March 28, 2024, 04:41:27 PM

Author Topic: Boogsie say Pan dead  (Read 5615 times)

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Boogsie say Pan dead
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 04:02:16 PM »
boogsie and dem are apart of the problem, along with the govt, pan trinbago is not the only body to blame...

when kitch dead, pan compositions also died, you have arrangers like boogsie and dem trying to compose pan kaisos and they lacking the melodies and skill to compose like the great kitch... add to that, none of the youths jumping to compose pan kaisos bc the big money is in soca and touring with your soca music which in most cases are not suitable for pan renditions, generates more money than winning the rama, where most of the money goes back to the pan side. then you have magic drum by machel which is mediocre at best, so he level of music is far below par...

first thing is, fellahs like boogsie and dem need tuh start writing good pan kaisos with good melodies before they complain about arnold and forteaux... or accept tunes that are better than there compositons and play them from people not in the inner circle but are good musicians and singers.

you have to have good music in order to have good pan renditions for panorama. 2nd they need to implement my idea of having a traditional road march where the pan sides dictate the road march winner, instead of a dj who most of the time doesnt know nothing about pan kaisos...

that added to the fact, the ole boys club of arrangers and pan men need to rasie their standard of playing, when you bring a pan tune to them and the whole side cant play it bc its too difficult, something is wrong, a pan school funded by the govt and also a dismantling of the ole boys club would do pan much better...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:04:18 PM by Controversial »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 08:21:50 PM »
when kitch dead, pan compositions also died, you have arrangers like boogsie and dem trying to compose pan kaisos and they lacking the melodies and skill to compose like the great kitch... then you have magic drum by machel which is mediocre at best, so he level of music is far below par...

first thing is, fellahs like boogsie and dem need tuh start writing good pan kaisos with good melodies before they complain about arnold and forteaux... or accept tunes that are better than there compositons and play them from people not in the inner circle but are good musicians and singers.

you have to have good music in order to have good pan renditions for panorama.

Can you give us an idea of who might be these people who have better compositions and superior music..like wha the great kitch used to do?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 08:29:22 PM »
Shadow and Crazy need to step een.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 08:36:39 PM »
To me,  Magic drum was the best pan song  for this year.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 08:45:29 PM »
Maybe Pan Trinbago should hire a PR person to promote Pan then?

ent Boogsie composed the music for Magic Drum
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:00:29 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 09:42:37 PM »
Boogsie is ah bad man in trute oui

he tell de man dat in he face in ah public award forum  ;D
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 11:50:41 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161525930

I agree with Boogsie we need proper business men to run Pan Trinbago but it should be a collaboration between the culture men and the business men as we should not go from one extreme to the other, we need the right balance!

Regards Controversial’s point about Magic Drum being mediocre at best, I think that's his personal opinion which I don't agree with in this case. Magic Drum by Machel is one of my favourite pan tunes for 2009 alongside Pan Redemption by Tony Prescott. Also both these pan tunes are one of the few pan tunes that have crossover into regular parties or that I have been able to regularly play in the Soca raves and consistently get a good response! I also like Crazy’s “Rocketman” which is quite topical about the feats of Lightening Bolt and rest of Caribbean sprinters in Beijing so yes indeed veterans like Crazy have been consistent with some great pan tunes since Kitchener left us.

I love Pan-kaisos in general but rate the ones that can crossover into the regular parties outside of the carnival panorama setting and Magic Drum is one of the few that does just that!

So for Controversial to call Magic Drum mediocre when it is one of the few pan-tunes this year doing what Kitchener was able to do with most of his pan-tunes on a regular basis (have them appeal to a wider audience and not just pan lovers) is a strange sort of argument!

I say well done to Boogsie and keep up the great works, love your music!!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 08:02:20 PM »
Pan died with the advent of electronic music.... is not now.....and it will die completely as long as the current format (presentation) continues. It needs to make a step up(or two or three) in class.....did i just say that!!? Yes, I did.

