March 28, 2024, 12:41:16 PM

Author Topic: gosh man newsday, allyuh rel wutless  (Read 9907 times)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: gosh man newsday, allyuh rel wutless
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2009, 06:37:55 AM »
The problem is enforcement for real. We don't have strong enforcement because our society has little conviction and next to no backbone.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 06:45:50 AM »
And as for allyuh who saying its worth it for a child to die, why ya'll don't offer up your own children to the cause?
Calm down Zando, NOBODY even come close to saying that.

You seem to be including the picture and the death as part of one single act when they are two separate occurences. One is tragic, the other is callous, insensitive and even greedy but no where near as grave as the first IMO.

On that we are free to disagree.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2009, 06:51:26 AM »
And as for allyuh who saying its worth it for a child to die, why ya'll don't offer up your own children to the cause?
Calm down Zando, NOBODY even come close to saying that.

You seem to be including the picture and the death as part of one single act when they are two separate occurences. One is tragic, the other is callous, insensitive and even greedy but no where near as grave as the first IMO.

On that we are free to disagree.

JDB I'm not intending to be ignorant, this just have meh blood hot.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2009, 07:13:43 AM »
People it hard for any law like that to be passed in T&T. How will you fight a law where a taxi carrying four or five people without a child seat in place. In T&T you know how much one ah dem seat cost?

To the average man they eh go be able to buy that. Just one too expensive to buy, imagine having to buy two or three? Where half the population eh have a car how you go fight that law when tanty and nenen carrying they grandchild somewhere and need ah nephew or neice to take them, who themself, don't have a child. Where dey finding a safety seat?

People think a little before talking about law for child seat. Trinidad society is totally different to developed countries who have a much better economy and have Families that have extra money to take they children on week vacations twice and three times a year in some nice expensive hotel in some other part of the world.

Most people just trying to get through the day in T&T. Where they finding money for a car seat when they got to travel with a friend or relative to see nenen? 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:37:36 AM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2009, 07:15:47 AM »
Quick poll. how many of you live in the USA and UK?  I know in you live your life with usa customs,traditions and not used to them thing.  I know Trinidad newspaper does show dead bodies all the time. so thats normal
yes it is true that TnT papers show these types of pictures all the time and I think THAT is the problem. People have become numb to seeing these pictures and probably turn off and dont fully appreciate the serious nature of the situations that they see photographed.
Is like there get shocked and dont want anything more to do with the story and therefore the root cause of it does not sink in.

Pass(10trini), your post reminds me of the picture that was posted on here showing an older man in a wheel chair being transported in the back of a pickup....very sad indeed

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:23:43 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2009, 07:34:14 AM »
WC I just giving people a little food for thought and I do remember that article.  :beermug:
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2009, 07:39:09 AM »
People it hard for any law like that to be passed in T&T. How will you fight a law where a taxi carrying four or five people without a child seat in place. In T&T you know how much one ah dem seat cost?

To the average man they eh go be able to buy that. Just one too expensive to buy, imagine having to buy two or three? Where half the population eh have a car how you go fight that law when tanty and nenen carrying they grandchild somewhere and need ah nephew or neice to take them, who themself, don't have a child. Where dey finding a safety seat?

People think a little before talking about law for child seat. Trinidad society is totally different to developed countries who have a much better economy and have Families that have extra money to take they children on week vacations twice and three times a year in some nice expensive hotel in some other part of the world.

Most people just trying to get through the day in T&T. Where they finding money for a car seat when they got to travel with a friend or relative to see nenen. 

