March 28, 2024, 10:59:33 AM

Author Topic: Alvin Corneal Articles  (Read 49856 times)

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Three losses! Now the lessons
« Reply #180 on: June 06, 2016, 03:15:41 PM »
Perhaps we should get to the root of why this tour happened because as it seems to me, there wasn't any collaboration between the TTFA and SH in its planning. Having observed SH for the past few years he has been pretty pragmatic in his building and development of the national team. Given what he has to work with his model has always been to build from the core and to have what clearly wasn't even a B team seems to go against his approach. No coach likes losing but most can accept losing with dignity as the product on the field is a representation of the coach.
So my questions are, and will continue to be, were some of the players on this team foisted on SH? He had to be have been watching them during their Pro-League games. Is the quality of the Pro-league that poor that only these players stand out. Is there a possibility that coaches/managers/owners are pushing for certain players to get National team caps with the hope  that these players can be now sold? This latter question while seemingly implausible if it were based on the performances of these last three games brings me back to when this tour was planned. Knowing the unavailability of the core was SH comfortable with "his selection"? or maybe it was simply a fundraiser for the TTFA?

Solely a fundraiser that sank our FIFA ranking.

Actually, considering the way the rankings work, this is not a given. I haven't done the calculations, so, do you know for a fact that our rankings have been sunk by these losses?

Formula is simple: P = M x I x T x C
M=3,1,0 for win, draw or loss. Naught times anything is naught. Then take them 3 naughts and add to our 12 month average. The ranking must go down.

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/procedure/men.html

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 06, 2016, 03:24:24 PM »
Perhaps we should get to the root of why this tour happened because as it seems to me, there wasn't any collaboration between the TTFA and SH in its planning. Having observed SH for the past few years he has been pretty pragmatic in his building and development of the national team. Given what he has to work with his model has always been to build from the core and to have what clearly wasn't even a B team seems to go against his approach. No coach likes losing but most can accept losing with dignity as the product on the field is a representation of the coach.
So my questions are, and will continue to be, were some of the players on this team foisted on SH? He had to be have been watching them during their Pro-League games. Is the quality of the Pro-league that poor that only these players stand out. Is there a possibility that coaches/managers/owners are pushing for certain players to get National team caps with the hope  that these players can be now sold? This latter question while seemingly implausible if it were based on the performances of these last three games brings me back to when this tour was planned. Knowing the unavailability of the core was SH comfortable with "his selection"? or maybe it was simply a fundraiser for the TTFA?

Actually, considering the way the rankings work, this is not a given. I haven't done the calculations, so, do you know for a fact that our rankings have been sunk by these losses?

M=3,1,0 for win, draw or loss. Naught times anything is naught. Then take them 3 naughts and add to our 12 month average. The ranking must go down.

While I will admit it is likely, it is not a given. It also depends on what happens with the teams around us and what points have dropped off of our 12 month average if any at all. There have been instances in the past where we've had good results only to see our rankings go down and I'm pretty sure I've also seen instances in the past where teams have lost and their rankings have gone up.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 06, 2016, 03:33:04 PM »

While I will admit it is likely, it is not a given. It also depends on what happens with the teams around us and what points have dropped off of our 12 month average if any at all. There have been instances in the past where we've had good results only to see our rankings go down and I'm pretty sure I've also seen instances in the past where teams have lost and their rankings have gone up.

Agreed! likely but not given, corresponding fixture results will have impact. My conviction is based on the fact that the teams around us are playing African Cup of Nations, Euro2016 and Copa America which have a higher(2.5 or 3.0) match importance factor than the 1.0 for friendlies which we lost.  All that is important now is victories at Quatamela and USA, if that happens who cares about the fundraising tough we desperately need said funds

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 06, 2016, 03:50:56 PM »

Agreed! likely but not given, corresponding fixture results will have impact. My conviction is based on the fact that the teams around us are playing African Cup of Nations, Euro2016 and Copa America which have a higher(2.5 or 3.0) match importance factor than the 1.0 for friendlies which we lost.  All that is important now is victories at Quatamela and USA, if that happens who cares about the fundraising tough we desperately need said funds
:beermug:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 06, 2016, 08:01:11 PM »
Its not a good sign when people in your own camp start to lose faith in you Cormel Glen was wright outside of the caribbean SH is just a average coach.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 06, 2016, 08:10:31 PM »
Its not a good sign when people in your own camp start to lose faith in you Cormel Glen was wright outside of the caribbean SH is just a average coach.
best average coach we have

