March 29, 2024, 02:29:17 AM

Author Topic: gosh man newsday, allyuh rel wutless  (Read 9911 times)

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
gosh man newsday, allyuh rel wutless
« on: August 31, 2009, 09:55:50 AM »
probably is jus me but i find that the front page of today's newsday was totally outta order..jes to sell ah papers???!!

http://www.newsday.co.tt/frontpage/0,106447.html

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: gosh man newsday, allyuh rel wutless
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 10:03:55 AM »
Very disturbing picture and utterly uncalled for.

What a shocking lack of sensitivity.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:06:14 AM »
Express have something similar. The manage to say happy Independence in a little corner too.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:13:37 AM »
Very disturbing picture and utterly uncalled for.

What a shocking lack of sensitivity.

Cosign
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 10:21:36 AM »
For f**k sake!!!  :-\

Somebody should sue them...with or with out grounds. shit man
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
WDF

Seein that just sour my day.

WDF newsday.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 10:46:16 AM »
Wow... WTF?!

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 01:04:19 PM »
Disgraceful. They not even trying to make a statement about careless driving. Pigs
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 01:36:14 PM »
Messed up, anything to sell papers.......But that is too far ::) ???
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 02:11:36 PM »
mankind jus doh have a conscience again.

RIP little baby  :'(
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 02:13:07 PM »
Now tell me dat is a dolly or something. I cyah believe dat is ah dead child they have on de papers

Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 02:26:08 PM »
Yah know what ,sick as it is even if it make one person a better driver and  prevent them from killing someone else .............

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 02:29:44 PM »
This is d newspaper when dey burst on d scene say dey goin and focus on good news. U hear lie dat is lie
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 02:42:34 PM »
Now tell me dat is a dolly or something. I cyah believe dat is ah dead child they have on de papers

That's what I thought at first glance. What an incredibly thoughtless and inappropriate photo. RIP  :(

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 04:27:19 PM »
They are sooo wrong for that >:(

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 04:39:02 PM »
All yuh behaving like all yuh expect better from the Newsday....I remember about 4 - 5 years ago there was a story about some prisoner killing himself in prison or some story about somebody committing suicide....and dey put a big close up shot of the dead man on the front page....in all he gory glory....

I think I nearly bring back up mih breakfast that morning...ah say nah...the man have family....geez and ages!!!....steups...
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 04:41:43 PM »
RIP Mother and Baby
picture was uncalled for....how the popo/EMT/first responders ent cover the body?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 04:45:41 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 06:56:57 PM »
ahhh boy.RIP lil one.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 07:35:41 PM »
I know allyuh getting down on the Newsday eh..and what they do there is low but the big tragedy is the death of the child and not the fact that we have to see it, can't shoot the messenger...

Because of the picture the article reach this board and it probably reach plenty people home too. They miss the opportunity to make a clear statement about the sad losses that we experience on our roads but that is a powerful picture.

They did make a point of reporting and repeating that the child was on the mother's lap in the front seat.

No car seat of course but if the government doesn't mandate it why would people use it. If people have children in front seat all the time and nobody stopping them deaths will continue.

2020 my ass. I wonder how Manning and them does value the cost of life compared to the cost of implementing some kind of reform of road practices.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 07:42:54 PM »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 07:48:16 PM »
JDB, ah hear what ya sayin eh, buh oh gaum man
the family just lost TWO members....so no need for a picture
is like salt is de wound
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 08:54:22 PM »
Quick poll. how many of you live in the USA and UK?  I know in you live your life with usa customs,traditions and not used to them thing.  I know Trinidad newspaper does show dead bodies all the time. so thats normal

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 11:05:51 PM »

A picture speaks a thousand words, I too was saddened by the picture of this little innocent lying dead on the roadside, but yuh know what ? Apart from the bad driving, this baby was not properly secured in a car seat and strapped in.
The reports indicate that the baby was on her mother's lap in the front seat and on impact flew out of the car !!!

