March 28, 2024, 03:13:01 PM

Author Topic: Findley happy with his decision in choosing USA over T&T.  (Read 12787 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Findley happy with his decision in choosing USA over T&T.
« on: September 08, 2009, 06:01:32 PM »
Robbie's Return.

Real Salt Lake forward Robbie Findley had arrived into Trinidad for the second time in his life to play soccer – what isn’t well know is that he easily could have been wearing the colors of the Soca Warriors.

Findley’s parents Rawle and Vanessa – are both natives of Port-of-Spain, having moved to New York in the early 70’s where they married and eventually had Robbie.  After Findley’s soccer career became promising, a family friend arranged a tryout with the T&T U-21 team in December of 2005.

“I really didn’t know what to expect,” said Findley.  “It was good to get over here and see where my family grew up, and see a lot of aunts and uncles.”

While the soccer experience wasn’t memorable, the chance to see his parents’ roots has stuck with him.

“I had seen pictures, but to actually see it really opened my eyes.  I visited the neighborhoods where my parents lived, and even saw the houses they grew up in.  It was tough for them growing up here.  There were a lot of people living in a small house, but they made it work.  It made me realize how great we have it in the U.S.  I’m very thankful for what I’ve been blessed with.”

And the emotions of coming back to the land of his heritage, this time wearing a U.S. jersey?

“It’s tough, but I’m happy with the decisions I’ve made.  Hopefully I get chance to contribute Wednesday.”

Whatever the case, Robbie will certainly have supporters in the crowd since plenty of relatives still live in the area.  Just as important as what they will bring to the game is what they will bring after.

“There is a local dish called Roti that I love. There are a bunch of different kinds. It’s basically a flour tortilla that can be rolled with things like chicken curry and potatoes.  My aunt is going to bring me some for the trip home.”

With all the special memories and glimpses into his heritage, Robbie will indeed be heading home.

Touchdown in Trinidad

The team arrived in Trinidad around 7:30 p.m. local time and made the 30-minute trip into downtown Port-of-Spain.  For those of you that enjoy the little details, some random observations from the trip:

•As usual, the coaches used the time to watch video from the previous game.  Several players took advantage of the opportunity as well throughout the trip; Amongst others, at one point Benny Feilhaber, Carlos Bocanegra, Clint Dempsey and Jonathan Spector were huddled around a computer watching the game tape.

•Landon Donovan and Brian Ching were heavy into crossword puzzles.

•Chad Marshall spent most of the trip reading a John Grisham novel.

•There are a bunch of guys who are flat-out sleepers.  We think Gooch might be out before the cabin doors are closed

•The in-flight movies were Night at the Museum: Battle at the Smithsonian, Star Trek, and Watchmen.  (Movie choices were made by the flight crew, in case there is any critique about the selections).

•The flight path took the plane past Cuba - the water around the island looks stunning from above - and since we flew at dusk there were some amazing colors at sunset.  A band of blazing orange that faded into yellow against a dark blue sky lasted for about 20 minutes; unfortunately, the photos we tried to take didn't quite do it justice. Chalk that up to human error ...

•We also flew near Hasely Crawford Stadium - site of Wednesday's match - which was still lit following T & T's training session.  From 10,000 feet, it certainly looks like it will be a great place for a night game.

Scene Set

Quite a different change of environment from last week's high altitude base in Park City, where the weather was warm and dry behind a backdrop of mountain peaks and a small-town feel.

Here in Port-of-Spain the air is hot and humid, but there's a nice breeze taking the edge off the heat.  The hotel affords a fantastic view of the harbor and the surrounding hills, and is just on the edge of some of the more tropical areas of Trinidad.

It's been a pretty quiet day as the players continue to rest and recuperate, with the bus departing for training in a little more than 30 minutes.  There is a line building up in the training room for players waiting to get ankles taped and other treatment before the 45-minute session at Hasely Crawford Stadium.  Earlier in the afternoon, several members of the group sat down for interviews with ESPN for tomorrow's nights pre-game show and broadcast.  At lunch, the team got a visit from Len Kusnitz, the Chargé d'Affaires for the United States in Trinidad & Tobago. 

