March 28, 2024, 08:32:31 AM

Author Topic: Canada's first Africentric alternative school opened today  (Read 2414 times)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Canada's first Africentric alternative school opened today
« on: September 08, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »
Enrolment up at Africentric school

TARA WALTON / TORONTO STAR
Kindergarten teacher Ms. Heather Mark takes attendance Tuesday morning outside of Canada's first Africentric Public School in Toronto. (September 8, 2009) September 08, 2009
Louise Brown
Education Reporter

Canada's first Africentric alternative school opened this morning with 115 students - 30 of them new in the past five days.

If enrolment continues to surge - there is room for up to 150 - the school may have to add another teacher and will try hard to find a male to join the current all-female staff, said school trustee James Pasternak, who represents the North York school hosting the program.

"We hire on the basis of ability, but we do need a male role model, so we are going to be actively recruiting male talent," said Pasternak of the Toronto District School Board, standing outside Sheppard Public School on Sheppard Ave. west of Keele St.

Sporting the school uniform of white shirt, black pants or skirt and vests of vibrant cloth from Ghana, children from kindergarten to Grade 5 were led into the school by teachers wearing African-inspired fabric and head scarfs. Inside the gym, west African drummers were warming up for the opening assembly, where children sang O Canada as well as the Black National Anthem, and read out a school pledge that starts with a vow to be "the best possible me."

"I like seeing the posters of Martin Luther King on the wall, and other famous black people - and I want to play the African instruments," said Asmaa Mohamed, 9, whose parents will drive her in each day from their home in Mississauga to take part in the historic program.

"Kids have to know their culture or they won't have a feeling of dignity - it's the confusion many kids feel that makes some of the violence," said her father Omer Mohamed, who came to Canada more than 20 years ago from Ethiopia.

Dorrell Stone brought her daughter Nickeshia to start Grade 5 at the school "to learn about our culture, especially things done by the people of Jamaica."

Long-time supporters of the controversial school, which won approval by a slim margin over critics' fears of segregation, were clearly emotional today to see the school finally open its doors.

"It feels like all my children are here today," said Donna Harrow, one of two mothers who pushed for the school, first proposed in 1994 by Ontario's Royal Commission on Learning, as a way to combat a 40 per cent dropout rate among black students.

"I remember the outrage when I suggested we try it as a pilot project back in 2005," said Lloyd McKell, the Toronto board's executive officer of equity, as parents, children and media clustered outside the school.

Today's opening assembly began with a traditional African "libation" ceremony, where children watched water poured in memory of their ancestors. They also learned to respond to statements with the Yoruba word "Ashe!" (Amen!)

Audrey Nakintu is sending her Grade 1 child to the school, "because obviously the public system grossly under-educates children about the people of the African diaspora. Black History Month is just a footnote; it's an insult."

Mothers Rebeckah Price and Tamara Griffith have organized bussing to the school for families as far-flung as Mississauga and Scarborough, for about $275 per month.

"We've had five more parents sign up in the last few minutes," said Price today. The school is open to children of all backgrounds.

"We're also starting to organize a parent council," said Price, whose great-great grandfather was a runaway slave who established a community in Jamaica that continues to this day, she said.

"I want my son to understand what black people have contributed, not just in Canada but the world in general."
http://www.thestar.com/article/692379
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
Re: Canada's first Africentric alternative school opened today
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 07:18:29 AM »
hmmm....

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 07:26:52 AM »
saw some parents being interviewed on the news.. many with mixed feelings about the school and it's purpose.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 01:53:47 PM »
Why all the apprehension, isn't this a good thing?   Isn't discrimination and neglect the reason why black communities have such low performance? Won't having a school that pays special attention to some of these issues move toward addressing underperformance of black youth?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »
wait nah - dey bussing from quite scarborough (and mississauga) to sheppard & keele?  ???  seem far compared to other private schools.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 08:19:13 PM »
Why all the apprehension, isn't this a good thing?   Isn't discrimination and neglect the reason why black communities have such low performance? Won't having a school that pays special attention to some of these issues move toward addressing underperformance of black youth?

I sense sarcasm in the force
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 08:21:22 PM »

whew .... hook, line and sinker
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 09:34:28 PM »

Your perceptive skills are impressive Dut-Ty-Wan
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

1]; } ?>