June 16, 2024, 01:50:18 AM

Author Topic: Tobagonian in action  (Read 10153 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Tobagonian in action
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 06:29:15 AM »
Much ado about lil bit.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 08:36:46 AM »
I never understand the Jealousy behind it's one nation u born in Tobago u still a trinidadian if u born Trinidad u still tobagonian anyway iono like ppl keep forgettin its one Nation... Nothing against u freakazoid hope u get them to change it to make u feel better...

Uh....hmmmm...um....eh?....wha??....

In other words, ah speechless....yuh serious??....really?? 
Aye thats the way i look at it... Doh matter what island yuh born, u from Trinidad & Tobago not just tobago or just Trinidad u can disagree but yes am very serious...

Sooooo you really think folks who born and grow up in Trinidad go around telling people they are Tobgonians and that the reverse holds true as well??....you reeeeaaaalllllyyyyy think that??.....honest???....for real???... :-\
Hell nah what u said really doh make sense and i eh being rude... am saying we go around saying we from Trinidad & Tobago thats all not that difficult to understand... I live NY if someone ask me where i from i say Trinidad & Tobago and i was born in Trinidad... isn't that the correct and simple way...
Nobody really says that. Anybody asks me where I'm from, I say Trinidad. And I'd wager that the same holds true for 99.9% of Trinidadians. The Tobago part is usually an afterthought. And I appreciate when Tobagonians pull us up and bring it to our attention.

speak for yourself.

I even had a hard time when i meet a lot of french speaking africans as they usually ask me where i from, and when i say Trinidad and Tobago, they just hear the end of the sentence and say...oh Tobago....right. Dwight Yorke!

Ah aunt of mine used to study up dey a long time ago, and all her mail to her parents use to come back with a Togo stamp saying, address unknown.

Go figure...

Anyway, on the topic, as far as I'm concerned a Trini, is a Trinidadian, i.e. someone from Trinidad and Tobago. Trinbagonians in action just doesn't have that ring to it.

I sure none of the people who complaining about this does call people from the island to the north, Grenadians, Carriacouans and Petit Martiniquans...you does just say Grenadians, right?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »
Why Tobagonians does carry this chip on their shoulder so?
Allyuh always feelin left out.
Steups.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2009, 09:00:29 AM »
I never understand the Jealousy behind it's one nation u born in Tobago u still a trinidadian if u born Trinidad u still tobagonian anyway iono like ppl keep forgettin its one Nation... Nothing against u freakazoid hope u get them to change it to make u feel better...

Uh....hmmmm...um....eh?....wha??....

In other words, ah speechless....yuh serious??....really?? 
Aye thats the way i look at it... Doh matter what island yuh born, u from Trinidad & Tobago not just tobago or just Trinidad u can disagree but yes am very serious...

Sooooo you really think folks who born and grow up in Trinidad go around telling people they are Tobgonians and that the reverse holds true as well??....you reeeeaaaalllllyyyyy think that??.....honest???....for real???... :-\
Hell nah what u said really doh make sense and i eh being rude... am saying we go around saying we from Trinidad & Tobago thats all not that difficult to understand... I live NY if someone ask me where i from i say Trinidad & Tobago and i was born in Trinidad... isn't that the correct and simple way...

:thumbsup:

I can't see what so difficult to understand there!

The only problem we are having is that saying the words Trinidad & Tobago or Trinbago is a bit of a mouthfull not just for most Trinis but foreigners as well so most folks find it much easier to refer to folks born in Trinidad & Tobago as Trinis!

Maybe Tringos as someone suggested is a more descriptive abbreviation but after 47 years of tradition of referring to folks born in T&T as Trinis it will be hard to get the abbreviation Tringos to catch on plus it sounds a bit too Latino.

The world generally refers to folks born in Trinidad & Tobago as Trinis, let’s just accept this reality without getting a chip on our shoulders and move on!

Someone made a good point above about folks from Grenada, Carriacou & Petit Martinique, do they get a chip on their shoulders for all being referred to as Greenz?

Also folks from St Vincent & the Grenadines, do they get a chip on their shoulders for being all referred to as Vincies?  ::)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:25:58 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2009, 11:58:56 AM »
Someone made a good point above about folks from Grenada, Carriacou & Petit Martinique, do they get a chip on their shoulders for all being referred to as Greenz?