We'll have more news following training, including the progress of Charlie Davies as he recovers from the left calf contusion suffered Saturday night against El Salvador.

Source: ussoccer.com - live on ussoccer blog.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Findley happy with his decision in choosing USA over T&T.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 08:13:49 PM »
when findley tried out he did not make the final cut for our under 21 for some reason .. maybe he had a bad camp ... guy like judah hernandez kyle hall etc made the cut . hall later switched to canada and judah well seems like his career hit a brick wall ... wish findely the best .. we over looked him!!!!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:50:03 PM »
Trini_2010 why did you change your name? Have you given up already? You not going to fight till the end?
So I guess you ride out from the Alamo before the big battle :shameonyou:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:54:29 PM by Tallman »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 09:37:13 PM »
Robbie's Return.

“I had seen pictures, but to actually see it really opened my eyes.  I visited the neighborhoods where my parents lived, and even saw the houses they grew up in.  It was tough for them growing up here.  There were a lot of people living in a small house, but they made it work.  It made me realize how great we have it in the U.S.  I’m very thankful for what I’ve been blessed with.”

As if it doh have a lot of people livin in a small apartment and worse far less a house in de USA.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 09:42:08 PM »
Robbie's Return.

As if it doh have a lot of people livin in a small apartment and worse far less a house in de USA.

he never been to the bronx, detroit or harlem b4 or wha?  ::) anyways breds good luck, i said you should make the team b4 and yuh get blanked, small ting, i cant blame you, alot of our coaches and admin cant identify talent
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:43:43 PM by Controversial »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 10:04:14 PM »
Robbie's Return.

he never been to the bronx, detroit or harlem b4 or wha?  ::) anyways breds good luck, i said you should make the team b4 and yuh get blanked, small ting, i cant blame you, alot of our coaches and admin cant identify talent
So so true breds, yuh preach dey. i've been saying that for yrs now, every time we have ah new coach we see ah total change where half of the previous team gone and ah new batch come in.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 10:07:25 PM »
Robbie's Return.

So so true breds, yuh preach dey. i've been saying that for yrs now, every time we have ah new coach we see ah total change where half of the previous team gone and ah new batch come in.

family, fellahs on this board have a hard time accepting that, they think trinidad full of shithongs, when its quite the opposite, bc the coaches cant see a talented player until a scout see him or he get a trial in the uk.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 10:23:23 PM »
dem fellahs could never select this team bc they cant see the potential and the strengths of the players:

phillips

spann        thomas/abu bakr    samuel    williams

noel

edwards            tinto           jagdeosingh

roberts

glen

edwards - captain

if samuels aint gel in the back, run abu bakr and thomas oui bc right now we dont have a coach like wim tuh organize the backline.. the funny thing is certain people know if we had a good coach we would advance.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 10:48:55 PM »
enjoy Findley....

Fu#k off...tnt
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 11:22:05 PM »

De man grow up comfortable in Arizona... how de f**k yuh expect him to speak to something he himself never experience?  Knowing something exist out dey and seeing it first hand fuh yuhself is two different things.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 02:05:23 AM »
Trini_2010 why did you change your name? Have you given up already? You not going to fight till the end?
So I guess you ride out from the Alamo before the big battle :shameonyou:

I didn't even realise that  :rotfl:

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 05:35:51 AM »
Robbie's Return.

funny enough palos that is the same shit that piss me off. I left my Land of Trinidad & Tobago where we were already living the American dream.. (house, car, lawn, fence) and got to brooklyn and moved into a 1 bedroom with 9 people. I was sleepin on a sofa bed and meh little brother was sleeping under the sofa bed. :rotfl: :rotfl:
and de3m talking bout livin in small quarters. I say to myself this is what I leave lovely Trinidad for. Many people have had similar experiences though they may not share it.

P.S. but then ah reach 42nd street and all my sorrows just went away... :devil: :devil: :devil:
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 06:46:27 AM »
So nobody ent send Robbie a bad roti yet.

f**k away with he!...he is we enemy today...boo he arse whenever he touch the ball and rest a good blade on him too. In fact every US player.

