April 27, 2024, 11:54:58 PM

Author Topic: Best World XI  (Read 7482 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: Best World XI
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 02:50:24 PM »
after today's performance...

Casillas

Julio Cesar

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 07:09:49 PM »
Its been a long time.. I going with:

Casillas

Maicon     Terry       Lucio        A. Cole

Ribery    Iniesta    Fabregas    C.Ronaldo

Drogba        Messi

Mascherano and Gerrard for Fabregas and Iniesta (more defencve balance, with Gerrard still capable of being a threat from deep).  Gigi Buffon for Casillas.  Torres for Drogba.  Vidic for Lucio.

Buffon

Maicon     Terry   Vidic       A. Cole

Gerrard  Mascherano   

Ribery               Messi          C.Ronaldo

Torres 

"Mascherano and Gerrard for Fabregas and Iniesta....."   You must be was drunk and tired from a party when you thought this one up.   

What wrong with two holding midfielders when you have Ribery, Ronaldo and Messi on the starting 11.  That is good balance.  Many coaches play with two holding midfielders....balance is essential; it's not just about the star power...

I was looking at it purely from a perspective of being a better midfielder, period.  Even so, if is holding midfielder yuh looking for, Michael Essien and Lassana Diarra are a better combination that them two yuh pick.  Yuh getting blade when they play defense and the Michael Essien alone is more valuable than either of your picks, and Diarra plays a more skilled game.  You put Andres Iniesta and Xavi to run an attacking midfield on a World's best XI the way they run Barca's midfield and the playing balls to the wingers and forwards that you put up and you have no need for a holding midfielder anyway.  You see manu get any play in the midfield (or ANY part of the field, for that matter) in the CL Final last May?  Steven Gerrard works well in liverpool and the epl but for England and anywhere else, he ain't bringin' it like Essien or Xavi or Iniesta.  He and Mascherano does just pelt a setta blade indiscriminately and even for a "holding midfielder" there is more to be offered in that role by better players.     

I beg to disagree.  Gerrard could work from deep and is effective going forward.  Any team would want a versatile player like that.  As for Mascherano, there must be a reason why Barca wants him.  He is a ball winner.  You don't have to have two pitbulls playing as holding midfielders.  One could be the pitbull, and the other the "ball handler", like Xavi Alonso used to work it with Mascherano.  Gerrard is equally capable of filling that role, and you only saying that because he is sometimes a victim of his own versatility.  How come Capello brining out the best in Gerrard now?  You just talking because yuh have a mouth.

All what you say dey I could say de same for Lampard and any of the other Chelsea midfielders outside of Michael Ballack.......don't mean they makin' a "Best World XI" in my book.  (and Lampard scores more than Gerrard eh) Clearly (or maybe not so clearly) you choose to see your "World Best XI" through a liverpool lens because yuh trowin' een Xavi alonso in de discussion.....I guess Gerrard id the only midfielder that "could work from deep"  because like some kinda magnet or something does prevent other players from doing it.  Like Essien does only play within a small patch in the middle of the field or something.  Again, I beg the question, how much of a ball winner do you really need when you have a duo like Iniesta and Xavi pulling strings in the middle?  Isn't a good offense the best defense to have?  Look at where that particular combination has contributed to where it have Barca in the La Liga standings......Look at where the your duo is contributing to have liverpool.  Capello having gerrard play his best football is all well and good against the Belaruses, Andorras, Kazakhstans, and once-great Croatias of the world.  He still have teams like Spain, Italy, Brazil and Ghana to look as good against.   Don't let Barca's "interest" in Mascherano overstate his value.  They are always "interested" in all kinds players.     

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 08:39:57 AM »

Casillas

Drogba        Messi

Mascherano and Gerrard for Fabregas and Iniesta (more defencve balance, with Gerrard still capable of being a threat from deep).  Gigi Buffon for Casillas.  Torres for Drogba.  Vidic for Lucio.

Buffon

Gerrard  Mascherano   

Torres 

"Mascherano and Gerrard for Fabregas and Iniesta....."   You must be was drunk and tired from a party when you thought this one up.   

What wrong with two holding midfielders when you have Ribery, Ronaldo and Messi on the starting 11.  That is good balance.  Many coaches play with two holding midfielders....balance is essential; it's not just about the star power...

I was looking at it purely from a perspective of being a better midfielder, period.  Even so, if is holding midfielder yuh looking for, Michael Essien and Lassana Diarra are a better combination that them two yuh pick.  Yuh getting blade when they play defense and the Michael Essien alone is more valuable than either of your picks, and Diarra plays a more skilled game.  You put Andres Iniesta and Xavi to run an attacking midfield on a World's best XI the way they run Barca's midfield and the playing balls to the wingers and forwards that you put up and you have no need for a holding midfielder anyway.  You see manu get any play in the midfield (or ANY part of the field, for that matter) in the CL Final last May?  Steven Gerrard works well in liverpool and the epl but for England and anywhere else, he ain't bringin' it like Essien or Xavi or Iniesta.  He and Mascherano does just pelt a setta blade indiscriminately and even for a "holding midfielder" there is more to be offered in that role by better players.     

