March 28, 2024, 03:40:12 PM

Author Topic: Dare to be honest  (Read 2742 times)

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Dare to be honest
« on: September 09, 2009, 01:36:12 PM »
As we look to the game tonight and hope for a win ( I definitely am hoping), whom amongst us can dare to be honest and call it like it really is i.e. our beloved soca warriors are just not good. No, not 'not good enough', just plain not good.

We have average players at best (and even that is a stretch), and lost the last members of the talent pool when Dwight, Russell and Shaka retired.

C'mon ppl, be honest. Not only with ourselves, but with the country and all who peruse this site regularly.

Clayton Ince is a second rate goalie. Of course he pulls off the odd great save, but EVERY goalkeeper in the world has at least one or two of those moments. He is not and was never agile, and fails repeatedly to save any well directed shot. Not to mention his penchant for berating his defence unnecessarily.

Marvin Andrews was never ever any true footballer. He still can't make an accurate pass in excess of 5 metres. Ridiculous.

Abu Bakr seems to have potential and as such will be spared scrutiny reserved for others as an accurate assessment cannot be reasonably done.

Avery John is a left back from the 60's. He is at an absolute loss when he crosses into the opponents half, very quick to go to ground (a hallmark of a non thinking defender) and poor passer.

Cyd Gray was touted as a speedy player yet never showed this speed ppl so exalted and poor positional sense. Cruelly exposed in Costa Rica, even though he gained my respect and admiration for how he made a concerted effort to improve.

Carlos Edwards is our favourite player. Yet he consistently sends wayward crosses and seems to enjoy his ability to spin like a top. Granted, he often gets behind players, but then what? Championship division player.

Keon Daniel is an absolute waste of time. Scored a couple free kicks and was regarded as the next great thing. Steups. I've seen SSFL players score great free kicks. It happens to any and all footballers at some point. Keon is slow, weak, and slow in thought.

Trent Noel was our PFL player of the year once. I've seen him play a few times and he has yet to show why he should be anywhere near the national team. He hasn't made any incisive passes or important tackles. What is his purpose?

Densil Theobald is plain and simple not good at all. When you are left out of a jokey Scottish team, it signals time to decide if football is what you're really good at. What does he really do on a field?

Chris Birchall is perhaps the best out of the bunch, but solely on work rate. Cant control or pass to save his life and doesnt seem to have an idea of when to calm down. I love him for it though...its all or nothing.

Kenwyne Jones is what we call a functional striker. He has no technical ability or skill whatsoever. But his imposing frame lends itself to knocking in a few now ad again. Any one with a footballing mind will attest that the English game is about being functional as opposed to talented.

Cornell Glenn cannot play under pressure. He will fall to ground, feign or actually get injured or generally try to bulldoze his way through with no success at all. Yes he shows flashes of brilliance, but as I said earlier, it happens to any footballer in the course of his career.

Jason Scotland is a nice player. He however, doesn't seem suited to any type of game. He isn't fast enough to blow past defenders, not skilful enough to dribble them, cannot play very well with his back to goal, and isn't big enough to intimidate. He seems to be able to finish well against lesser opposition though.

Hayden Tinto is hungry, but he is an absolutely brain dead footballer. He tries the same dribbles without success over and over and crosses poorly. I think he has potential, so I will put his displays down to eagerness to prove his worth.

Russell Latapy is perhaps our best ever player, but he is quickly proving to be on his way to our worst ever coach. Absolutely devoid of any tactical awareness, he hasnt played the same starting team for any of his games in charge. Chopping and changing the back line is not the sign of a coach who knows what he is doing. Keeping underperfroming players on the field for 90 mins is not a sign that he knows waht he is doing. Keeping in form goal scorers on the bench in a must win game is not a sign that he knows what he is doing.

This U20 team that everyone seems to be pinning their hopes on fall into a similar category. We seem to have quickly forgotten that we qualified with a singular victory. While getting all the necessary exposure to improve, they are just not good. At least not at this point. I hope that we are not obscenely exposed at the youth world cup.

Anyone dare to be honest?

Offline Mackie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dare to be honest
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 01:46:31 PM »
Good post dude some very salient points. Howver the U20's proving they are good enough in their warm up matches at least.. True they qualified with one victory but that was in the final qualifying phase..

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 01:51:15 PM »
Honestly them men good enough to compete in concacaf and at least come 4th or 3rd.

even with all them flaws.

But Honestly everything need to be organised and conducted properly and that is why we are where we are.

The issue is not the ability of the players.

Ability of the players is just one part of the equation.

Coaching, Management, performance, comitment are other factors

The key is to take the ability of the players and create success in the competition we are in.
Them same men who cannot pass and trap will fit into other teams and be sucessfull.

From the President to the fans and everyone inbetween is to blame.
It is a country effort.

