April 27, 2024, 09:50:50 PM

Author Topic: Findley happy with his decision in choosing USA over T&T.  (Read 12915 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Findley happy with his decision in choosing USA over T&T.
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 09:57:31 AM »
so all we're really doing when we huff and puff is displaying an obvious inferiority complex when an outsider comments on it,

By the same token you huffing and puffing bout that obviously displays a superiority complex on your part?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 10:01:10 AM »
The travesty here is that his first visit to T&T came so late in his existence.

This isn't his first visit. Read the first sentence in the article.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2009, 10:03:16 AM »
f**k off shithong...yuh getting boo...enjoy the bench

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
so all we're really doing when we huff and puff is displaying an obvious inferiority complex when an outsider comments on it,

By the same token you huffing and puffing bout that obviously displays a superiority complex on your part?

No...but if you deduce that, wha ah go tell yuh. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 10:13:02 AM »
The travesty here is that his first visit to T&T came so late in his existence.

This isn't his first visit. Read the first sentence in the article.

asylumseeker didn't say anything about this being his first visit.
From the article Findley's first visit was at age 19-20.
That's still late.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 10:15:40 AM »

palos boy ah eh even want to touch dat one...man does only look at things at face value...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 10:21:40 AM »
So nobody ent send Robbie a bad roti yet.

f**k away with he!...he is we enemy today...boo he arse whenever he touch the ball and rest a good blade on him too. In fact every US player.

It go have some c**t sitting next to me in the stadium later rooting for USA yuh know...

Touches is that you? Doh hit the puncheon so early. Wait till we up 2-0.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 10:21:46 AM »
That's still late.

My bad. The article also says that this is the second time in his life that he's come to T&T "to play soccer". So it's possible that he has made other trips in the past for personal travel with his family.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 10:35:51 AM »
I'm not judging his character..I don't know him.....but he made a statement about his parents growing up in a small house and then said how great we have it here in the US and my argument is based on that last statement about how great "we have it here in the US"...that is an ignorant statement and from that it is obvious that he is walking with his nose to the ground.

How in the world you arrive at that conclusion over a simple innocous statement is beyond me.  The US is a very blessed country, it has it's share of problems but it is a blessed country.  Trinidad as well... I think that much we can agree with.  When I was still living in TnT and used to visit my mudda family in Toco, with their simple wooden home, no electricity or running water, coal pot and mud oven... I used to marvel.  There was something about the rustic lifestyle to me that was charming... I loved it.  At the same time I also knew that as much as I liked it I preferred what we had... brick house with electricity and indoor plumbing walking distance to the EMR.  It made me appreciative of those things which we had... it wasn't much by most people's standards but I was appreciative all the same.

Now does that make my statement ignorant simply because I didn't in the same breath acknowledge the dire poverty of the Beetham, hardscrabble existence in Laventille or the squalor of the squatters who were living just outside my neighborhood in Valencia?  I doubt it... but feel free to disagree.  Findley was speaking in very specific terms about his experience, to a reporter in what was largely an improvised conversation.  Let's not act like the man was making some grand sociological comparison, or even some Kerouac-esque observation.  Context matters.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 10:37:32 AM »
How I know that that small house comment woulda trip off some people?  Geez allyuh real sensitive dread.  Trinidad is a developing country and the majority of Trinidad looks like it- plain and simple.   The average standard of living in Trini is significantly lower than in the U.S. and by the sound of it,  based on what Findley saw of where his family grew up, he believes that he was able to enjoy a higher standard of living in the U.S. than he would had he grown up in T&T...and he's feels lucky for that.... so what? why the fuss?

For a Caribbean island, T&T has a decent size middle class that enjoys a standard of living somewhat comparable to the American middle class, but for the most part it's not like that, and visitors from countries like the U.S. detect it quite easily through simple observation, it eh rocket science...Many of us Trinis (especially those of the middle class) are sensitive about being stigmatized and stereotyped as 3rd world and poor, and while I could understand it, the truth is there's an aesthetic beauty to it that we take forgranted.  