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 06, 2016, 11:14:25 PM »
The last time China played in Trinidad it was back in 1981...it was difficult to beat the Chinese because all the Chinese players looked the same.
When they came out in the second half it was suspected that they had a fresh eleven on the field..
The Chinese players couldn't be beaten on the dribble either...whenever a Chinese player was beaten he always reappeared in front the player...this actually brought on anxiety for the Trinidad players because it was as though the Chinese had the ability to magically reappear even when left behind a split second before.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2016, 04:35:53 AM »
When Corneal coach T&T, like they accomplish something?

Steups.

SH, keep doing yuh stuff pardna.

Bull them hard.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2016, 05:10:57 AM »

ffisback, why you using Corneal Glenn to make your point. Stand up and say you think outside the Caribbean SH is an average coach.

If he is average then he is better than we deserve because we have a well below average TTFA, well below average Ministry of Sports and a well below average SPORTT.

In my opinion not dependent on anybody else, SH is the best coach for TnT at this point in time. For those who say he is average please provide the standard for this assessment. Is it based on wins, losses, playing style, success in Gold Cup, success in WC Qualifying, etc please provide the yardstick.

We can't agree or disagree because Mr. Glen say so, tell us the standard for evaluation for average then we could talk.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2016, 05:44:14 AM »
Chile is a good case in point. The Coach left them and it was four losses and yesterday they lost to Argentina. I guess the Jury is out about SH after Canada fired him with the loss to Honduras in a W/C qualifier. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. With the salary scale that is being offered , I guess we are lucky to have SH. Another plus for us is that he knows the region and style of play in CONCACAF.
 The players will play for him and he has improved the style of play and we look like we can compete with the big boys in CONCACAF.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 07, 2016, 07:09:05 AM »
The last time China played in Trinidad it was back in 1981...it was difficult to beat the Chinese because all the Chinese players looked the same.
When they came out in the second half it was suspected that they had a fresh eleven on the field..
The Chinese players couldn't be beaten on the dribble either...whenever a Chinese player was beaten he always reappeared in front the player...this actually brought on anxiety for the Trinidad players because it was as though the Chinese had the ability to magically reappear even when left behind a split second before.

This give meh ah good laugh to start de day.  :rotfl:
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 07, 2016, 09:51:46 AM »
Chile is a good case in point. The Coach left them and it was four losses and yesterday they lost to Argentina. I guess the Jury is out about SH after Canada fired him with the loss to Honduras in a W/C qualifier. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. With the salary scale that is being offered , I guess we are lucky to have SH. Another plus for us is that he knows the region and style of play in CONCACAF.
 The players will play for him and he has improved the style of play and we look like we can compete with the big boys in CONCACAF.

Chile has a population of 18 million, we have 1.5 million. Chile keeper is Claudio Bravo(BARCELONA), Chile Defenders Gary Medel(Inter), Enzo Roco(Espanyol), Mauricio Isla( Marseille), Chile midfielders Arturo Vidal(Bayern Munich), Pablo Hernandez(Celta), Erick Pulgar(Bologna), Charles Aranguiz(Bayer Leverkusen), Marcelo Diaz (Celta); Chile forwards are Fabian Orellana(Celta), Eduardo Vargas(Hoffenheim), Mauricio Panilla(Atalanta), and Alexis Sanchez(Arsenal). 

Chile current ranking is 5th while TnT is 64th; looking at the team make up and ours, looking at our ranking and theirs why the reference/comparison to Chile?

All Hart Haters love to reference the 8-1 loss when the now head of CONCACAF, accepted his resignation but what was his record as manager of Canada. September 2006-June 2007 In 10 games 5 W 1 D 4L. From May 2009 - October 2012 in 35 games 15 W 9 D 11 L.  Is this an average record? Also, in the 9 months after Hart they had 3(Three) Interim Managers. Since July 2013 they have hired Spaniard  Benito Floro. Has Canada become a global power since Hart? Has Hart stabilized our football and are we ranked higher than Canada. We are 64, Canada is 93 plus we are down from 50 and to 64 and still above Canada. Hart Haters stop bringing up one loss look a the whole picture.