Pan is an orchestral ensemble, and needs to come out of the pan yard and into the music hall. Or at least the "pan Yard" needs to evolve.

Man will get vex and cuss 'bout how "pan is grass roots" and that will be lost, but that is shortsighted, because that very grassroots now hindering the artform, maybe unintentionally, but it is what it is.

The only way for Pan not to die an ignominious death IN TNT is to mandate the instrument as part of every school's curriculum.

Pan cyar compete with electronic music. It needs to represent its own completely separate identity and purpose.....similarly to classical/ jazz orchestras.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 09:47:36 PM »
Pan died with the advent of electronic music.... is not now.....and it will die completely as long as the current format (presentation) continues. It needs to make a step up(or two or three) in class.....did i just say that!!? Yes, I did.

Pan is an orchestral ensemble, and needs to come out of the pan yard and into the music hall. Or at least the "pan Yard" needs to evolve.

Man will get vex and cuss 'bout how "pan is grass roots" and that will be lost, but that is shortsighted, because that very grassroots now hindering the artform, maybe unintentionally, but it is what it is.

The only way for Pan not to die an ignominious death IN TNT is to mandate the instrument as part of every school's curriculum.

Pan cyar compete with electronic music. It needs to represent its own completely separate identity and purpose.....similarly to classical/ jazz orchestras.

Where have you been man? Go here http://www.napeinc.com & welcome to e-pan of the 21st century!!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:49:59 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 10:14:59 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UyNhA7WsWmY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UyNhA7WsWmY</a>
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 09:05:23 AM »

Where have you been man? Go here http://www.napeinc.com & welcome to e-pan of the 21st century!!

Nah man.. The e-pan is not new news for me. But that is not the direction pan must go in. In fact, its the death of "pan". I'm not sure that that is  apan. At the flick of a switch, it can sound like any other instrument. Its no different from any other synthesizer except for its percussive design. Thats my opinion. Maybe it can be used to augment the classical pan.
The problem with pan right now is presentation. It is being presented in the wrong format.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 09:22:55 AM »
Nah man.. The e-pan is not new news for me. But that is not the direction pan must go in. In fact, its the death of "pan". I'm not sure that that is  apan. At the flick of a switch, it can sound like any other instrument. Its no different from any other synthesizer except for its percussive design. Thats my opinion. Maybe it can be used to augment the classical pan.
The problem with pan right now is presentation. It is being presented in the wrong format.
I totally agree with you on that
basically epan is recorded sound activated by player, not a STEEL drum being played
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Q&A with Boogsie: Pan is Dead: Trinidad Express
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 11:49:17 AM »
Pan in danger
Q & A on a Sunday
Raoul Pantin interviews Len 'Boogsie' Sharpe
Sunday, September 6th 2009

LIKE A BUSINESS: Len 'Boogsie' Sharpe telling it as it is.

Nobody is better placed to put the focus on pan and its development, or lack thereof, than Len 'Boogsie' Sharpe, one of this country's finest arrangers. That new focus on pan came about last Monday night at the national awards ceremony at President's House when 'Boogsie' raised the issue in vehement terms, kicking off a controversy that has been raging all week. Our interview picks up on that point.

You seem to have stirred quite a hornet's nest with your declaration last Monday night that in this country, its birth place, "pan is dead". Can you elaborate on that and explain for our readers exactly what you meant?

(Pan Trinbago President) Patrick Arnold and his group have been there for 12 years now. They're going back up for election, which is due in October. And they have done nothing for pan. Long ago you used to see pan more in people face. But now? Now if you want to hear good pan you have to go to Japan or America because they (Pan Trinbago executive) have nothing in place. They've been there 12 years and all I see is, if you talk about the problem you get victimised. They even start to interfere with my living...

In what way?