If this child was in a car seat strapped in and in the back she would be alive today.

Too many times I see children unprotected in cars back home and these parents who are supposed to love and care for them, they just  don't understand how important this safe guard is.

My heart bleeds for this baby but unless parents take responsibility it will not be last such picture.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 11:52:35 PM »
Disgraceful. They not even trying to make a statement about careless driving. Pigs

How can you speak to the mindset of the editor (or whomever it is that approved the use of the picture)?

I late to the discussion but I agree with JDB and Fishs... unfortunately this is indeed news, it's very upsetting news... but in a vaille qui vaille society like Trinidad this is precisely the kind of shock to the senses that the population needs.

That said... they opening deyself up to a nice IIED suit.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 02:20:01 AM »

How can you speak to the mindset of the editor (or whomever it is that approved the use of the picture)?

I late to the discussion but I agree with JDB and Fishs... unfortunately this is indeed news, it's very upsetting news... but in a vaille qui vaille society like Trinidad this is precisely the kind of shock to the senses that the population needs.

Using an image like this as an addendum to a news report where only factual information is supposed to be presented is hopelessly misguided and certainly not some great service to the country. After all, how can you, Fishs, and JDB speak to the mindset of the editor or person who approved the use of the image?

The gravity of this picture demands it be balanced by a thoughtful, throughly prepared  and respectfully presented editorial, so the family does not have to go relive hell twice. Instead we get a half-assed news report that ‘mentions’ the little girl was not wearing a seat belt or strapped into  a child seat with a grab-shot of this child catspraddle on the grass, offered up as some moral lesson for the good of the country? If it was your children or your little nieces or nephews lying there would you still share the same opinion?

I understand the point that you all are trying to get across to us. But this idea of shocking people into changing their attitudes has rarely if ever worked in T&T. And if this was the case here, it was a cheap, callous and unworthy attempt. That could never substitute for the kind of  individual and collective WORK needed to bring about changes in the attitudes of people in this place. And that is my opinion of the mindset of the people responsible for this...lazy at best...pure greed at worst. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:40:29 AM by ZANDOLIE »

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 05:04:24 AM »

Using an image like this as an addendum to a news report where only factual information is supposed to be presented is hopelessly misguided and certainly not some great service to the country. After all, how can you, Fishs, and JDB speak to the mindset of the editor or person who approved the use of the image?

The gravity of this picture demands it be balanced by a thoughtful, throughly prepared  and respectfully presented editorial, so the family does not have to go relive hell twice. Instead we get a half-assed news report that ‘mentions’ the little girl was not wearing a seat belt or strapped into  a child seat with a grab-shot of this child catspraddle on the grass, offered up as some moral lesson for the good of the country? If it was your children or your little nieces or nephews lying there would you still share the same opinion?

I understand the point that you all are trying to get across to us. But this idea of shocking people into changing their attitudes has rarely if ever worked in T&T. And if this was the case here, it was a cheap, callous and unworthy attempt. That could never substitute for the kind of  individual and collective WORK needed to bring about changes in the attitudes of people in this place. And that is my opinion of the mindset of the people responsible for this...lazy at best...pure greed at worst. 

That is your opinion and I respect it, however we see images of the horror of war, natural disasters and crime served to us on a daily basis by the big networks and we accept that.
The baby's life was taken because of the ignorance of adults and this picture may save at least one more from suffering the same fate.

My mother-in -law insists on taking her very young grand children with her in the car with them sitting next to her in the back seat , I bought 3 car seats to fix that.
She was not very appreciative but whenever I'm around would make sure they are fully strapped in. As soon as she has them to herself it's back to the old lazy habit.
I worked out that they think it is too much of  a bother to use the car seat for the short trips to church or super market, and of course since these are the more regular trips the same complacent attitude exsists for the longer journeys.
I am using this article to drive home the reality to her.
As I said if this baby's picture saves one innocent life then it was worth it.
Finally for the life of me I cannot see why it's the goverment at fault here, you have a duty of care to your children when they are in your control , how on earth can you leglislate against stupidity ?

