March 28, 2024, 05:01:47 AM

Author Topic: Alvin Corneal Articles  (Read 49849 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Alvin Corneal Articles
« on: September 09, 2009, 05:28:18 AM »
Warriors must show character now
By Alvin Corneal (T&T Guardian)

As the realistic options of qualifying for the World Cup finals in South Africa slip gradually away from our grasp, it is obvious that the task is an uphill one. We must now take a complete overview, void of all the fantasy frills and magical happenings, and settle into making a thorough analysis of the Honduras defeat with the hope of finding ways and means to rectify the vulnerability which caused the demise. It is true to say that the USA will have a different approach to the Central Americans, but the fundamental deficiencies which showed themselves will need correction before new tactics can be applied. The most appropriate remedy can be found on the videotape of the game, where facts do not change, and players can recognise what they have done as opposed to what they should have done at different times.

For coach Latapy, his job is more complex, as he may have to reassess the individual performances in order to create a new form of strategy gainst the Yanks. Personally, I do not think the USA’s type of game is based upon any highly artistic or creative formula. They are always fit, however. They carry the pace of the game as fast as they can, through all parts of the field, and have the tendency to become more intense and aggressive when they enter their opponent’s final third. Immediately, one thinks of a higher workrate from Kenwyne Jones and Cornell Glenn in order to pressure the heavy footed America defence and sometimes even rob them of the ball within the confines of their own goal. Like our own central defenders, the USA also have the problem of weak ground players and thrive on their capability of strong aerial play.

The concept of building all attacks along the ground and preferably through their central defence has often caused their wing defenders to retreat and contract laterally. This mode tends to reduce their regular flank attack, causing less service from the wings when they attack, and forcing the Yanks to try for their barging behaviour through centre field. One is always fearful to ask our players to practice the art and effectiveness of mobility in attack where the opposition will have a hard time against the skill and speed of Cornell Glenn, adding Kerry Baptiste and Hayden Tinto to their woes.

This calls for criss cross movement, and sometimes the return to defensive shape when the ball is lost, becomes a huge problem. A specific ball winning midfielder is high priority, possibly Clyde Leon, who could get some source of assistance from the versatile Kenwyne Jones, with instructions to fight for the ball in midfield and run at the opposing defenders from deep positions, a feature of his game which has not been well utilised, either here in T&T or in the Premier League in England.

Maybe we should view the next few matches as wanting to win through improved performance and not a desperate dilemma where kicking and rushing become the order of the day. Its difficult to define self expression to players in whom anxiety and nervousness tend to live and who are are often afraid to do some of the things which they have mastered better than their opponents.

It was refreshing to see Hayden Tinto, who was brought on as a substitute, immediately dance around the Honduran Esquire and discomfort Chavez within minutes of the commencement of the second half. The players owe their full-fledged commitment to us, the supporters of this great nation, and playing good football is as much of an option as getting the three points. Good luck.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 06:27:17 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors must show character now
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 07:15:41 AM »
"who could get some source of assistance from the versatile Kenwyne Jones, with instructions to fight for the ball in midfield and run at the opposing defenders from deep positions, a feature of his game which has not been well utilised, either here in T&T or in the Premier League in England."

for 6 yrs ah begging for this....ppl say he wasn't ready then, maybe they ready now

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 07:24:30 AM »
The people of TnT have to stand up and show character by not going to this game or any other game hosted by the TTFF for that matter. That is character.

A coup is needed here. Don't misunderstand me, I am not talking about one of violence but an organised protest outside the stadium or inside the stadium for those of you who can't help yourselves because you feel that you must support the TTFF, let me tell you that your money may not go to the players or to the development of a program, right now Joe Public need some money to develop their program whatever that shit maybe, it is time to show your disgust.

Viva.............
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 07:32:04 AM by King Deese »
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:36:31 AM »
time for the warrior spirit to take center stage. good luck today fellas.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 07:41:03 AM »
The people of TnT have to stand up and show character by not going to this game or any other game hosted by the TTFF for that matter. That is character.

A coup is needed here. Don't misunderstand me, I am not talking about one of violence but an organised protest outside the stadium or inside the stadium for those of you who can't help yourselves because you feel that you must support the TTFF, let me tell you that your money may not go to the players or to the development of a program, right now Joe Public need some money to develop their program whatever that shit maybe, it is time to show your disgust.

Viva.............

corrected

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 08:09:39 AM »

Viva.............

If by not goin it would change something I would stay home because is curtain season sure I could use d money elsewhere. But since dat eh changin 1 ting goin and support d boys
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 08:50:43 AM »

Viva.............

corrected

COSIGN

Right now is not the time to start protesting but rather to support the boys. They need us now more than ever.

Together we aspire
Together we achieve
We are all in this together
Yes, I still believe
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 10:49:08 AM »
Not a bad write up, but I waiting for Alvin comment on T&T under 17 team in Mexico, when we go get that boy ?
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 10:56:41 AM »
Not a bad write up, but I waiting for Alvin comment on T&T under 17 team in Mexico, when we go get that boy ?
     Sam,where is Lasana?i have not heard a comment from him a while now,he lost his job or what. 