Arnim Smith was president of Pan Trinbago once and he never introduced the kind of rules Arnold and company have come up with. An arranger, like myself, is now supposed to arrange for one conventional pan side and one single pan. But a pan tuner could work for as many bands as he wants. And Arnold is a pan tuner. Now that is not fair. I have a record dating back to 1988, a year in which I arranged for about seven bands. In those years they used to have the North Zone, the South Zone and the East Zone. Now they have Panorama and Pan In the 21st Century. What else do they have for the rest of the year? Nothing.

Do other panmen feel the way you feel about the Pan Trinbago executive?

Yes. A lot of panmen do...

So why don't they get together and vote them out?

Because they're afraid of vicitimisation...

What kind of victimisation?

They don't get invited to Pan Trinbago events. They get left out of pan festivals. It's happened to me...I was shocked to hear (Silver Stars captain) Junior Pouchet saying that pan is not dead. How he could say something like that when we're been talking about this problem for such a long time? But I know what's happening. He doesn't want to get victimised...

Why do you think, as you also suggested, that businessmen should take charge of Pan Trinbago?

Because the present executive of Pan Trinbago has no vision. This thing should be run as a business...First of all, I think an audit should be carried out on Pan Trinbago. Because nobody knows what they're doing with the money they've been making. And they make good money...The last time their office was on Edward Street and there was supposed to be an audit, the office burned down.

Patrick Arnold has described you as a 'spoilt child' who insists on having things your way. What is you reaction to that?

This is not about 'Boogsie'. This is about the development of pan, which is simply not happening. You have to look at pan like a baby. It can't walk. It can't talk. You have to teach it these things and help it to grow. But that is simply not happening. There's supposed to be a pan festival every two years but it doesn't happen because they're so disorganised.

Not that I have any doubt about your own credentials, but how long have you personally been involved with the pan?

I started playing pan when I was three years old. This house (at 21A Benares Street, St James) used to be a panyard. I left school when I was about 13 years old. I gave up school for pan. It's been my life...But now you want to come and tell a band who to arrange for them.

That is ridiculous. It's not fair! Nine months of the year pan should be sent out of the country. There are festivals all over the world. But these fellas just want to sit down on their fat tail. Or they want to stage pan festivals and over-charge. An example was the Pan Jazz festival in Tobago. Not everybody could afford the kind of money they were charging. It really is a whole set of wrongs going on...

But the image of the steelbandsman has changed, hasn't it? It's not like long ago when steelbandsmen were seen as badjohns or people who were only too willing to get involved in violence, with steelband clashes and so on...

Oh yes. In that sense,we've come a long way. But there are still a lot of things to be done. To keep pan active throughout the year. And as I keep saying, this is not about 'Boogsie'. It's the truth I'm talking. I would like to have a one-on-one debate on this issue with Patrick Arnold...

Do you think he would agree to that?

Well, I was on a radio programme suggesting a debate and the station contact him and he said no...Take another example. Pan Trinbago has a pan factory. But do you know that Patrick Arnold also has a pan factory? And that is operating out of Pan Trinbago. I repeat: This isn't about Boogsie Sharpe. It's what is going on with the underdevelopment of pan...

I've read some criticism about your work habits with the University of Trinidad and Tobago...

Oh yes. They start to talk about how I don't go to work. I'm a consultant with the UTT. I teach them how to develop their pan skills and so on. But I don't go to work every day because they need a chance to work on what I'm teaching them. They don't talk about how Patrick Arnold don't be in office. Or take the Pan In Schools project. That is another big racket because they give them bad pans and what not. I have been talking about things like this for years. I'm talking the truth. And the truth offends. Now they're talking about how I should apologise to the President. For what? I never disrespected the President. I spoke to the media...

Are you interested in getting involved in running Pan Trinbago?

No. That is not my job. My thing is to make music and help others develop their pan skills. We were the first band to win Panorama with our own composition. That is what interests me. But at the risk of repeating myself, it's 12 years these guys have been in charge of Pan Trinbago and they have nothing to show for it. Look at that Pan in the 21st Century competition.