You have a point to some extent but again is priorities, I must have bought about 6 baby  and child seats in my life so far (ah not gettiring snip) and always pass it on to somebody else like you would do with a playpen or crib.
A good child seat that adjust for a baby in Pricesmart is about 700 TTD. Dont tell me that most people cant afford that, certainly this couple should have , instead of spending money on christening and birthday parties you could buy a child seat.
I am sure few people in TT use cloth diapers but check the cost against disposables again a way to find money for a seat.
So whilst you have a point about Maxi Taxis and even conventional taxis it does not absolve the thousands that have cars and drive with their kids unprotected.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2009, 08:56:16 AM »
In the US there are programs to get car seats to ppl who can't afford them, either through subsidies or by giving them used seats.
Surely our gov't could use some of the helicopter/Tarouba/private jet money and start a similar program.
It more than worth it if it will save the lives of some citizens.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2009, 09:02:04 AM »

Most people just trying to get through the day in T&T. Where they finding money for a car seat when they got to travel with a friend or relative to see nenen? 

that is a weak argument. of course there are people who can't go out there and buy a seat off the shelf, but yuh have 9 months to save to buy a seat. that seat would last until your child is nearly 2 years old so yuh have plenty time to save for the next level up which will last for another 2 years then yuh onto the booster seat. children doh fall into yuh lap just so. same way yuh save yuh money to buy crib, pampers, pram, toys, clothes it should be the same with a car seat.

as fishs say, it come down to priorities. what yuh willing to sacrifice to make it happen? in too many cases people willing to sacrifice de child. you telling me big people fraid to drive on the road in Trinidad without a seatbelt but it alright for the children not to be strapped in? that making sense?

sacrifice, what are people willing to forfeit for their children's safety? is your child life worth more than fete, carnival costume, cable tv, trip to Movie Towne, rum, cigarettes, weed, football game, new shoes, yuh outside woman rent, rims, KFC for a few months???

maybe we just too damn backward to realize that we to blame for the foolishness on the roads. when it happen we doh get vex we only good to shrug we shoulders and say "only in T&T". we doh get outrage and demand changes, we doh hold each other accountable, we good for making excuses for others and we certainly not learning the lessons.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:03:52 AM by grimm01 »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2009, 09:21:01 AM »

that is a weak argument. of course there are people who can't go out there and buy a seat off the shelf, but yuh have 9 months to save to buy a seat. that seat would last until your child is nearly 2 years old so yuh have plenty time to save for the next level up which will last for another 2 years then yuh onto the booster seat. children doh fall into yuh lap just so. same way yuh save yuh money to buy crib, pampers, pram, toys, clothes it should be the same with a car seat.

as fishs say, it come down to priorities. what yuh willing to sacrifice to make it happen? in too many cases people willing to sacrifice de child. you telling me big people fraid to drive on the road in Trinidad without a seatbelt but it alright for the children not to be strapped in? that making sense?

sacrifice, what are people willing to forfeit for their children's safety? is your child life worth more than fete, carnival costume, cable tv, trip to Movie Towne, rum, cigarettes, weed, football game, new shoes, yuh outside woman rent, rims, KFC for a few months???

maybe we just too damn backward to realize that we to blame for the foolishness on the roads. when it happen we doh get vex we only good to shrug we shoulders and say "only in T&T". we doh get outrage and demand changes, we doh hold each other accountable, we good for making excuses for others and we certainly not learning the lessons.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: its about god damn time somebody said dis :applause:

I pity the fool....

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2009, 09:42:51 AM »

I disagree with that Sean.

A child car-seat is not that expensive compared to a motorcar or motorcar part. Using a car seat is a requirement for transporting a child, just as a starter, carburetor or front tire is a requirement for the car to operate.

Of course this is not our mindset and it will take a lot to change but that is part of development. Car-seats were not always a part of life in more developed countries but they make a decision to mandate it. Even seatbelts were completely alien to us 30 years ago are more a part of life now. And this is without the law being properly enforced.

