April 28, 2024, 06:15:19 AM

Author Topic: Glen undergoes surgery day after birthday  (Read 2416 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Glen undergoes surgery day after birthday
« on: October 21, 2009, 02:05:10 PM »
Glen undergoes surgery day after birthday
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

National Senior Team striker Cornell Glen will undergo cruciate ligament surgery on Thursday in San Jose in a bid to return to full recovery.

Glen suffered the knee injury a few weeks ago and was forced to sit out T&T’s final two 2010 World Cup qualifying games and despite making a return to the San Jose Earthquakes team, scoring recently against Toronto, he was still experiencing discomfort in his knee  and has opted to undergo surgery.

The former Columbus Crew man is hoping the extent of the injury is not overly serious. He explained that an MRI showed that the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) had been torn, however he has experienced pain in another area and only surgery will determined the exact type of injury

“I decided to undergo the surgery because I was still in some pain. The MRI showed the PCL was torn but the pain has been coming on no where close to the PCL and only surgery could indicate exactly what it is. We don’t know the full extent of it and depending on how it goes; I will know how long I’m sidelined for. We’re hoping it will not take more than 3-4 weeks for recovery,” Glen told TTFF Media.

“It’s obviously disappointing but these are the situations you end up in as a player and I will have to make another comeback. I was beginning to feel near full strength again and felt good playing too especially with the goal against El Salvador but now we’ll see how long it takes before I can return to the game. With God’s grace, hopefully it won’t be too long,” Glen added.

He joined San Jose in May 2009 where he signed a one-year deal and scored his first goal for the club against Real Salt Lake soon after.

Glen, who turned 29 on Wednesday (today) has netted 23 goals for T&T in 59 appearances since making his debut in 2002.
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Glen undergoes surgery day after birthday
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:58:01 PM »
Fight dem Cornell. We in yuh corner breds. You will make it.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 05:33:26 PM »
PCL not as bad as ah ACL from what ah know... maybe dumpalewie could elaborate.  As fuh de mystery pain... lawd ah hope is nutten serious.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
All the best Cornel!!!!

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 07:47:13 PM »
Happy Earth strong Glen...wish you ah speedy recovery after the surgery.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 07:51:05 PM »
dont get it twisted BnS...PCL just as important as ACL..just less common injury.
Ligaments, like cartilage aren't the best healers so that is why grafts usually end up being done.
But a fit fella puttin in the right rehab he shud be fine depending on the extent of the tear.
Hopefully it is a small tear and they can just shave it down
Back in Trini...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 08:24:38 PM »
dont get it twisted BnS...PCL just as important as ACL..just less common injury.
Ligaments, like cartilage aren't the best healers so that is why grafts usually end up being done.
But a fit fella puttin in the right rehab he shud be fine depending on the extent of the tear.
Hopefully it is a small tear and they can just shave it down

Where did I say the PCL not as important dred?  PCL, MCL and ACL are all important for the stability of the knee, however because of the location of the PCL there isn't as much stress on it and the recovery from surgery is usually shorter and more complete than an ACL.  But that's just based on my observations over the years, me eh no orthopedic surgeon.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 11:18:48 PM »
yea papa...blessings
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 11:36:39 PM »
Glen need ah good ole fashion bush bath..... and some licks with ah Cokiea broom sah

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 06:15:50 AM »
oh gosh bns i eh attacking yuh..it came across as u thought it was a lil more trivial..hard luck if not so, but
it is a very important ligament that takes a good bit of stress. The reason for not havin surgery most times is because of the difficulty of location nothing to do with it's importance. Have a completely torn PCL and try to walk up some stairs! You won't like it at all!
PCL just doesn't get damaged as much because of the movement required for it to be torn.
I would also be surprised if the PCL is the only thing damaged. That is very rare
I may not be a orthopedic surgeon but that is what I am planning to specialize in. I just didnt want people thinking it was some little injury. Plus i got personal experience in gettin the triad of knee injuries!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 06:19:58 AM by NYtriniwhiteboy.. »
Back in Trini...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 12:41:15 PM »
oh gosh bns i eh attacking yuh..it came across as u thought it was a lil more trivial..hard luck if not so, but
it is a very important ligament that takes a good bit of stress. The reason for not havin surgery most times is because of the difficulty of location nothing to do with it's importance. Have a completely torn PCL and try to walk up some stairs! You won't like it at all!
PCL just doesn't get damaged as much because of the movement required for it to be torn.
I would also be surprised if the PCL is the only thing damaged. That is very rare
I may not be a orthopedic surgeon but that is what I am planning to specialize in. I just didnt want people thinking it was some little injury. Plus i got personal experience in gettin the triad of knee injuries!

