April 25, 2024, 08:49:54 PM

Author Topic: Football Scholarships  (Read 5048 times)

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
Football Scholarships
« on: September 02, 2009, 01:07:41 PM »
Anyone has any idea how many Trinis go abroad each year from SSFL to take up schols in the US and elsewhere?

I know there was a thread or section that tracked it, but I believe there are probably more players out there than we know about, especially since there's always talk about expanding our player pool.

It also seems like a decent percentage of the students who leave on football scholarships don't really take the football aspect of the scholarship too seriously - and you really can't fault them for that.

It would be nice to know how many local students we have playing in various NCAA divisons and what schools they play for. I've less than a handful of Trinis in the Big East and the ACC ... but not too aware of who plays for what schools. Only if I happen to stop in for a game at the alma mater and pick up a game sheet that I may see a local player.

Would be nice to know of local players and where their games are in advance - especially those in playoffs, and stop by to lend some home support.

Funny thing that got me thinking about this - overheard this convo earlier of this kid who's been out of school for over a year after CXC and was almost boasting of not needing A Levels for his scholarship .... kinda wondering if he does have a schol in the first place.
- and while you really don't need As, I would think it woul be smarter to advise these kids to stay in school for As, sharpen up your SATs and GPA, get stronger, fitter and more experienced - and then use all that to land yourself in a school of higher academic standing, in a more competitive division. It's 2 years worth the sacrifice.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Football Scholarships
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 01:14:54 PM »
Anyone has any idea how many Trinis go abroad each year from SSFL to take up schols in the US and elsewhere?

I know there was a thread or section that tracked it, but I believe there are probably more players out there than we know about, especially since there's always talk about expanding our player pool.

It also seems like a decent percentage of the students who leave on football scholarships don't really take the football aspect of the scholarship too seriously - and you really can't fault them for that.

It would be nice to know how many local students we have playing in various NCAA divisons and what schools they play for. I've less than a handful of Trinis in the Big East and the ACC ... but not too aware of who plays for what schools. Only if I happen to stop in for a game at the alma mater and pick up a game sheet that I may see a local player.

Would be nice to know of local players and where their games are in advance - especially those in playoffs, and stop by to lend some home support.

Funny thing that got me thinking about this - overheard this convo earlier of this kid who's been out of school for over a year after CXC and was almost boasting of not needing A Levels for his scholarship .... kinda wondering if he does have a schol in the first place.
- and while you really don't need As, I would think it woul be smarter to advise these kids to stay in school for As, sharpen up your SATs and GPA, get stronger, fitter and more experienced - and then use all that to land yourself in a school of higher academic standing, in a more competitive division. It's 2 years worth the sacrifice.

Good point acb but here is where the problem lies....and its killing our football too...who are the people advising these fellas?? All these fellas know is that dey name in d papers every weekend like some celebrity, when they go to school they being treated the same way by teachers and at that point they think they reach!! Until they reach up here and see differently. That's why you see alot of these guys come up here for a year...maybe 2...and end right back on d block back home and then men go come on the board and boast how "boy dat fella was ah boss back then" blah blah blah!!! So that's why our already small pool of players become even smaller! :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 01:15:30 PM »
ooops ... just saw a section in Foreign Based  ::) ... need to start navigating this site better.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 01:19:10 PM »
yeah: http://www.socawarriors.net/foreign-based/us-college-players.html

although that's not 100% complete for example just noticed it's missing:

Donald La Guerre, West Virginia http://www.msnsportsnet.com/profile.cfm?id=101070
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 01:23:35 PM by E-man »

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 01:20:45 PM »
I actually thing the mods or whoever is responsible 4 it have a really good list of the tnt players on football  schols   iin d usa.

