March 28, 2024, 05:12:59 AM

Author Topic: Alvin Corneal Articles  (Read 49850 times)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: I anxiously await Mr Corneal's latest article
« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2015, 11:02:27 AM »
Well that is Trini for yuh- Only when we winning that we supporting . Are you guys surprised.
 Since the Strike squad days the stadium half full until we nearly CROSS THE JORDAN AND ALL THE PHILISTINES FULL UP THE STADIUM AND THE DIE HARDS CANT GET IN ON MATCH DAY.
I was one who couldn't get in even though I had a ticket and went to every qualifying home game with my father. I cry when we couldn't get in and cry even more after the game :'(

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2015, 01:13:34 PM »
I want to hear what Gally have tuh say. . .these days we ain't hearing much from him either way

Lord, I could see allyuh drunk with happiness. Allyuh jump on Corneal. Now Gally. Then it go be Vidale. Then it go be Butcher. A good few waggonist come back on the forum. Welcome back Breds and Sisterens. Where have you been?

Deeks, u notice that to. And after de gold cup, they gone again

:rotfl:

wouldn't call cocorite and them waggonists by any means... i think we had certain posters that kept a lot of people off the board and now that they are gone, it is returning to the good old days.. ;) the gold cup performance just adds to it..
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:15:50 PM by Controversial »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2015, 01:17:47 PM »
I want to hear what Gally have tuh say. . .these days we ain't hearing much from him either way

Lord, I could see allyuh drunk with happiness. Allyuh jump on Corneal. Now Gally. Then it go be Vidale. Then it go be Butcher. A good few waggonist come back on the forum. Welcome back Breds and Sisterens. Where have you been?

vidale and butcher does talk too much rubbish, so why not call their name... them men does be eating kfc while they commentating... like they come on the mic with a hungry belly and vex talk...

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2015, 05:49:12 PM »
yup.. it shall bray now.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2015, 07:36:17 PM »
He'll be itchin' but unable to say: "I want to see meh son as coach again"
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2015, 08:06:11 PM »
He get the cod liver laxative he wanted now wait for the latrine hole to fill and spew forth.

The other one is the Mouth of  Sanche (aka MoS)- look and listen for promises look and listen for ways to block any funding and then like some Greek tragedy - come riding in at the last minute to play like he saving the team or the world - can't blame tne fella he join aarty that did the same for the 2006 Warriors they come outta the blues and hand out money promised to them money that the government get from all the publicity of that teams success- now he go use the same mo to come looking like a knight in shining armour and want to blame the TTFA fuh a
L tho FS wrong- lawd from the mouths of those who are shortsighted we wait with bated breath
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 08:16:02 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2015, 08:09:45 PM »
Should be coming any minute or hour now..

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Is it fair to stop playing for your country?
« Reply #157 on: December 20, 2015, 04:24:50 AM »
Is it fair to stop playing for your country?
By Alvin Corneal (Guardian).

The answer to that question is Yes. It is fair to stop playing if you get injured, or too old to compete or if you wish to change your profession. But the reason for refusing to play for the national team should be carefully studied before making the decision.

Please understand that there is no historical past which today’s players can review in search of a solution. The question of playing for a living is vital, especially when players have their families to enjoy the benefit of their spouses’ hard work.

The better they play, the greater the fans will respect and support them and the team, and the possibility of obtaining increases in their salaries will also be supported.

However, let us not pretend that the arrangements made by the administration have not been done in a manner which resembles the work of a well-organized business.

The truth is also based upon a picture which has been adversely affected by the predecessors, leaving the administration to correct the wrong of the last decade, but has to accept the demand for competence without the financial tools available.

I was very impressed when our Captain Kenwyne Jones commented that he is not even concerned about the current “cut in pay” which he may be facing in the near future. He says that his focus is getting the Club into the Premier Division, after which the financial issues can be addressed.

I wish to draw an analogy regarding players of Chelsea whose pay packages are ready week after week, and yet still they are failing to produce the quality of play which is needed for victory and which today we are all well aware have cost the coach his job.

These world class players are struggling with maybe attitudinal problems among themselves and maybe their coaching staff, to the point that many rumours are in the air for some to leave the club.

However, they have continued to play, but way below the quality which brought them into millionaire status, hence the reason why a champion club seem shaken, not by money, but apparently something which is clearly affecting their natural talents.

