April 19, 2024, 10:14:57 AM

Author Topic: Dwight lived the dream  (Read 5937 times)

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight lived the dream
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:02:55 AM »
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:13:28 AM by Tallman »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwight Yorke
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:10:01 AM »
fitzinho, this article was too good for you to post it with a broken link.. but thanks!

reposting here...

Dwight lived the dream

by Andrew Cole

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090910/SPORTCOLUMNISTS/709109896/1078/SPORT&template=columnists

My old strike partner Dwight Yorke retired this week, aged 37. He was at Sunderland last season, but he’ll best be remembered for his time at Manchester United, especially when we won the 1999 treble. Dwight should have won more, but I’ll come to that.

When he joined United in August 1998 from Aston Villa, strikers Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Teddy Sheringham were at the club and I wasn’t certain of my future. Sir Alex Ferguson had tried to sign Patrick Kluivert, but that fell through and United paid £12.6 million (Dh76.6m) for Dwight.

I was the striker United could have sold for the most and my fears were realised as I was on the bench a lot. I did start at Southampton and we won 3-0, with Dwight and I scoring in only our second game as a strike pairing. The manager saw something.

I liked Yorkey straight away and admired how he was completely unfazed by his huge transfer fee. Not many strikers settle as quickly at Old Trafford like Dwight.

We were totally different people. Dwight was, ‘Look at me, I play for United, I’ve got a nice bird and car’. I’m the opposite. I bought a Porsche one year but was so self-conscious that I couldn’t drive it. It took me two months to drive it to training. Yorkey had no such worries.

I invited him round to our house to spend time with my family. We went shopping together and I’d often call to remind him what time training was – because he always forgot.

When we started playing together, it was like meeting a special woman and falling in love. Everything felt right. Whatever he did, I did the opposite. We never had a cross word. If I was upset with him or he with me, we’d look at each other and say ‘OK’.

Dwight’s arrival changed my whole United career and our partnership got stronger. One game stands out – against Champions League favourites Barcelona away in 1998-99. We were behind after one minute. Yorkey equalised after 25 minutes after I combined with him. I then put us ahead, and ran to the corner to celebrate with a group of United fans sitting in the home end. Rivaldo levelled for Barca, before Yorkey struck again: 3-3.

After that, the biggest clubs in Europe were saying: stop Cole and Yorke and we stop Man United.

But they couldn’t. Our confidence soared and we thought we’d score every week. If one of us didn’t score, the other would. We could alter our play depending on the opposition: I’d go long, he’d go short. Nobody knew how to mark us. At times, we had so much space that we took liberties.

If one player lived the dream, it was Dwight. He always played with a beaming smile. Maybe he lived it too much because, if I’m brutally honest, for a boy of his talent Dwight never fulfilled his potential. He was one of the fittest footballers I played with and his ability was up there with the best of them. After the treble, though, I felt that he eased off. I told him and so did Roy Keane.

If he had put his nut down and worked, Dwight could have become a United legend.

Dwight is from a small Caribbean island and I’m of Caribbean descent. I know the mentality – when you reach the top, you relax and ease off. What more could Dwight do? He’d won the treble.

Sometimes he relaxed too much, like when he fell asleep in the middle of the pitch during a training session before a pre-season tour game in Australia.
   :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Like me, Dwight moved to Blackburn where I saw him lose his temper for the only time. Manager Graeme Souness bought us together hoping that we would replicate our United success.

There was a problem: Blackburn didn’t have the quality we’d had around us at Old Trafford. That led to Souness falling out of love with the pair of us and we felt that he was trying to knife us.

Souness did Dwight in a tackle in training, causing a gash so deep in his shin that you could see the white of his bone.

He could have broken his leg. Dwight was still spitting bullets when I heard the commotion as he slaughtered Souness in the canteen – right in front of Blackburn’s chief executive. Dwight was saying: ‘Graeme Souness, the big hard man who bullies his own players?’ He destroyed him verbally. Dwight played 480 club games and scored 147 goals, including 64 in 151 appearances for United. More of those goals should have come at United, but I’m picking holes in a great career.

I saw him two weeks ago and he said: ‘These players today on £100,000 a week. If I earned that money I’d live like a £100,000 a week player with the best cars and birds.”

“What do you mean Yorkey?” I replied. “You already did.”

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 08:11:46 AM »
LOL...thanks for the fix dinho.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 08:13:42 AM »
I got d link thxs luv d part bout how he fell asleep
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dwight lived the dream
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 08:15:55 AM »
They should've titled the article...

"Dwight Yorke: The reason I had a career"
by Andy Cole

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 08:18:13 AM »
How de ass you could fall asleep in de middle of de pitch during training? Yorke really was amazing oui!