Also folks from St Vincent & the Grenadines, do they get a chip on their shoulders for being all referred to as Vincies?  ::)

I don't think the Grenadian analogy is a good one... close, but ultimately not that useful since the official name is Grenada.  Better would be to consider SVG and SKN.  Vincies are just that, Vincies... encompassing the main islands and the Grenadines.  St. Kitts and Nevis is a bit more complicated as Nevisians have the same gripes (the list is almost verbatim) as Tobagonians.  Still, most recognize that "Kittian" encompasses both islands.

I've refrained from jumping into the fray this time, and indeed this will be my last contribution on the matter.  I've had this discussion before and know enough to know that for Tobagonians they genuinely feel slighted.  However, it might be helpful to put aside personal grievances and think practically if not objectively.  "Trinis" is slang/a nickname, reserved for casual conversation... nobody is going to take the time to give chapter and verse, perfect title reference in casual settings.  Do we refer to the US as "The United States of America" in anything but formal discussions?  How about the UK?  Isn't it good enough that we use "TnT" to give some reference to our mindset of NOT trying to exclude Tobagonians?

I know that as a person born and bred in Trinidad, when I used "Trini" by no means is it meant to indicate an identity separate from Tobagonians,  that would be silly.

However, I can't tell a next man what to feel slighted over... to the subjective mind perception often trumps reality.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:00:45 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2009, 12:08:52 PM »
Still, most recognize that "Kittian" encompasses both islands.

Kittitian

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2009, 12:25:19 PM »

I don't think the Grenadian analogy is a good one... close, but ultimately not that useful since the official name is Grenada.

Greenz is basically an abbreviation for Grenadian so both words refer to the same island or group of islands!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2009, 12:41:58 PM »
Greenz is basically an abbreviation for Grenadian so both words refer to the same island or group of islands!

I think you missed my point... the official name of the group of islands is "Grenada"... one word.  An abbreviation of that one word would similarly suffice to describe all residents of the country.

Our official name is Trinidad AND Tobago... any abbreviation arguably (and to the Tobagonians point) would need to reflect the names of both islands... arguably.  Which is why I suggested SVG and SKN instead... that is a better comparison as they show how other countries deal with the issue, by using one nickname to represent the nationality.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2009, 01:07:01 PM »

tobago is 300 sq km (116 sq mi).    grenada, Carriacou, and Petite Martinique is 340 sq km (131 sq mi).  st vincent  and the grenadines is 344 sq km (133 sq mi).

and i have friends from grenada carriacou   and in st vincent. i once called my friend from carriacou  a grenadian and he instantly corrected me

what I trying to say is  tobago is basically the same size as these islands when they are combined so....

The fact that ppl want to be so bold face  2 say that trini supposed to mean TNT really makes me understand how certain groups in history behaved the way they did. As george orwell  said in animal farm some ppl are more equal than others
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2009, 02:24:24 PM »
Steups.

hhhhhhmmmm ha lord.....forgive him.... ::)

Now to be honest I never had a problem with the thread title "Trinis in action"......maybe if there were more Tobagoninans in action then maybe, maybe, I'd draw attention to it...

My pet peeve is referring to the team as "Trinidad" and similar infractions....and I've come to realise that its not something that is generally done intentionally, but ah going to correct the error when made...doh feel all yuh getting away... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2009, 02:35:28 PM »

tobago is 300 sq km (116 sq mi).    grenada, Carriacou, and Petite Martinique is 340 sq km (131 sq mi).  st vincent  and the grenadines is 344 sq km (133 sq mi).

and i have friends from grenada carriacou   and in st vincent. i once called my friend from carriacou  a grenadian and he instantly corrected me

what I trying to say is  tobago is basically the same size as these islands when they are combined so....

The fact that ppl want to be so bold face  2 say that trini supposed to mean TNT really makes me understand how certain groups in history behaved the way they did. As george orwell  said in animal farm some ppl are more equal than others

We need to get the chip off our shoulders and accept the fact that to the world at large and Trinbagonians who are not insecure about who they are, the word Trini is regarded as an abbreviation for folks of Trinidad & Tobago nationality.

We need to stop labouring the point and accept that the word Trini sweetly rolls off the tongue and has been popularly used since 1962 by most folks with some intelligence to describe folks of T&T nationality.

It’s time to face this reality, remove the chip from our shoulders and move on!

When I say Trini, both you and I know exactly what I mean!
Maybe we need to put it in our local T&T dictionary to squash this insular argument.