These two situations leave us all with the difficulties in multi-tasking, especially when physical and mental focus are all under tremendous strain.

That is the reason why I am suggesting to the national team players to continue to give service to your club. Country and your profession, leaving the issues which are all legal, to be handled by their agents, or attorneys, all of whom are professionals in their own right.

Playing sport is a behaviour which in many instances, should not be compromised, regardless of the problems which appear in the midst of the performances of the player.

If anything, the strength of one’s character is a major factor in the life of a sportsman. Those who follow all types of sport on the TV will admit to some silly behaviour displayed by some of the outstanding players of our time, yet still they rant and rave over minor issues with an opponent, or an official.

So to increase the bad relationship between players and administrators off the Football field makes both parties losers, especially when they both know that the matter will be solved, even if it has to reach the court.

Our footballers should have learnt the lessons from our recent West Indian cricketers who walked away from performing their highly gifted talent because of a faulty piece of contract and a response by persons who seem not to understand how to deal with labour issues.

The result was a financial loss of 41 million dollars which the WICB has to pay. Just think of the January 8th 2016 one hour after the Warriors complete their match against Haiti in Panama, and look carefully to recognize how significant the result could have impacted the teams and in how many ways.

Two weeks from now, when the monies are paid (hopefully), how difficult will it be to renew the relationships among the stakeholders and then to the performance levels on the field, will all be divulged positively or negatively dependent upon the maturity of all concerned.

We all want you to be paid and certainly do not want you or the country to suffer because of the absence of dialogue among the participants. The game is bigger than the player. Which one do you want to be?

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Is it fair to stop playing for your country?
« Reply #158 on: December 20, 2015, 01:30:10 PM »
is it fair to not pay the players and make false promises??

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2015, 05:16:22 PM »
Doh act like is NOw de players puttin up with bullshit from the TTFA or whatever they choose to call they self now.

And is disingenuous to play the "patriotism" card when YOU KNOW nuff times players and staff had to make extraordinary sacrifices for the team including KJ having to pay for a hotel stay with his own credit card as the hotel refuse to release dey luggage unless the bill was paid.

All due respect bro, but this post from you is suprising at best.  Especially surprising because you know better.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 20, 2015, 11:06:12 PM »
I wouldn't dignify this with a response. Loud Stupes  ::)
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 21, 2015, 07:46:18 AM »
Ha Ha Ha.... almost read this article  ;D ;D ;D

Something just made me check the writer. As I can see from the responses above I am glad that I did catch on quickly.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 21, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »
Corneal should be writing a history of the deceit and incompetence that is the TTFA (formerly TTFF) before writing this drivel. How long must players put up with this crap? Personally, I would hate to see us not make the Copa, as it could be a stepping stone to great things - financial stability, and exposure for our talented young players, but at some time players have to take a stand.  This ineptness has been going on for decades now. I do believe that the new administration could have been a little more diplomatic.  Call a meeting - Skype, phone, or whatever, of the team and have a heart to heart talk. Be trans[parent about the financial situation by showing numbers, not giving anecdotes. Give a deadline for a final resolution. Hold a discussion with the team leadership.  Negotiate in secret, not in the press. John David-Williams needs to show leadership NOW. That is what he was elected for.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 03:52:01 PM by Storeboy »
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Three losses! Now the lessons
« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2016, 09:56:23 AM »
Three losses! Now the lessons
By Alvin Corneal (T&T Guardian)

The question of winning matches in the three-game tour did not appear in my mind to scrutinize the final review from this journey to three countries.

Seeing that all our players are now very versed with the business of travelling from one country to another, the comments about discomfort, getting acclimatized and a reduced bunch of our quality players, should now be placed into perspective and be analyzed as far as performances were concerned.

We have all seen the way the Peruvians offer a lesson on team communication, simply because their focus has been deeply on possession, support for fellow players, and discipline within their system of play which is attached to organized football.

Uruguay also added the level of speed to that of Peru and their results were based on the fact that winning the ball back was their main target. This was met with some resistance from the Warriors, whose request to tighten up in midfield and invite aggression from the middle to the final third of the opponents half of the field.

China was different. Ranked lower than Peru, Uruguay and T&T, the Chinese did not demonstrate any outstanding display of skill and aggression, but they produced the type of game which saw them starting their build up from their penalty area, sliding passes laterally in order to open up the space that TT had to cover.