Eventually it will come back to the old issue of enforcement with the argument being that even with the laws, lawlessness will ensue but I don’t buy that completely. That can’t be an excuse for the powers that be to not get the ball rolling. Right now even parents who want to use car seats have a problem because the cars imported do not have the proper anchors built in.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2009, 10:19:04 AM »
I hear everyone's point. But if you observe the defferent scenarios I gave you may be willing understand something as sensitive as this. This is not a law that can be mandated as of now. Things are still far from being able to pass this bill. Is like they trying to fight the PH Taxi but how you go put a total ban on something that bringing a ease on the public. At night when all them taxi man lock off who does hold things for the late working individual? When you and yuh gyul come out the dance and you want to get she in safe without having to fight up with a bandit in the wee hours ah the morning, who most likely go be dey to take alyuh home?

How you deal with the emergency situation, someone don't have a car and need a neighbour to take them somewhere fast. Where will the find the car seat?

I hear everybody but leh me hear from a local who in the fire talk first before I hear a bunch a foreign Trini in they nice living preach to me about excuses and backwardness.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:20:42 AM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2009, 01:09:27 PM »

Using an image like this as an addendum to a news report where only factual information is supposed to be presented is hopelessly misguided and certainly not some great service to the country. After all, how can you, Fishs, and JDB speak to the mindset of the editor or person who approved the use of the image?

The baby died.  The picture shows the dead baby.  Isn't that factual?

I challenge you to point out where I (I'll let Fishs and JDB speak for themselves) spoke to the mindset of the editor.  It's not my position that they did or DID NOT (as you stated) intend to send a message.  What I said, if you read carefully, is that the message of the picture (whether intentional or not) is precisely what the TnT populace needs to shock it into reality.

You say it's "misguided" but offer no rationale for the statement... just your own emotional perspective.

The gravity of this picture demands it be balanced by a thoughtful, throughly prepared  and respectfully presented editorial, so the family does not have to go relive hell twice.

Why does a newspaper article reporting a deadly accident require an editorial?  Because you say so?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2009, 01:23:01 PM »

How expensive you really think childseat is?  All these half-assed excuses is precisely why the country road fatalities is where it is.  The onus should be placed on taxi drivers and parents to ensure that child passengers are safely being transported.  Half the drivers inmplicated in these child fatalities probably disdain wearing seatbelts themselves.  Rather than criticize the proposals as being impractical, criticize the mentality that sees the law as a nuisance, not because the idea is a foreign import makes it impractical.  As Fishs say, it's a matter of priorities... they not going to spend money on a childseat when so many of them rather spend it on ah body kit, rims, clothes or mas costume.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2009, 01:48:43 PM »
What a piece of shit excuse for a newspaper....they also have the bingo results advertised right above, too! yipee!!
Hart for president

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »

Using an image like this as an addendum to a news report where only factual information is supposed to be presented is hopelessly misguided and certainly not some great service to the country. After all, how can you, Fishs, and JDB speak to the mindset of the editor or person who approved the use of the image?

The baby died.  The picture shows the dead baby.  Isn't that factual?

I challenge you to point out where I (I'll let Fishs and JDB speak for themselves) spoke to the mindset of the editor.  It's not my position that they did or DID NOT (as you stated) intend to send a message.  What I said, if you read carefully, is that the message of the picture (whether intentional or not) is precisely what the TnT populace needs to shock it into reality.

You say it's "misguided" but offer no rationale for the statement... just your own emotional perspective.

The gravity of this picture demands it be balanced by a thoughtful, throughly prepared  and respectfully presented editorial, so the family does not have to go relive hell twice.

Why does a newspaper article reporting a deadly accident require an editorial?  Because you say so?

1) This image is not presented as supporting material fact or 'proof'. It's intent is clearly to sell papers. So no, its context was CLEARLY NOT as a factual addenum.

2) Where on earth did I say a newspaper reporting a deadly accident requires an editorial?