And again..i noticing a common trend....with all of our heroes.....people see it in them that they could have achieved more. Wow.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 08:28:53 AM »

by Andy Cole

lol why yuh so?  ;D ...Dwight was the perfect striker partner for Cole at United, but yuh cyar look at it that one-sided....Cole did alot of the hard running that made Dwight look good...There were games where I watched United, and it was clear that Yorkie as a football player had technique on a different level to Cole, but Cole was a lot more hard working, dynamic and imaginative in his movement...Because Dwight was alot smoother on the ball, and ultimately scored more better looking [edit] goals, he stole the spotlight from Cole on quite a few occasions where Cole to me was the unsung hero in the pairing.  Andy Cole was also a goal scoring machine at Newcastle (averaged almost a goal a game there) before he went to United... His career was in full stride before Yorke came along. 

« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 09:08:48 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 08:36:26 AM »

by Andy Cole

no boy. andy cole was a good striker before the yorke partnership.

he used to light it up at newcastle.

nice read btw.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 08:44:24 AM »

by Andy Cole

lol why yuh so?  ;D ...Dwight was the perfect striker partner for Cole at United, but yuh cyar look at it that one-sided....Cole did alot of the hard running that made Dwight look good...There were games where I watched United, and it was clear that Yorkie as a football player had technique on a different level to Cole, but Cole was a lot more hard working, dynamic and imaginative in his movement...Because Dwight was alot smoother on the ball, and ultimately scored more goals, he stole the spotlight from Cole on quite a few occasions where Cole to me was the unsung hero in the pairing.  Andy Cole was also a goal scoring machine at Newcastle (averaged almost a goal a game there) before he went to United... His career was in full stride before Yorke came along. 

we go hadda agree to disagree yes...

i always say alot of Cole's and by extension Man Utd's success was down to Dwight's unselfishness as a player. And that was laid bare when Van Nistelrooy came in.. because for all the 40 goals he score, the team never push on to that next level.. Yorke made that team as a whole unit function alot better than VNR with he greedy, ball hound self.

is nuff games i watch where Yorke do all the dog work and put it on the platter for Cole to finish.. Or Cole clean up a Yorke rebound off the post or the keeper.. Plus that goat used to real throw way.. Imo, I find Cole get a whole lot more out of that marriage than Yorke did and this is me trying to be as objective as possible. The tandem works well but Cole was more a scraps man while Yorke was a feeder..

People does underestimate Yorke's football brain.

Yorke was fit.. he was solid.. he didn't have blistering pace.. he didn't have extraordinary balls skill.. but to see Dwight in his prime trap a ball and proceed to always make the right decisions was a thing of beauty.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 08:59:31 AM »

by Andy Cole

lol why yuh so?  ;D ...Dwight was the perfect striker partner for Cole at United, but yuh cyar look at it that one-sided....Cole did alot of the hard running that made Dwight look good...There were games where I watched United, and it was clear that Yorkie as a football player had technique on a different level to Cole, but Cole was a lot more hard working, dynamic and imaginative in his movement...Because Dwight was alot smoother on the ball, and ultimately scored more goals, he stole the spotlight from Cole on quite a few occasions where Cole to me was the unsung hero in the pairing.  Andy Cole was also a goal scoring machine at Newcastle (averaged almost a goal a game there) before he went to United... His career was in full stride before Yorke came along. 

i always say alot of Cole's and by extension Man Utd's success was down to Dwight's unselfishness as a player. And that was laid bare when Van Nistelrooy came in.. because for all the 40 goals he score, the team never push on to that next level.. Yorke made that team as a whole unit function alot better than VNR with he greedy, ball hound self.

is nuff games i watch where Yorke do all the dog work and put it on the platter for Cole to finish.. Or Cole clean up a Yorke rebound off the post or the keeper.. Plus that goat used to real throw way.. Imo, I find Cole get a whole lot more out of that marriage than Yorke did and this is me trying to be as objective as possible. The tandem works well but Cole was more a scraps man while Yorke was a feeder..

Yorke was fit.. he was solid.. he didn't have blistering pace.. he didn't have extraordinary balls skill.. but to see Dwight in his prime trap a ball and proceed to always make the right decisions was a thing of beauty.

No question Yorke was a better footballer than Cole...Technique and ability on a different level, but as a pair they fed off of eachother...and as good as Yorke was, it was that chemistry with Cole that made him what he was at Man U.  They were like ying & yang, despite the obvious differences (some might say gaps) in their footballing ability.  Chemistry on that level is a difficult thing to find, and Cole put in real dog wuk to keep that chemistry alive... so while yuh might be right in saying that Cole benefitted more from the pairing, I eh too sure if Yorke woulda had the success at Man U without a strike partner that meshed with him as well on the field as Cole did...who knows?