We ball watched, we accepted the fact that taking possession from the exquisite short passing game, that split delicate passes through our lost midfield. The Chinese used the flanks regularly, but their fore play was always in midfield. Penetrative passes to the flank allowed them free space to search for their attackers in the TT penalty area.

This approach created some free headers and our central defenders were not prepared to either use a man to man defensive approach, or mark the space in which the services were likely to arrive.

It was disaster from the early period of the game, right through to the end. Admittedly, the bits of selfish traits by some players in the previous matches, improved immensely and sometimes brought some competence in getting towards the Chinese defence line. As a matter of fact, some fine passing from Daneil Cyrus to smart running Hughtun Hector, penetrated the opponents back four and allowed Willis Plaza to demonstrate his talent, which should have earned him a place in the starting lineup.

China scored almost as often as they wished, simply because they recognized that the talent of our defenders was individualistic, but not compatible when it came to understanding each other, especially in making decisions in and around the Warriors penalty area.

It would be unfair to say that the defenders did not play well in certain areas of the game, but it would be very fair to observe that this has been the major problem in our defensive department and one which needs maximum attention.

As to the plan of dealing with set plays on the flanks from orthodox crossed balls, the decision to mark space  as oppose to marking players has not worked despite the fact that we have three excellent aerial players in Abu Bakr, Aubrey David and Yohance Marshall. Just look at the crosses which created some easy headed goals, simply because the Chinese player were aware of where they will run even before the ball is passed. Obviously, the set play of China and in the previous games as well, dealt us some severe blows through some soft goals.

So the experiences of the three match series may have opened our eyes to what is needed on the training field, a factor which our coaching staff must recognize if they wish to make corrections.

Finally, I have watched carefully at the Americans, one time against Bolivia where they were in complete control of the game through, speed, aggression and desire to win.

Their opening game against Colombia was filled with classroom lessons for the Yanks. Clinical accuracy in passing and the dedicated plan to support the recipient of the ball at all times, seriously in search of creating passing lanes and their analysis of the American players made the Colombians appear as though they could be hard to beat.

Admittedly, José Pékerman is one of the best football brains in the world. His contribution to Argentine Football since the 1994 youth tournaments, was mainly responsible for the brilliance of Messi and company.

Since his mistake in the World Cup of 2006 when Argentina was superb in their approach to winning the tournament, Jose changed Juan Riquelme, the game’s super star at the time, when they were in the lead against Germany and his replacement of Esteban Cambiasso, left vacant space for the Germans who equalized and won on penalties.

He immediately resigned and left the coaching for two years until Colombia literally begged him to give them his service. The results and performance levels were obvious and excellent young players are showing up in Columbia.

My reason for the explanation of this match is to alert our national team that preparation is needed for the present USA squad. They are the stumbling block for our trip to Russia, so we must take a clinical view of their present style.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:03:23 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Three losses! Now the lessons
« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2016, 11:09:56 AM »
why does this old geeza has a column in the sport pages when he obviously has not a clue? and why did he mention pekerman resigning in the ending of his article? this man here is a bag of confusion, him and all the other trinidad football gurus they all hate the coach and wants his place. this is why trinidad football is in the condition it's in, to many self serving people involved.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2016, 12:42:14 PM »
Cornmeal is a clown or what?

He so absent minded he didn't realize our first team didn't play... These were testing fete matches to see who could get off the fringes..

Nothing more, nothing less.. If the first team had played it would have been different results and he would have the right to comment..

He should talk to his partner David and tell him to organize some matches that mean something for the prep of the first team..

Some real dunce in TT these days boy..

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 05, 2016, 02:01:40 PM »
The only comment I will make about Alvin's article, is that we have to prepare for Guatemala first. After Guatemala, then we bother about the US.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2016, 02:19:25 PM »
Speaking bout the US game.. was a location announced?

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2016, 03:26:47 PM »
Speaking bout the US game.. was a location announced?

