April 29, 2024, 04:13:03 AM

Author Topic: Only Brazil are better than England  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Only Brazil are better than England
« on: October 10, 2005, 05:25:09 PM »
Ah jus read : http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=345325&cc=5901 where Mr Owen said..Striker Michael Owen believes only Brazil are better equipped than England to lift the World Cup next summer.

If you fellas and ladies were to list the top five countries currently in the world, what teams would be on that list. Additionally..forget about Brazil for a moment.. what other team do you guys think..have a shot at winning the WC if it was to start next week?

« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 05:26:41 PM by Jumbie »

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Only Brazil are better than England
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 05:33:49 PM »
i read that too, owen is an ass. England just lost to northern ireland and could only scrape past austria yet only brazil is better ???

if i was to list the top 5 teams excluding brazil id say

Holland
Argentina
Ukraine
Mexico
dont laugh but Poland look good too
i think spain is picking up to although they never do well at major championships

out of those i think holland and argentina have a chance

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 05:36:17 PM »
The usual suspects...Germany, Italy, Argentina, Holland and yes England.

You cannot sleep on England because outside of Germany they will have the largest support there. They also have a big game player to carry them.

Holland is young but Van Basten is a magicman so far. This WC will be like playing at home for them too.

Italy always disappoints but I fraid to bet against them, they must come good some time.

After Brazil Argentina have the most talent and Pekerman is a boss. I would love to see them win.

Notice I ent mention France, I expect their troubles to continue.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 05:46:25 PM »
yeh i forgot about germany the hosts, also turkey if they qualify could be dangerous. remember they will have the biggest support 2nd only to germany. they have som immpresive players at club level anyway

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 05:50:45 PM »
This is a matter of ones opinion,all those countries are good,i've seen years where Brazil should have won the WC and did not,with the curent system just enjoy the ride.
 Is one observation i have though,why is it when we rateing top countries ppl quick to mention Holland,what's Holland record at Snr or Youth level?what's their Football history(produce some good players),when was the last time they won anything.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 05:56:50 PM »
You must expect owen to talk so. He do really believe dat...he just mustering up some morale for his team since the getting such a beating in de press. he could say Brazil because most people doh hate on Brazil....de English press and all would give him dat.....but he cyah say Argentina or Germany cause dat is the teams dat England have de biggest rivalries with. nd for allyah who doh know how de press does move ...de headline woulda be "Owen says England don't stand a chance against Argentina or Germany'...den he would have to hide from de English public...de man doing a press kit...doh take it so literal...

best 5 (excluding Brazil)

1) Argentina
2) Italy
3) Portugal
4) Holland
5) France (if de qualify, i feel dis is the team you eh want to meet)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 06:01:36 PM »
They make two finals and win a Euro.

These are not mean achievements. They were also in a Euro and WC Semi recently that makes them coamparable or better than other countries that get respect like Italy and England. If yuh exclude the pre-war results Italy only make three finals, winning one. All France had was one Euro and some semis before 1998.

The fact is the WC is once every four years and Brazil does win it all the time so it is hard to write off teams just because they didn't win. You have to recognize their potential as well.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 06:08:48 PM »
Brazil is my favorite team, and player for player, they have the potential to dominate the W.C. if they get it right (the 4-1 Confed final opened up our eyes as to what they "could" do).....but right now, I would't put them up there on this plateau like everyone else is.....

They lost to Mexico and tied Japan in the confed cup... they are second in their qual group.....They recently tied with Croatia in a friendly....To me they not off and running yet....

Brazil is "arguably" the best.....and that is still a contentious argument in my books.....

5 best

Argentina/Brazil - depends on the day
Portugal
Holland
Trinidad & Tobago ;D

Owen's comment was just one for the press.....
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 06:10:36 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 06:10:33 PM »
They make two finals and win a Euro.

These are not mean achievements. They were also in a Euro and WC Semi recently that makes them coamparable or better than other countries that get respect like Italy and England. If yuh exclude the pre-war results Italy only make three finals, winning one. All France had was one Euro and some semis before 1998.

The fact is the WC is once every four years and Brazil does win it all the time so it is hard to write off teams just because they didn't win. You have to recognize their potential as well.

Additionally.. on current form you really can't discount the orange!.. BTW..My beloved orange will win the next WC cup... if they don't do the usual self-destruction

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 06:13:02 PM »
yeh remember di man say if the world cup started next week and if it did holland would be up there

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 06:13:34 PM »
italy is shit man, id easily put turkey ahead of them...how you all forget turkey.watch
Hart for president

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 06:17:46 PM »
I know i'll get licks for this but how would you compare Holland and Mexico.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 06:27:38 PM »

Right now I could only judge them on results because I haven't seen Holland play recently.

I don't see Mexico beating up on the Czech Republic like Holland has. This is still a Mexico team that lost to the States this series, a States team that cannot keep up with the likes of Holland, Italy, Germany and England.

I would give the edge to Holland but that doesn't say that Mex can't win a head to head because on their day Mex can compete.