really doubt that they miss any one
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 01:26:57 PM »
Good point acb but here is where the problem lies....and its killing our football too...who are the people advising these fellas?? All these fellas know is that dey name in d papers every weekend like some celebrity, when they go to school they being treated the same way by teachers and at that point they think they reach!! Until they reach up here and see differently. That's why you see alot of these guys come up here for a year...maybe 2...and end right back on d block back home and then men go come on the board and boast how "boy dat fella was ah boss back then" blah blah blah!!! So that's why our already small pool of players become even smaller! :beermug:

gotcha, I've seen alot of guys fail right out of 1st year due to academics.
Football is the only thing some of them know, and they've been babied and spoonfed throughout Secondary School always getting mysteriously high grades - it's been going on forever, and it's rampant in US High Schools. Just look at the controversy surrounding Memphis Mens' BB Team.

The problem with the advice given to these kids is that it comes from people with zero experience with the US collegiate system - and that's not from a footballing level, but from an admissions and academic level. I believe that some kids jump at the first offer of a scholarship - and I think that is where their local coach, parents and school principal needs to come together and evaluate the offer and overall situation.

I think it's an initiative that the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Sports can collaborate with the SSFL and their sponsors. These four entities should have a forum or lecture that is mandatory for all footballers and schools registered in the Senior and Championship Level to attend so they can get the proper information. It doesn't all need to be in the same place at the same time. Have it on a zonal basis, and have it in the preseason, and make it mandatory. Footballers find the time to practice over the Jul-Aug vacation, so they can easily take a couple hours off and attend something that will probably be just as important as what they put out on the field. The footballers do alot for the standing and perception of their schools, and they also pave the opportunity for other local students in their respective secondary schools to get some recognition and land academic scholarships.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 02:37:33 PM »
....to add to this, how come most trini players in the US recruited by NCAA D2, D3 or small D1 programs.

very few in powerhouse D1 programs.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 02:51:59 PM »
....to add to this, how come most trini players in the US recruited by NCAA D2, D3 or small D1 programs.

I honestly don't know the answer - but I could make a good guess.

US University Scouts have a very limited budget to work with. Soccer does NOT bring in sponsorship money, gate revenue and merchandising like US Football and basketball - Even in the bigger D1 schools.

Unless we (hint) invite them here, they're not going to come this far to see players who, in the majority, are less developed than those in the continential US.

Again, that we that I hinted at would/ could comprise MOS, MOE, SSFL and sponsors to hold something similar to how US Universities showcase their NFL prospects for professional teams. Having individual secondary schools put together scouting tapes of their own players for use by interested universities is another way for us to help them, to help us.

I think another part of it has to do with what I mentioned earlier regarding the anxiety to accept the first scholarship offer that comes in the mail, as well as students leaving school earlier to take up football schols and not completely developing their academics and football talent. Most US scholarship recipients will comb through a stack of mail with various offers - and while that is not a luxury afforded to all, especially those here - there is nothing wrong with waiting to see if other offers come in.

One other thing, is that for football you don't always get a full ride through university. I had many friends on the Football team that only had partial scholarships, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see soccer players only getting partials for tuition only - and these days, room & board can cost as much as tuition.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 04:16:37 PM »
Two others not listed on SW.net

MBU players:
Kegan Mills and Valton Brathwaite http://www.mobap.edu/teams/mens-soccer/975-mens-soccer-varsity-roster

(we got Nyron Orr)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 04:20:05 PM by E-man »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 12:48:55 AM »
plus yankee crotch
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 07:47:25 AM »

Because most T&T players are not as big, strong and athletic enough to play that type of D! ball. The kick and run robot football kinda thing. The DII and NAIA schools will quicker recruit T&T players. Most of these schools value skill and creativity over size and speed.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 07:41:23 AM »
The hottest prospects this year are ... ?

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 03:40:28 PM »
That US Scholarship thing also KILLS our footballers. Too many good plays fall into that Death Trap and by the time they are finished, their football game has been worse off. They never develop and that US College is at A VERY POOR level. 15 - 20 yrs ago, the level was better. But now, it's utter garbage.