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 11:42:19 AM »
     Sam,where is Lasana?i have not heard a comment from him a while now,he lost his job or what. 

Hope he turns up at another outlet soon. (maybe he's undercover for A. Jennings)
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=44675.0

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 12:05:34 PM »

Doh hold yuh breath and I if u do as a foundation member pls include d sw.net and warrior nation in your will
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 12:12:48 PM »
alvin knows his football, apply it all national teams next time including the teams your son has coached.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Alvin Corneal Articles
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 04:40:24 AM »
Egypt huge stepping stone
By Alvin Corneal (T&T Guardian)

It was not the beauty of the ancient land of the Pharaohs, neither was it the bobbing and weaving of the world’s most adventurous motorists. It was more like the passion and resilience of the millions of Egyptians who invited the football world to experience the value of support, the ability to give and take a beating, and most importantly, to add some level of respect on and off the field by a people who understand what major confrontation can be, if not tempered by strong character and discipline in public places. To the young Soca warriors, the experience may have been very foreign to them, but the environment allowed for them to be part of an Egyptian society, which reflects rituals and behavioral patterns that are unfamiliar to what they are accustomed.

This may well have brought out the enthusiasm and commitment which we have been able to recognise from the players, rapidly turning them into true professional competitors, comparable to many of their opponents. To many, the absence of a victory in three matches may not be counted as more than moderate participation in a high quality football scenario where only the winners retain their place in the limelight. It is wise to define these performances as part of a successful journey towards the aims and objectives of a developing country where every positive image be seen as examples of an attempt to serve as a catalyst for those who wish to follow in the same path. The larger countries, whose main objectives are dictated by winning a trophy or medal, features which add to their already established moments of success, have been under pressure from the lesser recognized countries, T&T being one of them. Some may think that the draw for this tournament may have been kind to the Warriors, despite the fact that the host country Egypt was the first obstacle.

This guided the preparation of the squad with tours to England, Turkey and Cyprus. It was good thinking by the technical staff and TTFF advisor Jack Warner to choose these venues, simply because climate and field conditions bore similarity to the venues in Egypt. The six-hour time change which would have affected their eating, and sleeping habits, was dealt with by the decision to be in the same time zone for the better part of one month before the start of the tournament. Those who followed the friendlies which they played, may have reflected the quality of their preparation and although they were not all winners, the reports from the analysts who saw them, were satisfied that T&T was not out of their depth in this competition. The Egyptians created an atmosphere which consisted a new brand stadium, the likes of which, when filled to capacity and the presence of their president, will be the absolute recipe for them to drive a nervous opponent to a wall and start on a winning note. They had achieved their goal, but not without an assertive and strongly charactered effort from the soca warriors, who responded to a goal deficit, equalised and brought a deafening silence to the Egyptians present.

The inexperienced complacency emanating from the half time break, saw the host get two soft goals, before they faced a relentious and organised T&T which was orchestrated by the entry of Jamal Clarence and the former Mucurapo midfielder Molino. The styles of these youngsters brought about a more concerted cohesion in midfield and saw some glaring chances reach almost to the ultimate target of getting some goals. The appearance and performance of Jake Thomson, born of a Trini dad, set tongues afire, as he cruised up the right side with the professional efficiency of a teenaged Cafu. The kid can play and his services from the flank offered some challenging opportunities some of which may have been better dealt with by well directed headers. Count Glenroy Samuel as the man of the first match, because he worked diligently to keep the scorecard to a bare minimum with some outstanding saves in the first half and throughout the match. Italy never expected the twin Island state to make them fight for points, knowing the reputation of the current world cup champions.

Apart from two moments of dormancy, the Vranes Zoran coached squad took the opposition apart and had it not been for an indecisive referee’s judgment and two simple misses in the last part of this game, Italy may well have been having to fight for points in order to enter the second round. Paraguay had defeated the Warriors four to nothing some seven weeks ago in Venezuela, and to them, victory over T&T was inevitable. After 90 hard fought minutes, the South Americans failed to even appear to be superior, except when some of their artistic midfielders produce some brilliance and made some penetrative passes. Young Gonzales ensured that he was in full control while Kareem Hyland, Leston Paul and Cyrus showed their worth and forced the opposition to be dispossessed more often than not. Historically, the drawn result was special to our youth football, even more than the dogged, if not totally attractive play.

Some claim it was not a classic display. Correct! But who would wish to match a South American team with any effort to produce midfield chemistry through precise short passing. This game needed the long passes from defence to the two strikers, in order to eliminate the effectiveness of the midfield stars of Paraguay. It worked and simply because this unusual type of game forced Paraguay to adjust their inimitable style and find another pattern. It failed and the result did not send T&t to the next round, but it brought a great degree of satisfaction to a nation which need various types of achievements from the youth of our nation. Be proud of the team and the country. We are becoming more and more respected by the soccer world. Well done, T&T.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 06:26:53 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt huge stepping stone
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 05:35:20 AM »
Well Said!
TnT Patriot

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 05:47:44 AM »
I eh read the article as yet, but the first thought that came into my mind when I saw the title of the thread is that Germany was supposed to be a stepping stone as well.... ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 06:07:34 AM »
Well said Brown Sugar- The hype was that Germany was the stepping stone. So let us wait and see at least we are seeing some youth incorporated in this squad for the rest of the W/C campaign. A point some folks are missing is If we play well in the remaining two matches, Friendlies will be available from Teams already Qualified for the W/C in their preparations for S/A.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 06:18:22 AM »
From the time I saw who was the writer, I wouldn't even waste my time reading it.