A lot of large steelbands just dropped out. You know why? It's such a disrespect for the pan with the first prize for Pan in the 21st Century fixed at $50,000. And Pan Trinbago is taking 10 per cent of that. But you have to pay tuners, you have to pay an arranger and you have to pay transportation. So what are you left with? It's total disrespect for the panman.

How many panmen make up a large band?

About 100 players. A lot of bands got up to 120 players. But on the final night of the competition, Arnold said they had to cut 20 players. You know how much confusion that caused? What is the reason for that? They never gave any reason.

That is not fair. That is wrong. You have foreigners who come to this country, the mecca of pan, because they want to get involved in playing pan and they get squeezed out. You can't do people that. That is a wicked move. I'm telling you, just now when you want to hear pan, you have to go America or Japan because we're not securing anything. We have nothing in place. You can't name three events that Pan Trinbago staged that were successful. How many bands are practising during the year? It's hard to practise throughout the year because you have no incentive. You have to do your own thing.

What about the 'G' pan? Isn't that a whole new development in the history of pan?

Oh sure. But Pan Trinbago has very little to do with that. The 'G' pan in a fete is real trouble because of its volume. But you have to work with it. If you get a 35-piece of the 'G' pan, it will be fantastic. These are the things we should be fighting for. But these guys (the Pan Trinbago executive) have no vision, they have no ambition...

How long does it take you personally to arrange a tune for, say, Panorama?

It depends. Sometimes it takes about four days. Sometimes sooner than that. It's hard work. I mean I have to make sure that every panside I arrange for sounds different...

Can the average panman live off of playing pan?

Well, it could happen. But you have to set the stage for it. If you approach like a business, it could happen. Pan is like any other musical instrument. But with Pan Trinbago, it's always confusion. People pay their money to get tickets for pan shows, for example, and then find that there are no tickets. People are always complaining about these guys...

How are people elected to the executive of Pan Trinbago?

Voting is based on two delegates from each band. But you have to register your whole band. So don't you think that every member should have a vote? Patrick Arnold has it set up so he can be president of Pan Trinbago for life.

Do members of the executive of Pan Trinbago have their own bands?

Yes. They do. And of course they seek to push their own bands. Now let me tell you something else. I'm a sick man. I'm a diabetic. I've never asked Pan Trinbago for any money to help me with my medical bills which at one point came up to $10,000. But would you believe when Bertie Marshall, who is also a diabetic, went and asked Pan Trinbago for help in paying his medical bills, they told him they couldn't help him because they were paying off Boogsie's bills. Imagine that-they refuse a man like Bertie Marshall. These fellas don't care about anybody but themselves. That's how I look at it.

Does the government show any interest in all this?

Any time I complain to government ministers about these problems, their attitude is 'panmen have to work out their own problems'.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Q&A with Boogsie: Pan is Dead: Trinidad Express
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 12:08:02 PM »
first things first, i agree with some of boogsies statements but disagree with many also:

1.) pan trinbago should be run as a business, I agree

2.) the govt needs to step in and put their money where their mouth is, regardless of what the hell allyuh say

3.) My idea of a traditional road march should be implemented, where the pan sides once more determine the road march winner, with a bigger prize money than the current road march.

4.) pan arrangers like boogsie need to stop composing their own music, its not up to standard atall, its not kitch, nor merchant, neither scrunter, nor crazy. time for them to stick with arranging and leave the composing to composers. Time for the youths to start composing more pan tunes and making money from it, theres no money in pan for artists to make a living, so why compose pan tunes when you cant tour with it like the soca artists are doing with the current carnival music...

think about it, bunji makes an album and tours but 95% is not pan related, theres no more ed watson around and producers wanna eat ah food, so making the artists an album where they can tour and make money is the way, pan have no money in it, people in the US, cananda and Uk not coming out to hear pan kaisos, the younger people are not musically inclined, they never play a piano in their life, only a drum machine, thats why pan needs the money and needs composers who will put pan back on the road...

