March 28, 2024, 09:54:26 AM

Author Topic: 2009 US Open.  (Read 16063 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 US Open.
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2009, 08:38:53 AM »
Or and they make sure they complete the fairy tale story for Kim. "Only her 3rd tournament after giving birth she wins a major tournament." With her daughter at center court not a better story to be told at the tournament.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2009, 10:06:09 AM »
Agreed, is like the incident just gave her a reason to blow a gaskett! As much as I like both sisters they need to learn to take their losses a little more gracefully.

What Venus do?  When else have they not taken their losses gracefully??

giggsy11

« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2009, 10:59:55 AM »
Agreed, is like the incident just gave her a reason to blow a gaskett! As much as I like both sisters they need to learn to take their losses a little more gracefully.

What Venus do?  When else have they not taken their losses gracefully??

Not giving their opponents credit for playing them well enough to beat them. They always seem to be moaning about this and that when they lose. I love their games and that they are successful but is always something.

This is just an example

"U.S. OPEN
TheStar.com | Tennis | Loss to Henin leaves Venus sore, dizzy loser

Loss to Henin leaves Venus sore, dizzy loser

Sep 08, 2007 04:30 AM
Rosie DiManno

NEW YORK

She was hoping for a magic pill, an infusion of pep, even a jump-up jelly bean to turn the trick.

But there was no elixir available to Venus Williams yesterday, just mystification over ill-timed illness and a U.S. Open final – the tantalizing taste of it – flushed down the toilet.

Head spinning, belly roiling, Williams all but lurched off the court, unbalanced and enervated by whatever's been ailing her of late, leaving Justine Henin to make solo sweet with a crowd clearly disappointed over the 7-6, 6-4 outcome: No Williams sister, indeed no American of either gender, left to contend for this made-in-the-U.S.A. championship.

"I was feeling dizzy, a little sick to the stomach, was just having energy problems,'' Williams explained, adding that the nausea had arisen earlier in the week – long before a bathroom duck just before this semi match began (hydration problem, that, she explained delicately, too much liquid guzzled). And well before Williams summoned a trainer to her side in the second set, having willed herself back from an early break, appearing to seize the momentum from Henin, the Belgian atypically tentative, vulnerable, throughout this encounter.

Trainer took Williams' pulse, fingers pressed to throat and handed her a packet of pills. "I don't even know what she said. I was, like, in a zone. I was just hoping that she had a magic pill. She gave me some sports jelly beans. I tried to eat 'em but I was still feeling dizzy.''

From Henin, who proceeds into tonight's final against Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova – both have won this tournament before – there was just the slightest hint of skepticism about Williams' health issues, as if she sensed another excuse therein. Informed that Williams claimed she'd been less than 100 per cent for this match, Henin dropped a cool and sarcastic: "I'm surprised.''

A few nights earlier, of course, Serena Williams was disgracefully ungracious about her quarter-final loss to Henin, with lots of sniping about "lucky shots.''

Henin countered that she was hardly feeling cartwheel hot herself, with an unspecified breathing problem. "I saw the doctor also.''

It did sound a bit odd for Williams to retroactively play the malaise card, suggesting indisposition had been affecting her for the past two weeks, when she had been playing with sublime form here, her best tennis in years.

She did look bleary-eyed afterwards, though.

"I felt I was fighting some circumstances I couldn't conquer.''

What she couldn't conquer, notably, were several of Henin's brassy drop volleys and angling topspin shots. Nor was it characteristic of Williams to be so weak on her second serve, successfully attacked by Henin.

In sweeping the siblings, Henin accomplished what no woman has managed at a major other than Martina Hingis, who pulled off the double-slam at the '01 Australian Open, though losing the final to Jennifer Capriati.

World No.1 Henin, who hasn't dropped a set here, had earlier admitted being somewhat in fear of the Williams sister, coming into this match with a 1-7 record against Venus, though the two hadn't met head-to-head since 2003. Henin has captured six majors since then, the same as Venus.

"I didn't believe in myself, didn't trust myself enough in the last few years against them. This year, a lot of things have changed. I still have a lot of respect but I'm not scared anymore. It's been really, really important to me in this tournament to play both of them. It was a great challenge and I did it.''

Then, one turn of the screw: "They are both great champions. I can admit that.''