I beg to disagree.  Gerrard could work from deep and is effective going forward.  Any team would want a versatile player like that.  As for Mascherano, there must be a reason why Barca wants him.  He is a ball winner.  You don't have to have two pitbulls playing as holding midfielders.  One could be the pitbull, and the other the "ball handler", like Xavi Alonso used to work it with Mascherano.  Gerrard is equally capable of filling that role, and you only saying that because he is sometimes a victim of his own versatility.  How come Capello brining out the best in Gerrard now?  You just talking because yuh have a mouth.

All what you say dey I could say de same for Lampard and any of the other Chelsea midfielders outside of Michael Ballack.......don't mean they makin' a "Best World XI" in my book.  (and Lampard scores more than Gerrard eh) Clearly (or maybe not so clearly) you choose to see your "World Best XI" through a liverpool lens because yuh trowin' een Xavi alonso in de discussion.....I guess Gerrard id the only midfielder that "could work from deep"  because like some kinda magnet or something does prevent other players from doing it.  Like Essien does only play within a small patch in the middle of the field or something.  Again, I beg the question, how much of a ball winner do you really need when you have a duo like Iniesta and Xavi pulling strings in the middle?  Isn't a good offense the best defense to have?  Look at where that particular combination has contributed to where it have Barca in the La Liga standings......Look at where the your duo is contributing to have liverpool.  Capello having gerrard play his best football is all well and good against the Belaruses, Andorras, Kazakhstans, and once-great Croatias of the world.  He still have teams like Spain, Italy, Brazil and Ghana to look as good against.   Don't let Barca's "interest" in Mascherano overstate his value.  They are always "interested" in all kinds players.    

Your above statement shows that you have very little insight when it comes to the tactical aspects of the game....I don't have to add anything after what you said...I rest my case.  You make no sense bout an all all attack..and Gerrard over Essien because he score a lot more and is just as good defensively....

Offline Lifeisgood

• Jr. Warrior
  • Lively Up Yourself!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 01:41:38 PM »
          Julio cesar

Maicon    Terry   Lucio   Evra

Essien

Ronaldo   Fabregas    Gerrard

Drogba   R.V.P.

Boss ..ah was with yuh until these two mistakes.   ;D

Yuh cyar have a WORLD 11 without the best player in the WORLD - Messi.

Yuh formation in a mess too : 4-1-3-2 ...doh really see too much ah dat.. unless yuh get lazy and did not want to hit de space bar or tabs..to move man around! 

Look de side.. 4-2-3-1 (with one of the 3 playing as a 'half striker')

Casillas (Cesar)

Maicon (Alves)            Terry (Ferdinand)   Lucio (Vidic)        Cole (Ramos)

Essien (Toure)       Gerrard (Pirlo)

Xavi (Kaka)
              Messi (Rooney)                              Ronaldo (Iniesta)
                                       Drogba (Torres)

Honorable mention:
Fabiano, Ribery, Lampard, Ibrahimovic
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:53:52 PM by Lifeisgood »
Never be afraid ....
To turn over your uncertain Future
..to our certain God.

Love one another.  Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 04:59:20 PM »

Casillas

Drogba        Messi

Buffon

Gerrard  Mascherano   

Torres 

All what you say dey I could say de same for Lampard and any of the other Chelsea midfielders outside of Michael Ballack.......don't mean they makin' a "Best World XI" in my book.  (and Lampard scores more than Gerrard eh) Clearly (or maybe not so clearly) you choose to see your "World Best XI" through a liverpool lens because yuh trowin' een Xavi alonso in de discussion.....I guess Gerrard id the only midfielder that "could work from deep"  because like some kinda magnet or something does prevent other players from doing it.  Like Essien does only play within a small patch in the middle of the field or something.  Again, I beg the question, how much of a ball winner do you really need when you have a duo like Iniesta and Xavi pulling strings in the middle?  Isn't a good offense the best defense to have?  Look at where that particular combination has contributed to where it have Barca in the La Liga standings......Look at where the your duo is contributing to have liverpool.  Capello having gerrard play his best football is all well and good against the Belaruses, Andorras, Kazakhstans, and once-great Croatias of the world.  He still have teams like Spain, Italy, Brazil and Ghana to look as good against.   Don't let Barca's "interest" in Mascherano overstate his value.  They are always "interested" in all kinds players.    