5.) the govt need to institute some rules and regulations for pan manufacturing and a pension for legends in the arranging field... and its so funny the govt still havent built the pan studio yet bc private investors will only give that much to build the pan studio.

lastly, the pan arrangers need to be more open to compositions from ex pats, they traditonally have blocked many composers and singers outside from their compositions and it being played in the rama, so really its not only pan trinbago to blame but also the arrangers.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:12:34 PM by Controversial »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 12:20:46 PM »
when kitch dead, pan compositions also died, you have arrangers like boogsie and dem trying to compose pan kaisos and they lacking the melodies and skill to compose like the great kitch... then you have magic drum by machel which is mediocre at best, so he level of music is far below par...

Can you give us an idea of who might be these people who have better compositions and superior music..like wha the great kitch used to do?

when i was in trinidad a few years ago i spoke to a few ex pats who were excelent composers, one lives up here also, when they took their composition to trinidad to the arrangers they got blanked, their music was better, far better than many of the compositions played in the rama but since they are foreign now, they got blanked, there are many cases to refer and dont ask meh to call names bc i dont want to rat people out and they get blacklisted in the future but thats the sad reality of it, the protectionist nature of locals against ex pats... the funny thing with these guys who brought their compositions, it wasnt about money but love for the pan but jealousy and ignorance is a terrible thing, so these composers just ceased composing anything for pan sides in trinidad anymore and i dont blame them, too much politics.. and it wasnt pan trinbago who did this, it was the hard headed arrangers

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 06:12:15 PM »

when i was in trinidad a few years ago i spoke to a few ex pats who were excelent composers, one lives up here also, when they took their composition to trinidad to the arrangers they got blanked, their music was better, far better than many of the compositions played in the rama but since they are foreign now, they got blanked, there are many cases to refer and dont ask meh to call names bc i dont want to rat people out and they get blacklisted in the future but thats the sad reality of it, the protectionist nature of locals against ex pats... the funny thing with these guys who brought their compositions, it wasnt about money but love for the pan but jealousy and ignorance is a terrible thing, so these composers just ceased composing anything for pan sides in trinidad anymore and i dont blame them, too much politics.. and it wasnt pan trinbago who did this, it was the hard headed arrangers

You do realize that the composer of Pan Redemption (played by several bands in Panorama 2009) and Ten Commandments of Pan (played by several bands in Panorama 2008) Jason "Peanut" Issacs is one of those "ex pats" you referring to?   "Dangerous" and D trini Way" are composed by Mark Loquan.  Ah wonder how come dem "foreign" (Trinbagonians living in New York) and gettin bands to play dey compositions?  If your theory is correct that is.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 06:52:33 PM »

You do realize that the composer of Pan Redemption (played by several bands in Panorama 2009) and Ten Commandments of Pan (played by several bands in Panorama 2008) Jason "Peanut" Issacs is one of those "ex pats" you referring to?   "Dangerous" and D trini Way" are composed by Mark Loquan.  Ah wonder how come dem "foreign" (Trinbagonians living in New York) and gettin bands to play dey compositions?  If your theory is correct that is.

yes i do realize that, but that still doesnt take away from the fact of what i referred to with the previous examples, i was happy when i found that out but it still doesnt explain the others who got blanked... your naming 2 composers only, composers who are not even of the younger generation to my knowledge....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 08:26:47 PM »
Bandoleros was composed by Miguel Reyes. He lives in NYC. Another ex-pat pan man from DC say that Boogsie is bored in TNT. He is unable to come stateside to ramajay. Hence his take on the pan scene back home

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 06:32:34 AM »
first things first, i agree with some of boogsies statements but disagree with many also:

2.) the govt needs to step in and put their money where their mouth is, regardless of what the hell allyuh say

3.) My idea of a traditional road march should be implemented, where the pan sides once more determine the road march winner, with a bigger prize money than the current road march.