Not-so-subtle implication: They can't.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:17:46 AM by giggsy11 »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2009, 02:48:21 PM »
So Serena thinks we saw her passion for tennis Saturday night.

I saw cowardice.

I saw an oversized, underachieving loudmouth get smacked into reality by a just-out-of-retirement mom.

I saw the character flaw that prevents Serena Williams from taking her rightful place alongside Michael Jordan as one of the greatest champions of all time.

In an absolutely crazy, busy and fabulous sports weekend, two moments stood out: 1. Serena Williams' match-point meltdown in her U.S. Open semifinals clash with Kim Clijsters; 2. Michael Jordan's raw, in-your-face, take-no-prisoners Hall of Fame induction speech.

Serena and Jordan are both being crucified for their alleged classless behavior. Only one deserves it, the one who issued the gutless apology on Sunday.

"(Saturday) night everyone could truly see the passion I have for my job," Williams said in a press release. "Now that I have had time to gain my composure, I can see that while I don't agree with the unfair line call, in the heat of battle I let my passion and emotion get the better of me and as a result handled the situation poorly. I would like to thank my fans and supporters for understanding that I am human and I look forward to continuing the journey, both professionally and personally, with you all as I move forward and grow from this experience."

Do you see the words "I'm sorry" in any of that? What you see is one last potshot at the line judge who had the audacity to follow the rules. You also don't see any recognition that Serena comprehends her threats to shove a ball down the throat of a woman half her size overshadowed the remarkable performance of her opponent.

But we've grown used to Serena belittling her competition.

Serena has been so emotionally coddled and crippled by her enablers, including irresponsible and irrational television commentator John McEnroe, that she mistakes embarrassing displays of poor sportsmanship as passion and competitive fire.

Someone get her a copy of Jordan's Hall of Fame speech.

Jordan's rambling and possibly cocktail-inspired acceptance rant has been misinterpreted by the media. We didn't like it. It wasn't gracious or spiced with false humility. Jordan declined the high road and traveled the bone honest one.

In graphic detail, he explained the slights — real, exaggerated and imagined — that fueled his competitive fire. He gave us a peek behind the curtain, a look at what drove the greatest competitor in our lifetime. I overlooked his missteps. He's a basketball player, not a motivational speaker. He spoke without a map. His words were not measured or chosen to create the impression he was anything beyond a competitive son of a bitch.

Serena and many of her groupies see the foot-fault call that put Clijsters at match point as a continuation of the inherent racial bias that has plagued Serena's entire tennis career. And perhaps it is. Life is inherently unfair, and a country-club sport like tennis is more racially unfair than most.

How does a top competitor with limitless talent respond to unfairnes 
Jordan chose to destroy his challengers and shame the people who propped them up with never-before-seen on-court excellence.

No doubt, racial bias played a role in Buzz Peterson being named North Carolina's high school player of the year over Jordan in 1981. Friday night, Jordan talked about how he roomed with Peterson at UNC and set out to prove Peterson's inferiority. Jordan said he didn't care about the infamous NBA All Star freeze-out allegedly orchestrated by Isiah Thomas and other black players. Jordan said the rumor only made him work harder to prove to his peers that he deserved the attention and acclaim he received at an early age.

Jordan took shots at the high school coach who didn't let him play varsity as a sophomore, Jerry Krause for valuing the franchise more than the players who powered the Bulls, Dean Smith for leaving him off a Sports Illustrated cover and Bryon Russell for daring to say he could defend Air Jordan.

Jordan wasn't a whiner. He was a competitor. He was old school, a reminder of the values that created the social progress and freedom too many black athletes now take for granted.

Kicking ass and taking names earns far more respect than take-my-ball-and-racket-go-home tantrums. No one respects a crybaby, especially one with more ability than everyone else.

Clijsters put a clown suit on Serena. Two-and-a-half years after retiring to have a baby and in her first major since her return, she wiped the court with the self-described No. 1 player. Rather than take her beating like a a grown-ass woman, Serena first smashed her racket and then sacrificed match point with a ridiculous tirade directed at the line judge.

Everybody knows damn well Serena has no business losing a major to a baby's mama. And everyone knows damn well if Serena dropped 20 pounds and focused on her game, she'd be untouchable.

But rather than focus on her unrealized potential, McEnroe and Serena's other groupies want to pretend that calling a foot fault late in a match that Serena was clearly losing was some sort of hate crime worthy of Serena making a fool of herself.