Hart is the best coach for us at this point in time, people look in the mirror and know who we are. Hart has multiple youth programs that he would love to implement but cant because our Pro League, Schools League, Youth football and sport administration is 20 years behind where we need to be to get where he can get us.

What Hart Haters are missing is that we do not have first world football infrastructure but we have a coach with First world ideas, plans, strategy and implementation.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 07, 2016, 12:04:40 PM »

ffisback, why you using Corneal Glenn to make your point. Stand up and say you think outside the Caribbean SH is an average coach.

If he is average then he is better than we deserve because we have a well below average TTFA, well below average Ministry of Sports and a well below average SPORTT.

In my opinion not dependent on anybody else, SH is the best coach for TnT at this point in time. For those who say he is average please provide the standard for this assessment. Is it based on wins, losses, playing style, success in Gold Cup, success in WC Qualifying, etc please provide the yardstick.

We can't agree or disagree because Mr. Glen say so, tell us the standard for evaluation for average then we could talk.
you have time. this man in a wanker, so why bother with his silly comments?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 07, 2016, 12:06:57 PM »

This give meh ah good laugh to start de day.  :rotfl:

tallman dat shit ever happen? hear dis story nuff times in meh youth
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 07, 2016, 12:24:40 PM »
I think in local football cycles there are people of the view that, as it stands now, the Pro league should have more players on the first team, even though the evidence suggest otherwise, and they are selfishly and shamelessly prepared to hang that on coach Hart......I ask this though of the naysayers what about d football education or lack thereof d players receiving from there club coaches, whose own football education quite obviously leaves much to be desired.

imagine man does be strollin and trottin in d pro leagues, what is d league doing about upping the pace and by extension fitness levels in d pro league....they get d odd stand out like cummings and de silva because they break a very poor mold and offer someting to work with dais why.
I pity the fool....

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 07, 2016, 12:41:04 PM »
Yuh does only miss de water when de well run dry

Dem vulture tryin to suck out all moisture from dis particular well.  Is a wonder it still functioning...and in pole position to boot.

A setta forkane daywalkers all a dem
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 07, 2016, 12:50:47 PM »

Chile has a population of 18 million, we have 1.5 million. Chile keeper is Claudio Bravo(BARCELONA), Chile Defenders Gary Medel(Inter), Enzo Roco(Espanyol), Mauricio Isla( Marseille), Chile midfielders Arturo Vidal(Bayern Munich), Pablo Hernandez(Celta), Erick Pulgar(Bologna), Charles Aranguiz(Bayer Leverkusen), Marcelo Diaz (Celta); Chile forwards are Fabian Orellana(Celta), Eduardo Vargas(Hoffenheim), Mauricio Panilla(Atalanta), and Alexis Sanchez(Arsenal). 

Chile current ranking is 5th while TnT is 64th; looking at the team make up and ours, looking at our ranking and theirs why the reference/comparison to Chile?

All Hart Haters love to reference the 8-1 loss when the now head of CONCACAF, accepted his resignation but what was his record as manager of Canada. September 2006-June 2007 In 10 games 5 W 1 D 4L. From May 2009 - October 2012 in 35 games 15 W 9 D 11 L.  Is this an average record? Also, in the 9 months after Hart they had 3(Three) Interim Managers. Since July 2013 they have hired Spaniard  Benito Floro. Has Canada become a global power since Hart? Has Hart stabilized our football and are we ranked higher than Canada. We are 64, Canada is 93 plus we are down from 50 and to 64 and still above Canada. Hart Haters stop bringing up one loss look a the whole picture.

Hart is the best coach for us at this point in time, people look in the mirror and know who we are. Hart has multiple youth programs that he would love to implement but cant because our Pro League, Schools League, Youth football and sport administration is 20 years behind where we need to be to get where he can get us.