It go have some c**t sitting next to me in the stadium later rooting for USA yuh know...

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 06:47:28 AM »
dem fellahs could never select this team bc they cant see the potential and the strengths of the players:

phillips

spann        thomas/abu bakr    samuel    williams

noel

edwards            tinto           jagdeosingh

roberts

glen

edwards - captain

if samuels aint gel in the back, run abu bakr and thomas oui bc right now we dont have a coach like wim tuh organize the backline.. the funny thing is certain people know if we had a good coach we would advance.

like de team but ah feel Tinto need to run more than your position for him may allow. Love Jaggy and carlos on de wings. What about baptiste??
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 07:01:20 AM »
He's a striker,he cyar make we need anyway.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 08:24:33 AM »
big mag  hit him a carib bottle fi mi.
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 08:40:25 AM »

De man grow up comfortable in Arizona... how de f**k yuh expect him to speak to something he himself never experience?  Knowing something exist out dey and seeing it first hand fuh yuhself is two different things.
He may never have experienced it growing up in Arizona but there are a lot of counties in Arizona especially amongst the Native American population where poverty is rampant. Part of Findlay's problem is that like most Americans he chooses to ignore what is right below his nose and it's all part of that cultural bias that sees the US as the best and nothing wrong ever occurs within the best.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 09:07:32 AM »
He may never have experienced it growing up in Arizona but there are a lot of counties in Arizona especially amongst the Native American population where poverty is rampant. Part of Findlay's problem is that like most Americans he chooses to ignore what is right below his nose and it's all part of that cultural bias that sees the US as the best and nothing wrong ever occurs within the best.

How you arrive at that?!

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 09:19:10 AM »
The native american reservations are notorious for being in a state of dire poverty...it is something that you can't ignore unless you choose to. I'm sure ball has taken Findley all over the US and in doing so I'm sure he has been exposed to all types of neighborhoods.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 09:23:35 AM »
The native american reservations are notorious for being in a state of dire poverty...it is something that you can't ignore unless you choose to. I'm sure ball has taken Findley all over the US and in doing so I'm sure he has been exposed to all types of neighborhoods.

You could be as sure as you want to be is still an assumption.  Just because he lives in a state where there are reservations does not mean he has seen any of them up close.  You making generalizations bout de fella that have no basis other than your imagination fella.  Avoid making pronouncements on the fella as if you know him personally.  It's very possible that he hasn't been an eye witness to all the poverty that you believe he is ignoring.  Knowing it exists is quite different from seeing it with your own two eyes.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 09:27:40 AM »

native americans is the most impoverished ethnic group in the USA.

ironic since is more dem country than anyone else one.

anyhow...that is the outcome of an attempted genocide.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 09:28:11 AM »
The travesty here is that his first visit to T&T came so late in his existence.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 09:28:51 AM »
Robbie's Return.

Palos, it have man here in NY living in facking basemant, in a facking hole in de ground especially them Jamaicans. Findley is an ass we, it have poor anywhere in de world you go.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 09:32:48 AM »
I make no bones about knowing him ..I don't and I'm sure you don't either but my argument is based on how people think and some things don't change..we choose to ignore a lot that exists amongst us simply because it takes too much thought....

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 09:36:07 AM »
I make no bones about knowing him ..I don't and I'm sure you don't either but my argument is based on how people think and some things don't change..we choose to ignore a lot that exists amongst us simply because it takes too much thought....

I can agree with that statement in theory but that doesn't mean it fits all.  I eh kno de fella so I eh go make no judgements about his character as it pertains to what we discussing.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 09:40:40 AM »
It was tough for them growing up here.  There were a lot of people living in a small house, but they made it work.  It made me realize how great we have it in the U.S.  I’m very thankful for what I’ve been blessed with.”

Of course it could be that he was talking about his family and not Americans in general when he said "we."