I took an American guest back to T&T with me recently and she found the images of rural, undeveloped Trinidad to be absolutely breathtaking and amazingly pure...Now I doubt that anyone (including her) would voluntarily substitute a cush middle class American lifestyle for a rural shack in a Trini village and I agree that everyone should strive to improve their standard of living, and I don't turn a blind eye to the lack of basic human amenities that plague the poorer masses of T&T,  but let's face it most ppl who are ashamed of it don't really care about the harsh reality of it, they're only ashamed of it because they don't want to be lumped into the stereotype...so all we're really doing when we huff and puff is displaying an obvious inferiority complex when an outsider comments on it, instead of embracing it as part of what gives our local landscape character and believe it or not, makes it very beautiful and appealing to the eyes of many outsiders...

Anyways, sorry for the ramble..... back to football

In a nutshell  :beermug:

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 10:37:51 AM »
That's still late.

My bad. The article also says that this is the second time in his life that he's come to T&T "to play soccer". So it's possible that he has made other trips in the past for personal travel with his family.

Yeh but that wouldn't explain Findley's comments about that trip in 2005.
They make sense if that was his first trip ever.

What about this part.

I had seen pictures, but to actually see it really opened my eyes.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2009, 10:38:46 AM »
I can attest to both side of the coin here. There are quite a few Trinis who left fairly comfortable lives in TT to pursue greener pasture in the states. I remember visiting some of my US friends back in TT and you should see some well furnished(not extravagant or big) houses they lived in. Others had board houses and still used latrines. When I came here,  I live in and small apartment with me moms. When my kids were born they had a small two bedroom house and fished basement with all kind of toys.. They have been to the Caribbean and the only things that bother them is mosquito, lizard and big cockroaches.

I don't think Findley meant much about his parents background. He probably really thankfull that they did all the right things to make life comfortable for him. He has options. If he does not make it in football he can rely on his college degree for his next move(thanks to his Trini parents fotitude).

To a lot of people this way of thinking or attitude could be a hindrance to US football. Some believe that is typical americam Middle class attitude. That is why some equate soccer with being a middle class sport where most white kids and "bourgois" black and minority kids can find some kind of niche. Soccer to most americans is not "not" roots enough.  Well that is another discussion for the forum

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 10:40:28 AM »
That's still late.

I doubt it... from appearances (and past interviews) it would seem that the tryout was the first time (much like Patterson) that he had an opportunity to connect with his Trini roots.  No shame in that, but a shame that it didn't happen when he was a child all the same.

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 10:41:48 AM »
I'm not judging his character..I don't know him.....but he made a statement about his parents growing up in a small house and then said how great we have it here in the US and my argument is based on that last statement about how great "we have it here in the US"...that is an ignorant statement and from that it is obvious that he is walking with his nose to the ground.

How in the world you arrive at that conclusion over a simple innocous statement is beyond me.  The US is a very blessed country, it has it's share of problems but it is a blessed country.  Trinidad as well... I think that much we can agree with.  When I was still living in TnT and used to visit my mudda family in Toco, with their simple wooden home, no electricity or running water, coal pot and mud oven... I used to marvel.  There was something about the rustic lifestyle to me that was charming... I loved it.  At the same time I also knew that as much as I liked it I preferred what we had... brick house with electricity and indoor plumbing walking distance to the EMR.  It made me appreciative of those things which we had... it wasn't much by most people's standards but I was appreciative all the same.

Now does that make my statement ignorant simply because I didn't in the same breath acknowledge the dire poverty of the Beetham, hardscrabble existence in Laventille or the squalor of the squatters who were living just outside my neighborhood in Valencia?  I doubt it... but feel free to disagree.  Findley was speaking in very specific terms about his experience, to a reporter in what was largely an improvised conversation.  Let's not act like the man was making some grand sociological comparison, or even some Kerouac-esque observation.  Context matters.

Yuh forget de posey under de bed.
Toujour Pret!

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 10:42:35 AM »
Another U.S. player who is currently visiting the country of his roots is Ricardo Clark, whose father is from T&T.