Your above statement shows that you have very little insight when it comes to the tactical aspects of the game....I don't have to add anything after what you said...I rest my case.  You make no sense bout an all all attack..and Gerrard over Essien because he score a lot more and is just as good defensively....

You cant be serious. Pick Gerrard over Essien, fair enough, but it is ridiculous to say Gerrard is as good as Essien defensively. Essien is the best defensive midfielder in the world at the moment, bar none. Essien is the best ball winner in the world at the moment, bar none.

One thing that probably does not come across on TV (since the camera tends to follow the ball) is just how important Essien is to Chelsea's defence. Cole and Boswinga/Ivanovic are constantly bombing forward and its Essien's job to fill in every time. Once the attack breaks down, Essien is the first line of defence. People go on about Terry's defensive abilities but d truth is Terry can be a loose cannon at times, whereas you can absolutely trust Essien to make the right choice. It is amazing how often he is first to the ball during a game....that isnt luck, it is talent.

Gerrard is not a defensive midfielder, he isnt even as good as Mascherano in that position. He has not history or pedigree in that position.

Be serious.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 05:03:10 PM by Ryan »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 05:26:15 PM »

Casillas

Drogba        Messi

Buffon

Gerrard  Mascherano   

Torres 

Your isolation of that statement shows that you have very little insight when it comes to understanding English.  I used it as an example of a variation to the options I gave you in my previous post, which included players like Michael Essien and Lassana Diarra that are better picks, IMO, in a "World Best XI" than the liverpool connection you are trying to force-feed into the fray.  You resting case and looking smug and foolish.  If I put a four-man midfield of Essien, Diarra, Xavi and Iniesta, how am I compromising defensive tactics? If I leave out your two shit-hongs and put any three of the aforementioned midfielders with the BEST defenders in the world behind them and the three BEST forwards in the world in front ah dem, what coach would have a problem wit dat? (other than benitez, of course).  Boy, go and walk alone somewhere eh!   

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 07:27:21 AM »

Casillas

Drogba        Messi

Buffon

Gerrard  Mascherano   

Torres 

Your isolation of that statement shows that you have very little insight when it comes to understanding English.  I used it as an example of a variation to the options I gave you in my previous post, which included players like Michael Essien and Lassana Diarra that are better picks, IMO, in a "World Best XI" than the liverpool connection you are trying to force-feed into the fray.  You resting case and looking smug and foolish.  If I put a four-man midfield of Essien, Diarra, Xavi and Iniesta, how am I compromising defensive tactics? If I leave out your two shit-hongs and put any three of the aforementioned midfielders with the BEST defenders in the world behind them and the three BEST forwards in the world in front ah dem, what coach would have a problem wit dat? (other than benitez, of course).  Boy, go and walk alone somewhere eh!  

Chow...one minute yuh talking about all out offense, hence your line-up; so I suggest a midfileder (Gerrard) who could fit that position and still score tons of goals.  Now yuh talking bout Essien....Is either yuh going for real offensive power, or yuh want someone to really sit in front the back four.  Which one?

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
Chow...one minute yuh talking about all out offense, hence your line-up; so I suggest a midfileder (Gerrard) who could fit that position and still score tons of goals.  Now yuh talking bout Essien....Is either yuh going for real offensive power, or yuh want someone to really sit in front the back four.  Which one?

Tenor, I not getting into allyuh thing but you way off base on Gerrard. Gerrard is no where near as good as Essien defensively. Essien problem is that he is too versatile and he does end yup getting the dog work but he is no slouch going forward. When Gerrard broke through at Liverpool would play him in the middle and at right back and there was talk of him as a Roy Keane character but he is not that type of player.

Gerrard is not a very disciplined footballer. His role at Liverpool where he has freedom to do what he wants is his best role. He likes setting up players and scoring the goals and he is good at it.

On the flip-side he does not hold formation or mark space when he is part of a midfield two. When he is passing from deep he wastes possession because every ball is a "killer ball". He also has a tendency to foul players too often when he is dispossesed. Also people get tie up when they see Gerrrad and Lampard run back on a play and nick the ball off somebody. They instantly think that they are some uber-versatile defensive genius when nothing further could be the truth. Gerrard fit and he could run plenty but he no where near Essien as a defensive force. Gerrard scores more than Essien becuase he takes penalties and plays much further forward, very unfair to suggestthat he could do Essien's job AND still score more goals than him.

As for Mascherano. I can't see how you could suggest him for a current world 11 when by all reports he is playing poorly and is not a shadow of the player that he was last year. Yuh Liverpool bias really clouding your judgement.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2009, 12:30:10 PM »
Fellahs.. one thing i will say about this whole notion of a Best XI..

for me, when i engaging in an exercise like this, i just pick the 11 best individual players in each position of a straightforward 4-4-2 and done de talk there..

rather than get into who will play where in the side, or who will provide defensive cover or who will provide more width on the wing etc..  then some men will come with a 3-5-2 formation or a 4-3-3 formation so they chook 3 forwards.. then some men will improvise and put dani alves left back and eto'o in midfield... dat bound to have argument in it..

a man pull me up for leaving out essien because the side have no steel .

