April 19, 2024, 04:06:11 PM

Author Topic: US moves to verge of 6th straight World Cup berth  (Read 9771 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cornell Glen post-game interview
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 05:18:25 PM »
Cornell Glen post-game interview T&T vs USA
centerlinesoccer.com

Center Line Soccer correspondent Embele Awipi spoke with Earthquakes and Trinidad & Tobago striker Cornell Glen after the US national team’s 1-0 victory over T&T yesterday. Glen nearly gave his side a first-half lead with an artful chip over US goalkeeper Tim Howard, but his effort was denied by the crossbar.

Listen to the interview: <a href="http://www.centerlinesoccer.com/wp-content/plugins/audio-player/player.swf?soundFile=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.centerlinesoccer.com%2Faudio%2F090909Glen.mp3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.centerlinesoccer.com/wp-content/plugins/audio-player/player.swf?soundFile=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.centerlinesoccer.com%2Faudio%2F090909Glen.mp3</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: US moves to verge of 6th straight World Cup berth
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 05:38:08 PM »
A win isn't just a win for U.S. soccer.
By: Kevin Eubanks (Bakersfield Sports Examiner).

Three points and all was well with the United States, or at least that’s what many in the American media are quick to point out after the Americans’ 1-0 win over Trinidad and Tobago which, with some help from El Salvador, moved the U.S. to the top of the CONCACAF table with just two matches remaining in qualifying.

But it was three points and all wasn’t quite well in Port of Spain, to be honest. It was another sloppy, uninspiring performance from the Americans who were once again just able to pull out one piece of brilliance to edge yet another not-so-great opponent in qualifying.

The best news of the night came from San Salvador where Costa Rica fell 1-0 to El Salvador, giving the Americans some breathing room with two matches remaining in qualifying for FIFA World Cup 2010. But a win might still be necessary to get the U.S. to South Africa and a win isn’t going to come easy in the final two matches of qualifying. First comes a trip to San Pedro Sula where Honduras is 4-0-0 in this cycle of qualifying while outscoring its opponents by a combined 12-2. Then it’s back to Washington D.C. for the final qualifying match against Costa Rica, which might have struggled of late, but did dominate the U.S. in San Jose in January 3-1.

It’s been five matches since the U.S. found this amazing level of mediocrity beginning with that loss at Costa Rica, followed by three 2-1 results – wins against Honduras and El Salvador sandwiched around the 2-1 defeat at Estadio Azteca to Mexico. The latest was Wednesday’s 1-0 win over Trinidad and Tobago in Port of Spain, and while any road victory should be cherished in World Cup qualifying, this was anything but a thing of beauty.

Landon Donovan made sense of the match: "I know people like to look at teams on paper and say, 'This should be an easy win.' These games are not easy anywhere in the world. There are a lot of teams that struggle to get through these games. We played well, we didn't play perfect, but we got the result we needed."

The term “playing well” was an overstatement, but Donovan is right: Traveling in CONCACAF is not easy and the U.S. did get the full three points out of the match. But it was how the U.S. earned the win that was troubling. It was another treacherous opening half-hour allowing the opposition to completely control the match. It has been the American mantra that opposition in CONCACAF come out with high energy before the home crowd, but that excuse is beginning to wear thin, especially when the U.S. gets dominated on home soil in the first 30 minutes of matches.

A quality side can expect that high energy and take the bite out out of the opposition by holding possession and forcing the opponent to chase instead of simply allowing the other team to build momentum by giving the ball away in the midfield time after time. But in the end, that’s the problem with the Americans – they can’t possess the ball. It’s why they haven’t been able to get out to quick starts in World Cup qualifying and it’s why they couldn’t hold a 2-0 lead over Brazil. If you give Brazil an entire half of possession, it’s going to score a lot of goals.

It’s a head-scratcher why Bob Bradley continues to run out Clint Dempsey match after match when he continually loses possession, is the opposite of Donovan when it comes to work rate, and sometimes doesn’t seem to care how the team is fairing. Some might overlook Dempsey’s poor form of late because of a goal here and there, but despite an occasional goal, his production is actually counteractive to the good of the team.

And there were other negatives. Charlie Davies wasn’t his disruptive self up top, Michael Bradley disappeared after a successful first half, Ricardo Clark – despite the goal – was otherwise a non-factor, and it’s becoming clear that Carlos Bocanegra’s better days are behind him.