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 09:11:56 AM »
no boy. andy cole was a good striker before the yorke partnership.

he used to light it up at newcastle.

Yeah, Cole was only crap when he played for England.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

giggsy11

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 09:28:55 AM »

by Andy Cole

lol why yuh so?  ;D ...Dwight was the perfect striker partner for Cole at United, but yuh cyar look at it that one-sided....Cole did alot of the hard running that made Dwight look good...There were games where I watched United, and it was clear that Yorkie as a football player had technique on a different level to Cole, but Cole was a lot more hard working, dynamic and imaginative in his movement...Because Dwight was alot smoother on the ball, and ultimately scored more better looking [edit] goals, he stole the spotlight from Cole on quite a few occasions where Cole to me was the unsung hero in the pairing.  Andy Cole was also a goal scoring machine at Newcastle (averaged almost a goal a game there) before he went to United... His career was in full stride before Yorke came along. 

I also think football came more naturally to Dwight than Cole. Cole has had to put in the extra effort to be successful while Dwight cruised and  may not have really appreciated his opportunites as much.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 10:34:10 AM »

by Andy Cole

No question Yorke was a better footballer than Cole...Technique and ability on a different level, but as a pair they fed off of eachother...and as good as Yorke was, it was that chemistry with Cole that made him what he was at Man U.  They were like ying & yang, despite the obvious differences (some might say gaps) in their footballing ability.  Chemistry on that level is a difficult thing to find, and Cole put in real dog wuk to keep that chemistry alive... so while yuh might be right in saying that Cole benefitted more from the pairing, I eh too sure if Yorke woulda had the success at Man U without a strike partner that meshed with him as well on the field as Cole did...who knows?
Nope Dwight idnt need him ,he would use anybody there had to grab that treble.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 10:50:36 AM »
Him and Cole sound like a old married couple off the field, but that chemistry combined with the quality of the rest of the squad had them deadly.

Dwight need to write a tell-all book up to present time, ah would love to read the stories he could tell.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:53:03 AM by grimm01 »

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 11:01:27 AM »
2 Legends

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 11:04:55 AM »
Him and Cole sound like a old married couple off the field, but that chemistry combined with the quality of the rest of the squad had them deadly.

Dwight need to write a tell-all book up to present time, ah would love to read the stories he could tell.

I bet half the book will be rated R  :beermug:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 11:09:07 AM »
How de ass you could fall asleep in de middle of de pitch during training? Yorke really was amazing oui!

And again..i noticing a common trend....with all of our heroes.....people see it in them that they could have achieved more. Wow.

What more could Lara have achieved?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 11:11:31 AM »

Well if Digicel did no accept scabs when dey come on d scene he would have make d 12000 plus runs.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 11:15:33 AM »
he was on de money when he talk bout de mentality ah caribbean folk.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 12:00:21 PM »

Well if Digicel did no accept scabs when dey come on d scene he would have make d 12000 plus runs.

I believe Boubon was referring to not making full use of one's potential as it relates to Trinbago sports heros.  If that is the case I can't agree with that with respect to Brian Lara.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 12:06:02 PM »

I believe Boubon was referring to not making full use of one's potential as it relates to Trinbago sports heros.  If that is the case I can't agree with that with respect to Brian Lara.

Think bout all the times when Lara's application was questioned...his indiscretions etc.  Who knows? Granted we as fans always expect greatness and anything less is seen as failure...but given the times when Lara's lifestyle was always seen as the reason for him not producing.....sometimes you wonder what could have been.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 12:13:27 PM »

Think bout all the times when Lara's application was questioned...his indiscretions etc.  Who knows? Granted we as fans always expect greatness and anything less is seen as failure...but given the times when Lara's lifestyle was always seen as the reason for him not producing.....sometimes you wonder what could have been.

Did he not mature?  Did he not become an even better player the latter part of his career?

What about Tiger Woods?  Would you say he has fulfilled his potential?  Michael Jordan?  Pele?  Maradona?

If that's the case, has ANYONE EVER fulfilled their potential?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 12:15:48 PM »

As far as I am concern Lara achieve all he could have achieve so 2 expect more would b blasphemous. All he needed was a good team wit him not a couple good players now and then

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 12:23:01 PM »

As far as I am concern Lara achieve all he could have achieve so 2 expect more would b blasphemous. All he needed was a good team wit him not a couple good players now and then

For me...Lara give we gravy too yes.

Ah mean....

375.  Lorse de record
400. Get it back

These are iconic scores in the history of cricket.

501?  1 man?  WTF?