He also stands a very good chance of seeing the field tonight.
- Xavi

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2009, 10:44:40 AM »

Ent! ... and being tasked with emptying it  :rotfl: :rotfl:

--------------------

Deeks one of these days when I come back thru DC we must lime man  :beermug:

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2009, 10:51:12 AM »

--------------------

Well, since ah was hoping yuh woulda reply as such, what about this:

Muddah tell yuh empty de posey, which entails, going to de latrine, emptying de posey in de latrine, washing de posey and putting it back under de bed. But...

Lazy lil 4kah you are, instead, u jus go to de backdoor and fling de contents of de posey, except... you do so just as Ashton Brown was passin thru yuh back yard on de way to de shop to buy 6 hops bread and ah ounce ah cheese. Well, is Ashton Brown who get wet down with whatever was in de posey... and lord have mercy if it had piece ah toilet paper in dey.  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Toujour Pret!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2009, 10:52:29 AM »
Two so call Trinis on de US team and by 2014 it could have about 4, - Williams, Findley, Hill and Clark.

Of all places, USA using T&T genes and it have millions of foreigners living in USA, from Brazil to Spain.

If only the TTFF was a profissional federation eh...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2009, 10:53:31 AM »

Muddah tell yuh empty de posey, which entails, going to de latrine, emptying de posey in de latrine, washing de posey and putting it back under de bed. But...

Lazy lil 4kah you are, instead, u jus go to de backdoor and fling de contents of de posey, except... you do so just as Ashton Brown was passin thru yuh back yard on de way to de shop to buy 6 hops bread and ah ounce ah cheese. Well, is Ashton Brown who get wet down with whatever was in de posey... and lord have mercy if it had piece ah toilet paper in dey.  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Oh geeeeeed  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2009, 10:56:48 AM »

--------------------

need I remind u goodly gentlemen that it is the middle of the day in trini and men are in there place of work >:(, having said that.........................................hah haha haha ha ha hhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa choke harrrrrrrrr har cough cough, :rotfl: :rotfl: ;D :beermug:
I pity the fool....

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2009, 11:30:21 AM »
Findley should not judge otherwise he opening up heself to scrutiny.  He should be glad he family had house and land.  As a percentage of the population, we still enjoy a higher literacy and home ownership rate in our developing country than the US of A.  Lots of our people leave and go up in de cold and spend de majority of their earnings/savings and working life to get back de same things dey had when dey left T&T...namely a house or home (city dwellers) and possibly some land.  Plenty living like cockroach in cold basement for a long time.  Doh let all de gifts, fancy clothes, gold teeth and bling bling dey bring back fool yuh.  Some of dem barely surviving.  What dem peeps have more than we in Trinbago is work and yet despite this, many of dem Yankees prefer to live generation after generation on welfare in their fully developed country.  Poverty exists everywhere.  Dem Yankees like Findley must know dat.  Imagine, if dey cyah arrest poverty in their country cause dey choose to build bombs...little T&T go eradicate poverty.  Come on Warriors, pound some goal in dey ass later.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2009, 11:42:02 AM »
That's still late.

I doubt it... from appearances (and past interviews) it would seem that the tryout was the first time (much like Patterson) that he had an opportunity to connect with his Trini roots.  No shame in that, but a shame that it didn't happen when he was a child all the same.

Zeppo and Reading Comprehension 101?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2009, 08:55:28 PM »

I took an American guest back to T&T with me recently and she found the images of rural, undeveloped Trinidad to be absolutely breathtaking and amazingly pure...
Anyways, sorry for the ramble..... back to football

classic kicker...well thought out reasoned , articulate balanced response
the intellect of a rhodes scholar and  the emotions of a vulcan

but under all de ole talk...yuh get troo wit ah dirty sanchez or wha? or at least ah lil feel up in pigeon point
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2010, 04:58:03 AM »
Robbie Findley happily admits having indulged the fantasy.
By Michael C. Lewis (The Salt Lake Tribune).