The biggest issue is talking versus doing,
everybody in trinidad is a football expert
but in the world of football they have done nothing. not even buy a ticket to see a game.
They only know how to talk!

put on a tugs and go and pass a ball 5 yards and let we see how you do:)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 02:31:53 PM »
Marvin Andrews did play for Glasgow Rangers, and was pretty decent until his knee problem.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 02:40:06 PM »

but in the world of football they have done nothing. not even buy a ticket to see a game.

Better yet, get out and support the local leagues, or go on the PFL website and increase the hits.  Shitty or not, the league is/should be the root of our strength.

The players are not world class, their performance has been poor. But if we really want to be honest we'll acknowledge its the federation and the fan culture that are the weakest part of T&T football.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 02:44:38 PM »
Cyd Gray was touted as a speedy player yet never showed this speed ppl so exalted and poor positional sense. Cruelly exposed in Costa Rica, even though he gained my respect and admiration for how he made a concerted effort to improve.

You cannot be serious.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 03:46:50 PM »

Better yet, get out and support the local leagues, or go on the PFL website and increase the hits.  Shitty or not, the league is/should be the root of our strength.

The players are not world class, their performance has been poor. But if we really want to be honest we'll acknowledge its the federation and the fan culture that are the weakest part of T&T football.

:applause: :applause:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 04:02:41 PM »
okay, the players are "poor". so what?
i think anyone with knowledge of the game knows that our players are not world beaters.
in fact, for the most part, our players are nobodies in the bigger scheme of things.

BUT

my belief is that if we pick the best of our "average to poor" players,
if they play with more heart,
if they were better prepared (in terms of fitness and organization),
we would be able to give a much better showing.
we still may not make it to the world cup, but our performances would be respectable.
we'd be able to say, them fellas lost but they did the country proud.
and that's all you can really ask for.

i don't think its THAT we lose, as much as HOW we lose that is the cause for most peoples disappointment.

(in other words we want to feel the same way about the team, as you feel about birchall.
he not great, but you love him for his attitude/effort.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 04:09:00 PM by dwn »

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 04:54:49 PM »
Honesty or negativity. Had we had some practice games most of the problems would have been ironed out. I think Maturana and now Latapy are making bad selection choices. Colin Samuel should be on the left wing- Julius John and Abu bakr in the middle . Roberts should be in midfield and If you are bringing back old men Sancho is younger and fitter than the two old timers.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 04:58:41 PM »
Dude Scotland bussing Fulham net and you talking about lesser opponents?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 10:10:54 PM »
Marvin Andrews did play for Glasgow Rangers, and was pretty decent until his knee problem.

Wrong was neva good
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

giggsy11

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 06:35:34 AM »

When did the fans stopb supporting and why? I know when I was growing up people showed up to watch and support? What has changed?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 07:32:32 AM »
The fans don't run the day to day football of TT. They come out, paying their hard earn money to support the team. The TTFF should take 95% of the blame for our elimination. Leave the fans out of this. Looking at the path that unfolded after the blacklist, the fans really supported this team. Yes the stadium was not jam-packed but they still showed their support. I was really gratified to see the 12-14 thousand still come out with hope in their hearts for a miracle. Well, the miracle did take place. It was a miraculous shot from Clarke that hit the fans like a dagger thru their hearts last night. Big the fans and waggonists who showed up for this futile campaign

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 08:28:36 AM »
We have to stop crying in our Beer, roll up we sleeves and get to work.

4 Years -----Lets Go------Make it happen-------No excuses------Get on the Waggon now or F*ck off.  :whip:

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 11:47:08 AM »
We have to stop crying in our Beer, roll up we sleeves and get to work.

4 Years -----Lets Go------Make it happen-------No excuses------Get on the Waggon now or F*ck off.  :whip:

Especially d cost of beer as 4 being on d bandwagon I dey but wit meh head not meh heart. Cyah take dis heartbreak.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 12:39:39 PM »

When did the fans stopb supporting and why? I know when I was growing up people showed up to watch and support? What has changed?

A lot of features close to the fans hearts were destroyed in the 1990s, things like North-South rivalry, a lot of the old clubs, not to mention the availability of top notch football 24-7 in yuh living room.

A lot of initiatives to reorganize and buld-up football by men like Arthur Suite were wiped out as well.

A big part of it is the change in the structure level, football is longer identified with communities, it moved  into the hands of a few powerful men. And busines is reluctant to support because they fraid the potential of bobol and the crowds are gone.

Real sad when an international match featuring the T&T champons and the Honduran Champions can't even draw more crowd than a half-ass school boy game from 20 years ago
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 03:05:07 PM »

A lot of features close to the fans hearts were destroyed in the 1990s, things like North-South rivalry, a lot of the old clubs, not to mention the availability of top notch football 24-7 in yuh living room.

A lot of initiatives to reorganize and buld-up football by men like Arthur Suite were wiped out as well.

A big part of it is the change in the structure level, football is longer identified with communities, it moved  into the hands of a few powerful men. And busines is reluctant to support because they fraid the potential of bobol and the crowds are gone.