Truth is i had him in my side initially, but strictly from the perspective of a CM, player for player i had to give Fabregas the edge. jmho

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2009, 12:30:42 PM »
Nice post JDB

Ppl forget Essien is one of the deadliest shooters in the game and his passing eh backward either.

Mascherano is as overrated as Kaka
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2009, 12:36:19 PM »
also for de Lass men, who watch the AC v Real game?

it had a play in the last 10 mins when he was running back to his goal alone to bring down a bouncing ball and a forward was bearing down on him (think it was Pato)..

Now usually that is one of the toughest situations for a defender to deal with because, 1. yuh too far from goal to head back to the keeper without selling him short, 2. the forward can give yuh a body or a shoulder without fouling and throw you off balance and dispossess, 3. is always a misjudgement waiting to happen, if the keeper coming or staying, if you should go, if you should hoof, if you should focus on the forward etc.

i see the man pressuring Lass... Lass hit de man a body fake and send him one way, then bring down the ball and check it the next way in one motion.. then calmly distribute to the left back... I say yes, the man is a boss.. calm and composed.

just wondering if men saw the play...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2009, 01:03:42 PM »
also for de Lass men, who watch the AC v Real game?

it had a play in the last 10 mins when he was running back to his goal alone to bring down a bouncing ball and a forward was bearing down on him (think it was Pato)..

Now usually that is one of the toughest situations for a defender to deal with because, 1. yuh too far from goal to head back to the keeper without selling him short, 2. the forward can give yuh a body or a shoulder without fouling and throw you off balance and dispossess, 3. is always a misjudgement waiting to happen, if the keeper coming or staying, if you should go, if you should hoof, if you should focus on the forward etc.

i see the man pressuring Lass... Lass hit de man a body fake and send him one way, then bring down the ball and check it the next way in one motion.. then calmly distribute to the left back... I say yes, the man is a boss.. calm and composed.

just wondering if men saw the play...

Saw that play...the man is class- the only thing I would say against him he is prone to the occasional mis-touch, or questionable decision in costly areas.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2009, 10:22:25 PM »

Casillas

Drogba        Messi

Buffon

Gerrard  Mascherano   

Torres 

But Jed......I never even posted a lineup!!! My initial involvement was to accuse you of being tired and drunk from a party to have taken Iniesta and Fabregas (wit yuh fas' self  ;D ) outta Omar lineup: 

Casillas

Maicon     Terry       Lucio        A. Cole

Ribery    Iniesta    Fabregas    C.Ronaldo

Drogba        Messi 

.......and put in your two shitsnakes, Gerrard and Mascherano. Whole time you going back and forth with me and I  :rotfl: because you arguing with me without knowing what actual lineup I had in mind.  I was simply offering you varying reasons why, in a midfield vacuum of "The World's Best", any option/combination of either Diarra, Essien, Iniesta and Xavi would be a better one than the liverpool bias yuh was imposing on the thread.   You start to tell me 'bout what I know and don't know about "tactics" and all dah chupidness and I still gettin' kicks.  I doh give too much of a rat's ass about "tactics" when it comes to just throwing up a lineup of a "World's Best XI" Jed.  Here IS my lineup, Boss:

GK:   Gianluigi Buffon......ah love (Julio Cesar) but Mr. Consistency wins out by a hair
CD1:  Lucio (Ricardo Carvalho)
CD2:  Juan (John Terry)
RB:   Maicon (Dani Alves)
LB:   Ashley Cole (Clichy)
MF: Michael Essien (Lassana Diarra) (John Obi Frikkin' Mikel!!!)
MF: Xavi (Fabregas.....even though ah hate de lil facker!)
MF: Iniesta (Kaka)
FW: Messi (Torres)
FW: Drogba (Swan Dive-boy.....even though ah hate the lil facker!)
FW: Luis Fabiano (Eto'o) (Pato!!!)

If yuh find I like too much offense, well, like I said before, the best defense is a great offense.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2009, 11:44:57 AM »
Nice post JDB

Ppl forget Essien is one of the deadliest shooters in the game....... 

:D    He must be hear yuh.....he now say "COSIGN." against Blackburn...

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2009, 01:22:41 PM »
Nice post JDB

Ppl forget Essien is one of the deadliest shooters in the game....... 

:D    He must be hear yuh.....he now say "COSIGN." against Blackburn...

After dat bullet, Essien was picking up de ball at half-line and de whole stadium was bawlin "SHOOT"  ;D

1]; } ?>