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 05:58:39 AM »
Fishs, we all are saddened by what happended. And perhaps this child was just sent to this earth a sacrifical lamb to pay for the sins of we adults that should know better. I just think that the heartless, jamette way Newsday went about reporting it is symptomatic of the SAME mindset as adults who don't show concern for the saftey of themselves and others in their care.

And yeah legislatation cannot end stupidity. But by all means bring in tough laws that will see charges of criminal negligence brought up against people that do not properly secure children under a given age during motor vehicle transport. Fine they muddah cournt too. And they would do well to introduce some kind of demerit system, if one is not already in place. Vehicular manslaughter? God help them.

Benny Hinn must be laughing all now

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 06:03:02 AM »

The mindset of the editor is to sell papers and I am sure they were successful. But I am less bothered about the money that Newsday making than the fact that a you g child is dead through negligence. Newsday's sensationalism can at least have an effect on one child's life in the future.

I agree that they missed the opportunity to really drive the point home and even make this to make a deliberate wake-up call but...if they framed the photo in that light do you really think it would impact the family any less. If the father is already felling immeasurable pain and guilt I don’t think the picture will make a difference. As for aunts and uncles, I know who I would be vex at for this happening and it is not the papers.

On this we agree but nobody is doing the work, this photo will at least make somebody think twice. I maintain that the photo is not the problem in this situation
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2009, 06:19:04 AM »
Fishs, we all are saddened by what happended. And perhaps this child was just sent to this earth a sacrifical lamb to pay for the sins of we adults that should know better. I just think that the heartless, jamette way Newsday went about reporting it is symptomatic of the SAME mindset as adults who don't show concern for the saftey of themselves and others in their care.

And yeah legislatation cannot end stupidity. But by all means bring in tough laws that will see charges of criminal negligence brought up against people that do not properly secure children under a given age during motor vehicle transport. Fine they muddah cournt too. And they would do well to introduce some kind of demerit system, if one is not already in place. Vehicular manslaughter? God help them.

Benny Hinn must be laughing all now

I hear yuh, but we have tough laws for other things and most people just dont bother with them because of enforcement issues etc, and then you have the police that yuh not sure if they are crooks or something else.
For somethings in our country a lot of blame lies squarely on the shoulders of our leaders but people must take responsibility for their own actions in situations like these.
The 70yr that on bail right now for reckless or dangerous driving and vehicular manslaugther will probably die before his case is finished and we also have a 9 day memory, this picture though will lodge in your mind much longer.

BTW . I have not assumed anything about why the Newsday printed the picture and whether or not it is right or wrong fact is the picture was printed and I hope some good comes out of it

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2009, 06:29:04 AM »

The mindset of the editor is to sell papers and I am sure they were successful. But I am less bothered about the money that Newsday making than the fact that a you g child is dead through negligence. Newsday's sensationalism can at least have an effect on one child's life in the future.

I agree that they missed the opportunity to really drive the point home and even make this to make a deliberate wake-up call but...if they framed the photo in that light do you really think it would impact the family any less. If the father is already felling immeasurable pain and guilt I don’t think the picture will make a difference. As for aunts and uncles, I know who I would be vex at for this happening and it is not the papers.

On this we agree but nobody is doing the work, this photo will at least make somebody think twice. I maintain that the photo is not the problem in this situation

We don't know if an editorial using the picture would have been approved by the family probably because newsday probably never bothered to ask.

The picture IS part of the problem. The same thoughtlessness that makes an editor post an image of a dead child is the same thoughtless that makes people drive drunk, shoot people in cold blood, abandon their children and all the other stupid things that we do.

And as for allyuh who saying its worth it for a child to die, why ya'll don't offer up your own children to the cause?

1]; } ?>