What Hart Haters are missing is that we do not have first world football infrastructure but we have a coach with First world ideas, plans, strategy and implementation.

:beermug: :applause:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Alvin Corneal Articles
« Reply #197 on: January 02, 2017, 06:24:35 AM »
Did Nicaragua serve its purpose?
By Alvin Corneal (Guardian).

The question is: Did the Nicaragua series served it purpose?

For me I will say it I think they did, if only because of the fact that you are now more informed about the quality of the players who participated in the two match exercise.

And according to our Tom Sanitfied himself, “People sometimes people forget that I am only two and half, three weeks in Trinidad and that I saw only a few league matches and I had not a lot of time to select and to find the right players for the coming weeks. So this two-week training camp plus these two friendly matches helped me a lot to know which players are ready, which system is best and how we can be prepared for Suriname and Haiti. I am a very happy coach that we use these days between Christmas and New Years to prepare our team because we have made a lot of steps forward.”

I suppose that you have also tested the competence of our organization in many ways, especially the problems which saw one player and the Chef De Mission. The player in particular who may have not remembered to check his passports for the expiry date.

That aside, your disciplined attitude to training must have sent some messages to your stringent policy regarding same.

As to the matches itself, because we have been deprived of getting the opportunity to see our new look coach and his selected players, I was faced with doing a search for any type of coverage available. When I actually began to get a glimpse of the actual match the coverage was lousy and it came over as a stop and start football match (there is no such thing).

So the only information which I could have told myself was regarding the time of possession which we were only able to hold 44 per cent of the first match and marginal better in the second.

There was also some coverage which was actually showing the movement of the ball in animated style with the abbreviated names T&T and Nicaragua guiding us.

At times, when the quality improved marginally, the Central Americans appeared more organized and displayed some good ball possession.

Thankfully, all the goals in the two matches were shown on television via news. The opening goal by Luis Peralta in the 3rd minute of the first match was a sloppy piece of defending, where three red shirts lingered around the six-years-box with trying to reach a cross which started its downward trend amidst the trio, but they allowed enough space for a Nicaraguan to demonstrate the perfect technique of heading it past our keeper.

The second goal from Daniel Cadena was even more comical whereby a shot taken from at least 40-metres saw our keeper having to cover the length of the penalty area to catch the looping ball. He failed to reach and we were two goals down. Thankfully we retaliated with an attractive goal by Hashim Arcia, way of a well taken shot from 15 meters out.

My assessment for the first game was in T&T’s favour, simply because the home team is usually start with a two-goal advantage. This meant that the Warriors may have been an formidable opponent, and could take some credit for the one goal deficit at the conclusion of the first encounter.

The second match statistically was a great plus for the new coach with an improved quality of play, but more importantly, scoring three goals in the process.

My impression of the quality of play on both sides appeared slower than it should have been, and there was too much facility offer to the players with the ball from both sides. That signalled that the game was treated as a “true friendly”, maybe with the thought of avoiding injuries at this with T&T having two crucial matches in less than a week’s time against an always tough Haiti and Suriname in the CFU Gold Cup play-off starting on Wednesday in T&T.

Nothing negative about the exercise, but whatever has been shown by the instructions from the new coach must be seem when the Warriors face Suriname and Haiti.

The real test will begin on Wednesday.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #198 on: January 03, 2017, 06:06:00 AM »
Soca Warriors face serious challenges.

In just the first week in the New Year, our national football team is faced with the first challenge of the year, tomorrow to be exact, where opponents Suriname and Haiti will be formidable opponents.

I suppose that the new coach has given sufficient thought for the selection process and it will be senseless to challenge the team without seeing any training sessions at home or its two matches in Nicaragua.

Of course, the quality of the players is well known to those who follow the game closely. However, now that the recent confusion regarding the availability to represent the national team, is complete and the players are all available for selection.

The omission of Jan-Michel Williams is not understandable, unless of course he is injured, because he is undoubtedly the best and most outstanding keeper in the country, plus his vast experience at international level cannot be underestimated.

Being careful and hopefully fair that I am when it comes to matters of this great game, I realise that the chosen team is filled with some talented players, even without the Daneil Cyrus and Jomal Williams.