3) Why should I have to justify to you or anyone else what I see as the minset of the editor/s? They greedy, ignorant and at best made a poor effort at to get a point accross. If you did not not make refeence to the editors mindset then good for you. But you certainly spoke to the mindset of the " TnT populace" by saying that somehow a picture of a dead baby could magically 'shock' the country into reality, whatever that is. Are you a trained sociologist or have some secret insight into trends in mass behavioural psychology that you can assert such a claim? Where are all the experimental data on dead babies that documents reckless drivers suddenly metamorphing into thoughtful, considerate folks?

What a piece of shit excuse for a newspaper....they also have the bingo results advertised right above, too! yipee!!

Newsday is all about service to the nation

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2009, 03:15:16 PM »
How you deal with the emergency situation, someone don't have a car and need a neighbour to take them somewhere fast. Where will the find the car seat?

From now on I eh takin you seriously.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2009, 04:31:47 PM »
1) This image is not presented as supporting material fact or 'proof'. It's intent is clearly to sell papers. So no, its context was CLEARLY NOT as a factual addenum.

Funny, the article talks about the death of a child, the photograph shows said deceased child... yet you arguing what the mindset of those publishing the picture is ("not presented as material supporting fact"... It's intent clearly is to sell papers..."

I can't speak to intent and all of that, the picture supports, corroborates and supplement's the story.  You can argue whether it was done in good taste but there's no arguing that simple FACT.

2) Where on earth did I say a newspaper reporting a deadly accident requires an editorial?

Sorry, English is the only language I speak fluently.  Apologies if I misunderstood you.[/color]

3) Why should I have to justify to you or anyone else what I see as the minset of the editor/s? They greedy, ignorant and at best made a poor effort at to get a point accross. If you did not not make refeence to the editors mindset then good for you.

You have a real fanciful imagination.  Who said you had to justify anything?  I made a comment that I don't see how you could speculate as to the mindset.  All you had to say was "In my emotional state right now this is what I see as the editors intent"... if you feel obligated to respond at all.

But you certainly spoke to the mindset of the " TnT populace" by saying that somehow a picture of a dead baby could magically 'shock' the country into reality, whatever that is. Are you a trained sociologist or have some secret insight into trends in mass behavioural psychology that you can assert such a claim? Where are all the experimental data on dead babies that documents reckless drivers suddenly metamorphing into thoughtful, considerate folks?

Your emotions again getting the better of you.  Nowhere did I say it would work, certainly never claimed any advanced degrees in telepathy, psychoanalysis or late-night television mind readingology as you seem to possess.  As a Trini interacting with Trinis, having grown up with Trinis, having driven on the roads in Trinidad... and having experienced the driving of other drivers I can certainly speak to the mentality of the people (particularly) drivers in TnT.

Just as the graphic nature of the photo grabbed your attention, and that of most folks on here, safe too to assume that it had a similar effect on many others.  Many will be outraged, many will be informed... many will be shocked into greater responsibility, not wanting for their kids to end up similar to this poor child.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2009, 05:33:41 PM »
Again where did I say a newspaper reporting a deadly accident requires an editorial???  Is not yuh English yuh should be wrorried about, is yuh obvious inability to follow a simple narrative not emanating from within your own head.  Bakes, lemme try again...routine reporting does not require editorial content. The image of a dead child splayed across a paper for everyone to see is not ‘routine’. The publishing of such an IMAGE should be accompanied by a editorial that matches it in sobriety and reflection. If you cannot grasp that then I’ll not continue to engage you on it.

Since when did stories on dead people require corroboration by showing pictures?   It couldn’t be any more obvious that Newsday’s sudden conversion to journalistic  integrity is entirely secondary to selling papers.  Similarly, if you can’t intelligently come to your own conclusions between motive, action and context in this particular case I’ll happily let you continue to babble.

I’m very much entitled to speculate about the editors mindset, and express my speculation as I see fit, in my personal life and on this website within the confines of what Flex and Tallman deem to be acceptable, as is everyone else on this site. So don’t come telling me what I should have said, or not said. Yeah I’m disgusted by this as I think we all are, but my ‘emotional state’ past or present, is completely independent of my conclusions. Newsday move like a c*nt.  And when I wake up tomorrow morning I’ll still hold that opinion. 