4.) pan arrangers like boogsie need to stop composing their own music, its not up to standard atall, its not kitch, nor merchant, neither scrunter, nor crazy. time for them to stick with arranging and leave the composing to composers. Time for the youths to start composing more pan tunes and making money from it, theres no money in pan for artists to make a living, so why compose pan tunes when you cant tour with it like the soca artists are doing with the current carnival music...

think about it, bunji makes an album and tours but 95% is not pan related, theres no more ed watson around and producers wanna eat ah food, so making the artists an album where they can tour and make money is the way, pan have no money in it, people in the US, cananda and Uk not coming out to hear pan kaisos, the younger people are not musically inclined, they never play a piano in their life, only a drum machine, thats why pan needs the money and needs composers who will put pan back on the road...

5.) the govt need to institute some rules and regulations for pan manufacturing and a pension for legends in the arranging field... and its so funny the govt still havent built the pan studio yet bc private investors will only give that much to build the pan studio.

lastly, the pan arrangers need to be more open to compositions from ex pats, they traditonally have blocked many composers and singers outside from their compositions and it being played in the rama, so really its not only pan trinbago to blame but also the arrangers.

I totally disagree with the highlighted part of point no.4.
You can't be serious!
Why should pan arrangers who have also proven to be good pan music composers stop composing their own music?
Who gives you the authority to be the judge that their music is not up to standard?
If public opinion is anything to go by then 90%+ of the general pan music loving public would disagree with you on that point my brother where Boogsie is concerned!
You need to reverse and come again!!

Also make note that Jason "Peanut" Isaac who was bigged up as foreign based arranger/composer who is writing good material that deserves to be given a chance is no different to Boogsie in being both a good pan arranger and music composer that is neither a soca artist nor calypsonian. 
So if we were to go by your logic, he as well as many other steelpan arrangers/composers who are not calypsonians/soca artists should also stop composing music for the steelband all together.

That argument of yours is totally ridiculous as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't looked too deeply at your other points to be able to say if I agree or disagree with them right now but might do given some spare time later.

Just had to deal with point no.4 which stood out as being totally off-key!

Regards
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:35:39 AM by Socapro »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 09:25:32 AM »

I totally disagree with the highlighted part of point no.4.
You can't be serious!
Why should pan arrangers who have also proven to be good pan music composers stop composing their own music?
Who gives you the authority to be the judge that their music is not up to standard?
If public opinion is anything to go by then 90%+ of the general pan music loving public would disagree with you on that point my brother where Boogsie is concerned!
You need to reverse and come again!!

Also make note that Jason "Peanut" Isaac who was bigged up as foreign based arranger/composer who is writing good material that deserves to be given a chance is no different to Boogsie in being both a good pan arranger and music composer that is neither a soca artist nor calypsonian. 
So if we were to go by your logic, he as well as many other steelpan arrangers/composers who are not calypsonians/soca artists should also stop composing music for the steelband all together.

That argument of yours is totally ridiculous as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't looked too deeply at your other points to be able to say if I agree or disagree with them right now but might do given some spare time later.

Just had to deal with point no.4 which stood out as being totally off-key!

Regards

the reason for me saying that is that i havent heard anything substantial from an arranger, the artists have to be responsible for this bc it will allow the pan music to crossover to the wider population and what i notice with many arrangers is their lack of melodies...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 10:26:09 AM »
the reason for me saying that is that i havent heard anything substantial from an arranger, the artists have to be responsible for this bc it will allow the pan music to crossover to the wider population and what i notice with many arrangers is their lack of melodies...

Who alive in your opinion has "substantial" music for pan?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 01:51:17 PM »

Who alive in your opinion has "substantial" music for pan?

Nice question Palos, lets see what names he comes up with!  8)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 05:55:47 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3_Msa_6Bi6c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3_Msa_6Bi6c</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_vzoT_6ut_I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_vzoT_6ut_I</a>

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>