With the reason given by the coach for omitting these players, I applaud his decision. But if the reason for Cyrus being late because of a busted car tyre, then there should have been some level of compassion displayed. If his reason was truthful, then the coach may have acted unreasonably.

The case of Joevin Jones playing a practice match for W Connection is one which I would like to hear a comment from the TTFA President David John Williams or the management of W Connection. Jones, who is home on vacation from MLS champion Seattle Sounders, was unavailable for selection for the national team which toured Nicaragua last month.

We are all aware that the MLS season had ended, and all players from T&T who are attached to clubs are able to return home, especially when they have matches of competitive value.

The decision taken by the player himself or the management of the “W Connection team” to represent “W Connection” in a practice match against our Gold Cup Competitor, Haiti for a place in the Summer tournament, is strange and awkward for the new coach.

If the left-footed talented player needed to get some match activity before the Gold Cup qualifying matches tournament, why did he not travel with the team to Nicaragua?

I assume that no one saw anything wrong with his decision, except the Coach, who decided to remove his name from the previously selected squad.

Nevertheless, the true test for the current squad and their new coaching staff will be these two upcoming match against Suriname and Haiti.

The Dutch has not been setting the Caribbean world afire in recent times, but their players have shown levels of improvement marginally within the past two years.

However, a victory is terribly needed for the Soca Warriors, especially as the Haitians, their next opponent, are a much stronger team. They defeated T&T to eliminate us from the Copa America mega tournament last July.

Meanwhile, the little that I have recognised from Carlos Edwards’ squad does not allow me to make any strategic assessment on the team. However, having seen their last encounter against Haiti, and witnessing the matches played against the south Americans, gave me the feeling that speed will be their main asset, plus their absolute desire to gain possession.

T&T need to pay as much attention to this mini tournament so that qualification to the Gold Cup will provide the much needed experience and exposure before the team meet the more advanced Mexico and Panama.

This is a crucial year for the Soca Warriors football.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2017, 10:40:50 AM »
come on Mr Corneal, yuh stating what the average football fan know, you supposed to be on another level..Express yuh technical opinion (even if ppl not in agreement), or report on the individual intracies of the football/club contracts releases the avg fan won't know or even, the FIFA rules involved in playing off season matches outside of Fifa dates..but don't just give TT a piece like if you a fella in the street, whether ppl like your writing or not, you are not any average guy in TT football. Bring it man. Teach
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:43:12 AM by maxg »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2017, 05:57:15 AM »
Warriors one foot out of Gold Cup.

The score is 1-2, it’s your service Tom.

I wonder if the pain of defeat was a lesson to the new coach Tom Saintfiet.

Did he measure the importance of accepting the job when he had so little knowledge of players with whom he had to work with?

With one foot out of the Gold Cup, the high profile Belgian is now faced with having to swallow his words about players being “drunk” and “not interested” in representing their country.

Surely, these incidents which preceded our Suriname encounter, must have done something to the mindset of the players. The psychological mental patterns which reflect the mood of athletes when all is not well, are not easily recognised by just watching them prepare prior to the start of the event.

With approximately ten to 15 minutes into the match between the Soca Warriors and Suriname, the picture of lethargy and number of inaccurate passing sent the wrong message to the fans.

Despite the fact that there was sufficient quality in a number of our players, the absence of collective thinking was obvious almost at every turn of the encounter.

Suriname’s approach to the game was based upon the disciplined commitment to the instructions which were provided by their coaching staff. Their players do not have the ability of the majority of the Warriors.

The difference is that the Dutch were diligent in their planned passing game, and patience was their greatest virtue. They kept shape in their defensive ploy and offered little opportunity for penetrative passing lanes.

The Warriors helped their opponents by unforced errors through some inaccurate passing at a ratio of three in every seven. The effectiveness of attacking from the flanks came through the guile and speed of Tyrone Charles and Nathan Lewis. The exquisite passes which they created, failed to finish the sharp crosses, giving Suriname little trouble to avert danger.

Our midfield did not show up in attack, especially Kevan George and Hughton Hector, who left the job of turning the crossed balls into goals to Caesar and Arcia into the penalty area, which could have changed the game.