The foot fault didn't cost Serena the U.S. Open. Just like nearly every other loss in her career, Serena's unwillingness to compete at her highest level led to the defeat.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2009, 05:09:33 PM »
weary for a moment i say u wrote that article! then i see it on msn!
like serena but sorry..she lost it totally..threatening that little woman? wow! Kim had her number in de match and for all mcenroe tirades he never came close to those kinda threats.,..at least in the tings i seen of him with my young self ;D
Back in Trini...

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2009, 06:29:09 PM »
anybody notice how fast federer does put on his watch for the presentation ceremony?

the camera was on del potro for maybe 20 seconds.  that must be a real lucrative endorsement deal.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2009, 06:57:42 PM »
Del Potro shocks Federer in 5 for U.S. Open titleby Zachary Pierce, FOXSports.com

Roger Federer and Juan Martin del Potro battled for the U.S. Open title, with the Argentine winning a memorable five-set thriller for his first career Grand Slam title. Recap all the action here with our blog.

Del Potro defeats Federer 3-6, 7-6 (5), 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-2

Fifth set
Game 8: Another Federer mishit to start the game, more missed first serves, a forehand into the tape. It's 0-30, del Potro. Federer gets the next point but then badly errs on a backhand, giving del Potro two championship points. Federer saves the first, then the second. On the second deuce, Federer double faults to give del Potro another championship point. And he gets it! Federer misses on a backhand and Juan Martin del Potro has pulled the tournament's biggest stunner!

Game 7: Federer just can't find the court with any shot right now. A hold at love, and the defending champion is on the ropes.

Game 6: Another double fault from Federer to open the game. Again, he bounces back to secure the hold. Time is running out for the five-time defending champion.

Game 5: Federer keeps giving himself opportunities but he just can't bust through. Del Potro holds yet again. He's two games from the major upset.

Game 4: What a horrendous time for Federer's serve to leave him. He's been fighting against it all day. He holds here, but he's going to need to break to get back in it.

Game 3: We should know one thing about this set: Federer won't quit. He fights his way to a break point here but del Potro scrambles out and holds.

Game 2: Is Federer feeling the nerves? Some loose forehands give del Potro two break points. Federer saves one before del Potro scorches a passing shot to the far side for an early break. This is getting dicey for Federer!

Game 1: A quick hold for del Potro. If he's feeling the nerves, he's not showing it.

Fourth set
Tiebreak: Federer double faults to start the breaker. Then more patented del Potro hitting gives him a 3-0 lead. They trade serve points on the next three and change ends at 4-2. Someone from the crowd calls "Out!" on a del Potro, which sparks up a controversy. Federer stopped playing the point after punching the ball back. He then complained and won a challenge, which irritated del Potro due to the long delay. The end ruling: del Potro gets his first serve back. On the ensuing point, Federer shoots a backhand long for a 5-2 lead. Federer wins two on his serve to make it 5-4. On the next rally, Federer misses with a forehand and del Potro gets two set points. Another forehand misses. We've got our first five-set U.S. Open since 1999, folks.

Game 12: Some big serving sends us to a tiebreak as del Potro holds at love. Federer could be on the verge of the title.

Game 11: Del Potro's playing some nice points on Federer's serve, but only after getting into a big rut first. Federer jumps out 40-0, then del Potro gets the next three to force deuce. He crushes a Federer return to earn himself a break point. Federer saves that and another before securing the hold.

Juan Martin del Potro got the crowd behind him in the fourth set. (Al Bello / Getty Images)

Game 10: Del Potro rares back for a couple huge serves to give himself a point for 5-5. He caps a rally with a big-time winner up the line for the hold.

Game 9: Just like last set, a quick turnaround takes a lead from del Potro and gives it to Federer. The world No. 1 holds to put himself one game from a sixth straight U.S. Open title.

Game 8: Federer ramps up the pressure on del Potro and gets a break point. A long rally ends with del Potro shorting a forehand. We're back on serve.

Game 7: Federer appears to have an easy hold before del Potro challenges a serve on the final point, wins the challenge, then wins the point to make it 40-30. Federer buckles down and finishes the game on the next point.

Game 6: A fantastic rally ends with del Potro flicking a forehand winner up the line, just inside the back corner, then high-fiving some lucky fans in the first row. This crowd may soon be fiercely on his side. A quick hold puts del Potro up 4-2.