Trini – Abbreviation for someone born in either of the islands of Trinidad or Tobago who is automatically of Trinidad & Tobago nationality as will be reflected in their passport of travel which they will have to show when they travel outside of the twin islands.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:53:08 PM by Socapro »

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2009, 02:38:24 PM »

We need to get the chip off our shoulders and accept the fact that to the world at large and Trinbagonians who are not insecure about who they are, the word Trini is regarded as an abbreviation for folks of Trinidad & Tobago nationality.

We need to stop labouring the point and accept that the word Trini sweetly rolls off the tongue and has been popularly since 1962 by most folks with some intelligence to describe folks of T&T nationality.

It’s time to fact this reality, remove the chip from our shoulders and move on!

Maybe we need to put it in our local T&T dictionary to squash this insular argument.

Trini – Someone born in either of the islands of Trinidad or Tobago who is automatically of Trinidad & Tobago nationality as will be reflect in their passport of travel which they will have to show when they travel outside of the twin islands.

How de f**k you come up wid da shit dey? 

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2009, 02:40:46 PM »

We need to stop labouring the point and accept that the word Trini sweetly rolls off the tongue and has been popularly since 1962 by most folks with some intelligence to describe folks of T&T nationality.

It’s time to fact this reality, remove the chip from our shoulders and move on!

Trini – Someone born in either of the islands of Trinidad or Tobago who is automatically of Trinidad & Tobago nationality as will be reflect in their passport of travel which they will have to show when they travel outside of the twin islands.

How de f**k you come up wid da shit dey?  

Because I am a Trini and that was the year I was born and I hearing the term Trini being used since I can remember?  8)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:47:42 PM by Socapro »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »

I born in Trinidad, grow up in Tobago.....lambeau, bacolet, mt grace, went scarborough RC....and make meh way back to Trinidad.  I does try meh bess here when referrin to my country as Trinbago or we people as Trinbagonians or we national team as Trinidad & Tobago.  I understand very well how Tobagonians does feel slighted by Trinidadians.

But doh come and tell me you feel people bein bold face because dey use Trini as an all inclusive terminolgy for people from Trinidad & Tobago.  Dat is jes plain assness and frankly exposes an insecurity that need not be present.

I repeat.  Much ado bout lil bit....with all due respeck.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2009, 04:24:24 PM »

I born in Trinidad, grow up in Tobago.....lambeau, bacolet, mt grace, went scarborough RC....and make meh way back to Trinidad.  I does try meh bess here when referrin to my country as Trinbago or we people as Trinbagonians or we national team as Trinidad & Tobago.  I understand very well how Tobagonians does feel slighted by Trinidadians.

But doh come and tell me you feel people bein bold face because dey use Trini as an all inclusive terminolgy for people from Trinidad & Tobago.  Dat is jes plain assness and frankly exposes an insecurity that need not be present.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: cant understand the big deal, it is an abbreviation, jeez
I pity the fool....

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: cant understand the big deal, it is an abbreviation, jeez

Jus because yuh doh understand doesn't mean it isn't real for them.  I believe some are overly sensative and insecure though, because the reality is it really is simply an abbreviated term that I think most know represents Trinidad and Tobago.  I have friends from Tobago that does say they are trini to simply avoid any long conversation about it.  If yuh lime with them and they start reminiscin then yuh realize they from Tobago.  Maybe because dem in foreign dem eh studyin dat but is not de fus time I hear 'bago peeps complaining bout dis.  I cah tell ah man he need to get over he grief, all I could say is think about it reasonably and maybe they might realize is not a slight as they normally see it.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2009, 06:18:21 PM »
so change it to trinbagonians in action, why not? a trini is a trini and a tobagonian is a tobagonian, the man have a point...

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2009, 06:40:14 PM »
Much ado about lil bit.

I fine so...then again maybe I shouldn't talk cuz I chose to identify myself by mih hometown...

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2009, 06:44:36 PM »

I have to laugh at some of your all responses and how myopic some views are.

Since allyuh so bright........what does trini abbreviate?  lawd father  TRINIDAD
 thats the whole point of this damn thread.  no sensible person can tell me  that the abbreviation trini  or TRI means trinidad and tobago. once u can honestly see that then mi wuk here done

seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2009, 06:49:21 PM »
Steups.

Now to be honest I never had a problem with the thread title "Trinis in action"......maybe if there were more Tobagoninans in action then maybe, maybe, I'd draw attention to it...