Attitudinally, the pace of the game was abysmally slow by both teams, not comparable to teams in this category of international football.

Suriname saw the need to shoot more frequently at goal and could have scored three times. However, their opening goal demonstrated that Guno Kwasi found space into a good shooting distance, before Carlyle Mitchell made a late tackle and deflected the shot past keeper Adrian Foncette.

The T&T wake up call saw a Suriname defender committing a foul on substitute Winchester. Tyrone Charles utilised clinical accuracy with a dipping swerver which landed in the right upper 90, giving the goalkeeper Claidel Kohinor no chance.

A drawn result at full time saw the teams going for glory in extra time, maybe with a bit more effort than the regular time. However, Ivanildo Rozenblad (substitute) surprised the Warriors midfield, rushed through the open space and rifled a powerful shot past the hapless keeper Foncette for the goal which subsequently was the winning goal.

It was difficult to understand any organised form of play, as players were operating instinctively and without good reason most times. Even the coach will agree that his charges were helter skelter in a game which all the players had previously claimed to understand the instructions of the new coach and the system of play which he requested. My! My!

The next game is clearly one which is victory for Warriors or exit the Gold Cup.

The first thought for coach Saintfiet is whether or not he will recall the players who have not been included for one reason or another.

Was the displayed sense of discipline practiced by the Belgian a short term decision? If so, then the recall of Joevin Jones, Kevin Molino, Daniel Cyrus, Jomal Williams, Jan-Michael Williams, and maybe the holiday maker Sheldon Bateau, could make a difference against Haiti.

My answer lies in the attitude of the players, the experience which many of them could portray in this crucial game and of course, a true picture of the talents of Jones and Molino returning to the team with the national flag in mind.

Oh what a painful situation to the fans, many of whom have given up the ghost by walking out of the stands earlier than they should.

There needs to be a complete turnaround in temperament and intensity in the Warriors, plus that collective process which good teams display when in search of a great result.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2017, 05:48:08 AM »
Waiting on John Williams reactions.

The second effort by our new look national football programme has been completed in a manner which can provide a review of some kind as to the success or lack of it.

Coach Tom Saintfiet has had much of the players, home based and foreign, not only on the field of play, but off it as well.

In a crowded four match programme, our national team’s performance fluctuated from match to match, leaving the fans and also the administration with a complexed impression regarding the quality of team and management.

Maybe a lot of “off the field” activity had affected certain aspects of the exercise, where the question of discipline, inappropriate comments from all stakeholders and faulty management could all have produced a picture of its own.

The chosen players during the period saw locals being projected among the more advanced ones and in certain cases, creating a positive standard for themselves, while the foreign based stars may not have faced the new image with the seriousness it deserved.

The structural formula regarding systems of play was never recognised as organised as good as was needed, and occasional skill and creativity was noticed on the basis of individual output as opposed to collective team play.

The fact that we were defeated on three occasions, twice in the official Gold Cup competition, did not allow the coaching staff any reasonable excuse, simply because the attitude, level of understanding the game, the instructions of the coaching staff or the inability of the pros and amateurs to adjust effectively all seemed flawed.

What seemed more visually obvious was the selection processes which were made regularly without bringing any improvement to the quality of our game.

I suppose that we are forced into commending Suriname and Haiti, both of which outplayed our team and also to demonstrate the tactical display of instructions given by their coaches.

The inclusion of some veteran players may have been beneficial in the very short term, but the two muscular injuries which affected both Carlos Edwards and Cornell Glen lent some guidance as to the disadvantage of age in the competitive world of football.

Pockets of ill-discipline were not helpful to the players or the team and appeared to have been unacceptable by the coach.

These were all part of the reason for failure to give the success which we expected, add to that the useless forms of communication which affected the smooth running of the media by placing complaints and accusations which were not even related to the game itself.

It would be unfair not to congratulate Shahdon Winchester for scoring a hat-trick on his birthday, an occasion which he will probably cherish for the rest of his life.

And finally, coach Saintfiet, how would he describe the performances of the team as opposed to his instructions on and off the field?

Moreso, how would David John-Williams react to the reasons or excuses which he may put forward for the failure to achieve his goal? Will he retain his opinion that these matches will lead positively to the Mexico and Panama World Cup activity?