Game 5: Del Potro is showing some great mental toughness. He hits a great forehand winner up the line, then coaxes a couple Federer miscues for three break points. A Federer forehand flies wide and the Argentine scores a break at love. Now, can he consolidate with a hold?

Game 4: A key point at 30-15 goes Federer's way. A del Potro forehand sailed just long (though TV reviews showed it barely clipped the line). Federer gets another break point. Del Potro then wins three straight for another huge hold.

Game 3: Del Potro sure is letting that forehand loose now. Federer, though, is still able to hold easily.

Game 2: The crowd senses del Potro's losing his mojo and he gives Federer two break chances on his first service game of the set. Two solidly played points get del Potro to deuce. Federer shoots a forehand wide and then del Potro blasts a cross-court forehand to get a crucial save.

Game 1: Here's the ultimate test for del Potro. You just went from a break up to losing the set in the blink of an eye and now you're faced with the unenviable task of needing to win two straight sets to beat Roger Federer in a major final. He comes out swinging, winning a point on a nice cross-court forehand to get it to 30-30. Federer wins the next two points for the hold.

Third set
Game 10: Del Potro ended up challenging the last point of the previous game after a long delay, which ticked off Federer considerably. He cursed at chair umpire Jake Garner. It also seems to have fired him up. He grabs a 0-30 edge, two points from the set. Del Potro gets back to 30-30 but then double faults twice to hand the set to Federer on a plate.

Game 9: Federer starts with an ace-service winner sequence before Del Potro fights back into the game with some huge hitting. Two big forehands give him a break point at 30-40. The Swiss sensation digs out again and holds.

Roger Federer struck back in the third set. (TIMOTHY A. CLARY / Getty Images)

Game 8: Federer curls a backhand winner on a sharp angle to give himself a 0-30 advantage, his first shot in awhile that's made us ooh and ahh. Del Potro rockets a forehand long and suddenly Federer can bounce right back. Del Potro saves two before Federer swipes the next point to level the set.

Game 7: 30-30 to start the game. Federer sprays a forehand wide to give del Potro a break point. Federer fires another forehand wide and del Potro leads the match for the first time.

Game 6: The Argentine has really kicked it in gear on his serve. A hold at love. No one's getting any chances so far in this set.

Game 5: Del Potro gets a quick look at 0-15, but Federer powers back for the hold. Still on serve.

Game 4: Federer gets himself into some rallies but del Potro wins the points and holds.

Game 3: A beautiful running backhand pass up the line give del Potro a break point early in the third. He tries to get cute with a forehand and misses it just wide. Federer shakes it off and holds to stay on serve.

Game 2: A quick hold for del Potro. They're both settling into the match.

Game 1: The danger of taking a set off Federer is always that you'll awaken the beast. And maybe that's what's about to happen. Federer fires a pair of aces to give himself a 40-0 lead and holds at love.

Second set
Tiebreak: Del Potro hits a crazy defensive shot from one corner to the other to win the first point. They stay on serve over the next five points and change ends at 3-3. A mishit from Federer gives del Potro a mini-break at 4-3. Del Potro smacks a winner, then a great first serve followed by a backhand winner to give himself three set points. He misses a backpedaling overhead to blow the first one. His up-the-line return floats wide on the next. Del Potro's got one left, and it's on his serve. Off Federer's return, an inside-out forehand lands just inside the line and del Potro takes the set. Don't go anywhere!

Game 12: Federer won't be able to skate by with these bad first serves much longer. He double faults to open the game, then falls behind 15-30. But then an ace, a second serve winner and an error from del Potro bring us to a tiebreak.

Game 11: For so many reasons, that break was just what del Potro needed. He's back into this match mentally, pumping his fist and ripping his way to an easy hold. He has the lead in a set for the first time.

Juan Martin del Potro got himself back into the match in the second set. (Matthew Stockman / Associated Press)

Game 10: Boy, would del Potro like the first 18 games of this match back. At 30-30, del Potro rips a forehand up the line that is called out. The review shows that it just caught the line. On the next point, he curls another beautiful forehand up the line that catches paint again. Break to del Potro. Forget what I said about spotting two sets ...

Game 9: An easy hold at love for del Potro. The level of play is evening out between the players, but you just can't spot Federer two sets before you start playing well. Not a good formula for success.