??? ???

You misunderstand me on two fronts... to begin I never took what you said as an "attack", I just don't understand why you interpreted what I said to mean that the PCL isn't important.  Again, I never implied that a PCL injury is trivial, all I was saying is that it seems easier to recover from than an ACL injury.  When I said that I wasn't no Ortho that wasn't me throwing word for you or being sarcastic... that's just me making clear that I'm not pretending to have medical expertise, and willing to defer to those who do.  My opinion that it's not as devastating as an ACL is based on following athletes who have had both types of injuries (in American football and basketball) and seeing the prognosis for recovery, and actual recovery.  From what I could gather the ACL is more career-threatening.  But I'm willing to acknowledge that I could be wrong.  A pity it have to take all this long talk... but hopefully that clears it up.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 01:07:03 PM »
Bakes all i tryin to tell u is there is good reason that u could think that is less recovery time etc. It is due to many reasons:
1) PCL injury is extremely rare in these sports. The type of trauma required doesn't often happen in tackles (NFL and Soccer)
2) PCL is very hard to repair due to its location
3) Most docs tend to go the route of straight rehab and strengthen everything else rather than attempt to touch the PCL or attempt a graft

Thus many think that the injury requires less down time. Because the pain and swelling will be less than ACL or cartilage tears.The main thing is that most pple don't touch the PCL and it comes across to a lot of pple that it is not that important but do not realize the rehab people will put in to make sure they strengthen the knee as a whole

I eh knocking u nor did i think u were knocking me. I just know that you like things put quite clearly so I just hope this makes more sense than my previous posts. Kinda rushed between classes
Back in Trini...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 01:27:09 PM »
Happy Earth strong Glen...wish you ah speedy recovery after the surgery.

Big Up!

COSIGNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Earthquakes forward Cornell Glen undergoes successful surgery
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 07:05:50 AM »
Earthquakes forward Cornell Glen undergoes successful surgery
oursportscentral.com

The San Jose Earthquakes announced that forward Cornell Glen underwent successful surgery yesterday. Glen had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee to repair a torn meniscus. Earthquakes team orthopaedist Dr. Mike Oberlander performed the surgery at the Sequoia Surgical Pavilion.

He will miss the Quakes final match on Saturday, Oct. 24 against the LA Galaxy, but is expected to make a full recovery in time for the 2010 season. Glen appeared in 12 matches this season for the Earthquakes, scoring four goals and notching one assist.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 07:38:15 AM »
Bakes all i tryin to tell u is there is good reason that u could think that is less recovery time etc. It is due to many reasons:
1) PCL injury is extremely rare in these sports. The type of trauma required doesn't often happen in tackles (NFL and Soccer)
2) PCL is very hard to repair due to its location
3) Most docs tend to go the route of straight rehab and strengthen everything else rather than attempt to touch the PCL or attempt a graft

Thus many think that the injury requires less down time. Because the pain and swelling will be less than ACL or cartilage tears.The main thing is that most pple don't touch the PCL and it comes across to a lot of pple that it is not that important but do not realize the rehab people will put in to make sure they strengthen the knee as a whole

I eh knocking u nor did i think u were knocking me. I just know that you like things put quite clearly so I just hope this makes more sense than my previous posts. Kinda rushed between classes

I hear you... but still respectfully disagree with your assessment.  My opinion is based on athletes who have actually had the surgery.  The three reasons you offered as to why the down time might be less is based on the individual not having any surgery, no?  Now if in fact that the post-surgical rehab is just as arduous and prolonged as ACL rehab... then that would be another matter.  I never really got the sense that it was.

At this point I eh even go offer ah opinion on de meniscus rehab, lol  Wish Cornell a full and speedy recovery  :beermug:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:40:12 AM by Bake n Shark »

1]; } ?>