I honestly think we have no REAL appreciation for the genius that is Brian Lara nah.  The mental fortitude he displayed in his career make Yorkie (wit all due respeck) look like a slightly challenged child by comparison.

I think Brian Lara...from a mental standpoint...has utterly destroyed any suggested "mentally weak" stereotypes.  I think from a mental toughness standpoint, he right up there with the greats of ANY SPORT.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 12:52:23 PM »

Except you didn't say "Dwight Yorke, the reason I did well at United"... you said Yorke was the reason he had a career.  Even if you discount his playing career after the pairing at United, your statement still overlooks his achievements before joining United in 1995, including the prolific goalscoring for Bristol (1 every other game) and New Castle (at an even higher rate than at United), culminating in him winning the PFA Young Player of the Year in 93 or 94... putting him on SAF's radar.

Yorke may be the reason why we (Trinidadians) remember Andy Cole... but by no means could a credible argument be made that he's the reason Cole had a career.  If is joke yuh was joking then just say so.

--------------

Great read.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 01:09:13 PM »

We were totally different people. Dwight was, ‘Look at me, I play for United, I’ve got a nice bird and car’. I’m the opposite. I bought a Porsche one year but was so self-conscious that I couldn’t drive it. It took me two months to drive it to training. Yorkey had no such worries.

I saw him two weeks ago and he said: ‘These players today on £100,000 a week. If I earned that money I’d live like a £100,000 a week player with the best cars and birds.”

This had to be the most flaming piece ah drivel I read on this site in a while.

Andy Cole should stay away from typewriters and any computer based word processor for the rest of his natural life.

Before the man write more about their treble winning season he writing about coming to training in ah Porsche and flossing if he had a bigger salary.

Més que un club.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 01:14:43 PM »

This had to be the most flaming piece ah drivel I read on this site in a while.

Andy Cole should stay away from typewriters and any computer based word processor for the rest of his natural life.

Before the man write more about their treble winning season he writing about coming to training in ah Porsche and flossing if he had a bigger salary.

but study dwight nuh...

he done beat out de world ah hoes, but all he studying up to now is, "boy imagine if ah was making 100k a week... ah coulda beat out even more!!"

lol

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 01:18:48 PM »

Except you didn't say "Dwight Yorke, the reason I did well at United"... you said Yorke was the reason he had a career.  Even if you discount his playing career after the pairing at United, your statement still overlooks his achievements before joining United in 1995, including the prolific goalscoring for Bristol (1 every other game) and New Castle (at an even higher rate than at United), culminating in him winning the PFA Young Player of the Year in 93 or 94... putting him on SAF's radar.

Yorke may be the reason why we (Trinidadians) remember Andy Cole... but by no means could a credible argument be made that he's the reason Cole had a career.  If is joke yuh was joking then just say so.

--------------

Great read.

oh gawd allyuh.. obviously ah didnt mean that Yorke literally was the reason for Cole whole career..

I know all about Andy Cole at Newcastle but when i call him a goat, i talking goat within the context of the upper echelons..

I talking specifically about his time at Man Utd, because i really believe Yorke make Andy Cole look ah whole lot better than he really was. To put it succintly, i think if Cole wasnt there Yorke woulda still prosper, but not vice versa.

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 01:50:52 PM »
Yorke is a boss.....

Say wha yuh want bout potential and slackness....Yorke do he do and like heself while doin it. D man win league, FA cup, champions league, championship divison, A league, best defensive player in a world cup (sic), most goals, player of d year and Cole talkin bout potential? Only ting yorke hadda do now is get one ah dem million dollar contract udecott givin out and is a wrap.

De reason why yuh hadda love men like yorke, lara and bill clinton, is dat dey like deyself when dey had d eyes of d world on dem. How much ah we could say we do dat?

I remember we did play south africa a few years back ,ah tink was 99 or so, and yorke was trainin in d stadium. At dat time Bertille was at d helm and d u23 team used to train wit d senior team. Yorke get a cross ball and take it on he chest and score a volley and one ah d young playes tell yorke 'do it again nah'. Yorke pass d ball to him and tell him cross it..he do d exact same ting, and tell d youth (in a decidedly trini accent), "Doh get tie up, dais my wuk". From dat day i realise yorke on a completely differnt level.

Imagine yorke in he 38th year still studying how much hoes and rims he woulda pull wid money footballers makin nowadays...yuh gotta love him.

How d muddacu$# yuh could fall asleep in trainin...dat is level madness!!!

But yuh know wha...dais yorke...and dais why we love him.

Respect Dwight...money does done...hoes doh done...like yuhself.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 02:04:34 PM »
Respect Dwight...money does done...hoes doh done...like yuhself.

profound

1]; } ?>