Game 8: Del Potro is getting himself into rallies on Federer's serve, but he just can't win the big points. Federer fights through three deuces for a hold, putting him one game from the set.

Game 7: A pretty solid service game for del Potro. With Federer struggling to land his serve in the box, del Potro is by no means out of this. But time is growing thin in this set.

Game 6: That dangerous forehand just isn't there for del Potro today. Federer holds with ease.

Game 5: Del Potro appears to be on his way to a quick hold before Federer reels off a string of points to get another break point. Del Potro saves it and another to keep himself kicking in the set.

Game 4: The crowd roars when del Potro wins a long rally to take the first point. They desperately want him to get back in this. A pair of Federer errors give del Potro his first two break point chances of the match. Once again, Federer responds with his back in a corner and gets back to deuce. He then hits what appears to be an ace, but del Potro was distracted by something that blew on to the court. The chair umpire says to replay the point, and del Potro wins it. He can't capitalize on the break chance. Federer goes on to hold.

Game 3: A subdued hold from del Potro ends when he smashes away a shot Federer had to play behind the back. Between that and the through-the-legs winner yesterday against Novak Djokovic, Federer's turning this into quite a showcase.

Game 2: The crowd's not even applauding some of Federer's winners at this point. The only point he loses in the game is his own doing — a double fault. He's threatening to run away with this thing.

Game 1: Del Potro is in real danger of a total collapse. He double faults to hand Federer a 0-40 edge, then double faults again two points later. Early second-set break to Federer.

First set
Game 9: The blown opportunity doesn't bother Federer. He holds easily and wins the set on an ace.

Game 8: Big mental check time for del Potro. Federer gets a triple set point after a pair of mishits from del Potro and a nice drop shot. Del Potro digs in, though, and wins the next five points to stay in the set, finishing with an ace out wide.

Roger Federer was feeling it during the first set. (TIMOTHY A. CLARY / Getty Images)

Game 7: The 20-year-old follows that with some nice hitting to get a 0-30 edge as Federer's serve starts to escape him. Federer — as he often does — finds a way out of the hole.

Game 6: Del Potro double faults at 30-30 to give Federer another break chance, then wins an extended rally and fires two aces to keep himself from being totally buried in this first set.

Game 5: Federer hits his way out of a potential trouble spot at 30-30. Del Potro has yet to threaten on the Federer serve.

Game 4: The bad news for del Potro: He's down a break. The good news: He can't serve much worse than he did in that first game. He connects on four first serves in this game and Federer can't handle any of them. Quick hold. He needed that.

Game 3: Federer holds without difficulty. Del Potro challenges a line call after a gorgeous Federer forehand to the back corner. It wasn't close. The first-time Slam finalist is a little rattled here in the early going.

Game 2: Federer's able to step in a couple times on del Potro's serve and gets himself a 15-30 edge. At 30-30, Federer attacks a second serve and rips a winner for an early break chance. Del Potro responds with a big serve-forehand combo to save it. Federer gets four more break chances before finally capitalizing on a brilliant running forehand passing shot after a fantastic rally. 2-0 Federer.

Game 1: It's the big-hitting del Potro against the all-around brilliance of Federer. The Argentine is going to need that heavy racket today, but Federer doesn't let him bust it out in the first game. A series of powerful serves and forehands keeps del Potro well behind the baseline as Federer holds easily.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2009, 07:31:03 PM »
YES!!! Finally somebody other than federer win  :-X
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2009, 09:12:32 PM »
I am  :o d man was 2 set up and say dat is dat.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

giggsy11

« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2009, 05:55:07 AM »
YES!!! Finally somebody other than federer win  :-X

Here, here! I was happy to see the player was able to maintain his high level of play against Federer and it was not a one time against Nadal. Hope he can keep it going. I wonder if Federer was overconfident?

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2009, 07:01:42 AM »
weary for a moment i say u wrote that article! then i see it on msn!
like serena but sorry..she lost it totally..threatening that little woman? wow! Kim had her number in de match and for all mcenroe tirades he never came close to those kinda threats.,..at least in the tings i seen of him with my young self ;D

serena eh in de same class as mcenroe or connors - dem fellas knew how to work de officials ... and de opponents for that matter. lead with yuh mouth not your body.

1]; } ?>