My pet peeve is referring to the team as "Trinidad" and similar infractions....and I've come to realise that its not something that is generally done intentionally, but ah going to correct the error when made...doh feel all yuh getting away... ;D

And, your point has been well-taken. Every now and again there's de lil kix on it, but you've been absolutely correct. I  applaud yuh fuh that. On de real ... :applause: :applause: :applause:

What I find lamentable is the comments about getting over the chip on de shoulder. Socapro? There is a legitimate sense of 'something palpable' that has resided with Tobagonians. Doh fight it, try to understand it.

It's a curious set up: Tobagonians can be Trinis by reason of citizenship and culture, but Trinidadians really cyah ever be Tobagonians. So be it. Yuh doh hadda stretch too much to find parallels in life. As Cool Beans suggested earlier in the thread, it's easy for the majority to be dismissive of a minority.

Finally, anybody who knows the history of Tobago ought appreciate that this 'palpable something' has roots across generations. It may be much ado about seemingly a lil bit, but things build up over time. Hey, at least the notion of 'nation' has matured because there was a time when 'Tobagonians' were irrefutably the proverbial stepchildren.

Anyway, when I think of Dwight ... I think Trinidad & Tobago, buh admittedly ... fuh nuff peeps it takes a flash out in de Cold to be inclusive.

One love.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:05:57 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2009, 06:55:24 PM »
I think you have a problem freakazoid ,and you messing with the harmony of the board .Do you you even live in tobago ? Hell  I tell ppl am from trinidad ....but if they say it sounds nice and they want to visit ,..i say you should go Tobago.that make you feel nicer.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2009, 07:05:45 PM »
Waiz the old saying ,cut off your nose to spite yah face .

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2009, 07:07:35 PM »
quagmire like u want mi to cuss bad word boy?  ( and i doh cuss eh) so wait nah jus asking for the tread TRINI in action to be changed so that it truly represents the fact that 2 unique islands make up this country is messing with d harmony of d board? no really ? u understand what u jus say? well type. do you? wow. no i dont live in tobago. the nerve of u to question  that. ( i live on d AND). is ah good thing  aslumseeker  talk some common sense. cause i woulda seriously give up hope

o by  the way i do live in tobago but what does that have to do with anything?

my mother is Trinidadian  so is my wife and my many brothers sisters aunts uncles and cousins o yeah and mi grandfather too. yea and mi mom from laventille . i jus giving yuh info nah quagmire in  case u need to diagnose me

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2009, 07:10:15 PM »
I thought u live in london . Doh say you have so many Trinidad connections yah giving Trini a bad name .

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2009, 07:38:27 PM »
What no reply ,yah rite ,I woulda do the same thing . Yah should go for a nice swim ,eat some good Earth food and chill yah c**t .Hell MF you living in a paradise on Earth and still yah eint happy ,cause ppl eint giving yah props .steuppss .
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:43:59 PM by Quagmire »

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2009, 08:32:55 PM »
It have ah phase for what alyah trying to do eh ..is called Treason against the state ....Sedition. 

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2009, 08:47:26 PM »
I never bad talk Tobago in my whole life ,I love Tobago ..am so proud of it ,and I never meet someone who did on this board ...or anywhere really , ,but am meeting ppl from Tobago  who bad mouth Trinidad ,..so tell me who hates who ?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:02:05 PM by Quagmire »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2009, 10:43:15 PM »
Steups.

And, your point has been well-taken. Every now and again there's de lil kix on it, but you've been absolutely correct. I  applaud yuh fuh that. On de real ... :applause: :applause: :applause:

What I find lamentable is the comments about getting over the chip on de shoulder. Socapro? There is a legitimate sense of 'something palpable' that has resided with Tobagonians. Doh fight it, try to understand it.

It's a curious set up: Tobagonians can be Trinis by reason of citizenship and culture, but Trinidadians really cyah ever be Tobagonians. So be it. Yuh doh hadda stretch too much to find parallels in life. As Cool Beans suggested earlier in the thread, it's easy for the majority to be dismissive of a minority.

Finally, anybody who knows the history of Tobago ought appreciate that this 'palpable something' has roots across generations. It may be much ado about seemingly a lil bit, but things build up over time. Hey, at least the notion of 'nation' has matured because there was a time when 'Tobagonians' were irrefutably the proverbial stepchildren.

Anyway, when I think of Dwight ... I think Trinidad & Tobago, buh admittedly ... fuh nuff peeps it takes a flash out in de Cold to be inclusive.

One love.

You say "It's a curious set up: Tobagonians can be Trinis by reason of citizenship and culture, but Trinidadians really cyah ever be Tobagonians."