Had KJ gone to college, he would have never been able to play in the Premiership and make millions of dollars! I don't advise any young, promising TnT footballers, esp those from the Under 20 squad to fall in that death trap, cause your chances of making it as a REAL pro would be finished.

I myself played in that college and it's the WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!!!!! When u don't know better, u suffer

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 04:11:52 PM »
That US Scholarship thing also KILLS our footballers. Too many good plays fall into that Death Trap and by the time they are finished, their football game has been worse off. They never develop and that US College is at A VERY POOR level. 15 - 20 yrs ago, the level was better. But now, it's utter garbage.

Had KJ gone to college, he would have never been able to play in the Premiership and make millions of dollars! I don't advise any young, promising TnT footballers, esp those from the Under 20 squad to fall in that death trap, cause your chances of making it as a REAL pro would be finished.
I myself played in that college and it's the WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!!!!! When u don't know better, u suffer

Too late.  Stephen Knox, Chike Sullivan, Daniel Joseph, Leston Paul, Sean DeSilva, Quian Grovsnor, Jesse Fullerton, Uriah Bentick and probably Akeem Adams will all be in US college ball after the World Cup.

So much for 2014
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 06:53:29 PM »

No disrespect but there are colleges and there are colleges....If you attend any hole in the wall university of course you're not going to develop.  If you attend a top Div 1 program that has talent around it and a good coach with good facilities you can develop.  However, let's face facts, the reason why men going to college is because we looking for a way out.  Less than 1% of athletes make it to the pro ranks.  Stay home and play with Mau Pau and change yuh clothes at the side of the road?  Is that professionalism?  Heck no....Playing at a major university with a good coach and outstanding facilities....now we making progress, if Europe doesn't call yuh...
Arimian to meh heart

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 08:32:10 PM »
+

No disrespect but there are colleges and there are colleges .... If you attend any hole in the wall university of course you're not going to develop.  If you attend a top Div 1 program that has talent around it and a good coach with good facilities you can develop.  However, let's face facts, the reason why men going to college is because we looking for a way out.  Less than 1% of athletes make it to the pro ranks.  Stay home and play with Mau Pau and change yuh clothes at the side of the road?  Is that professionalism?  Heck no....Playing at a major university with a good coach and outstanding facilities....now we making progress, if Europe doesn't call yuh...

Bravo.

And, sometime a player's obscurity is not the result of a decline in his development trajectory, but it is rather sometimes tied to the overall success of his program. I have somebody in mind as I type ... the kid can ball. The question is, what's the infrastructure around him and others. Outstanding facilities are part of the equation, but players need advocates as well.

I feel TTFF needs to deploy scouts during the college season b/c gems are out there.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 08:53:44 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 01:45:24 AM »
No disrespect but there are colleges and there are colleges....If you attend any hole in the wall university of course you're not going to develop.  If you attend a top Div 1 program that has talent around it and a good coach with good facilities you can develop.  However, let's face facts, the reason why men going to college is because we looking for a way out.  Less than 1% of athletes make it to the pro ranks.  Stay home and play with Mau Pau and change yuh clothes at the side of the road?  Is that professionalism?  Heck no....Playing at a major university with a good coach and outstanding facilities....now we making progress, if Europe doesn't call yuh...

Come nuh man... blaming everybody else for one's failure to develop into a "contenduh" makes for much better theater.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 09:17:33 AM »
You know what ,all the players from the under 20 going collage  :-\ ...or is it a blessing ,look at KJ and Scotty ,they not scoring for us either .Plus the english guys always in drama with the fifa dates and long flying times .
We should work with the players for grooming into the NT from collage screw it .Roberts went collage ,hes doing ok .
Remember ah say these guys who coming up are our Golden generation ,after collage and being capped by us they will get Contracts .

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 01:52:48 PM »

Shaka Hislop went to college.
So did Brent Sancho & Avery John.