What about us the public? Are we convinced that better days ahead or should we redirect the course of future events by changing the guards and the generals, invest into new ideas and look at the progress as a long term project which would allow the promising youngsters to develop within an environment which will place them into a comfort zone surrounded by the culture of the people, the task of guiding the minds of the players, and providing the country with a plan which may well gain the ascendency which our youth programmes from the 2004 - 2012 era.

Finally, we need to change our colonial belief that the foreigner is always superior.

We must understand that the majority of our star players of yesteryear were not because of the foreign coaches but by the extraordinary talent which they nurtured and attracted the world with a ball at their feet.

There is no need for a blame game, but more so, as to the search of organised education and extensive coaching all year round. The next two months could be a nightmare for our football.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2017, 08:16:45 PM »

Finally, we need to change our colonial belief that the foreigner is always superior.

We must understand that the majority of our star players of yesteryear were not because of the foreign coaches but by the extraordinary talent which they nurtured and attracted the world with a ball at their feet.

There is nothing in Coach Saintfiet resume to suggest that he was a "Superior" coach.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 11, 2017, 03:54:17 AM »

There is nothing in Coach Saintfiet resume to suggest that he was a "Superior" coach.

Blessings
there yah go

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #204 on: January 18, 2017, 05:09:56 AM »
T&T football between a rock and a hard place.

There is no space for excuses, ifs and buts, not even a decent reason why the game in this country has plummeted into total misery to the fans.

In case you are in search of answers to the present dilemma, we must all look into a mirror, and identify the numbers of erroneous mistakes, or face the absolute realities of player behaviour, coach selection, preparatory process towards our target, desist from confrontation between the experts and the members of the hierarchy whose authority appeared to have eroded the path to success.

As we speak, the complacency which is presently existing from all the stakeholders simply means that there is not organised method as to what is the next move.

Maybe they should take the primary step in assessing the true picture of the current quality of our recent matches, try to understand why the same players have deteriorated in their attitudes and by extension, their on the field performances, if we judge their contributions over the past three years.

It makes no sense worrying about the month-long inclusion of our Belgian friend whose arrival to this job is as mysterious as we have never expected.

While the corrective methods to ultimate success should have been guided by every aspect of choice of players, coaches, psychologists, medics, and most importantly, a committee which consist of qualified personnel, all of whom must pay attention to his areas of qualification.

Am I dodging the issue of the day which seems to all, which is selection of the new coach? NO! The TTFA must seek technical and tactical information as to the deficiencies which were exposed within the entire programme.

Unfortunately, time is a key factor and getting a team in training could be initiated by the present staff available, but not yet appointed, just offering assistance to regain the enthusiasm which appeared lost among the players.

If the authorities reach to the conclusion of the present point of the road to Russia, then it will create a better picture as to what type of coaching expertise is needed for the journey.

The decision can then be made intelligently and not a repetition of a “fly by night” dream coach who wanted to turn water into wine, and TT dollars into Euros.

Our plan must be one which needs maximum efforts for facing the next eight matches, and a selected coach must have the experienced coaching staff to work with both eyes upon that target, but also glance further into the future where the sequence of using the present competent players (in his opinion), can connect with players who are probably aiming for their entry into that last world Cup effort.

The picture can project the total physical efforts of all the players, while the younger ones can glance further towards the GOLD CUP in 2019.

Attitudes will need to be addressed in a manner which will send a message to all and sundry, that nothing less than disciplined and assertive approach, full commitment to the task and extraordinary sacrifices which may be just what the coaching staff will need.

This may call for a very experienced coach, supported by vibrant coaching staff of maybe three of our up and coming technicians, whose temperament have reflected a picture of anxiety to learn and be excellent listeners to the selected Professor.

Finally, the most disrupted problems have been seen to be coming from the boardroom and THIS MUST DISCONTINUE. The administrative structure was chosen on the basis of their capabilities of administering the management of the game, not their tampering with players, coaches, doctors, and the media.

We are behind the eight ball and only the brilliant minds, like the Crawfords and Mottleys, The Laras and (late) Carews, add the geniuses like the late Sir Frank Worrell to the group.