Please show me where in T&T law that is written? That is your warped interpretation my friend!

So are you trying to tell me that Shadow cyah be a Tobagonian just like Palos because he was born in Trindad but grow up in Tobago?

I never hear more dotishness in my life!! I guess Sparrow cyah be a Trini then despite where he grow up and learn his culture... now allyuh see how dotish this could get?!

As I said before the world at large use Trini as abbreviation for folks of Trinidad & Tobago nationality mainly because it’s easier to say than Trinbagonian and rolls off the tongue. We have to live with the reality that as far as speaking is concerned the word Trinbagonian is still too much of a mouthful and will always end up being abbreviated down to Trini or even Bago. I was born in Trinidad but won't mind if someone called me Bago for short if in their mind that is meant to be an abbreviation for someone of Trinidad & Tobago nationality. The reality is that the abbreviation Trini is far the most popularly used one worldwide and will continue to be used until the day we die and for generations to come. If that is too hard to live with then I expect a lot of suicides in the morning!

Consider this, I was born in Sando so should I get peeved when folks totally ignore that I from South Trinidad and refer to me as a Trini for example? I hope allyuh could see how insecure I would come across if I was to start getting upset bout that!

The reality some folks here need to face is this:
Trinidad is part of Trindad & Tobago
Tobago is part of Trindad and Tobago
San Fernando is an area in Trinidad
Scarborough is an area in Tobago
Trini is an abbreviation for Trini(dad) as well as for Trini(dad & Tobago)
Bago is an abbreviation for (To)bago as well as for (Trinidad & To)bago.

How you personally decide to interpret an abbreviation does not change the intension of the user.

So in summary Trini is an abbreviation for either a Trinidad & Tobagonian or a Trinidadian it all depends on the intension of the person using it rather than the other way round.
If someone wants to view it differently despite the intension then there is little you can do about it other than to hope they can get over their insecurity and face reality.

I done with this topic as you can take a horse to the water.....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:15:19 PM by Socapro »

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2009, 01:54:19 AM »

Ahmmm , ah doh know if this relevant but when people here ask mih where ah from an ah say
  " Trinidad and Tobago"

They does say with a confused look   " Triniii...... ahh yes TOBAGO " and then they smile like if they just win in de cash cab.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2009, 08:37:15 AM »
Steups.

One love.

You say "It's a curious set up: Tobagonians can be Trinis by reason of citizenship and culture, but Trinidadians really cyah ever be Tobagonians."

Please show me where in T&T law that is written? That is your warped interpretation my friend!

So are you trying to tell me that Shadow cyah be a Tobagonian just like Palos because he was born in Trindad but grow up in Tobago?

I never hear more dotishness in my life!! I guess Sparrow cyah be a Trini then despite where he grow up and learn his culture... now allyuh see how dotish this could get?!

As I said before the world at large use Trini as abbreviation for folks of Trinidad & Tobago nationality mainly because it’s easier to say than Trinbagonian and rolls off the tongue. We have to live with the reality that as far as speaking is concerned the word Trinbagonian is still too much of a mouthful and will always end up being abbreviated down to Trini or even Bago. I was born in Trinidad but won't mind if someone called me Bago for short if in their mind that is meant to be an abbreviation for someone of Trinidad & Tobago nationality. The reality is that the abbreviation Trini is far the most popularly used one worldwide and will continue to be used until the day we die and for generations to come. If that is too hard to live with then I expect a lot of suicides in the morning!

Consider this, I was born in Sando so should I get peeved when folks totally ignore that I from South Trinidad and refer to me as a Trini for example? I hope allyuh could see how insecure I would come across if I was to start getting upset bout that!

The reality some folks here need to face is this:
Trinidad is part of Trindad & Tobago
Tobago is part of Trindad and Tobago
San Fernando is an area in Trinidad
Scarborough is an area in Tobago
Trini is an abbreviation for Trini(dad) as well as for Trini(dad & Tobago)
Bago is an abbreviation for (To)bago as well as for (Trinidad & To)bago.

How you personally decide to interpret an abbreviation does not change the intension of the user.

So in summary Trini is an abbreviation for either a Trinidad & Tobagonian or a Trinidadian it all depends on the intension of the person using it rather than the other way round.
If someone wants to view it differently despite the intension then there is little you can do about it other than to hope they can get over their insecurity and face reality.

I done with this topic as you can take a horse to the water.....

I do.

1]; } ?>