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2009, 06:20:44 PM »

I hear everybody but leh me hear from a local who in the fire talk first before I hear a bunch a foreign Trini in they nice living preach to me about excuses and backwardness.

I suppose I should not respond since i am a foreign trini.  However, my cousin and his wife are not foreign. They living right there in Carenege.  My god daughter is now 2.5 years and my cousin never, never, never drive she anywhere without a car seat.  And he is not some rich trini either, but he and his wife made sure they were able to secure a car seat.  If he could do it,  others can too.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2009, 06:33:41 PM »
This will be my last note on this subject.

I am not saying that there ultimately shouldn't be a law for a child seat but the initial outset there should be a lot of educating people on their role as a safety device. Also People's situation will have to improve tremendously before certain things can actually go into place.

Before taking this action probably they need to beef up the policing of the roadways make sure they take time to remove all faulty and dangerous vehicles from the road and strickly enforce codes and speed limits without hesitance. Take care of these basics then we could begin to talk on other subjects for life preservation.

What is needed is for someone to begin a thorough search for the possibility of having some sort of inexpensive device that can be used by all. I have actually seen a little device that can be used on the seat belt that made the seat belt usable for kids without causing a choking effect in the event of an accident.

This is some good debating and more of what is needed in the general society. Because believe me it have people in T&T who are very ignorant to such a thing as a carseat, who will think that is some kind of money making gimmick by somebody in the U S or somewhere.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 06:56:56 AM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2009, 08:53:52 PM »
Again where did I say a newspaper reporting a deadly accident requires an editorial???  Is not yuh English yuh should be wrorried about, is yuh obvious inability to follow a simple narrative not emanating from within your own head.  Bakes, lemme try again...routine reporting does not require editorial content. The image of a dead child splayed across a paper for everyone to see is not ‘routine’. The publishing of such an IMAGE should be accompanied by a editorial that matches it in sobriety and reflection. If you cannot grasp that then I’ll not continue to engage you on it.

What is there to "grasp"?  I disagree with you, plain and simple.  A picture tells a thousand words... "be careless by taking your child's life into your hands and this might be the outcome."  All this extra talk about me not being able "to follow a simple narrative" talk is just that, extra... just as you're being right now.

Since when did stories on dead people require corroboration by showing pictures?   It couldn’t be any more obvious that Newsday’s sudden conversion to journalistic  integrity is entirely secondary to selling papers.  Similarly, if you can’t intelligently come to your own conclusions between motive, action and context in this particular case I’ll happily let you continue to babble.

I hardly think anyone is saying that a picture accompanying the story is "required", not sure where you're getting that from.  The problem is that the image clearly has provoked a very visceral and emotional reaction in many.  Being among that number your focus is to attack the messenger and attribute all manners of ulterior motives to their actions.  Others are attempting to present an alternative perspective, one which says "regardless the motives of the editorial staff, the photo has the potential to serve a greater purpose".  If you disagree with that then such is your right.  I really don't see what the long talk is all about.

I’m very much entitled to speculate about the editors mindset, and express my speculation as I see fit, in my personal life and on this website within the confines of what Flex and Tallman deem to be acceptable, as is everyone else on this site. So don’t come telling me what I should have said, or not said. Yeah I’m disgusted by this as I think we all are, but my ‘emotional state’ past or present, is completely independent of my conclusions. Newsday move like a c*nt.  And when I wake up tomorrow morning I’ll still hold that opinion. 

By your own admission the photo has left you emotional... JDB has already once had to check you on letting the emotion seep into your posts to other respondents, I won't bother do the same.  We are having a discussion and you chose to respond in a defensive and at times antagonistic manner, go figure.  No one is questioning your right to your opinions, but if you post them in a public forum don't be dismayed if people dissect them and find fault with either them or the process by which you arrived at them.