If the current administrative novices are incapable, then, do like the ailing and seek the services of those who can guide you along the way.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2017, 05:56:43 AM »
Welcome Warriors new head coach.

Dennis Lawrence is well known for heading the winning goal against Bahrain which took this twin island state straight into the FIFA Germany world Cup Finals 2006.

The lanky central defender was chosen by the technical committee of the T&T Football Association (TTFA) eventually after accepting the resignation of Belgian Tom Saintfiet some two weeks ago.

The deliberation period which existed before making the final choice leaves me with the impression that there was serious dialogue with a few contenders and maybe numerous essential questions of absolute importance and digging deep into their coaching experience had to be dealt with.

Taking into consideration the accepted mistake by the TTFA when deciding upon the choice of the flamboyant Belgian, whose bark turned out to be much more powerful than his bite, and left nothing to show his worth as a coach, we need a real coach.

So my congratulations go out to Dennis for accepting the job of coaching our national team for the first time.

I have to admit that while I can vouch for the professional approach which the San Juan defender showed on the field of play during the World Cup, his coaching ability could only be described in writing, especially as he was not a head coach on any of his assignments.

Clearly, the decision makers must have done deep assessment of Dennis’s work from the bench and I will trust them on this occasion.

I do not wish to hear of any promises made by the president similar to the one he made to the fly-by-night bargain dealing coach who travelled for thousands of miles and did not know the length of his contract.

It will be fair to assume that the former national player may have learned much of the fundamentals when sitting next to the English coaches with whom he worked and probably sometimes used the football language commented by the “gaffas”.

It is close to three weeks since the resignation of the former coach and it is a pity to see that an interim coach (or even the assistant named coaches) have not been placed in temporary positions in order to work with the locally-based players who may be pleased to have the coaches take a close look at their real quality as local professionals.

With eight weeks before the continuation of the Hexagonal qualifying, every session will have had immense value and the thought of a few relevant opponents, is vital for the preparation of the squad.

It would have been great for the technical committee to recognise the need for at least three or four practice matches such as Venezuela, Jamaica, Canada and any one of the final four qualifiers in the African Nations Cup.

Our team needs to find opponents who also need to sharpen their performance levels for competition of similar quality of the Hexagonal standard.

Because of my many years of assessing coaches, national and club, I will certainly cast a look at our local choice with the hope that the exposure afforded him by the English coaches will bring much valuable information to our own.

We need to support him totally and demand that the TTFA give him the respect of getting a few friendlies which I previously mentioned and a contract which is not filled with the two-match dismissal clause in advance of the giants - Mexico and Panama.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 23, 2017, 07:11:40 AM »
Alvin said the "the TTFA choice of the flamboyant Belgium". Honestly, there was nothing flamboyant about the Belgian. He walk right into a mine field.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #207 on: January 25, 2017, 12:52:43 PM »
FYI, Alvin told me...

Flex,
I have actually played 119 matches and scored 69 goals. However many of these matches were players before independence when the country was colonial. Between 1955 and 1962 I had played 38 matches, many of which were english 1st division clubs such as Arsenal, Chelsea, Wolves, Coventry, French national team playing under Air France, Barbados, British Guiana, Haiti twice, Suriname twice before independence. 3 Brasilians clubs and On the first ever West indies Team in 1959, we played 17 match against many first and second division teams between Aug.6th to November 9th 1959.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:53:28 PM by Flex »

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2017, 09:58:00 PM »
FYI, Alvin told me...

Flex,
I have actually played 119 matches and scored 69 goals. However many of these matches were players before independence when the country was colonial. Between 1955 and 1962 I had played 38 matches, many of which were english 1st division clubs such as Arsenal, Chelsea, Wolves, Coventry, French national team playing under Air France, Barbados, British Guiana, Haiti twice, Suriname twice before independence. 3 Brasilians clubs and On the first ever West indies Team in 1959, we played 17 match against many first and second division teams between Aug.6th to November 9th 1959.
STEUPS!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2017, 11:11:25 PM »
FYI, Alvin told me...

Flex,
STEUPS!!

Why STEUPS!! ?

1]; } ?>