April 28, 2024, 08:20:10 AM

Author Topic: Pumas scores twice late, draws 2-2 with W Connection  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pumas scores twice late, draws 2-2 with W Connection
« on: September 17, 2009, 05:59:03 AM »
Pumas scores twice late, draws 2-2 with W Connection
concacafchampions.com

Paco Palencia scored two minutes into injury time to rally Pumas to a 2-2 draw with W Connection on Wednesday, keeping it unbeaten in the Group Stage of the CONCACAF Champions League.

Pumas twice equalized from one-goal deficit in the final three minutes with a flurry of offense not seen earlier in the match. Victor Rosales had equalized for Pumas in the 87th minute before Renato Pereira converted a corner kick in the 89th minute to restore W Connection's lead.

Jonathan Farias scored his second goal of the Champions League from a bouncing cross in the 21st minute, a tally that looked like it would hold until the flurry of goals in the final minutes.

The result left Pumas atop Group D with seven points, four better than Comunicaciones and Real Espana, which were face off on Thursday.

W Connection remained at the bottom with only one point.

Pumas, which has lost seven of eight games in the Mexican Apertura this season and sits 16th in the 18-team league, scored more in the last three minutes than it had in its previous two league matches.

Rosales latched onto a ball that pinged through the penalty area from a corner kick to seemingly rescue Pumas, which had been outplayed for much of the match. Pereira responded two minutes later, looping a backward header from a corner by Hector into the upper corner of the net.

Palencia, who has not scored in seven games in the Mexican Apertura, was unmarked at the back post when a corner was headed through the area in the 92nd minute, driving a right-footed shot from the edge of the six-yard box.

Pumas started an all-Mexican team with a mix of veterans such as Palencia and rarely used reserves. It had the better of possession for the first 10 minutes, but produced nothing dangerous.

W Connection eventually asserted control, generating a pair of corners by the 20th minute and finally exploiting the advantage a minute later.

Hughton Hector bounced a cross into the penalty area from the right side that Farias took off his chest, and volleyed the bounding ball with his right foot across the goal just inside the left post from 10 meters.

W Connection continued to have the better of play for the remainder of the half, forcing Pumas goalkeeper Odin Patino to punch away a shot from distance by Hector in the 30th minute and grab another shot by Farias in the 39th.

Pumas' only real opportunity came in the 41st when W Connection keeper Jan Michael Williams had to dive right to knock away Javier Cortes' shot from distance.

The Mexicans started more brightly to start the second half, with Oscar Rojas forcing Williams into a save in the 48th minute and three minutes later when Fernando Espinoza worked his way through the penalty area before the ball was tackled away.

But W Connection again reasserted itself. Farias was sent in on goal virtually unmarked in the 60th only to shoot wide. He also ran onto a loose ball in the 81st in the penalty area, and again shot wide.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Pumas scores twice late, draws 2-2 with W Connection
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 06:48:03 AM »
extended highlights.

well done connection.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6EPqUacBdlU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6EPqUacBdlU</a>

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 07:10:10 AM »
A couple of things about this game. At first, W Connection was representing, they started to look like a class outfit. They were running, tackling, defending, and then a funny thing happened along the way, they started to pass the rock, to one another. I kept saying keep the rock, keep the rock. Hughton started to play his game and Frias started to show his true colors. Leon, Oliviera, and Aguillera were holding down the middle and then they scored. There were a few errand passes here and there but nothing to really complain about. Then when the half ended I thought W Connect could win this game if they only continue to run, tackle, defend, pass the ball to one another and score more goals.

Then the second half started and it was like I was watching a different game. W Connect stopped running like they were not match fit, they stopped tackling, they started passing the ball to the guy on the other team, at one point I thought maybe these guys were color blind, they started playing in spurts, and Frias threw away two easy goals that cost W Connect the game. If he is not kicking himself now I want to kick his ass. Then I started looking for the young gun but he was playing over at Naps, they surely could have used him last night. Clyde Leon disappeared from the game entirely, Aguillera was non existent, Oliviera stopped tackling, and Hector was either marked out of the game or he was just tired, either way what W Connect forgot was this was an Mexican team that does not stop running. They know how to beat people and they were not going to let W Connect walk away with 3 points.

So the game plan that was followed to a tee in the first 45 went out the window in the second and as a result W Connect blew a golden opportunity to win a very important game at home, a result that will probably come back to haunt them later on. In conclusion, somebody should have reminded W Connect that this is a 90 minute game, it is a Mexican team that plays at high altitude, you must put away your opportunities, dribbling is only necessary when you are in a tight spot or you want to get pass your marker when you are heading towards his goal, and the game is not over until the referee blows his whistle.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 07:13:54 AM »
Then I started looking for the young gun but he was playing over at Naps, they surely could have used him last night.

When I see he name on de scoresheet fuh Naps, I was wondering why he was playing in dat game.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 08:49:08 AM »
LOUD STEUPS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:18:52 AM »

I watch this game last night after going the Jabloteh game night before and them two goals PUMAS score had meh SOUR   >:(
Both goals score same way from a corner with weak marking on the far post.  Is just a few minutes left how it is it have more PUMAS players in front our goal from a corner!!!!  AND TWICE within minutes.

Sickening that they didn't win this game considering how it was going. 

Connection look better than Jabloteh.  Jabloteh had good bit of chances but when you check the DC United keeper eh really make that many save fuss everything going wide and overbar.

Some kinda jumbie or something.  Cah take no solice in how they play...play good and lose feeling worse than play bad and lose.

1]; } ?>