Will probably be construed as me trying to tell you what to do yet again... but say what.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »
oh gorm fellahs..is papers de man was tryin to sell. Is newsday, it eh ha no backstory or narrative to teach in dat

how much time in de punch and bomb over de decades we see pics of dead people on de highway mangle up in de wreck cause dey eh wear seatbelt....dem ting eh cause no great movement for people to wear seatbelt in t&t

'If it bleeds, it leads' is the mantra of  newspaper editors all over the world...de newsday man decide he goin for full shock and sell value is all
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2009, 06:48:48 AM »
Look de Newsday editorial this morning:
http://www.newsday.co.tt/editorial/0,106578.html

Doh mind the editorial have spelling mistakes.

Dead baby
Wednesday, September 2 2009

ON MONDAY, August 31,2009 our front page should have been covered in the national colours and we should have wished everyone the old clich “Happ Independence”.

Instead, we printed a photograph of a baby lying at the side of the Solomon Hochoy Highway in the grass. The infant was dead. The photo was meant to shock. And shock it did judging by the letters and telephone calls we received accusing us of insensitivity, lack of human decency, disgraceful and such like comments.Like readers we were pained to see this photograph of a one-yearold beautiful doll-like child lying dead in a patch of grass. But we deliberately, and after much thought, published the photo in the hope, which we hope will not be in vain, to sensitise people about the escalating carnage on our roads. The figure to date is 139.

One writer asked where was our “human decency” We ask: where was the human decency in a one year- old baby sitting on its mother’s lap in a vehicle driven on our roads where there is so much recklessness, so much disregard for life? Why was this infant not secured in a seat in the back seat of the car?

We have photographs of very young children hanging out of the windows of speeding cars. We have a photo of a toddler standing up in the front seat of a car on the Churchill Roosevelt Highway. One reader indignantly spoke of the hurt and trauma felt by mothers who saw the photograph. If that hurt is translated into ensuring safety on the road in future, we would have succeeded in our purpose.

Mere weeks ago, five people including three young children died in a road accident travelling in a panel van, carrying 14 people with no seat belts. Last weekend a man walking on the shoulder of the highway was dismembered of arms and feet when struck by a speeding car. It would take up the entire newspaper to decribe the carnage on our roads. It is carnage for which as drivers we are responsible. We are glad that people are suddenly sensitive about the victims of road accidents, but and as usual, the messenger is blamed and the message is ignored, until the next one dies.

If by publishing this utterly shocking photo we succeed in getting drivers to stop speeding, to stop driving drunk, to secure their babies in the back seat and by so doing to save the life of at least one innocent baby we would consider our decision, which was not taken lightly, to have achieved something.

Any road traffic death is a tragedy, even when the death may be “self-inflicted” by reckless driving, or excessive speed. Unfortunately, it is the innocent, too often, who die in traffic accidents. And when one of these innocents is a young baby, the tragedy is even more pronounced.

We believe that we have to do something to end the slaughter on our roads. Because we all need to accept that the horror of road deaths, and especially deaths of infants, needs to be faced and acknowledged for what they are. We need to accept that the vast majority of our road deaths are caused by speeding and by unsafe practices in the vehicles.

In this tragedy, the vehicle allegedly “went out of control” upon approaching the Gasparillo Flyover. Now, this area has been dubbed a “Death Strip” because of the number of vehicles which “go out of control” on the curved approach to the flyover. Several large signs have been erected along the approach to the flyover, urging motorists to reduce their speed. Yet the carnage continues.

Whatever euphemisms we create for speeding and reckless driving, these seem to imply that vehicles, like skittish racehorses, suddenly get out of control and kill innocent people. The truth is, and we must face this, as hurtful as it may be to families of those who die in these incidents, that the accidents are caused by drivers speeding and driving recklessly, not by vehicles losing control.
Accept this: Speeding or intoxicated drivers are responsible.