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 06:30:00 PM »
italy is shit man, id easily put turkey ahead of them...how you all forget turkey.watch

yeh man i done tell dem about Turkey. Germany is like friggin turkey aswell they will have just as much support as Germany. if they qualify or course. we all remember what happend agaist Latvia last time

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 06:45:31 PM »

Right now I could only judge them on results because I haven't seen Holland play recently.

I don't see Mexico beating up on the Czech Republic like Holland has. This is still a Mexico team that lost to the States this series, a States team that cannot keep up with the likes of Holland, Italy, Germany and England.

I would give the edge to Holland but that doesn't say that Mex can't win a head to head because on their day Mex can compete.

Did Mexico not play in the Confederation Cup and their Youth teams did well at U19 and they won the U17 WC,i'm not talking about yesterday it's about today.Brazil lost to some weak teams but ppl still rate them the best team in the world. 

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2005, 10:08:06 PM »
watch this five (outside of brazil)

1. serbia montenegro
2. argentina
3. portugal
4. holland
5. england

serbia is ah big side, savo milosevic (yorke fans go know about him) and kezman have spain looking fuh playoff spot!

de orange men will give trouble, i think that this is their time of rekoning!

portugal have a real nice energetic young squad

and also special mention tuh ghana!! dem is de dark horse!

oh yeah, and dont forget de soca warriors!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2005, 10:37:04 PM »

Did Mexico not play in the Confederation Cup and their Youth teams did well at U19 and they won the U17 WC,i'm not talking about yesterday it's about today.Brazil lost to some weak teams but ppl still rate them the best team in the world. 

I feel u jes baitin people.  U cyah be serious.   ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dutchman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 03:00:52 AM »
Argentina
Germany
Holland
Spain
Mexico or England

Very hard, Holland is doing good and van Basten is SUPER but at the end of a long tournament it also comes down to who do you have sitting on the bench and then bigger countries have better people on the bench.So when Robben is injured or Maduro or van der Sar I think we have a BIG problem and when Ronaldinho is injured Brasil has a minor problem.
Brasil has a hughe change to win once more I think. Modern soccer is also faster and faster ( with more injuries) and therefore your bench is more and more important.
If they would add 1 or 2 days between semi and final. that would be already be an advantage to us.
I think. I do think we have a good change to reach semi.
my 2 cents

thnks for all the possitive vibes about the dutch ;), it's nice reading and who knows if Brasil is unlucky and get hard opponents and hughe battles we might make a change. Spain might do good, just the spannish barcelona players are on top top level and I think Barca will do very good this year. And damn they are good in any sport nowedays. Go warriors !
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 03:40:48 AM by dutchman »
Rumor has it that every other thing you read or hear is just a rumor.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 04:53:58 AM »
ah think Spain trying ah ting this time..i sure for the last 20 years or so they blaze through qualifying blowing out almost evrybody with little effort...then get knock out early cause some team decide to lock up shop on them or just happen to upset them on the day.
so now they actually qualifying through some 'battles'..hardly scoring and scraping through to the playoffs maybe..by the time they kick off they group games they will know how to battle and fight for games...something that was missing in previous campaigns.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 06:39:15 AM »
alluh forgeting the africian qualifiers.ghana have a good team....ivory coast too.
mistakes are stepping stones to success

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2005, 06:50:59 AM »
Its hard to say who will hit form at the WC. Front runners now does boil down like baggi.
Remember Colombia 1994
Argentina 2002 etc

My dark horse from Europe Ukraine
From Africa Ivory Coast
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2005, 07:11:51 AM »

Come on man how you could just down play Mexico at that level just because they lost to USA.  The same Mexico about two Months before that lost beat favorites Brazil remember and that wasn't in no friendly.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2005, 07:49:51 AM »

Come on man how you could just down play Mexico at that level just because they lost to USA.  The same Mexico about two Months before that lost beat favorites Brazil remember and that wasn't in no friendly.

I have to agree if Mexico hit form they could upset anyone. In the CONfed Cup they beat Brazil and took Germany to penalties.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2005, 09:21:39 AM »
 In terms of star quality Owen has a valid point.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2005, 09:53:21 AM »
In terms of star quality Owen has a valid point.

Star quality has nothing to do with football.  Iz just whoever the media talks up, that is all.  Star quality cah score goals.
Owen talkin tootoo.

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Justice is what de youths dem need overall..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2005, 10:50:28 AM »

Owen talkin tootoo.

I 2nd dat motion..dat is real tata in truth..England is very inconsistent and only has 3 or 4 players that can be considered world class.

In my opinion, the contenders are:
Argentina
Italy
Turkey
Germany

PREtenders:
Portugal
Spain
England
USA

'de danger' teams:
Mexico
South Korea
Holland
Ecuador
Warriors! ;D
"...de way dem deal wit Mankind all mih gyal start bawl.."

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2005, 05:47:23 PM »
Best teams:

1)Trinidad and Tobago
2)Mexico
3)Portugal
4)France
5)Argentina

Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2005, 06:27:14 PM »
allyuh talking bout Turkey..this current side no where near as good as the one in 2002.
if yuh want dark horse..look at Croatia, Ukraine and maybe Ivory Coast.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

1]; } ?>