April 29, 2024, 08:02:54 AM

Author Topic: Benedict's to come good?  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Benedict's to come good?
« on: September 02, 2009, 04:46:21 AM »
Benedict's to come good?
By Garth Wattley (T&T Express)

For  the past six seasons, winning the South Zone of the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) has meant  finishing ahead of  Naparima College. It has proved a mission impossible for the rest of the field. And season 2009 could be another one where Naparima rule yet again.

Not affected by player departures to the extent of other rival schools, Naps seem to have the personnel to deal with the absence of Corey Cyrus, their leading scorer last season, goalkeeper Jodel Wright, who has migrated, and defensive player Keston Smith. A seventh straight zonal title is a distinct possibility.

Whether or not influential attacker Shahdon Winchester makes it back to school or not, Naparima's coach Dunstan Williams has a good group with which to defend the school's zonal League and InterCol titles and the national Big Five league crown.

The core of the squad has been together for the past two years, making them perhaps the most settled and experienced unit  in the zone.

Naps' prolonged success has been built on continuity and efficient team play. Look for more of the same this year.

Who will step from the pack to push them? Could be, at long last, St Benedict's College.

Benedict's seven-year slump has coincided with Naps' continued rise. But  there is fresh enthusiasm in La Romaine this year with Dick Furlonge back on the bench.

The former Benedict's 1960s standout  and coach in the revival of the late 1980s has been preparing the sleeping "La Romaine Lions" for the new season. His presence and strong performances in pre-season seem to have inspired fresh optimism.

For competition's sake, the zone needs a forceful Benedict's.

Presentation College, third last season and who reached the zonal final and national semi-final in InterCol last term, have been decimated by player departures. So too have 2008 League runners-up, plucky Vessigny Secondary.

For their coach Howard Spencer,  it will be a "season of survival".

Siparia, one of the zone's underdog teams, are hoping their under-16 tykes will step up to the challenge and give a good showing, while more sleeping giants--Princes Town Senior Comprehensive--hope to overcome what is expected to be a slow start and finish strongly.

However, new boys Shiva Hindu College hope to do much more than merely survive.

It is already a big deal for a school just about nine years old to have found a place in the SSFL Championship Division. And their presence here so soon is a reflection of the importance the school has attached to development through sport.

Shiva also made their championship debut in the Secondary Schools Cricket League this year and have also enjoyed zonal success in athletics.

They certainly have ambition.

Former "Strike Squad" national defender Dexter Francis has been charged with overseeing this inaugural campaign in the top flight.

And Shiva will make their debut in familiar surroundings, their first two matches being at home at the David Williams Recreation Ground in Penal against Siparia and Princes Town.

They may lack experience at this level, but the squad has been together for a while.

Shiva's adventure this season may well make a good story, for according to vice-principal Devinesh Neeranjan, "We believe we can really do well."

SSFL South Zone first round fixtures:

Tomorrow:
Vessigny vs St Benedict's, Manny Ramjohn Stadium, 3 p.m.
Naparima vs Presentation, Manny Ramjohn Stadium, 5 p.m.
Shiva Boys vs Siparia, David Williams Rec. Ground, Penal, 4 p.m.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
Re: Benedict's to come good?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 05:45:08 AM »
PRES FOREVER!!

btw, I think the times for tomorrow games are mixed up.
I believe the Pres vs Naps game is at 3.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 06:48:58 AM »
I know naps was the dominant team of the era but I really didn't process that is 6 years in a row now.

I had sympathized with many elements of Steven Khan's article but clearly something has to be done about this situation.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 07:07:12 AM »
Dexter Francis in charge of Shiva Hindu School football? I wonder how Sat Sharma feels about that...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 07:12:21 AM »
Lets go Benedicts !!!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 07:16:26 AM »
Dexter Francis in charge of Shiva Hindu School football? I wonder how Sat Sharma feels about that...

Cosign. I guess d French player he could not get to come after WC 2006 to inspire Indian footballers  did not accept d invitation to coach either.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 07:17:02 AM »

I think that he would be very happy to have a lengendary member of the Strike Squad coaching the team.

He is probably more aggrieved at the ministry's inability to complete the construction of school's in time for the opening of the new school term. ie, the Hindu school that was profiled on the news last night.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 07:17:43 AM »
wait why is spencer the coach? what happened with Cooper?
Back in Trini...

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 08:19:03 AM »
Spencer is the coach of Vessigny and Cooper is still coaching the Pres.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 08:31:31 AM »
Lets go P. Town!  Last season was embarassingly dismal.  Hopefully, we can get back to our competitive selves.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 08:52:12 AM »
Lets go P. Town!  Last season was embarassingly dismal.  Hopefully, we can get back to our competitive selves.

Who coaching PTown now?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 10:14:01 AM »
Lets go Benedicts !!!!!

Cosign to the power of 2009!!!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »
I know naps was the dominant team of the era but I really didn't process that is 6 years in a row now.

I had sympathized with many elements of Steven Khan's article but clearly something has to be done about this situation.

boy...that does reallll hurt me consdering how toots they was in the 90s when we were there...my lil bro had to suffer thru pres getting demoted and all...oh well, let's see what the season has in store

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 12:39:59 PM »

boy...that does reallll hurt me consdering how toots they was in the 90s when we were there...my lil bro had to suffer thru pres getting demoted and all...oh well, let's see what the season has in store

well I was in Pres in the 90s when Naps get demoted - and the year they came back up from Senior grade to Championship, they were on course to get demoted again .... if it were not for TUTTA striking and ending the season prematurely.

It have PLENTY Naps men on here that will deny those days.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:56:31 PM by acb »

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 12:54:44 PM »
pres will be fine...to reach how far they did las year was purely becuz of the coaching..The team was nothing to talk about..believe me i kno..i went almost every game and was there at the training sessions..
Back in Trini...

Offline naparima

• <Insert Interesting Comment Here>
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Rishi Travelogue
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 03:55:10 PM »
Trust me, I was there from 88-95 and I will tell you... it was depressing!!
In my 7 years there, we only made 2nd round of Intercol ONCE!!!
As for the league.... well it was constant cutarse!!!

But it all evens out.....we had tons of talent back then also but there was the consistent vision - I hope it continues!!

But I foresee more Cutarse for all comers!!!

:P
<Blurb> Insert Text
</Blurb>

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 05:38:15 AM »
ok, just got this from a very reliable source:

Please be advised that the venue for the first round of fixtures, that is St. Benedict's vs Vessigny and Presentation vs Naparima have been CHANGED to GUARACARA PARK.
The games will begin as scheduled at 3pm and 5pm respectively. Once again the games will NOT be played at Mannie Ramjohn Stadium, rather they will be played at GUARACARA PARK.

1]; } ?>