Focusing on the negatives is something that goalkeeper Tim Howard won’t do: “You get into halftime and all the things that went on in the first half, you try to talk about. You can’t fix every problem but we felt we didn’t play nearly as well as we could have. But we still came in 0-0. That was a positive and we wanted to build on that. We also wanted to reiterate the importance of getting a victory and not letting this one slip.”

Howard might have been the top positive for the U.S. in this match. Along with Oguchi Onyewu, Howard did his best to keep the defense organized, and when it did break down, his vision and reaction were brilliant. Besides his unusually poor performance on set pieces, Donovan was his typical, hard-working self. Jozy Altidore might not be world class yet, but he showed more strength on the ball and ripped a 30-yard blast that T&T goalkeeper Clayton Ince did well to deflect. Even Jonathan Bornstein wasn’t a disaster, something that can always be looked at as a positive.

So it was far from brilliant, but no one will remember how the U.S., or any other team for that matter, gets to South Africa. The goal is to just get there, and the U.S. now has many different scenarios in October to make that happen. In short, any American win or Costa Rica loss ensures the U.S. a spot in South Africa. Even a loss to Honduras and a draw with Costa Rica would get the U.S. through (U.S. would finish with 17 points, Costa Rica could only get to 16 in that scenario).

Obviously, it was a big win for the U.S. on Wednesday and it would take a disaster to not reach the World Cup at this point. But after its performance at the FIFA Confederations Cup last summer, American soccer fans expect – and deserve – a higher level of play from their team.

All is well – for now.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2009, 05:58:17 PM »
Wow.... :o :o an objective report from an American....WOW....I knew we played the game of our lives but I didn't realise how good....*sigh* if only.....*sigh*  :(

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Mackie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 10:36:41 AM »
not for hell can I differentiate between trent noel an clyde leon.  :-\

haha me too !!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 11:10:08 AM »

haha me too !!

dyslexia is a hell of a thing.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 03:38:20 PM »

haha me too !!

dyslexia is a hell of a thing.

:shameonyou:

try yuh bes eh!
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2009, 05:56:16 PM »
There is no way on earth I will make my son score against my country especially in a do or die game for my country.

Ricardo Clark father is a blasted bullaman...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2009, 06:42:08 PM »
There is no way on earth I will make my son score against my country especially in a do or die game for my country.

Ricardo Clark father is a blasted bullaman...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2009, 07:49:08 PM »
Ricardo Clark's father must be real proud now....8)

Clark's first international goal since a 3-1 loss to Paraguay in Venezuela in Copa America on July 2, 2007 came in front of his father, Lance, a Trinidian by birth who came in to watch his son play.

"It's special to score a goal with him watching," Clark said. "He's been a big part of my life, big part of my soccer career. It's a blessing to score in front of him."

Clark, 26, has family -- distant relatives -- here on the island.

"We don't keep in touch with them too much," he said, adding that he saw one of his father's cousins during the team's short stay.

"It was one of those get-in, get-out things," Clark said. "I saw my dad this morning, got him some tickets, then it was bye-bye. I don't think I'm going to see him after the game. So that's the life of a soccer player."

http://houston.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090909&content_id=6882516&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2009, 05:28:19 PM »
Fu#k Zamora
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: U.S. picks up first road win of final round qualifying with 1-0 win in T&T
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2009, 10:51:08 PM »
Altidore in his blue tugs - he auditioning for a Jackie Chan movie or wha

hopefully we can at least play spoiler in our remaining games if we can.
Costa Rica and Mexico... last two games

10/10/09 TBA   Honduras - USA 
10/10/09 TBA   Mexico - El Salvador 
10/10/09         Costa Rica - Trinidad and Tobago 
14/10/09 TBA   El Salvador - Honduras 
14/10/09 TBA   Trinidad and Tobago - Mexico 
14/10/09 TBA   USA - Costa Rica 

I tink we done play spoiler enough.  Against we self.....

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2009, 06:02:27 PM »
lol we got dissed hard on Fox Football Fone-In... haha man said they could play at 50% and destroy us cause we just such a poor team ouch... No props for the way we played its just that US played poor sad ish...

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2009, 06:47:59 PM »
well ask coach Bradley nah ... he know what might have been...USA would be sweating over the last 2 games
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2009, 05:14:01 AM »
lol we got dissed hard on Fox Football Fone-In... haha man said they could play at 50% and destroy us cause we just such a poor team ouch... No props for the way we played its just that US played poor sad ish...

Doh study dem....dais why dey going and get mash up AGAIN in de WC.....the above is exactly why ah cyar like de US team....arrogant A-holes!!!...
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

1]; } ?>