STEUPS !!!!!!!!!!
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 06:43:27 AM »
This game needed the long passes from defence to the two strikers, in order to eliminate the effectiveness of the midfield stars of Paraguay.

As figured, is the technical staff does have them players playing so!! And Corneal here validating that bullshit. Possession, possession, possession, possession!!!!! Ah setta 50/50 passes from defence to forwards could never work in today's game against good opposition. Especially not when we doh have accurate passers. Wha' wrong with these people boy!!??
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:55:40 AM by Tallman »
Two islands are better than one.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 07:32:57 AM »
From the time I saw who was the writer, I wouldn't even waste my time reading it.

STEUPS !!!!!!!!!!

COSIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN I JUST STEUPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Mexico was not a steppin stone.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 07:34:02 AM »
I eh read the article as yet, but the first thought that came into my mind when I saw the title of the thread is that Germany was supposed to be a stepping stone as well.... ::)

COSIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN and we c how well dat went.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 08:55:37 AM »
This game needed the long passes from defence to the two strikers, in order to eliminate the effectiveness of the midfield stars of Paraguay. It worked and simply because this unusual type of game forced Paraguay to adjust their inimitable style and find another pattern. It failed and the result did not send T&t to the next round

Not sure if I agree with Alvin on this. Again it begs the question what is the objective of youth football and how by playing in such a manner did it benefit these young players. Anyone who watched the game will debate that the only achievement attained from this tactic was to keep the ball far away from T&T's goal. One can even debate that if we continue to play in this manner, once we recognize that our opponents are superior, we as footballers and teams will never improve. Ok we may get a point, but more than likely we will not gain a result especially at the senior international level.
Playing devil's advocate I will throw out that if Anon was not part of the staff and most of these players coming from his previous U17, we would have seen a different analysis from Alvin. After all Alvin was the one who was very critical of several coaches in the past including Beenie upon arrival.
As a football lover I would have much rather seen the players play as they did against Italy. Ball on the ground and trying to play, with individual confidence.

Alvin is right about one thing, we are proud of these players
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 10:44:38 AM »
This game needed the long passes from defence to the two strikers, in order to eliminate the effectiveness of the midfield stars of Paraguay.

As figured, is the technical staff does have them players playing so!! And Corneal here validating that bullshit. Possession, possession, possession, possession!!!!! Ah setta 50/50 passes from defence to forwards could never work in today's game against good opposition. Especially not when we doh have accurate passers. Wha' wrong with these people boy!!??

Alvin thinking at all?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 10:59:06 AM »

Alvin thinking at all?

Has he ever?

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 11:49:25 AM »

Shocking from Corneal.
The only thing this team did that was different was fight hard and hold up a bit more because of fitness, technically they were as bad as we normally are.
I reading between the lines but obviously Corneal had some input through his son and this article is validation of that.
As I said shocking !!!
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 12:37:44 PM »
Interesting that he write article after virtually every performance.....certainly after every national team competition seemingly regardless of age group.

EXCEPT

He still to produce a article bout de U17 team "performance" in Mexico earlier this year.

How come Alvin?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 12:49:39 PM »
Interesting that he write article after virtually every performance.....certainly after every national team competition seemingly regardless of age group.

EXCEPT

He still to produce a article bout de U17 team "performance" in Mexico earlier this year.

How come Alvin?

Tings dat make yuh go  ???

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 01:03:55 PM »
It takes alot more than a desire to play the beautiful game to actually play the beautiful game...The movement, the chemistry, the communication, the imagination, the positional discipline, the focus, the technical ability, the fitness, the patience to get it wrong over and over and over again...etc....that's not stuff that just comes by wanting it, or wanting to coach it...That takes a long time (and often very special players) to develop.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 02:09:23 PM »
More like a froggy pad.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is played from de neck up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 02:49:31 PM »
Ah Huge Pyramidlike Steppin Stone Jess geh drop on Egypt head. :shameonyou:
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace.

Offline nunu

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 08:06:16 AM »
Jamaica(2001 Argentina) once played to a 0-0 Tie with 3rd place finishers Egypt  with 1 point -5 GD ,.
TnT played to a 0-0 Tie (with Paraguay) 1 point -4 GD. Jamaica Mathematically have done
better , by virtue of tying with a third place finisher . :applause: 
we even won the best GK award for the Tournament and Argentina which gave us 5 nil in the
grouping stage , hammered paraguay 5 nil in the final . :P
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:28:15 AM by CaribMan »

1]; } ?>