Holding an infant in one’s lap in the front passenger seat of the car, is recognised as a most dangerous way to allow infants to travel. In fact it is illegal in civilsed societies. Children need to be restrained in special cradle-type seats set on the rear seat of vehicles. No one, notwithstanding all the love in the world, can hold on to a child set on their lap, when a vehicle gets into an accident. Baby Nevi Vionna never had a chance to survive any crash that may have occurred with her father’s car, even if the car was hit from behind and the accident was not his fault.

We are deeply concerned about the needless loss of life on our nation’s roads. We have addressed this concern on this page in the past. It is this concern that makes us ask: What can we do to stop this carnage?

It hurt us all at Newsday to place Baby Nevi’s photograph on our front page on Independence Day. We are all family people too. But our decision was taken because we felt we had to bring the stark reality of the loss of infants’ lives to you in a manner to make you stop and think. To shock you. We accepted that some of you would be offended. So be it. But for all those of you who were hurt by the sight of this unfortunate infant, we hope that you also commit yourself to ensuring that no child will ever die in a car driven by you.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2009, 07:27:24 AM »
Look de Newsday editorial this morning:
http://www.newsday.co.tt/editorial/0,106578.html

Doh mind the editorial have spelling mistakes.

Dead baby
Wednesday, September 2 2009

ON MONDAY, August 31,2009 our front page should have been covered in the national colours and we should have wished everyone the old clich “Happ Independence”.

Instead, we printed a photograph of a baby lying at the side of the Solomon Hochoy Highway in the grass. The infant was dead. The photo was meant to shock. And shock it did judging by the letters and telephone calls we received accusing us of insensitivity, lack of human decency, disgraceful and such like comments.Like readers we were pained to see this photograph of a one-yearold beautiful doll-like child lying dead in a patch of grass. But we deliberately, and after much thought, published the photo in the hope, which we hope will not be in vain, to sensitise people about the escalating carnage on our roads. The figure to date is 139.

One writer asked where was our “human decency” We ask: where was the human decency in a one year- old baby sitting on its mother’s lap in a vehicle driven on our roads where there is so much recklessness, so much disregard for life? Why was this infant not secured in a seat in the back seat of the car?

We have photographs of very young children hanging out of the windows of speeding cars. We have a photo of a toddler standing up in the front seat of a car on the Churchill Roosevelt Highway. One reader indignantly spoke of the hurt and trauma felt by mothers who saw the photograph. If that hurt is translated into ensuring safety on the road in future, we would have succeeded in our purpose.

Mere weeks ago, five people including three young children died in a road accident travelling in a panel van, carrying 14 people with no seat belts. Last weekend a man walking on the shoulder of the highway was dismembered of arms and feet when struck by a speeding car. It would take up the entire newspaper to decribe the carnage on our roads. It is carnage for which as drivers we are responsible. We are glad that people are suddenly sensitive about the victims of road accidents, but and as usual, the messenger is blamed and the message is ignored, until the next one dies.

If by publishing this utterly shocking photo we succeed in getting drivers to stop speeding, to stop driving drunk, to secure their babies in the back seat and by so doing to save the life of at least one innocent baby we would consider our decision, which was not taken lightly, to have achieved something.

Any road traffic death is a tragedy, even when the death may be “self-inflicted” by reckless driving, or excessive speed. Unfortunately, it is the innocent, too often, who die in traffic accidents. And when one of these innocents is a young baby, the tragedy is even more pronounced.

We believe that we have to do something to end the slaughter on our roads. Because we all need to accept that the horror of road deaths, and especially deaths of infants, needs to be faced and acknowledged for what they are. We need to accept that the vast majority of our road deaths are caused by speeding and by unsafe practices in the vehicles.