Forward Robbie Findley hopes that his World Cup fantasy soon will become a reality.

Pulling on the special jersey jogging onto the field hearing the roar of a massive crowd as he emerges from the darkened tunnel as a member of the United States national soccer team to play in the World Cup soccer tournament - the biggest sporting event in the world.

"It's just something that everybody dreams of," he said, smiling.

Except that dream could soon become a reality for the Real Salt Lake forward. Findley is among a handful of players hoping to earn one of the final spots on the U.S. team for the World Cup in South Africa this summer.

And while the prospect is definitely exciting, it also is putting Findley in a challenging position as RSL prepares to play the Los Angeles Galaxy at the Home Depot Center on Saturday night, in a rematch of last season's MLS Cup championship game.

On the one hand, Findley needs to perform well over the next three weeks, to impress national team coach Bob Bradley, who will select the players for the World Cup. But on the other, he can't afford to get too caught up in the possibilities or push so hard to prove himself that he winds up playing poorly and sabotaging his chances.

"I know from personal experience, that can be a difficult situation," RSL coach Jason Kreis said. "It's also a learning process."

Midfielder Kyle Beckerman also has a chance to make the World Cup team, but his odds are much more remote because there are more good players ahead of him at his position.

"I don't really expect to make the team," he said.

But Findley?

His blazing speed alone makes him a contender for one of what most analysts believe are the last three spots up for grabs on the 23-man roster.

Add to that his impressive form from last season - he led RSL to the championship with a career-high 12 goals - and injuries to several fellow forwards, and Findley might just have a shot.

"You think about it a little bit," he acknowledged after practice earlier this week. "It's pretty big, so it's kind of hard to keep it out" of my mind. "But it's just times like this - training - and during games, you have to try to block it out. Focus on what you're doing at the time. Things will work themselves out if you're doing all the hard work out here and do what you need to do in the games."

Findley is coming off his first goal of the season, scored in RSL's shootout victory at San Jose in a U.S. Open Cup qualifying game on Wednesday night, and could use a few more in the next few weeks to show Bradley he's in top form.

Bradley must submit a preliminary 30-man roster to FIFA by May 11 - Findley seems almost certain to make that - before trimming it to 23 by June 1.

Shining against the Galaxy could prove particularly important, since the Galaxy's Edson Buddle might have played his own way into the picture with spectacular form so far this season. The striker has scored all five of the unbeaten Galaxy's goals in three victories, and fueled discussion among some soccer aficionados that he deserves consideration for the World Cup team.

But Buddle has not been called up for an international game in seven years, while Findley was summoned for training camp last year, in advance of World Cup qualifying games against El Salvador and Trinidad & Tobago. He didn't play in either game -"he didn't really get a chance," Beckerman said - but at least showed he was on the radar.

National team veterans Clint Dempsey and Jozy Altidore are the presumptive locks to make the World Cup team as forwards, with most analysts believing that Charlie Davies will join them if he can recover in time from the injuries he suffered in a car accident last year. Houston's Brian Ching also was considered as a top contender, until he hurt his hamstring against RSL two weeks ago.

All of which might open the door for Colorado's Conor Casey or Findley, whom Kreis believes has all the tools - physical and mental - to thrive on the national team.

"He's very even-keeled," Kreis said, and "he's very humble."

Meanwhile, with four games left until Bradley submits his preliminary roster, there's little for Findley to do except keep working hard and trying to score for RSL and prove he's ready for the big-time. Of course, he's only human. He might also permit himself an occasional dream about what it would be like to hear his name called on his sport's grandest stage.

"It would be an honor to represent your country and be a part of something like that," he said. "Not a lot of people get to do so."

- Fighting chance?

RSL's Robbie Findley is among at least six forwards fighting for probably three spots for the World Cup team:

Player Team Caps

Clint Dempsey Fulham 59
Versatile veteran scored team's only goal at 2006 World Cup.

Jozy Altidore Hull City 24 Top young star led team in scoring during World Cup qualifying.

Charlie Davies Sochaux 17 Fighting to recover from injuries suffered in car crash.

