

Guerra, a 61st minute replacement for Nathaniel Garcia, levelled the score 1-1 in the 85th minute by burying his penalty kick to the left of goalkeeper Jelani Archibald, who creditably had glove to the ball.

“We deserved a win,” insisted Central FC captain and midfielder Leston Paul. “(…) because we played some excellent football… not taking anything away from W Connection, who are a very good team. I think we had a couple chances which we should have taken.”

Paul was guilty of a failed attempt in the 7th minute when he side-footed overbar on an excellent scoring opportunity off a well-placed Darren Mitchell cross from the right.

On the opposite end on the 25th minute mark Connection’s diminutive Apai, played into the area by an Akeem Garcia pass, tried to lob ‘keeper Williams but the Central and T&T number one executed a comfortable take above his head.

However after making his overall seventh shutout from the penalty spot this season – six of which were evenly shared in kicks from the penalty spot in the quarterfinal and semi-final rounds of the First Citizens Cup – Williams was unable to stop the rebound as Connection took the lead.

Central, who must next tackle North East Stars in the Final of the 2014 First Citizens Cup on Friday 31 October from 8.15 pm at the Ato Boldon Stadium, created an opening a minute inside the second period but after twisting and turning his way inside the area, N. Garcia directed his effort at Archibald and the St. Kitts/Nevis international made a comfortable gather.

Connection with a good build-up in the 52nd minute completed the move with T&T Under-20 attacker A. Garcia curling his effort wide of Williams far upright.

The “Savonnetta Boys” got close again in the 56th minute when Neil Benjamin sent a low cross across the face of goal but Tremain Shayn Paul was unable to make contact with the goal at his mercy and only managed a pass to Arcia, who struck overbar.

Benjamin then took it upon himself in the 63rd minute and was a foot high of Williams' crossbar from distance.

Williams was forced into action in the 73rd minute as Connection pressed for the winner when seconds onto the pitch and his first touch of the ball, St. Kitts/Nevis international Devaughn Elliot, who replaced A. Garcia, was partially denied by the Central ‘goalie before the ball was cleared off the line by Mitchell.

Williams produced another save a minute later when he pushed wide and out for a corner a crack at goal from Arcia.

But with five minutes of regular time remaining Central, on a masterstroke by coach Zoran Vranes, got the equaliser from Guerra to remain at the top of the league standings with 7 points, ahead of Defence Force and North East Stars, both with six points, while Connection, earning first point from two games, occupy seventh position.

Last season the head-to-head of seven bitter meetings between Connection and Central, led then by Englishman Terry Fenwick, stood at a deadlock of 3 wins and 1 draw each.

Now following two meetings between the powerhouses this season, many believe the rivalry has lost its sting since the departure of Fenwick, who picked up a coaching role at Belgium lower division side CS Vise.

But according to the Central FC and W Connection captains, the rivalry between both side is very much present.

“I must say the rivalry is still present,” said Central’s Paul. “Coach Terry (Fenwick) isn’t here but the teams are the similar teams and both teams have the passion to go out and fight for a win. No one wants to go out and come away with a loss.”

W Connection’s captain G. Williams said, “The rivalry is still present between both teams. They don’t want us beat them and we don’t want them to beat them. I think the rivalry is still there.”

Rescheduled Round One Match Day Two Result

Central FC 1 (Ataullah Guerra 85-Pen) vs W Connection 1 (Kurt Frederick 40)

Teams

Central FC: 21. Jan-Michael Williams (Yellow Card), 6. Leston Paul (C), 19. Nathaniel Garcia (45. Ataullah Guerra 61st), 5. Akeem Benjamin, 99. Dwight Quintero, 11. Darren Mitchell, 15. Kaydion Gabriel (7. Jason Marcano 72nd), 10. Marvin Oliver, 23. Denzil Daniel, 28. Miguel Romeo (Yellow Card) (27. Shaquille Williams 79th), 13. Seon Thomas

Unused substitutes: 30. Akel Clarke (GK), 14. Jean-Luc Rochford, 17. Marcelle Francois, 8. Sean de Silva

Coach: Zoran Vranes

W Connection: 18. Jelani Archibald, 3. Gerard Williams (C) (Yellow Card), 2. Kurt Frederick (13. Devaughn Elliot 71st), 5. Mekeil Williams, 11. Tremain Shayn Paul, 14. Hashim Arcia, 29. Akeem Garcia (13. Devaughn Elliot 72nd), 39. Alvin Jones (Yellow Card), 65. Neil Benjamin Jr. (30. Aaquil Campbell 80th), 32. Dimitrie Apai, 19. Leslie Joel Russell

Unused substitutes: 1. Terrence Lewis (GK), 36. Triston Hodge, 17. Jamal Clarence, 16. Anslem Jackson, 4. Jamil Joseph

Coach: Stuart Charles-Fevrier

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Guerra denies Connection three points in Couva-Clásico.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 11:36:42 AM »
Plaza ? Winchester ? minor leagues ?
add: How come whenever I ask bout these guys, is silence, like ah asking for Goro in Ninja II ? ah pelting shirukens or what ?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 03:29:28 PM by maxg »

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 08:15:42 PM »
add: How come whenever I ask bout these guys, is silence, like ah asking for Goro in Ninja II ? ah pelting shirukens or what ?

LOL. They are both training with Central. We have applied for their registration via the FIFA TMS. However, there appears to be nobody at Vise to upload their side. I have enlisted the help of Sheldon Phillips and he has in turn obtained information from FIFA's legal people confirming the validity of our case. We are also hoping to obtain a temporary registration until the situations are fully resolved.

The main issue was that they were transferring their registration internationally outside of the transfer window. Everyone in T&T is onside but we still need compliance from Vise or a ruling from FIFA to finalise everything.

Trust me, we want these guys in Central jerseys!

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:41:23 PM »

LOL. They are both training with Central. We have applied for their registration via the FIFA TMS. However, there appears to be nobody at Vise to upload their side. I have enlisted the help of Sheldon Phillips and he has in turn obtained information from FIFA's legal people confirming the validity of our case. We are also hoping to obtain a temporary registration until the situations are fully resolved.

The main issue was that they were transferring their registration internationally outside of the transfer window. Everyone in T&T is onside but we still need compliance from Vise or a ruling from FIFA to finalise everything.

Do you have anything lined up for them to go back abroad?? Rundell especially, how about Genk cuz Sancho said he had trials for Garcia but maybe u all should push for more serious players

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 07:07:45 AM »

thanks FS. good they keeping fit, and staying ready in case of National Team selection.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 07:08:24 AM »

Do you have anything lined up for them to go back abroad?? Rundell especially, how about Genk cuz Sancho said he had trials for Garcia but maybe u all should push for more serious players

Have a number of options for 4 of our players in Europe and MLS. However, our priority is to win the CCC so we would ideally prefer any moves to take place at the end of the season. Much will depend on the players views.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:09:54 AM »

thanks FS. good they keeping fit, and staying ready in case of National Team selection.

Spoke to Stephen Hart on Tuesday. He's frustrated because he has already had to submit his squad way in advance of the games. So it's too late for these two this time.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 10:11:42 AM »
I saw de penalty Central got and to me that should not have been a penalty.

Central get lucky they.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>