... and they turned out to be ok.  :-\

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 06:12:29 PM »

Shaka Hislop went to college.
So did Brent Sancho & Avery John.

... and they turned out to be ok.  :-\

David Nakhid as well....

in response to other comments.  nothing wrong with college ball if u are at a good program, from a professional standpoint u better off playing for ah intl club but not everybody get those opportunities...i played for ah decent D1 school and although i would have loved to play pro ball i know deep down dat i had a much greater chance of success getting my degree and working than trying to play ball for a living...so respect players decision because u are not in their shoes, it easy for men to talk about what a player should do when dey dont know dey personal situation.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 07:12:18 PM »

David Nakhid as well....

in response to other comments.  nothing wrong with college ball if u are at a good program, from a professional standpoint u better off playing for ah intl club but not everybody get those opportunities...i played for ah decent D1 school and although i would have loved to play pro ball i know deep down dat i had a much greater chance of success getting my degree and working than trying to play ball for a living...so respect players decision because u are not in their shoes, it easy for men to talk about what a player should do when dey dont know dey personal situation.

yuh mean ah "free" college education wasn't the biggest mistake ah yuh life?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 02:36:03 AM »

David Nakhid as well....

yuh mean ah "free" college education wasn't the biggest mistake ah yuh life?

Free? Maybe it was small change. :angel:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 10:34:15 AM »
Free? Maybe it was small change. :angel:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Maybe dai'z de problem... if he had tuh pay fuh it like de rest ah we it mightna be considered so 'throw way'  :-\

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2020, 08:04:45 AM »
Phillip among 4 SSFL stars on US schols.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

St Anthony’s and Trinity Colleges striker Kai Phillip is four players who have earned scholarships to Colleges in the United States later this year.

Phillips, the scorer of many goals for St Anthony’s College in last year’s Premier Division of the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) was spotted by scouts and other football coaches before Lions Pride, an international sports recruitment agency was called in.

The form-five repeater will join three other student footballers and teammates from Trinity College Moka, steady defenders Anfernee Bascombe and Temesgn Tezera, as well as utility player Ronaldo Jacob when the US Colleges season kicks off in September.

On Thursday, Phillip, who scored a season-high 17 goals last year that propelled the Westmooring Tigers to one of the top five positions in the season, is set to pursue a degree in Business Administration, along with Jacob, but both have said they want to play professionally if the opportunity presents itself. Phillip, at age 19 said he was told by a close relative that because of his tender age, he could also become a target for Major Soccer League (MLS) clubs, should he perform to his potential.

“I want to follow in the footsteps of my good friend and former schoolmate at Trinity College Moka back in 2018 Raheim Jawahir. Due to his footballing talents, he has gone on to receive a trial with a club in Spain. He has been a role model to me and like him, I would like to move on to play for either Leicester City or Manchester City in the English Premiership.”

Jacob’s versatility on the football field in positions of defensive midfield and as a central defender has put him on the path of his favourite international stars- Brazilians Marcelo and Casemiro. He told Guardian Media Sports he has had to work twice as hard for the past two years to attain the achievements he has today.

“I intend to balance the football with my academics and whichever one works out for me in the end, I will be happy. I know it will be a challenge but I believe that once you put your mind to any task at hand, then you can achieve it. You can achieve anything you want to achieve,” Jacob said.

Despite a not-to-profitable season for Trinity College Moka at the end of the 2019 season, Jacob believes he has made a lot of personal achievements, thanks to the schools he attended- St Anthony’s College and Trinity, as well as coaches Jean Lilywhite, Michael Paul, Sheldon De Freitas among others. He also had a special thanks to his father Simon Jacob Snr for motivation and encouragement.

Trinity coach Joel Charles described Phillip as a natural-born goal scorer and Jacob as a mature player with a thunderous left-footed shot. According to Charles “Temesgn is an intelligent player with an outstanding touch, while Bascombe can be the perfect player in terms of physical attributes, height and power.”

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 04:58:28 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>