April 19, 2024, 12:47:17 AM

Author Topic: Asylumseeker ???  (Read 891 times)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Asylumseeker ???
« on: September 03, 2009, 09:30:27 PM »
This fella try ah ting and now it ent lookin good for him.....

Government appeals asylum ruling for South African

September 03, 2009
Bruce Campion-Smith
Ottawa bureau chief

OTTAWA – The federal government is appealing a controversial decision by an independent tribunal to grant asylum to a white South African because he feared black persecution in his homeland.

Ottawa announced the rare move today to challenge the decision by the Immigration and Refugee Board after growing condemnation and worldwide publicity of the asylum ruling.

"Our department's lawyers as well as those from (Department of Justice) reviewed the IRB decision. The government decided to appeal the IRB decision. Further details will be provided in our various submissions to the courts," said Alykhan Velshi, spokesperson for Immigration Minister Jason Kenney.

Brandon Huntley, 31, of Ottawa, had argued that his life and his livelihood were threatened in the African National Congress's South Africa.

Huntley demonstrated "a picture of indifference and inability or unwillingness" by South Africa to protect "white South Africans from persecution by African South Africans," William Davis, a member of the refugee protection division of the IRB wrote in his decision.

However, the decision sparked some outcry. The South African government had branded the decision as "racist" and "alarming" and warned it could impact its relations with Ottawa.
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/690663

another article...

SA demanding judicial review after Canada gives white man asylum

2009/09/03
Cape Town – South Africa will demand a judicial review of Canada’s decision to grant a local man refugee status because he is white, Deputy International Relations Minister Sue van der Merwe said yesterday.
She said Canadian authorities told South Africa’s high commissioner in Ottowa the decision was taken by a quasi-independent immigration board and the government could not interfere. But this would not deter Pretoria.
The government has rejected the decision to grant Cape Town-born Brandon Huntley, 31, refugee status – on the basis that he was victimised because of his race – as “disgusting”.
“We are of the view, however, that the relevant minister in Canada has the ability to hold a judicial review and the South African government will be urging the Canadian government to do so,” Van der Merwe told the National Assembly. “We will continue to pursue this matter until it is resolved.”
She said Canadian authorities should have consulted the South African government – which was not asked to make a presentation in the case – before deciding to grant Huntley asylum. “We think it shows a lack of familiarisation with the facts and reality of the South African situation.”
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada found that Huntley, allegedly attacked seven times, “was a victim because of his race rather than because of criminality”.
It accused the South African government of being unable or unwilling to protect white nationals from “persecution by African South Africans”.
Police chief Bheki Cele, meanwhile, said at a Southern African Regional Police Chiefs Co-operation Organisation meeting in Johannesburg that criminals did not target people because of their skin colour.
“Criminals in South Africa, they look at what you have rather than looking at your face,” Cele said.
“My house was broken into and some stuff was taken, and I remain black. Surely my house was never broken into because I am black?”
Huntley told immigration officials in Canada that black people had attacked him seven times – including thrice being stabbed while subjected to verbal racial abuse – and that white people were not safe in South Africa.
He did not lay any charges, The Star reported yesterday. “I’ve opened people’s eyes,” Huntley said, adding he would not talk to local authorities about the matter. “I refuse to talk to the government,” he said.
In his ruling, Canadian immigration board chairman William Davis said Huntley “was a victim because of his race rather than a victim of criminality”, concluding that “the evidence shows a picture of indifference and inability or unwillingness of the government and the security forces to protect white South Africans from persecution by African South Africans”.
Home Affairs Department spokesman Ronnie Mamoepa said the Canadian decision was based on “absolute rubbish”, while the ruling ANC described it as “racist”. – Sapa
http://www.weekendpost.co.za/article.aspx?id=466827
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:48:52 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Asylumseeker ???
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 09:36:51 PM »
Trinis, mexicans, yankee soldiers,czech gypsies, ....is everybody tryin dis 'persecution in mih backside' ting now or wha??
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 10:02:12 PM »
Trinis, mexicans, yankee soldiers,czech gypsies, ....is everybody tryin dis 'persecution in mih backside' ting now or wha??

It eh wukin 4 none of dem.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 11:05:59 PM »
WC, I say yuh want something ...  ;D

Anyway, above referenced action calls into question the political pressure stemming from the IRB decision. Among other things, with WC 2010 around the bend this couldn't fly in silence. The implications of the Canadian action are stunning.

Separately, I'm surprised the non-resident Canadian hater hasn't surfaced from his Jamaican exile ... :devil: ... to address this issue sua sponte.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 01:51:13 AM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>