Brian Ching Houston 44 Hurt his hamstring two weeks ago, jeopardizing his chances.

Conor Casey Colorado 19 Enjoyed solid showing last summer after three years away.

Robbie Findley RSL 3 Coming off a great season, but has little international experience.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2010, 07:13:01 AM »
He could make the pre-WC camp, but I seriously doubt he makes final cut.

He hasn't looked too good in his few U.S. games so far. He has speed but still seems too tactically clueless for the international level. His finishing could be better, too.
- Xavi

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
Robbie Findley happily admits having indulged the fantasy.
By Michael C. Lewis (The Salt Lake Tribune).

Forward Robbie Findley hopes that his World Cup fantasy soon will become a reality.

Pulling on the special jersey jogging onto the field hearing the roar of a massive crowd as he emerges from the darkened tunnel as a member of the United States national soccer team to play in the World Cup soccer tournament - the biggest sporting event in the world.

"It's just something that everybody dreams of," he said, smiling.

Except that dream could soon become a reality for the Real Salt Lake forward. Findley is among a handful of players hoping to earn one of the final spots on the U.S. team for the World Cup in South Africa this summer.

And while the prospect is definitely exciting, it also is putting Findley in a challenging position as RSL prepares to play the Los Angeles Galaxy at the Home Depot Center on Saturday night, in a rematch of last season's MLS Cup championship game.

On the one hand, Findley needs to perform well over the next three weeks, to impress national team coach Bob Bradley, who will select the players for the World Cup. But on the other, he can't afford to get too caught up in the possibilities or push so hard to prove himself that he winds up playing poorly and sabotaging his chances.

"I know from personal experience, that can be a difficult situation," RSL coach Jason Kreis said. "It's also a learning process."

Midfielder Kyle Beckerman also has a chance to make the World Cup team, but his odds are much more remote because there are more good players ahead of him at his position.

"I don't really expect to make the team," he said.

But Findley?

His blazing speed alone makes him a contender for one of what most analysts believe are the last three spots up for grabs on the 23-man roster.

Add to that his impressive form from last season - he led RSL to the championship with a career-high 12 goals - and injuries to several fellow forwards, and Findley might just have a shot.

"You think about it a little bit," he acknowledged after practice earlier this week. "It's pretty big, so it's kind of hard to keep it out" of my mind. "But it's just times like this - training - and during games, you have to try to block it out. Focus on what you're doing at the time. Things will work themselves out if you're doing all the hard work out here and do what you need to do in the games."

Findley is coming off his first goal of the season, scored in RSL's shootout victory at San Jose in a U.S. Open Cup qualifying game on Wednesday night, and could use a few more in the next few weeks to show Bradley he's in top form.

Bradley must submit a preliminary 30-man roster to FIFA by May 11 - Findley seems almost certain to make that - before trimming it to 23 by June 1.

Shining against the Galaxy could prove particularly important, since the Galaxy's Edson Buddle might have played his own way into the picture with spectacular form so far this season. The striker has scored all five of the unbeaten Galaxy's goals in three victories, and fueled discussion among some soccer aficionados that he deserves consideration for the World Cup team.

But Buddle has not been called up for an international game in seven years, while Findley was summoned for training camp last year, in advance of World Cup qualifying games against El Salvador and Trinidad & Tobago. He didn't play in either game -"he didn't really get a chance," Beckerman said - but at least showed he was on the radar.

National team veterans Clint Dempsey and Jozy Altidore are the presumptive locks to make the World Cup team as forwards, with most analysts believing that Charlie Davies will join them if he can recover in time from the injuries he suffered in a car accident last year. Houston's Brian Ching also was considered as a top contender, until he hurt his hamstring against RSL two weeks ago.

All of which might open the door for Colorado's Conor Casey or Findley, whom Kreis believes has all the tools - physical and mental - to thrive on the national team.

"He's very even-keeled," Kreis said, and "he's very humble."