Real sad when an international match featuring the T&T champons and the Honduran Champions can't even draw more crowd than a half-ass school boy game from 20 years ago

Ent!
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 03:22:32 PM »
Zandolie,
                I cosign!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 09:15:24 PM »

I remember going tuh see ah double header intercol semi final, sando tech vs signal hill and and john D vs i think was eldorado. that's the intercol that put latas, sutton, clive hutchenson, and clint marcell on the radar.

anyway, the stadium had more ppl than what i saw last night for that game. yuh talk bout ppl!!!!! stadium packed to capacity, and is rydim sections, iz drums, iron men , whistles , horns , conch shells, just pure atmosphare in the satadium.

latas played for tech that yr and between him and sutton , they pounched on signal hill ah 10-0 drobbing, latas scored like three and sutton bout 4. those were the days when ppl really loved football in TNT.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 07:30:43 AM »
JC d football was atractive so peeps went. Now it eh attractive u have a choice of goin football or movietown u will go movietown because d football quality poor. So dem coaches need 2 wuk on improvin dey product.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 08:23:08 AM »
I commented on my reasons, awhile ago, maybe even the old board. Took my insults and waste down. I wrote of the Socio-economic structure and nouveau-culture. Wrote on the brain & athletic drain, and the lack of security as well as previously mentioned factors to encourage young (not necessarily player young) ppl who are aware, with new and creative ideas, etc.etc. to return and re-develop and rebuild the country. Gave example of, if yuh surround, work, practice with skilled ppl, eventually one develops a higher level of skill, faster than, an individual, rarely meeting an equal or lesser skilled individual..etc..etc..ah take meh licks, bout 'who I think I is", bout "if I feel I smart", bout "wha I know bout football"...which prompted me to write "it's not about me, I'm really nobody", look at the idea not the individual, it's one of the attitudes we must change...then ah get cuss... I thanked the few ppl who were willing to discuss, and vowed I wasn't going there again, because those ideas takes a person, family,lime,community,region and eventually all of TT. and I don't live there...to hush, what you go know bout TT.... yet, They bring Juliani, Scotland yard, another jokey individual to advise on crime, bring a Porters,Simoes, Beene, Mats an friends, then ah quick last resort in Latas to save football, bring ah next group to deal with health, another for constructon, all kinda groups and hosting and summits , an building stadia, so we get on World map...affording everybody to take of TT, and ensuring TTians never revert to taking care of themselves, and then wonder why the generations that come after us, don't know how to take care of thy country, don't love they country, won't die for they country, not as skilled, especially mentally as we were....we plant corn and want apples, and so cry for the price of them, and how we send quitety quite for them....well this is what we crave, the world know and love we, to bad we have to re-learn to love weself, it's never to late.....

bBut ah promise ah wasn't going to go down writing on this stuff again, so ah won't  :devil:

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 09:33:12 AM »
I, too, talked about the social fabric of our society, the out of control crime rate, and the hopelessness in the land, and I pointed blame at the government because everybody knows that they are the ones with the resources to affect change in Trinidad and Tobago and I got cussed out as well. I made a promise to myself that I would not say anymore about that, so I will refrain from commenting any further on that.

I'll be honest with you. The best football club in the so call Trinidad and Tobago Professional League is about as good as or slightly better than the worst team in the MLS. Technically, players in TnT are feeble, mentally slow, football intelligence is that of a retard, lacking in nutrition, misdirected, ill prepared, competitively weak, stunted, stagnant, lacking in exposure, and ill supported.

I'll be honest with you. Shit rolls down hill. It starts from the top and I am talking about the TTFF. The president of the TTFF is a feeble minded old yes man. Everybody else in that organization is just following suit. The coaches around TnT are weak feeble minded men intimidated by one man who is obviously blinded by power and greed. The players are covered in shit and so they produce nothing but shit with a few exceptions. The exceptions are the ones who are able to see past the shit and are able to get out from up under the mound of shit. Then there are those people in TnT with the self defeatist attitude that will bat for the status quo, who come hell or high water will continue to support the idiots in charge of this feeble federation.
See Bahrain, they are in the 2010 World Cup because their football federation gave them the support they needed to not repeat 2006 all over again. Can you say the same for this federation. 

I'll be honest with you. People on this forum are talking about 2014 and this U20 team but I know that in 2006 we were happy to be in the World Cup, it meant that we had arrived and we had become one of the best soccer playing nations in the world, instead of progressing we regressed as a result of greed, feeble minds, power hungry idiots. In order for us to beat people in 2014 we have to produce intelligent, fast thinking, skillful, technically gifted and tactically sound coaches and players with the ability to dominate any country on any given day. To achieve that kind of results we must have the full support of our football federation. No ifs, ands, or buts about that. If the cancerous element is still there in the next couple of years the shit will continue to roll down hill.

Viva.........................
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 09:45:30 AM »
Brudder shit runnin up d hill tings so badddddddddddddd.

1]; } ?>