In this tragedy, the vehicle allegedly “went out of control” upon approaching the Gasparillo Flyover. Now, this area has been dubbed a “Death Strip” because of the number of vehicles which “go out of control” on the curved approach to the flyover. Several large signs have been erected along the approach to the flyover, urging motorists to reduce their speed. Yet the carnage continues.

Whatever euphemisms we create for speeding and reckless driving, these seem to imply that vehicles, like skittish racehorses, suddenly get out of control and kill innocent people. The truth is, and we must face this, as hurtful as it may be to families of those who die in these incidents, that the accidents are caused by drivers speeding and driving recklessly, not by vehicles losing control.
Accept this: Speeding or intoxicated drivers are responsible.

Holding an infant in one’s lap in the front passenger seat of the car, is recognised as a most dangerous way to allow infants to travel. In fact it is illegal in civilsed societies. Children need to be restrained in special cradle-type seats set on the rear seat of vehicles. No one, notwithstanding all the love in the world, can hold on to a child set on their lap, when a vehicle gets into an accident. Baby Nevi Vionna never had a chance to survive any crash that may have occurred with her father’s car, even if the car was hit from behind and the accident was not his fault.

We are deeply concerned about the needless loss of life on our nation’s roads. We have addressed this concern on this page in the past. It is this concern that makes us ask: What can we do to stop this carnage?

It hurt us all at Newsday to place Baby Nevi’s photograph on our front page on Independence Day. We are all family people too. But our decision was taken because we felt we had to bring the stark reality of the loss of infants’ lives to you in a manner to make you stop and think. To shock you. We accepted that some of you would be offended. So be it. But for all those of you who were hurt by the sight of this unfortunate infant, we hope that you also commit yourself to ensuring that no child will ever die in a car driven by you.

Thank you Newsday, this editorial was exactly the correct thing to do. The child deserved to be more than just a statistic or a photo in the archives. Now let the real conversation begin.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2009, 07:30:03 AM »
I still say the picture was not in good taste (Front page)
it would have been better to run this editorial instead
the main problem I have is that the attention will be on this family instaed of the MANY families that do shit with their kids
even up here I see some of the things they mention in the editorial
buh that is just me
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 07:33:26 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2009, 07:42:23 AM »
LOUD STEUPS If all yuh did really want 2 shock peeps d editorial could have come wit d picure. Yuh 2 days late and 2$ short.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2009, 07:44:13 AM »
I still say the picture was not in good taste (Front page)
it would have been better to run this editorial instead
the main problem I have is that the attention will be on this family instaed of the MANY families that do shit with their kids
even up here I see some of the things they mention in the editorial

With that amount of public outcry they probably did not have much of a choice but to run the Ed. If nobody said anything would there might not have been one but I'm trying not to be cynical, so I'll leave it at this...if the conversation results in awareness then better late than never.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2009, 07:56:57 AM »
For me to be convinced that the photo was not just an effort to sell papers, let the Newsday now run a drive safety campaign or hook up with Arrive Alive or something of that nature.  It most likely will come to nought becuase look how long Kirk Waithe/Arrive Alive trying but nobody eh taking he/dem on...in fact things so bad, Colm Imbert label Kirk Waithe anti-government.... ::)  ::)

But at least Newsday is a try/a start.....until then I will never buy the Newsday, and I'll remain convinced the photo was just an opportunity to sell copies, they've done it before and they'll do it again....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2009, 08:02:48 AM »
For me to be convinced that the photo was not just an effort to sell papers, let the Newsday now run a drive safety campaign or hook up with Arrive Alive or something of that nature.  It most likely will come to nought becuase look how long Kirk Waithe/Arrive Alive trying but nobody eh taking he/dem on...in fact things so bad, Colm Imbert label Kirk Waithe anti-government.... ::)  ::)

But at least Newsday is a try/a start.....until then I will never buy the Newsday, and I'll remain convinced the photo was just an opportunity to sell copies, they've done it before and they'll do it again....

:beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>