Notice he followed it up by saying that he individually had been blessed.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 09:45:23 AM »
I'm not judging his character..I don't know him.....but he made a statement about his parents growing up in a small house and then said how great we have it here in the US and my argument is based on that last statement about how great "we have it here in the US"...that is an ignorant statement and from that it is obvious that he is walking with his nose to the ground.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 09:48:08 AM »
I'm not judging his character..I don't know him.....but he made a statement about his parents growing up in a small house and then said how great we have it here in the US and my argument is based on that last statement about how great "we have it here in the US"...that is an ignorant statement and from that it is obvious that he is walking with his nose to the ground.

See peong post above yours.  That is basically how I interpreted his statement.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 09:49:59 AM »
How I know that that small house comment woulda trip off some people?  Geez allyuh real sensitive dread.  Trinidad is a developing country and the majority of Trinidad looks like it- plain and simple.   The average standard of living in Trini is significantly lower than in the U.S. and by the sound of it,  based on what Findley saw of where his family grew up, he believes that he was able to enjoy a higher standard of living in the U.S. than he would had he grown up in T&T...and he's feels lucky for that.... so what? why the fuss?

For a Caribbean island, T&T has a decent size middle class that enjoys a standard of living somewhat comparable to the American middle class, but for the most part it's not like that, and visitors from countries like the U.S. detect it quite easily through simple observation, it eh rocket science...Many of us Trinis (especially those of the middle class) are sensitive about being stigmatized and stereotyped as 3rd world and poor, and while I could understand it, the truth is there's an aesthetic beauty to it that we take forgranted.  

I took an American guest back to T&T with me recently and she found the images of rural, undeveloped Trinidad to be absolutely breathtaking and amazingly pure...Now I doubt that anyone (including her) would voluntarily substitute a cush middle class American lifestyle for a rural shack in a Trini village and I agree that everyone should strive to improve their standard of living, and I don't turn a blind eye to the lack of basic human amenities that plague the poorer masses of T&T,  but let's face it most ppl who are ashamed of it don't really care about the harsh reality of it, they're only ashamed of it because they don't want to be lumped into the stereotype...so all we're really doing when we huff and puff is displaying an obvious inferiority complex when an outsider comments on it, instead of embracing it as part of what gives our local landscape character and believe it or not, makes it very beautiful and appealing to the eyes of many outsiders...

Anyways, sorry for the ramble..... back to football
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 09:53:16 AM »
How I know that that small house comment woulda trip off some people?  Geez allyuh real sensitive dread.  Trinidad is a developing country and the majority of Trinidad looks like it- plain and simple.   The average standard of living in Trini is significantly lower than in the U.S. and by the sound of it,  based on what Findley saw of where his family grew up, he believes that he was able to enjoy a higher standard of living in the U.S. than he would had he grown up in T&T...and he's feels lucky for that.... so what? why the fuss?

For a Caribbean island, T&T has a decent size middle class that enjoys a standard of living somewhat comparable to the American middle class, but for the most part it's not like that, and visitors from countries like the U.S. detect it quite easily through simple observation, it eh rocket science...Many of us Trinis (especially those of the middle class) are sensitive about being stigmatized and stereotyped as 3rd world and poor, and while I could understand it, the truth is there's an aesthetic beauty to it that we take forgranted.  

I took an American guest back to T&T with me recently and she found the images of rural, undeveloped Trinidad to be absolutely breathtaking and amazingly pure...Now I doubt that anyone (including her) would voluntarily substitute a cush middle class American lifestyle for a rural shack in a Trini village and I agree that everyone should strive to improve their standard of living, and I don't turn a blind eye to the lack of basic human amenities that plague the poorer masses of T&T,  but let's face it most ppl who are ashamed of it don't really care about the harsh reality of it, they're only ashamed of it because they don't want to be lumped into the stereotype...so all we're really doing when we huff and puff is displaying an obvious inferiority complex when an outsider comments on it, instead of embracing it as part of what gives our local landscape character and believe it or not, makes it very beautiful and appealing to the eyes of many outsiders...

Anyways, sorry for the ramble..... back to football

you good oui! I wasn explainin all dat ah talll!!  :beermug:

1]; } ?>