Jacksonville
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2016, 05:07:42 PM »
well the Perkeman retirement story is a good one..they had to go to some mountain to find him...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2016, 05:15:43 PM »
He did  mention- reduced bunch of our quality players. Let us not shoot the messenger, He does know something about Coaching,
 I tend to agree about the space / man marking problem.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2016, 05:28:42 PM »
What is the purpose of this article? He saying anything that has not already been said? The NT is not just focusing on USA, they're focusing on both games, first Guat then USA...I get the impression this man trying to tell Hart how to do his job...what to focus on in training etc...come on...Hart was there and absolutely blasted the poor performance, even stating he said what he needed to see. The exercise served it purpose!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2016, 06:06:58 PM »
Perhaps we should get to the root of why this tour happened because as it seems to me, there wasn't any collaboration between the TTFA and SH in its planning. Having observed SH for the past few years he has been pretty pragmatic in his building and development of the national team. Given what he has to work with his model has always been to build from the core and to have what clearly wasn't even a B team seems to go against his approach. No coach likes losing but most can accept losing with dignity as the product on the field is a representation of the coach.
So my questions are, and will continue to be, were some of the players on this team foisted on SH? He had to be have been watching them during their Pro-League games. Is the quality of the Pro-league that poor that only these players stand out. Is there a possibility that coaches/managers/owners are pushing for certain players to get National team caps with the hope  that these players can be now sold? This latter question while seemingly implausible if it were based on the performances of these last three games brings me back to when this tour was planned. Knowing the unavailability of the core was SH comfortable with "his selection"? or maybe it was simply a fundraiser for the TTFA?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2016, 08:05:40 PM »

Jacksonville

Much thx.

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2016, 10:25:36 PM »
Perhaps we should get to the root of why this tour happened because as it seems to me, there wasn't any collaboration between the TTFA and SH in its planning. Having observed SH for the past few years he has been pretty pragmatic in his building and development of the national team. Given what he has to work with his model has always been to build from the core and to have what clearly wasn't even a B team seems to go against his approach. No coach likes losing but most can accept losing with dignity as the product on the field is a representation of the coach.
So my questions are, and will continue to be, were some of the players on this team foisted on SH? He had to be have been watching them during their Pro-League games. Is the quality of the Pro-league that poor that only these players stand out. Is there a possibility that coaches/managers/owners are pushing for certain players to get National team caps with the hope  that these players can be now sold? This latter question while seemingly implausible if it were based on the performances of these last three games brings me back to when this tour was planned. Knowing the unavailability of the core was SH comfortable with "his selection"? or maybe it was simply a fundraiser for the TTFA?

Solely a fundraiser that sank our FIFA ranking.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2016, 09:21:24 AM »
This was an opportunity to widen the pool- to expand the bench and to look at players who seemed to have performed at the local level whether they can step up.
 I guess the opposition was too much for this bunch of players- El Salvador- Cuba- Puerto Rico would have been a better yardstick. You cant run donkeys in a horse race.
 Secondly it was a fund raiser for the TTFA.
 Thirdly it answers the Question about preparation for the W/C and makes the President look good- So we cant be asking what is he doing for the NT.
 Finally, we  are assuming that Mr Hart attends most of the Local Games? I know for a fact because my friend Mr Cummings related to me one Sunday , that the problem with local coaches is that they  have their favorite players that they want to see on the National team. Now it is worse because playing on the NT is a passport for being scouted for bigger leagues and not to mention transfer fees.
 I hope it was a learning curve for players and coaches.
 My concern is for Hart's  job , In this business success is what counts. We have a history of firing local coaches and bring a big name coach when we reach the HEX, Captain Burrell once said when Jamaica reached the World Cup , that Caribbean islands need a foreign Coach to take them  to the World Cup.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2016, 10:48:09 AM »

Solely a fundraiser that sank our FIFA ranking.

Actually, considering the way the rankings work, this is not a given. I haven't done the calculations, so, do you know for a fact that our rankings have been sunk by these losses?
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 06, 2016, 11:38:37 AM »
"and a reduced bunch of our quality players" after clearly identifying the problems it would of been nice to see some mention of the valiant effort by the coaching staff with the limited talent they had to work with.

Article is more like nitpicking on Harty.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 06, 2016, 12:00:47 PM »
why does this old geeza has a column in the sport pages when he obviously has not a clue?

I hold no brief for Alvin Corneal, but he has forgotten more about football than most here would ever know COMBINED.

He may have his agenda and it runs counter productive to the overall good of T&T football IMO.....but yuh cyah question his knowledge of the game.  Question his tactics/strategy?  Sure.  His coaching results?  Definitely.  But at the end of the day, he knows his football.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 06, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »
I learned my lesson my lesson a long time ago.....Do Not Read Articles Written by Alvin Corneal....

But it was fun reading the responses  ;D ;D ;D

1]; } ?>