Meanwhile, with four games left until Bradley submits his preliminary roster, there's little for Findley to do except keep working hard and trying to score for RSL and prove he's ready for the big-time. Of course, he's only human. He might also permit himself an occasional dream about what it would be like to hear his name called on his sport's grandest stage.

"It would be an honor to represent your country and be a part of something like that," he said. "Not a lot of people get to do so."

- Fighting chance?

RSL's Robbie Findley is among at least six forwards fighting for probably three spots for the World Cup team:

Player Team Caps

Clint Dempsey Fulham 59
Versatile veteran scored team's only goal at 2006 World Cup.

Jozy Altidore Hull City 24 Top young star led team in scoring during World Cup qualifying.

Charlie Davies Sochaux 17 Fighting to recover from injuries suffered in car crash.

Brian Ching Houston 44 Hurt his hamstring two weeks ago, jeopardizing his chances.

Conor Casey Colorado 19 Enjoyed solid showing last summer after three years away.

Robbie Findley RSL 3 Coming off a great season, but has little international experience.

But it is not only those guys. You have Edson Buddle who has started off the season very good for LA Galaxy, leading with 7 goals already and Herculez Gomez who also has been playing well for Puebla. Another outside looker is Eddie Johnson who is playing with Aris in Greece.
My opinion is that Ching will go. He is the big man that is needed. Davies will go as he is coming off injury, Altidore, maybe Buddle if he keeps up and injury free.
Dempsey is a must without question there. He playing middle or up top depending on the formation.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2010, 05:46:39 AM »
Father shares Findley’s World Cup dream.
By Les Carpenter, Yahoo! Sports

JOHANNESBURG – Halfway around the world from here, a father sat before a television peering through the shadowy picture of an African night. This was last Saturday afternoon where he was. He looked for his son, Robbie, the quiet one, the driven one, the one he knew would be destined for fantastic things. The night before they had talked on the phone and Rawle Findley wouldn’t ask his boy the most important question – the one he had been dying to know in the days before the United States played England in their World Cup opener.

The night before they had talked on the telephone, Robbie Findley said nothing. The father who lives for soccer, who loves soccer, sat at the television with his other son and his daughter, staring, looking. He would like to have been here in South Africa, but Robbie was named to the U.S. team too late for him to make arrangements. Plus there was work. He would have to settle for television with his other children in Phoenix.

He watched Robbie racing down the field at Rustenburg’s Royal Bafokeng Stadium, past some of the best players in the world. His boy. His Robbie. Never had Rawle felt so proud.

“It was just disbelief that I had,” Rawle said over the telephone this week from Las Vegas, where he lives.

Nineteen years he has watched his child play soccer. He could remember them all last Saturday as he watched Robbie play against England. How could he forget the Paradise Valley Soccer Club in Phoenix where he first took his son as a child. What was he? Five? Even back then it was so obvious the boy could be great. It was in the way he moved with the ball on his foot, accelerating past the other kids, dribbling, dribbling. Everything so perfect. So natural. How did he do it?

The father laughs as he recalls his son jittering down the field.

“It was instinctive,” he says.

For six years he coached his sons, teaching them the game he grew up playing on the streets back home in Trinidad and Tobago. It was a game they played, the way kids never do in the U.S. – in open fields and empty roads kicking a ball all afternoon until the sun went down and the day turned cold.

But when Robbie turned 11, Rawle stepped away. He would not coach his son anymore. It was time for the boy to learn the game from someone else, lest a father’s impulses destroy his son’s instincts. Fathers push. Fathers demand. Fathers envision a level that maybe their children aren’t ready to reach. No, Rawle decided, Robbie would have to learn the game from somebody else.

Plus Robbie had his cousins. He had Mike Bibby who was then a point guard for the Sacramento Kings. Together, the two played basketball at local gyms with Robbie’s other cousin Shaun McDonald, who was about to burst into the NFL as a wide receiver for the St. Louis Rams, and the New York Knicks’ Eddie House, a cousin by marriage. They could push Robbie farther than a father could.

Even though Rawle loved soccer, he wondered if perhaps his son would be happier playing another sport. He suggested basketball. Would Robbie want to be like Mike Bibby? Robbie did not. Nor did he like baseball despite the fact he had a terrific arm. He wanted to play soccer. He wanted to go to Europe and someday play for one of the top club teams.

Secretly, Rawle was delighted. He wanted his son to play soccer, too.

As Robbie grew up it was obvious he was fast. Faster than everybody he played against. It made him valuable. At family get-togethers people were always saying Robbie and Shaun McDonald should race – the teenager and the NFL wide receiver. Who would win? None of them knew.

But Robbie was a quiet kid, a religious kid. When he grew into manhood he tattooed the words “humility” and “loyalty” onto his hands. These would be values, he’d come to say, “just the way I was brought up.” He never thought of himself as faster than everyone else, even though it was obvious again and again he was the quickest player on whatever soccer fields he played on.

“I still don’t think he realizes how fast he is,” Rawle says.

Shyly, Robbie says people tell him this all the time.

Still by high school it was clear to Rawle that his son was different. McDonald was a great soccer player himself. And before Robbie went to Shadow Mountain High School, McDonald was the best player they ever had, its all-time leader in goals scored. He used to tease Robbie, telling him he would never beat the record. Rawle laughed at the thought. Robbie had grown so well, had gotten so fast, he would break McDonald’s record.

In college, at Oregon State, Robbie became one of the school’s best players ever. But when he went to Major League Soccer he wasn’t considered an elite prospect, one who would be considered a real candidate for the national team. In fact, he never saw himself as a player in the World Cup. His goal was always Europe.

Then, after being traded from the Los Angeles Galaxy to Real Salt Lake, he blossomed. Rawle still can remember that night last year when RSL won the MLS Cup and Robbie scored a goal and held the trophy aloft. He had 12 goals in a breakthrough season. That got him on the radar for the national team. Then, the injury to Charlie Davies, USA’s fastest forward, got Robbie an invitation to the U.S. camp.

Despite not being in the same goal-scoring form as last season, he went to the U.S.’s pre-World Cup
camp in Princeton unsure if he’d be picked. But speed is hard to ignore and last Saturday Rawle watched his son roaring through the English defenders. He almost had to stop and imagine if what he was seeing could be true. His child. His Robbie.

“Can you believe this is Robert?” he said that day.

Thinking about this a few days later, he laughed.

“This is the highest you can get. There is no higher level you can go as far as soccer.”

Later that night, Rawle saw McDonald who had watched the game too. They talked about that race everyone wants Robbie and McDonald to have. The football player shook his head.

“Maybe once I could beat him, but not anymore,” McDonald told Rawle. “He’s faster than me.”

On Friday another World Cup match will come. Rawle will have to work that day. He is a software consultant in Las Vegas. He will be in his office. No time to slip away to watch at home or a sports bar. The father will sit at his desk, staring at another scene from halfway around the world. Maybe Robbie won’t start this time, what with Slovenia and its bigger, stronger defenders. Perhaps the Americans will want a taller player up front.

Rawle understands enough about soccer to know this can be true. But there is little doubt Robbie Findley will play at some point in the game. And Rawle Findley will feel the same magic he did last Saturday night when his son sprinted onto the field and past the best English players and into the most wonderful dream a father could ever have.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2010, 06:57:36 AM »

Plus Robbie had his cousins. He had Mike Bibby who was then a point guard for the Sacramento Kings. Together, the two played basketball at local gyms with Robbie’s other cousin Shaun McDonald, who was about to burst into the NFL as a wide receiver for the St. Louis Rams, and the New York Knicks’ Eddie House, a cousin by marriage. They could push Robbie farther than a father could.

:o :o
waaayyz,,that family have gatorade in they DNA or wha?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2010, 07:34:30 AM »
Nice piece dey on Robbie.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2010, 02:59:49 PM »

:o :o
waaayyz,,that family have gatorade in they DNA or wha?
I know right and yea Bibby mother is Trini. Woulda be cool if we had a respectable basketball team that he mighta want to run for he a real good player.

1]; } ?>